Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Someone else mentioned it yesterday but you're the first to actually link to it. Is it on side quest yet? Might be worth checking out.

Yes lambda1VR is on sidequest, you have to get the HL1 files after you install the APK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wheezle posted:

It is so absurd to me that this is available on Quest but not PCVR. It’s half-life ffs.

Well Dr. Beef apparently has a history of making ports to Android (for Go) so he is just keeping it up. He's also the guy who made the Doom, and Quake1 ports to Go/Quest. Apparently, the Lambda1VR even lets you use mods, so probably SvenCOOP works in VR as well.

If you appreciate the work I'm sure he'd love positive comments/money.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Gort posted:

My Quest is coming in a few days - what are the games I should grab for it right away?
A lot of people I talk to in PokerStars VR seems to have Quest, it's free so might as well try that. There's always Beat Saber, although to me it's kind of overrated. Playing a drat song 10 different times with different stipulations gets kind of boring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks like the broken CV1 touch tracking is finally fixed in 1.40

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cmvsrm/oculus_software_140_released_in_beta_channel_rift/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Finally!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

ijii posted:

A lot of people I talk to in PokerStars VR seems to have Quest, it's free so might as well try that. There's always Beat Saber, although to me it's kind of overrated. Playing a drat song 10 different times with different stipulations gets kind of boring.

So get the mods and never play the same song twice?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Opposite opinion, I hate smooth turning. Give me snap all day and let me just turn my body plz. Smooth turning is hit or miss for people imo.

I used to hate smooth turning and prefer snap turning before I played a game that had it right. Contractors with smooth turning speed turned up to like 260 feels great. Its basically as fast as snap but its incremental so you have better control over your ending orientation.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Praise the vr gods. Its been flaky as hell on 1.39.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Well I got a job and treated myself to a rift s. Loving it so far. A few questions though. Are playlist downloads broken right now in Beat Saber modding? I got Pavlov on steam and it’s got some issues. Having trouble picking things off the floor; I saw someone say that you shouldn’t setup your space in steam vr and that it will pick it up from oculus but steam vr asked me to set up a guardian space. Was that a mistake? Also aiming seems really jittery. I heard there’s a virtual stock mode you should use instead because of the inside out tracking. Would this help? Finally, probably twice a minute the game fades out to the steam background for a few seconds. What is up with that?

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 7, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gort posted:

My Quest is coming in a few days - what are the games I should grab for it right away?

I think if you have even a passing interest in star wars, for 10 bucks that vader game is a must play. Yeah its linear and short, but for 10 bucks I consider it the best amusement park ride I've ever been on, and the production values are top notch. The arcade dojo mode is also more fun that i would have though.

All the free stuff is worth checking out because... well... free and all. So poker stars, bigscreen, rec room, mission iss, vr chat. I also think enough people like beat saber to recommend that, robo recall, and superhot as well.

Beyond that, I dunno I guess it depends on what kind of fun are you looking for? A virtual gun range, gun club VR. Story based games, moss, the wizzards, red matter and others. Sports games, well theres racket NX, Racket furry, and a few boxing games. Liked animal crossing? Check out raccoon lagoon. Pinball FX is there if you like pinball. They also have a few packages with discounts if any of them interest you.

Then you should install sidequest on your PC, theres a lot to check out on there thats free, including a baseball game by our little baby boy stick100.

I dunno, recommendations are a hard thing because half the time people hate the things you like and vice versa.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ralith posted:

So get the mods and never play the same song twice?

Whats the best way to mod it anyway? Use the stuff at bsaber.com, or is there something better?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

RFC2324 posted:

Whats the best way to mod it anyway? Use the stuff at bsaber.com, or is there something better?

I use Mod Assistant, but it routinely breaks and makes me reinstall the game from scratch so maybe there's a better way.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

I used to hate smooth turning and prefer snap turning before I played a game that had it right. Contractors with smooth turning speed turned up to like 260 feels great. Its basically as fast as snap but its incremental so you have better control over your ending orientation.

Yeah still not a fan. I'd rather move in 45 degree snaps or manually turn my body. But I also have wireless and personally don't like the smooth feel. Even in contractors.

Thats what I'm saying. You like it, I don't. Aint no right or wrong here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Smooth turning is the only thing that gives me motion sickness and I legit don't get seasick in small boats in 16' ocean waves that my friends lovingly call "the washing machine"

Quick snaps 4 lyfe yo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is Vox Machinae any good?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

I use SideQuest and BeatOn through that, it's pretty effortless, and the guides at bsaber are really good. SideQuest in particular has gotten really good about the process of getting sideloading going.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

RFC2324 posted:

Vox Machinae has amazing VR implementations, design, and just feel.

They also never did a single player campaign, and the multiplayer, like 99% of VR multiplayer games, is pretty dead.

If you don't mind playing against bots, it is really cool, but, thats really all there is in it. Which is such a shame because its such a fantastic mech experience.

STOP MAKING MULTIPLAYER ONLY GAMES, VR DEVS!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tom Guycot posted:

They will do that when implementing Steam's online service becomes harder than coming up with an interesting story.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

No problem, now no one is making any VR games.

