Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So. Is there anyway to stop the oculus home from launching when I pickup the headset? I'd really like to just use steamVR for my steam poo poo, when im not using the rift software. But it keeps wanting to run?

I havent dove into steamvr hard yet, but i'm kinda annoyed that poo poo runs every time I pickup the headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

The oculus software is required to use the rift, which is kind of lame.

So basically, do the ghetto add a program thing and point it at steam vr like this thing says? http://gamedummy.com/steamvrforoculus/

To be honest, Home is super slick and if I can wiggle steam into it, that'll be fine. Less I have to take my headset off, the better.

Would be nice to disable the auto on either way. Weird not having a choice on that. Or at least, ive found in the 15 min I looked.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Cojawfee mentioned it, but this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully is a helpful tool with a lot of debug and other options, one of which is a one click way to add a steamVR shortcut to home. Its handy because I don't even have to fiddle around with starting steam or doing anything on my desktop, i just throw on the headset, and click on the steam link if I want to play something from within steamVR. You can do it manually like in the link you found, but considering all the other functionality of the tray tool that i've used, and how easy it makes it to add, I'd just do that.

It also has options to stop the oculus services whenever closing out of the trey tool so it doesn't auto start, you just have to launch the trey tool and it starts it all up when you want to do VR.

Yeah, Did that, And this looks like my solution.

Thanks guys.

GTX 960 4 gigs doing just fine on it. I have an upgrade planned but figured id give this thing a run for its money first.

Gorn
Robo Recall

So far, Run great. No issues. Gorns a little hilarious since my play area is a tiiiiiny bit small, but it works.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Amazon claims my Rift will arrive in the next couple days. What sorts of games/demonstrations should I get to help introduce me to T1 VR? Free experiences would be nicest, but things worth cash I don't mind.

Robo Recall has been "fantastic" For the exp right after the oculus setup. Just start there. For real.

I bought way too much poo poo, and already feel like im gonna start back logging things

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JazzFlight posted:

Doing Robo Recall first might make everything afterwards seem lame, lol. It's that good.

Haha.

I followed up with Gorn. So I wasnt let down. Gonna give star trek a shot now. O_O

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

I've honestly never had a problem with steam. i set it up and haven't thought about it since. Didn't need to do any chaperone editing, advanced settings tweaks, floor fix, or anything. Just turned off chaperone bounds and everything so far has worked without issue.

2 days in and so far same. I use steams nice straight walls for my "you have a few inches left" walls, and left my oculus guardian walls as my "ok you can reach out here, just not real far" walls.

Oddly. I like having 2 sets of walls. Am I crazy?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Thats a fairly clever implementation, but yes, you are crazy.

"Small room"

Figured, Itll save a window or two (It did, night one. Lost a blind, but had the wall thing not been there i may have punched it out tbh). Office has 2 giant windows.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 19, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dude thank you. I was just thinking about this and you've basically wrote a how to.

Thanks again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oculus users seriously have to put up with all that poo poo just to use SteamVR? WTG facebook.

No. I personally just left it alone and am super happy. The borders don't ruin my immersion at all, and I personally like having steams be my "oh poo poo" wall.

I feel like you could use one tool to merge them. And use the oculus tray and be done with it. Honestly. I'm still rookie with all this Vr stuff but it's all pretty simple and with the tray thing, it really solves the core issues with oculus home anyways. Persistent running services and poo poo.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Super Dude posted:

Now that the Rift + Touch is down to $399, I'm seriously considering picking one up. I already have a capable computer, so it's just the VR stuff I need now.

How much room do I need? I live in a small manhattan studio, so I don't have a lot to work with. If I can use USB extension cables, I should be able to move the sensors so I'll have about a 4x7 foot play area.

Thats kinda my play space.

Ive trashed one set of blinds (Before I got used to my play space).

Gorn and steamVR says "ha good luck" but since I know my space now, it seems fine. I'm also still doing 2 front sensors and it baffles me how good rear tracking can be without a sensor in the rear.

