Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chadzok posted:

people need to be warned to get a savegame or something that skips the entire intro, it made me sick as poo poo with all it's stupid cutscenes. and it was only partially the horrible camera movements, mostly it was the terrible, terrible plot.

Close your eyes through it or just get up and grab a snack/drink until it's finished if you can't skip it? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just got through with my first Oculus Rift session, and FUUUUUUCKKKKK.... :fap:

But let's go back to the beginning, shall we? First, I started to set it up on my 1070: 3x DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI. I had two monitors already connected, 1 HDMI-HDMI and 1 DP-HDMI, so I unplugged the former and got another DP-HDMI cable, then connected the Rift. When I booted, that one monitor I reconnected, an Ultrawide with a native resolution of 2560x1080 was only showing up as FHD in Windows. As it turns out, all the DP-HDMI cables I have, and all that I could find only support FHD as the maximum resolution; as mentioned there's only the one HDMI port and the Rift needs it, and neither monitor has DP, so I was banging my head against the wall at this point. I ended up digging up one of those DVI-HDMI adapters, and that solved the problem. A half-hour wasted already!

Next, I tried to hunt for USB controller driver updates, because the Rift compatibility utility reported an incompatibility. Apparently Oculus doesn't quite understand the "U" in "USB" stands for "Universal" so any ports meeting the minimum version of the spec should be fine, but in the end it was all irrelevant as the Rift works fine. Another half-hour or so dicking around with this!

Next was the software installation and setup. I got to the sensor setup/calibration part and ended up wanting to throw those goddamn things against the wall; too close, too far, not centered enough, etc. I still don't know what the gently caress the software wanted me to do, because I ended up skipping that part and it works fine. Maybe another half hour spent here? I also spent some time installing SteamVR.

Now I get to wear the HMD for the first time! It didn't take that long to finally get it on, but I struggled to get it fitted with my eyeglasses on, and it barely fits. The only downside is that the by the end of the session, the Rift lenses got some skin oil on them from my eyebrows due to being pressed against my face. That's not exactly easy to get off and to get super clean if they only want me to use a microfiber cloth and no liquid cleaners whatsoever. (I think it's weird I can't even use lens cleaner that would otherwise be fine for eyeglasses and camera lenses. :shrug:)

Finally...it's alive! That intro environment, the workshop with the robot was loving awesome! It took a short while getting used to grasping things, and also not hitting the wall or the desk/monitor in front of me, but that was a fantastic intro to VR! Then, I configured my avatar thing and browsed for some software. The first thing I ended up installing was Google Earth for some reason (while browsing for games) and even though I've used it before, it was so much more, well, immersive! I visited my house, landmarks, cities, etc. Even though it was only loving Google Earth it was incredible! Even after ending the session, just sitting here typing this on my Chromebook I still feel detached, like my hands are floating and so is the display. I'm sure I'll return to normal soon.... :stare:

Now I guess I have to find some actual games to play in VR! :v: I have Elite Dangerous, which I've only played once or twice, so I might see how that goes in VR. I tried Minecraft, which I never really liked in the first place. I played the regular SuperHot, (which I highly recommend either way, btw) so I'll probably try that although it looks like I have to buy the VR version separately. :/ I'll also probably get Killing Floor and Eve, because I have experience with both of those IPs. Then I'd really like to investigate VorpX and try to get some regular games running if possible.

Am I missing anything else? Is there a way to use the Rift for other general-purpose stuff? Just navigating my desktop, watching regular videos, etc.? What about 3D videos?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm just happy everything worked despite any warnings or potential incompatibilities. I can't wait for my next session, which won't be for a few days.

I guess I'm fortunate that my >4-year-old PC (upgraded) has a compatible USB controller despite not being recognized as such.

I checked out the compatibility for VorpX; there's actually a ton of stuff there that looks like it works, I already own, and should be pretty fun. CoD, Battlefield, Bioshock, Borderlands, Crysis, Dead Space, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Metro, Portal, Payday 2. Then there's Duke Nukem Forever :stare: and Alien Isolation, the latter of which I started a while back and may or may not be too loving freaky to play in VR. :ohdear:

Nalin posted:

It is one of the best games in VR, in my opinion. It adds a ton to the experience.

SUPERHOT VR is an entirely separate game from the original. Don't feel like you are just buying the same version again, but in VR.

Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop are the big two for navigating your desktop and stuff. Bigscreen has less options, but lets you screen share with a bunch of people in a virtual room.

I'll give Elite a shot, but from what I experienced the first time I played, there's a ton to learn (and then remember) and I'm afraid I won't be able to devote much time to this game. I'm glad Superhot VR is actually a new experience. I installed (but didn't try) Bigscreen on Steam, but I'll have to check out Virtual Desktop.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

My friend helped me out with Elite the first time, and there were a lot of menus and steps to go through just to do things like launch the drat ship, and then to land it, not to mention the nuances of combat and learning ships and equipment. I'd have to learn it all over again, and probably wouldn't be able to stay with it to keep familiar with how to play, but I digress.

I forgot to ask, how are the Oculus Earphones the IEM replacements for the stock on-ear monitors? The former are generally what I'd prefer between the two options, although I'll see if something like my A50s fit over the HMD maybe.

Is the Oculus Remote useful? It wasn't included in the Oculus + Touch package I got from Amazon, and it's probably deprecated now that Touch is standard.