Unfortunately currently VR games don't make economic sense to make. The reason we had a huge spike of VR games was the Steam direct came out the same time as the Vive, so everyone saw a blue ocean and took a shot. Now that everyone has their first game out of the way almost everyone won't follow up with a second.

There are a few that are continuing to support their first game (Thrill of the fight, H3VR), there are a few that moved on from a semi successful game (Sword Master VR to Jet Island) but most everyone else who isn't getting funded directly has now pulled out.

That said I'm working on my second VR game personally.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 7, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The thing is, most of them may as well not exist anyways with stone dead playerbases.

I'm not asking people to make deus ex or something, I'm just saying i'd rather something like vox machinae have put in a 90's shareware era quality of campaign, and have no multiplayer, than no single player, and dead multiplayer. The latter just makes the game useless when it ends up dead like 99% of the multiplayer vr games.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Bah. Considering a lot of AAA games are first person, and there's PSVR if you need a console incentive, it's probably not that hard to implement token VR support for a lot of games. Sure as gently caress wouldn't cost a lot, given the budgets for games, especially because a lot is the game engine, which can be rolled forward to new projects. Move most UI stuff to a virtual PDA in-game and presto. Probably gonna require Microsoft finally releasing an XboxVR and a Halo to go with it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stick100 posted:

(If people stop making multiplayer-only VR games) No problem, now no one is making any VR games.

Huh? Four of the top five VR games on the "What's being experienced list" on Steam are singleplayer-only. (Beat Saber, Skyrim, Job Simulator, Arizona Sunshine, Superhot - I guess you can take turns in Beat Saber but c'mon)

Multiplayer-only VR games are the unusual ones in this market, seems to me.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

RFC2324 posted:

The core VR mechanics are awesome, the actual game mode design is incredibly poor. It's a sad story.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gort posted:

Huh? Four of the top five VR games on the "What's being experienced list" on Steam are singleplayer-only. (Beat Saber, Skyrim, Job Simulator, Arizona Sunshine, Superhot - I guess you can take turns in Beat Saber but c'mon)

Those games are already released so that seems orthogonal to their post

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Fellow Soundboxers, I want to share a deceptively difficult challenge with you, Caramelldansen. The beat map for this challenge seems really simple, so simple I didn't bother to finish it the first time I played it. Give it a chance and just try to play all the way through though and you'll find that the simple, repetitive motions require enough energy that it is hard to keep up with. Once you think you have the base song down, you can add another level of difficulty in - try and move your weight back and forth in time with the beat/video and suddenly you've got a full body workout going. Even better, try and jump with the beat the way the people in the video are doing.

Once you're doing the jumping motion, this song is physically exhausting. It's less than three minutes long and I still can't get through the whole thing without scaling back to moving my legs less even after a month of practice. Fortunately, the challenge maker built in several convenient break points to allow you to catch your breath. It's one of my favorite songs to put in at the "peak" of my workouts now. Because the beat map is so simple, it never feels unfair, it is purely a test of your physical endurance.

In related news, I lost ten pounds last month and my only exercise came from VR games like Soundboxing. Anyone else got challenges they love for exercise?

Hm, I'll have to give this a try though I'll say that your description doesn't have me enthused. Simple patterns bore me in that game very quickly no matter how physically exerting.

In terms of workout maps, this is the longest one I've ever done by far at half an hour. It's scaled back some in intensity from my typical maps but still it will MURDER YOU. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just think more games should have a VR mode. Make your game, then make a way to play it in VR. Of course there will still be games like beat saber that really only work in VR, but adding a VR mode to most games would be good.

I want to play Fortnite in VR and cyberpunk 2099 and the Witcher 3 and and and and

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Gort posted:

Those games are all 3 years old, VR development that's not being funded has ground to a halt. The games you were complaining about (multi-only) were done by small companies (often 1-3 man hobbyist shops) they are not doing that anymore.

These small multi-only games are no longer being made.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

The thing is, most of them may as well not exist anyways with stone dead playerbases.

I'm not asking people to make deus ex or something, I'm just saying i'd rather something like vox machinae have put in a 90's shareware era quality of campaign, and have no multiplayer, than no single player, and dead multiplayer. The latter just makes the game useless when it ends up dead like 99% of the multiplayer vr games.

A 90's shareware era quality campaign and no multiplayer is likely at least 4* as much work than multiplayer. So the developer could have developed nothing, or made the multi we got and hoped VR took off. Pavlov and Onward did the multi only and there are going to be successful for a long time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bah. Considering a lot of AAA games are first person, and there's PSVR if you need a console incentive, it's probably not that hard to implement token VR support for a lot of games. Sure as gently caress wouldn't cost a lot, given the budgets for games, especially because a lot is the game engine, which can be rolled forward to new projects. Move most UI stuff to a virtual PDA in-game and presto. Probably gonna require Microsoft finally releasing an XboxVR and a Halo to go with it.