Anyone have a review of the VRCover replacements? I want something more comfortable and the full replacement they have for like 50 bucks seems like itll do the job. I've decided im going full tilt on this VR thing. Its a poo poo ton of fun so might as well make my headset more comfy.

EDIT: Guess theres a couple other companies. One being https://widmovr.com

That looks super nice. Anyone got one? Gonna google around a bit, but hell thats cheapish.
Then theres some eye pillow thing on amazon now too with ok reviews?

Whats goons recommend. I'm now finding too many choices. Whos got what?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 22, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

I've gone all in on VR.

After having it a week, me too. Night 1 I knew I'd be throwing money at it. Now I'm sure.

Here comes video card upgrades

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Not entirely true, depends on the game. Vehicular games are superb in VR without motion controls, as are rhythm games like Thumper or Rez. Resident Evil 7 is also more than just a game on a gimmicky monitor in VR, it's a massive improvement. It can be a total paradigm shift if pulled off right.

Is for like almost any normal person. Until motion controls were added almost everyone I know said the same thing "gimmicky monitor"

Sure there's a few games that are fun in Vr without them but it's not the same. Not even close. I actually get bummed out now when games don't support hands. Almost don't want to boot em up. It's a good thing thumper is so drat fun.

I wanted a vive, bad. But the wands are dumb sorry. The oculus touch is exactly what vr needs with motion control so right now, I can't imagine trying to play anything with those dumb wands now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

The difference between Oculus and Vive controllers are very minor to the point of being a wash though? Your hands being tracked is the whole deal, holding on to a stick with a thumb stick or a touch pad isn't so much a big difference. We can talk about the v. important 'crawling on the ground holding the controller' demo tho if you'd like :v:

See I disagree, Holding the vive wands feels like a wii controller with better tracking and more buttons. The touch controls feel like im using my hands to hold poo poo. Its a different feel.

moosecow333 posted:

Any tips on how I could reduce the 'pit in your stomach' feeling, or is this just a case of not having my VR Legs yet?

Part getting your VR legs, Part some poo poo will just do that.
InMind VR did that to me the whole way through during the "fast movement" parts. Super cool, but def that tummy feel a ton.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

I don't get that at all, at least not to the degree you see. Still though I am looking forward to Valve's Knuckle controllers which should be the next level above Touch.

I promise you will. Promise HUUUUGE promise. They feel so much like using your hands its not weird doing grasping motions and poo poo. Like, from moment one it just "Makes sense".

If the knuckles are even 1/2 as good your mind is going to explode.

Now I wont say the vive controllers are bad in general, They feel fine for a lot of gun games, and stuff. Just for the price difference? Theres no reason right now to buy a vive. They need to drop the price drastically and get those knuckles going.

I do really like the vives tracking system better on principle, the whole usb cables across my room is annoying af.

Sure a god drat shame these companies cant just combine forces for the good of VR so we dont have to have these separate markets of poo poo.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 24, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

Just don't leave them in direct sunlight for days, it's fine. Maybe a cover on it to keep dust out. You're way overthinking this.

Seriously. I didn't even think about this. And still won't. It's not like you'd want lots of light in your Vr space anyways, and are people really laying the headsets on window ledges so they can get some sunlight? Lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Also, don't store it in a way where anything covers the proximity sensor near the forehead. If it is plugged into the PC and the prox sensor is being tripped it'll just run the displays, which would in turn cause wear on the OLEDs and your GPU would have to crank up to render Oculus Home 24/7.

Oculus tray tool linked a few pages ago solves this by turning off the oculus services when it's not running.

Still a good idea in general, but yeah, I got sick of bumping my headset and having home open. That was the fix.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kaffo posted:

I am curious how about 60% of this thread is people talking about Rift cable/USB problems.
Once you get that USB stuff sorted out, do most people find they don't need to touch anything and it's fine forever?

FWIW I got my Vive and plugged it in and it worked perfectly in two rooms, on two different PCs and I've demoed to twice at two different work places (that's a lot of "two"s) with no problems...
That said the Vive headstrap can suck a dick and even after having it for more than a year I still can't work out the right way to put the thing on. I think I just have a weird head...

