Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'm looking around at VR headset options right now and have a question: is there a way to play, say, an Oculus game with a different headset? Or are these games, which are made for a specific headset, locked into only operating with that specific hardware set?

If there IS a way around that, is there a current consensus on the best headset option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Bhodi posted:

yes, it's called revive and lets you play oculus games on the vive

if you want to buy a headset this month, get a rift, it's significantly cheaper

if you can wait 6+ months, it'll probably be the new vive coming out which will be a step above the rift in clarity and refinement

this is very awesome news. Thank you and Truga for the quick replies!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

That's a shame to hear. I was really interested in the Windows Mixed Reality headsets when I heard about them. Seems like the best way for hardware to break out into more adoption is to have a huge company backing it with good AAA titles.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I picked up Soundboxing last night after reading the good reviews in this thread. Game owns.

Is there any place I can go to find a complete listing of all available songs with tracks already made?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I didn't play for a long time last night, just four songs or so, but yeah the in-game browser for finding songs didn't seem very well designed.

Can I see other peoples playlists and play them myself? Is there an easier way to find popular songs or anything I should know?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Oculus updated their home environment and it's pretty snazzy

I don't know if there's a way to change this, but in that home space there's a bow you can shoot. I'm left handed, pick the bow up in my left hand, and when I nock an arrow it loads to the left, not right. Makes shooting it feel extremely weird.

I played another round of Robo Recall, and fuuuuck that game is fun. I feel like Reaper from Overwatch with the shotguns. I screwed up and picked a laser sight for my pistols thinking it'd be a beam pointing toward my targets. Nope. Just a dumb plastic box that paints a circle where I'm aiming which is actually way worse than if I hadn't even attached the sight to begin with.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

It's doing it right for a lefty. For left handed archery, you hold the bow in your right hand and draw with your left.

Oh, well, then I shoot righty and it's wrong in the game. Either way, it's weird and uncomfortable.

Being a lefty with ambidexterity for *some* things is weird

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

I think that bow is just messed up. The arrow will appear on the opposite side of where it should no matter which hand you grab the bow with. I just hold it parallel to the ground and shoot, seems to work better.

that's what I ended up doing too. felt like hanzo, but terrible

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Rectus posted:

But does it allow you to shoot other stuff than arrows? :smug:

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/921707041055563776

I've found you can also shoot an arrow into another arrow, and it'll stack. No wood splitting or anything, but it's still kind of neat

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

So far my only complaint about VR in general is how it's fragmenting the PC game ecosystem which is literally exactly why I don't play games on consoles. I hate how there are three consoles with virtually zero cross platform multiplayer and I guess that's a thing with VR splits now as well? Unless I read it wrong, some game multiplayer servers don't combine Vive, Oculus, and Steam together. That's super low tier if true and I hope it doesn't become standard faire. I absolutely don't want to own several headsets just so I can enjoy good games on my single PC. Come on, son

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for clearing some of the multiplayer woes up for me a bit. That's reassuring. I try to get what I can from the Steam store, but with Onward having a free trial, I had to buy it through the Oculus store to take advantage of that offer.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'm having an issue and hopefully someone in here can help.

I wanted more play space so I bought 15ft USB and HDMI extension cables, as well as a DVI to HDMI converter for my graphics card.

Problem 1: If I use the HDMI extension cable I get this weird pixel flickering all over the screen. I guess the best way I can think to describe it is that it's very similar to when you're "seeing stars" after getting light headed. It's not so dense that it makes working in VR impossible, but it's enough that it makes the experience unpleasant because it's impossible not to notice it the whole time.

That sucks, but it's remedied by not using the extension. However, I really want to use the extension so I can suspend the cables from the ceiling.

Problem 2: I was concerned that maybe the DVI converter was the issue so I plugged the HDMI into the port used by my monitor (I'd previously used this until my converter arrived in the mail, so I'm 100% it works), but when I do that my headset screen doesn't turn on. I hear the Oculus home ambient sound in the speakers, so it's not like the whole headset is dead.

Do any of you have any idea as to how I can solve either of these issues?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah, I've even tried unplugging my monitor from input 2 while the PC was off, plugging in the rift to that port without the extension, then booting up. No picture even though that's exactly how I first used it =/ Whatever.