You can't just add a VR camera and have a good VR mode. There is a hack if you want for all Unity games that can inject code to turn the camera into a VR camera. It makes any non-VR game a VR game but people don't even bother doing it beyond as a goof. Look at all of the discussion back and forth about the fake VR (Vorpx) where most people say if it's not perfect it's not worth doing. Pretty much everyone in this thread has hundred if not thousands of games that would work decently with Vorpx but generally the feeling is to not bother. The problem is people not only want that (a VR camera), they want a custom VR UI, they want hand controls, they want performance improved from ~30fps -> 90+fps. They want all of the screen space shaders/hacks that don't work when you switch from flatscreen->VR converted to a new method.

Subnatica added VR support and it was so much work/a support hassle they didn't even bother having the same implementation on their followup. One would assume the function was already complete but it wasn't worth the both of QA/support to release it even as a mod/hack for the expansion.

Apparently VR usage of Subnatica was roughly 1% of the user-base but they had a massive out sized amount of negative reviews/support requests. In all likely-hood all said and done adding VR to Subnatica might have literally caused them to generate less revenue, if the negative reviews/complaints caused even 1% of non-vr players to not purchase. That's not even counting all of the custom development work/QA/support that went to supporting VR, so likely adding VR support cost them a considerable amount of profit.

A VR mode, is not an easy thing, nor does it make sense in the current market for most game makers to do it. In many cases you are correct that it's relativity easy to implement a very bad VR implementation (as stated above you can even do it yourself on any Unity game you want).

FYI if you want to look it up then search for people making Ghost of a Tale act like Moss (2 different mouse 3d action adventure games).

The market proof of this argument is in the lack of VR remasters, the only company I can think of that's been doing them is Bethesda with Skyrim/FO4. Bethesda has been invested in VR since before the Oculus so they likely followed through in those releases because they started working on them before the market reality (not many PCVR hmd are used often even if there are many out there) had shown itself.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 8, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Y’all arguing about what makes a good VR game like there isn’t already a VR game that lets you play paintball where a US president was assassinated

https://store.steampowered.com/app/615070/Dealey_Plaza_Paintball/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not asking people to make deus ex or something,

Oh man, the original Deus Ex from 2000, in VR would be amazing. It actually uses a common engine, looking forward to that VR conversion someday. Given the story and pacing that would make an ideal VR game. Looks like someone went ahead and did a hi res texture mod for it already.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've posted this everywhere anyone might listen but I'll say it again: UE1's rendering system is plugin based and there's an SDK available. Creating a VR mod would be quite a bit of work but simply getting VR output should be doable without a bunch of hacks. VR controls would require code injection, though.

The alternative is remaking the game in UE4 but Deus Ex is complex enough that doing so would be extremely difficult. People have tried re-implementing the game before (I remember someone attempting to porting it to UE2) but nothing ever came of it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I was just thinking a Dungeon Keeper style game would loan itself well to VR

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Walrus posted:

Hm, I'll have to give this a try though I'll say that your description doesn't have me enthused. Simple patterns bore me in that game very quickly no matter how physically exerting.

In terms of workout maps, this is the longest one I've ever done by far at half an hour. It's scaled back some in intensity from my typical maps but still it will MURDER YOU. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115

Cool. Your maps are always very challenging but I'm slowly getting to the point where I can 100% some of them. Your 2018 mix is what I'm stuck on right now. I've yet to go more than four minutes on that one without missing a beat. I'm going to keep working on it because its definitely not boring.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

I've posted this everywhere anyone might listen but I'll say it again: UE1's rendering system is plugin based and there's an SDK available. Creating a VR mod would be quite a bit of work but simply getting VR output should be doable without a bunch of hacks. VR controls would require code injection, though.

The alternative is remaking the game in UE4 but Deus Ex is complex enough that doing so would be extremely difficult. People have tried re-implementing the game before (I remember someone attempting to porting it to UE2) but nothing ever came of it.

What a shame.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm looking for a decent VR headset to use with my gaming PC, which will primarily be used seated / standing in place due to limited room. What's my best option? Just get a Rift S? Not needing any sensors is a good selling point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Y’all arguing about what makes a good VR game like there isn’t already a VR game that lets you play paintball where a US president was assassinated

https://store.steampowered.com/app/615070/Dealey_Plaza_Paintball/

I was pretty drunk last night, mistook this for Dealey Plaza Pinball, and became incredibly confused

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I tried my brother's Quest with the glasses adapter and it was comfortable - should I expect the same or better if I get a Rift S?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've not had a chance to try it yet, but GNOG is free on EGS (also on steam for money if you hate EGS) and has VR support.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/gnog/home

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fun story. I saw that game in a giant bomb quicklook and was upset that it was only on PS4. I saw gnog was free and it looked cool. When I was loading up the game, I thought "I wish they would have released that game for PC" and then I realized it is that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Party Boat posted:

I'm looking for a decent VR headset to use with my gaming PC, which will primarily be used seated / standing in place due to limited room. What's my best option? Just get a Rift S? Not needing any sensors is a good selling point.

Yeah, just get the Rift S. Windows Mixed Reality sets are also an option, but the Rift has much better controllers.