Ninja edit: My flatmate wrapped our living room light in padding so I could punch it when playing Soundboxing and not break the light. Someone should have seen VR coming and decided to offset lights from the middle of the room.

I started using it on a prebuilt non gaming acer then moved to and a cheapish asus board and corsairs cases front USB for the second sensor. No problem. Ever. They are on a weird shelf so they get cut off on the ground in places because of my desk. Defiantly need to grab a third sensor. My setup will just be best with 3. We'll see how it works then. So far so good. My buddy with a vive is having all kinds of USB problems. Sucks. He don't deserve that.

It's been good for me. Even when I was super on low end video hardware for the games I was playing in VR. And it was good enough on a 960 4gig that I went all in, picked up a 1080. Now I could not be happier.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bobfather posted:

Another Rift user here that nailed front facing on the first try, then nailed room-scale with 2 sensors on the second try. Sensors are like 11-15 feet apart diagonally too, and still no problems. Tracks great!

Yeah.

Kurr. Stop being a goon a min. :-P

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Play Echo Arena

Edit: people will help teach your mom how to play https://clips.twitch.tv/SpeedySleepyClipsmomTinyFace

Hopefully I'll give it more time and have these kind of exps. So far, mine has been getting put against some high level and his friends, with us being 3 strangers with no idea what we're doing, then that high level basically just running over us over and over and over. Its super fun!

I also tend to have super bad luck with matchmaking of any kind.

The game itself seems like itll be fun, once I can get into some lobbies with other scrubby noobs. :)

Zaphod42 posted:

In rating of most to least comfortable:

Start with "standing" games: Job Sim, Superhot, Rick & Morty, Star Trek Bridge Crew

Then try "cockpit" games: War Thunder, Dirt Rally, Project Cars, iRacing,

Then try some "teleport" locomotion games: The Lab, Arizona Sunshine, etc.

THEN after you feel comfortable you can try the stuff that needs "Vr legs", which would be anything with artificial locomotion.

To be 100% honest. Just play the poo poo that came free with the touch/rift bundle. Skip steamVR right out of the gate (seriously, its fine, it works, whatever, just, get to it after you actually enjoy some VR first), and just play the stuff that came.

That stupid platformer lucky whatever, is really really fun if you need something to ease you into VR more than the intro stuff does. Theres robo recall, theres buried and dead or whatever its called (more fun with friends or online for sure, solo its touuuuugh).

I made the mistake of "getting ready" for VR, and had all kinds of games picked out, bought, etc. Totally should have just waited, played with the free stuff, THEN started looking for poo poo to play.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 2, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to ship from the oculus store (I'm in the states)? It seems like all the best buys near me are sold out too and I wanted to buy before the sale is over.

Got a microcenter near you? Assuming you wanted it "now" and not wanting to wait.

And based on the facebook spam posts I see, most people are waiting weeks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Grey posted:

How do I get Dead and Buried for free?

I've only had my Rift for a couple days and am still figure out basic stuff. A couple questions?

- How do I get back to the original Oculus demo that started when I first set it up? (The one with the alien staring at you, the dinosaur walking over you, etc.)
- I only have one sensor hooked up so far. It's working better then I expected so far, but some reason it always has me facing in the exact opposite direction of it. It wasn't like that at first. Any idea how to reset it? I tried the thing with the green cross and the other config item where it has you look in the direction you want to be, but Oculus home always ends up being behind me.

Setup your second sensor, Seriously. Also the starting thingy I think should be in your library.

Did they remove the free games from the "new bundle?" Thought those were just freebies for having touch controls. So uh, Go to the store and download it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Grey posted:

Thanks, I guess it's time to setup the Touch.

Kind of weird, but I was trying to go slowly with VR and just do basic stuff to begin with. I don't want to set the expectation bar too high immediately and not be able to enjoy the lower tier stuff. It's like the person who said don't play Robo Recall first because everything else will seem lame compared to it.

The Rift is already blowing away my expectations. I've read a ton about VR and watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but people are right when they say you just need to experience it.