I'll look around for a bit and see if I can't find a recommended 15ft cable to order. Thanks :)

edit: seems like my best option is to continue using the DVI port, but using an HDMI repeater alongside a better rated cable. I really hope that solves this issue

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 26, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Man, rec room + wine is an extremely good time. Did my daily quests and some of the weekly. Game's fun as hell and somehow I ran a whole game with other adults. There was one little dude who DC'd for whatever reason, which actually kind of owned because he was obviously short as poo poo IRL so I could basically use him as a human shield while firing over him lol

gently caress, VR is so good

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Yesssssssssssss! The new 15ft HDMI cable + repeater completely fixed my weird pixel issue on my Rift. Crystal clear picture

fuckin' oooowwnnnsss

edit:

If anyone else ends up trying to extend their Rift by 15 feet, here are the things I bought:

15ft USB 3.0 Extension Cable

15ft HDMI Cable

HDMI Repeater

DVI to HDMI converter

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 28, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

Just wondering, why would you need a repeater? I use a fifty foot HDMI cable all the time without issue

I don't know, it was just attempted solution #2 with #1 being a 15ft USB extension cable without repeater that left all kinds of weird pixels all over the screen. My current solution works, so I'm not going to question it

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Is Orbus worth the price? It's tough for me to think an mmo boasting "dozens of hours" worth of quests is worth $40. If any of you play it, please chime in with your thoughts on how it's been

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Butt Discussin posted:

It's worth it if you know people to play with, or are gregarious enough to run around making friends with random people. Otherwise, you might not have much fun trying to solo things.

Ah cool, thank you! I'll avoid it then, at least until I start seeing articles about it being populated and updated

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I was punching sounds last night and holy crap are some of the tracks extremely poorly made. It's like some people have zero concept of rhythm and just want to flail their arms around like idiots for the whole song.

Songs with an obvious beat path, like tracking vocals or lead guitar, are very fun to play even when they're really difficult.

I hope there are more rhythm games in development, by companies who can deliver a catalog of professionally made tracks. What a fun genre

I'm really looking forward to beat saber

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I forget which song it was, but like 2 seconds before the beats started coming in the person who created the song held their controllers up to their head like they were rabbit ears and it looked pretty funny, I lolled

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

what would you say the time investment would be to create a beat path for a song that's in sync with the music? how difficult is the editor to work with? i'm kind of tempted to make some tracks because a lot of the songs I'd like to play aren't even available and rather than hope someone else gets to it maybe I can just tackle that myself

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The Walrus posted:

For me, just as long as the song is. It's a one and done thing. ymmv but I usually lay down a good result first try, with repeating movement motifs for certain parts of songs, etc. I use the editor only to go back 10 seconds or so if I blatantly hosed something up. obviously to do this well you need to know the song very well.

that said I like doing requests for people so feel free to throw out some songs and I'll make them for you when my fixed controllers get back to me.

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I'll have to give it a shot next time I play.

I'd have to get in there and write down the songs I was hoping to find but couldn't. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I wanted to play but couldn't locate

That Airtone game seems maybe like it'd be okay, but 25 tracks doesn't sound like enough of a catalog to warrant that high of a price tag. I truly detest anime but would ignore that to play some good stuff if the value was on point

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The Forest will be coming out of Early Access soon, and they plan on revealing details about their VR mode closer to that date.

It's a pretty game, looks interesting. VR anything not rail shooter / tech demo is nice

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

oh good, then you can let us know how it is! I hope it's good because some of these VR games look really cool until you actually get into them. that's a bummer

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Isn't it just flailing about, hitting big dudes? Looks extremely shallow

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Bhodi posted:

it's shallow but it's also extremely fun.

it's like saying climbey is shallow because all you do are grab that white tiles and pull yourself along. Technically correct while missing the essence and joy of the game

I've only seen very short clips of the game which is why I asked. If it's good, awesome

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Verizian posted:

Gorn is a bit light on content and once you unlock the wolverine claws it takes self control to actually use anything else, with throwing knives and the chain caestus coming in a close second. Great for a 20 minute daily workout, just make sure to wear a sweatband or waterproof VR cover to avoid "water damage" if you sweat a lot.