Also on that note, is there any point in connecting a controller (that I already have?) I know the Rift used to come with an Xbox controller before Touch came out, but now is there anything I'd need a real controller for (and I have an Xbox, PS4, and Steam controller if necessary) or can Touch do everything?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, thanks for all the comments regarding the remote, controllers, and games.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

What's up, new Rift user buddy? :hfive: I thought the same about the tutorial; did you make yourself two of the dart guns as well? :iamafag:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sup :hfive:

I went crazy with the rockets. If you're looking for something else, The Lab is on Steam for free and it was a lot of fun too, though I will need to move some furniture around to really take advantage of the room scale stuff.

I always assumed VR was a gimmick and never really had any interest in it. But I tried out a Robo Recall demo at Best Buy and was instantly convinced. It's a shame the game selection is still so limited, and there is a lot of junk out there, but when it's good it's VERY good. I really hope they are working on more content like RR.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine what VR is going to be like (or to describe it to other people) if you've never experienced it before. I just decided to go for the Rift once the Touch bundle went on sale, particularly because I don't have room for the Vive's roomscale and I hear it's more complicated to set up or something like that. Either way it doesn't matter, because I'm super happy with the Rift!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan posted:

A few (probably dumb) questions

Does your monitor's max resolution need to meet or beat the headset's resolution in order for the image to render correctly? Mine didn't when I tried and had to return a Vive back in April and I'm wondering if that's part of why it looked so bad that I couldn't even make out the sights on some models of gun in H3VR. I still have the same one, so i want to know if I need to replace it if I end up with a windows mixed reality as a gift for myself this winter.

On a related note, depending on who you read, Microsoft either hasn't announced whether WMR headsets will support SteamVR, or HAS announced that they won't. Does SteamVR need to be running in order for a VR Game in your Steam library to launch? Has anyone with a WMR devkit tried? Or was everyone in those amateur blog posts and comment sections saying "SteamVR" when they meant "Steam. Period." and this is an even dumber question than I thought.

The HMD is actually its own monitor, that's why it has a connection to your video card. It makes no difference what the rest of your monitor setup is like. Your Vive must not've been adjusted correctly.

The SteamVR titles appear to have their own separate entries in your game list, so I think you can just launch them directly, although I haven't gotten into SteamVR yet.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

iceaim posted:

Would you consider it an immersive game even when played on a monitor? I can't wait to try it in VR, even if it's just standing or even sitting with a controller.

Isolation gets pretty immersive even on a regular monitor just because it's so intense. When you're being chased by a goddamn Xenomorph that you cannot kill* you focus on that, and that alone, real quick. :ohdear:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hey get this, you're the weird guy that turns "Some guy bought something, he ended up not liking it" into a "THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO BETTER INFORM YOURSELF, CONSUMER" nonsense

He didn't like it dude, he tried it and he didn't like it and then he returned it, hooolllyyy fuuuckkkk

I think his point was the absurdity of someone plunking $400 to play one game and then being left with a $400 paperweight after realizing that the one game isn't very good. It would be the same scenario if you bought a console just to play some exclusive title and then it turns out the game sucks. I mean the hardware isn't a "paperweight" in either situation, because of course you could do other things with it, but in that case you're trying to justify your large purchase rather than it fulfilling your original purpose.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I tried Doom 3 VR today; it's either not working like I thought it would or something's wrong with my config. The movement controls move the protagonist forward into the play area, out of the player's first-person view, and IIRC head movements snap the camera back, while the turning control only turns the view in steps rather than smoothly. It's not playable in that state. :shrug:

Then I tried Alien Isolation; it works better, but it's still clearly not as good as a native VR title. The text is hard to read, aiming is difficult if not impossible (not that you're really supposed to be shooting everything) and interacting with objects (computers, etc.) puts them right in your face so you have to lean back. Other than that, it works and is at least as spooky as playing the game traditionally. You can hide in a locker and then move your head around to peek out the vents like IRL! Turning using the controls without using your head is a little disorienting, although to be fair that's more realism than a bug. I only played a little bit, continuing off my save, and probably won't try playing it in VR again until it's much more improved, but it's nice to know that it's at least possible to retrofit older games to mostly work in VR.

This is my first experience of the contrast between native and non-native VR games, and the difference is pretty obvious. I've got to re-think how I expect to use the Rift.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That makes sense! Thanks, I'll give that a try the next chance I get.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cacator posted:

The stats say that, but the manual (and confirming with the Oculus setup) says otherwise! :devil:

You should be able to tell the difference visually, USB 3 ports have 5 extra contacts:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SLI for gaming used to be helpful years ago back when GPU performance was more limited across the board and you could genuinely get good performance for the money from a pair of mid-range cards. Now by comparison we have Pascal in particular, which gives us great performance for the money while being power-efficient. I mean the 1060 is the FHD workhorse, but you can get a 1050 Ti and good midrange FHD performance AND entry-level VR for, let's see...um, $150 now (prices have gone up recently, :wtc:). Arguably cards like the 1030 and 560 can give you dirt-cheap entry-level gaming, too, so there really isn't a need to double-up midrange cards anymore.

Cacator posted:

4 pins on the front ports. There is a 3.1 USB-C port there too so if I bought an adapter I could potentially use that instead. But my play area is small enough right now that this isn't going to be an issue yet.

This'll do! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

What does everyone use to store their headsets? I currently have my Vive and its controllers kind of in a pile on my desk and the clutter annoys me.

For comparison, my Rift is in this.