Whoever said don't play robo recall because the bar is too high after that is a dolt. Sorry. I'm having a poo poo ton of fun with "non" robo recall stuff. I agree that theres not as many well polished shooty mc shooty games, but raw data is really good, Superhots I guess really good in VR (waiting for cheaper than 20, just cant pay that much). Plus don't neglect yourself of john woo robot time. Put it this way, A friend of mine with a vive paid full price for it (on my raving about it), and basically is thanking me for reviving his love for VR. You will replay the living poo poo out of robo recall. Setup your touch controls and be a god drat action hero for a while.

IN fact, I just came to post whoever said they needed more soundboxing "buddies" or whatever. I took a dive for the price, and instantly hated you, because as a new user, getting going was refund worthy. But I got going, and holy poo poo this is an amazing game. It needs some "tutorial" poo poo for new users for sure. But man, this is now going to get played a ton. Its so good.

So whoever you are, Thanks. 100% plan on using this for a "workout" game. Its really fun.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 2, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

ADR1FT is probably the worst experience I've had. It took Lone Echo to convince me that space might be cool.

Me too sadly. I was super excited to play it in VR too after my dicking around non VR. :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ammanas posted:

Adult onset adhd

Work has programmed us to multitask, I just look at it like that, then its fine.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

A couple things to note for folks though, OVRDrop does cost money, and it only works through steamVR so if you have a rift you can't use it with elite for instance running natively through the oculus software. It might be better in that case to check out Hello.v which is free and does work natively on the rift (steamVR isn't supported, though thats supposed to be coming "soon") first.

And it works really well. I lose a couple frames on a 1080 with i7 4790. But it works well for twitch and poo poo.

Some games require injecting "after" it's ran though. Like robo recall for example. Also discord for its good and the goon who wrote it (shout out to ed) is seemingly always

TomR posted:

Apparently you can use more than 4 sensors with the Oculus Rift: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6reww8/5_sensors_and_hidden_wires/

Didn't oculus themselves say anything over 3 is pointless and can cause more confusion with sensors and stuff than it's worth?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

What happened to all those claims that Rift roomscale works flawlessly with only two sensors?

It does actually, If you take the time to do the sensors right, and dont have USB problems, Then you most likely will have a great exp with 2 sensors.

Hackan Slash posted:

Just got my rift and fired up Robot Recall. This is the greatest thing ever.

On a little bit of a downer, there's what appears to be two cloudy sections on my lenses. Nothing major but it is occasionally noticeable. Is there some way to deal with that? I'm guessing its adhesive from the covers but cloth doesn't seem to be cutting it and they put the fear of God into me about trying any type of cleaner.

Try wiping it off with the cloth, and look at it from an angle. If the lenses are on, itll "look" weird in the center. I legit thought mine was hosed up too, It was just a weird image reflection while i was cleaning it. The lense cover plastic had no adhesive, so if its got poo poo on it id call whoever you got it from if it really is gunky. Also keep in mind your image will never be crystal clear, VR is just kinda blurry.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Darke GBF posted:

drat, Arizona Sunshine is pretty intense at times. Robo Recall usually wasn't very challenging, so a game where you'll die if you're not accurate enough is pretty scary.

Although I'm kind of at the point where I can just empty the clips into oncoming hordes and still have enough ammo. Normal is pretty generous with the ammo pickups.

If all you did in robo recall was play the story through. Sure. Not challenging.

Now shoot for high scores with friends. And mess wth mods. Games got replay like huge

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

recommend some mods?

He already got you, But basically those, plus skim the oculus/epic forum. Theres heaps of random poo poo.

http://www.roborecallmods.com/ seems to be like, a weird feed of poo poo from everywhere. Gonna be installing those reptar pistols tonight I think. :getin:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

you mentioned increased difficulty, anything along those lines?

You hitting world record high scores in ace mode? There's difficulty built right in. I didn't say difficulty mods did I? Ok good I didn't. And off hand I don't, I'm still working on completing all the challenges.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

I disagree, VR games don't have to necessarily be first person. Being an omnipotent observer works fantastically with Lucky's Tale storybook conceit and it still draws you into his world far more than if you were just playing Mario with 3D glasses or something.