That said it's pure loving joy standing in a crowd of enemies, parrying to trigger slowmo, and dispatching them all before time catches back up. So go buy it and maybe one day the devs will be able to create an open world RPG where you travel the land, fighting in arenas and collecting different weapons. Kinda like pokemon but with less animal abuse.

Wait what? It's a workout kind of game? That completely changes it for me if true

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What you wanna do is drop as down hard as possible and hyperextend your ankles. Them jolt back up, locking your knees.

not one of those things sounds right to me

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The Walrus posted:

For the Soundboxers: a current list of most of my beatmaps by genre

I went through and added a favorite to each of these songs. Not sure I'll play them all, I'm sure there will be a few songs I don't care for, but I already see a bunch that I'm looking forward to.

That's really cool!

You asked for some songs to make beatmaps for, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlynqOgBAUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYws8biwOYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1sxGqwJFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKOib_D5YY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClhmDN5Fcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNK7WO7_lDA

this one's already done, but the beatmap is terrible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOSxM0rNPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQH8ZTgna3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLSpj7q6_mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oib0a2_itA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-3MIBxQTw

Probably bunch more I could request, but this is good. To be clear: I'm not asking you to do all of these. Any would be awesome. If you did just one, please do Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics

Thanks!

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 9, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

okay, I tried to make a few of those myself and man, syncing to syllables is way harder than I thought. pretty drat fun though

However, on my third attempt, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out:

The Black Keys - Howlin' For You
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/d5e18a5d-0daa-11e8-a8ec-0a580a200b95

I didn't go back and delete or move anything so there are probably some odd double punches in there, but it's mostly on point with how I was hoping it would play. It's fun

also, don't bother with alphabet aerobics if you don't want to. It's a way better song to run to than punch to

just lol at this blackalicious attempt
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/99db5caf-0da9-11e8-b8f7-0a580a200b92

aesop rock - no regrets
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/bac16968-0da7-11e8-b8f7-0a580a200b92

I'd actually kind of like to make this much better at some point

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 9, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't know much about Soundboxing other than it's name and the implied activity but there's some kind of running mode or am I misunderstanding what you said? Is that like Sprint Vector's running or something?

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant for running outside. I used to try to keep pace with the song as it gets faster and faster. Hard as hell, but it was damned fun

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'd totally try that game out, but I've never felt that hook of any Battle Royale style game. I think the VR aspect may make it more enjoyable because of the immersive aspect.

That's the one where you can take someone's gun from their hand and shoot them with it, right? That sounded pretty funny or extremely embarrassing depending on which side of that exchange you were on. Either way, sounds fun

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I hit the menu button on accident in some games as well. I wish there was a way to disable them until either a combo press not utilized like holding down every button at once, or something else. But yeah, that sucks when it happens

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for that vote link. I never participate in those things, but I absolutely voted for this

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I do finger guns

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

okay I watched the video for Sprint Vector on the Steam page and man, that game does look pretty damned fun. Is there single player stuff, or is it strictly co-op?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Oh, nice. Then there's no real worry of available players dropping off since I can just play against AI. Gonna check this game out

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I seriously need to get a workout t-shirt made in one of those fancy underarmour™ space friction less materials because after a couple of intense laps of Sprint Vector I realized I'd been swinging my arms way too close to my body and got some pretty irritating rope burns under my biceps from my regular workout cotton t-shirt getting soaked.

I made the mistake of wearing a cotton t-shirt once while running. Halfway through the run I had to peel the shirt off because it felt like it was trying to suffocate me. A moisture wicking shirt will definitely help you like you're assuming

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Would someone please link the better visor pad for the Rift? The one you recommended pages ago for people gettin' sweaty? The standard foam pad sucks so badly for anything even remotely active.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, for Sprint Vector there was a Rift controller skin recommended that helps cut down on the accidental menu button presses. If I could also get a link for that it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I'd buy VR Might & Magic 6/7/8 in a heartbeat.

yeah loving 100% same especially 7. I have fond memories of that game