My only problem with it is that its just not a very good platformer outside of the novelty of being a cute VR game. Luckily you can just load up Dolphin and play Mario in VR though.

Exactly. Being able to "walk" around a level and peak around corners and stuff is really cool. Lucky's Tale isnt the best game but I'm having a hoot with it, and it makes me hope for more games like it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Good news. Lucky's Tale 2 is coming out on xbonx without the VR.

Uninterested in non VR though :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Your opinion is wrong :colbert:

Unless you're using big screen with friends then it's fine tho?

:smug:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

That would require goons to have friends :smug:

:negative:

True. Most of mine are too poor or not interested.

So how do you let someone interact with your screens in big screen? I figured it would be "possible" somehow to play local coop poo poo but I'm starting to think that's a no go?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Gunheart is pretty bad huh

Also curious about this

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

So get a Displayport->HDMI or DVI->HDMI adapter. They're purely passive so they're cheap.

Super cheap.

Like 6 bucks shipped on amazon cheap.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Anyone have recommendations on USB cables on the cheap? I have some 6 footers that work, But i really need an extra couple feet for my rear sensor. (btw 2 sensor 360 works great on rift.) Would be nice to perma mount the wires and poo poo instead of unhooking it since its in front of my door when im not playing.

Rather not deal with super expensive cables but if I "have" to i will.

Picked these up

https://www.menards.com/main/storag...26684192&ipos=1

Work fantastic for cheap shelves for sensors.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

What do you consider "on the cheap"? These work really well, and 15' should be enough it sounds like. At those lengths you need an active extension and you're not going to find an active extension for less than $15 probably (you could get a 2.0 active extension for 10 bucks, but I think its worth just getting a 3.0 one).

Oh thats not terrible. 5 foot more than I probably need. I'm also seeing plenty of active cables with good reviews for 10-14 bucks shipped as well. The 6 foot ones I use now were like, 7 bucks for 2, Kinda why I was hoping for 10 foot non actives or something for like pennies.

Really think I need active If i max out at 10 foot? I'm just being a cheap rear end about it to be honest, I'll end up buying active it its really going to matter.

EDIT: Dunno why i'm even bothering trying to shave much more off the price, I just ordered one of these other ones that have good reviews and some that specifically say "im using these for rift sensors". https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...M7086VPBES&th=1

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 7, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

Do you need to use an active HDMI cable for an extension or will a regular one work? Also can someone recommend anything to use to retract the headset cables from the ceiling or am I better off mounting some other way?

I'm using a nearly 10 year old, Monoprice cable thats 6 foot. Its made zero difference with or without it. No idea beyond that length.

Im also using some super cheap rear end walmart or target bought hdmi coupler thing.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 6, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Depends how far you want to extend it, and your video card. Some video cards are better than others and can push out a stronger signal to go further with a passive cable. I have a 6' passive hdmi extension and it works fine, best buy sells a 10' combined hdmi/usb3.0 extension for the rift, but I've heard some reports of people with some video cards having trouble at that length. Safest advice is 6' passive, you may have no problem going longer, but you might as well depending on your video card.

And unless you're just really moving away from your PC, 6 foot seems like more than enough for most place spaces. Hell I only put the extention on mine for my play space just so I could hit the extreme corners of the room without it being almost pulled off the ground. That extra 6 feet basically makes it so long theres a tiny cord pile in the corner when I play.

Now Ignore all of that if you're doing the hang it from the ceiling thing. Seriously considering that myself, trying to decide if its worth it or not. Starting to think so with 360 setup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Taintrunner posted:

Nah it's loving lifechanging. Spinning around forever in a circle feels great and you don't worry about tripping over it or anything. Maybe adjust it once or twice a session but otherwise it's a massive improvement in experience

I wanted to hear this.

How are you suspending it? I'm debating just using regular hooks and be done with it. But if there's a better solution I'm interested.