Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How does the Vive and Oculus + Touch compare right now?

My roomate has a Vive which I've been using for the past year or so, but we're parting ways, and I need to get my own kit. Oculus + Touch is significantly cheaper than a Vive, so if they are comparable, it's sorely tempting to get the Oculus instead of a Vive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Right, Oculus it is. Thanks!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do people aim so well in pavlov? Between picture clarity and hand eye coordination Im lucky if I manage to randomly spray someones legs off, but theres players who'll headshot me from a distance with a deagle the moment they spot me. I heard there was a virtual shouldering thing to steady your aim but I couldnt get it to work.

Use the P90. Grab it with both hands. Aim with both eyes open. You can snap onto targets so fast with that holographic sight. It's a really good training wheel for the basic iron sight guns.

Unrelated - My dad tried VR for the first time last night. He's a pilot and huge aviation nerd. I have a HOTAS joystick setup, and I put him in IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad in a BF-109.

The man was giddy. I think the only time I've ever seen him get this excited was when his first grandchild was born.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Also I can't two hand the P90 and land more than a few body shots in a clip so that's impressive. I guess different weapons work for different people.

Really? I found the P90 so easy to use because you only need to align one point on the target, versus aligning the rear and front posts on ironsights, and I could do it with both eyes open. I can't use irons to save my life in Pavlov, because I need to close one eye, and it takes up to a couple of seconds for me to align both posts on the target. With the P90 it is as fast as raising my hand. :shrug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Truga posted:

You mean feet, right? My room is 3x3m, but my summer good weather play area is 10x10m, and that'd kinda suck with rift.

You have a hundred square meters of flat, empty, rectangular space to play VR in?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warbird posted:

Thank god you didn’t let him play GORN

Yeah, don't ever let people new to VR play Gorn if you care about your controllers (and their hands too, I guess).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've been playing Onward quite a bit lately, mostly in the mornings GMT (when it is mostly Australians), and in the evenings GMT (when it is mostly Americans). The difference between those two groups is pretty amusing.

The Americans are either obnoxious teenagers yelling memes, or grown-rear end men who are super serious about playing soldier on the internet, complete with hand gestures and weird army lingo.

The Australians are all extremely chill and friendly and I am pretty sure most of them are high.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

VTOL VR is pretty great. It's a lite version of DCS: A10 and Falcon BMS, but in VR with touch controls. As a sim-nerd it's pretty much what I've dreamed of since the Oculus was announced. Flying a joystick with touch controllers works surprisingly well.

It is still really early access though. All the game mechanics are in, but not much more.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Raw Data blew me away when it first came out, but these days it doesn't hold up too well. It is worth picking up at 50% off though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Has anyone played "The Wizards"? I really liked The Mages Tale, and it looks kinda sorta similar to that, just curious if there are any issues with it and the Rift and if people think it's worth the $15.

It's okay. Worth the 15$ it costs currently. Spellcasting via gestures is fun, and it looks nice. The gameplay was mostly wave shootery though - At least the bits of it I got to before I had to stop because of pain in my elbow caused by repeatedly jerking my hand from side to side throwing fireballs.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Oh, also, whats the go to recommendation for flight sims? I have Elite Dangerous, but thinking an aircraft sim.

IL-2 has VR, and it is absolutely gorgeous. The only problem is that you need to toggle the UI off, because the UI is a huge performance hog, but you need the UI to spot planes - So you need to bind a button on your joystick to toggle the UI and constantly turn it on and off. But other than that, it is probably the best looking and most immersive VR flight sim out there. It sounds and looks gorgeous. It absolutely makes you feel like you're strapped into a noisy and rattling airplane. Firing your guns is a visceral experience.

VTOL VR is fantastic. You fly using touch controls, and you need to fiddle with the various buttons and dials and screens in the cockpit. It is very early access right now, and lacks content, but the base mechanics of flying your near-future sci-fi airplane are good enough that I sank almost 20 hours into it.

DCS has VR, but the support is kind of limited right now. You can't really fly the full-modeled airplanes because there is no touch support, but they are planning on implementing it. You also won't be able to run it in VR without killing every graphics setting. The base game is free though and comes with a really fun plane, though, so worth checking out.

House of the Dying Sun isn't really a flight sim - It's a arcadey space dogfighting game, but totally worth checking out.

War Thunder has VR support but it is limited. It is fun to just fly or drive around, but there is no way to play the game in VR without severely handicapping yourself against other players.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm moving to a new apartment in a few days - Complete with a much better space for VR. I'm going to put in wall mounts for the Rift sensors.

I also want to see if I can do anything about the headset's loving cable coiling around my leg like an insidious python. Having to be aware of the loving things and dance over them as I turn around is awful.

Does anyone have any experience with putting a pulley or a hook or something in the ceiling and running the headset cable through it? Will that even work?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You can't talk about gunplay without mentioning Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades.

Yes, there is no multiplayer, yes, the gameplay is limited - But the actual guns are modeled in absurd detail and they feel heftier and more visceral than any other game.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://twitter.com/BlendoGames/status/989187721414328321

Blendo is working on Flotilla 2 in VR. I just realized how much I want Homeworld in VR.

Check out House of the Dying Sun. It's a space dogfighter with very heavy Homeworld influences.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm surprised VIVE and Oculus haven't released a belt tracker by now. Would really help with full body locomotion.

According to Oculus most people's play area is pretty tiny. The market for a belt tracker would be a small subset of an already niche market.

Also, wasn't Oculus planning on implementing body tracking via computer vision at some point, since the Rift sensors are basically just cameras?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who doesn't care much for guns, how much of an actual "game" is there in H3VR? I love how much attention to detail the dev has and how often he puts out consistent content, but it always just looks like Real Life Gun Simulator.

H3VR is by far my most played VR game, and it is almost entirely in the Take and Hold game mode. T&H puts you into a maze of nondescript gray hallways, you start with a gun, and you fight progressively tougher sausage-men and get more guns until you die.

I keep meaning to try some of the new VR games that have come out lately, but I just keep loading up H3VR. This poo poo is therapeutic.

You aren't wrong in it essentially being Real Life Gun Simulator, but the Gun Simulator aspect of it is so very well done and viscerally satisfying that it makes what little game there is good enough to hold me for almost 40 hours and counting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really understand the "you need so much space" argument. My playing area is basically just the area that was empty in front of my desk already. You just need about enough space to extend your arms and spin in a circle without hitting something. I understand that not all people will have this, but it's hardly some grandiose bourgeois luxury available to a select few.

The cost is the real barrier of entry. Mid-tier gaming PC + the kit is a huge amount of money for most folks.

I don't think VR will be seen as a fad that died out in ten years time (it can barely even be called a fad) for the simple reason that VR is pretty loving amazing, which is something everyone agrees on. At worst it will stay where it is- a niche market for nerds with disposable incomes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lemming posted:

You currently need that much space to be specifically located in the place where you have your expensive computer. For most people, that's going to be their living room, which is not commonly in the same spot as an expensive desktop PC.

It cannot be emphasized enough the impact a small amount of friction has on how much people will realistically do something. Something as simple as integrating headphones into the headset will dramatically increase how much you use it compared to not having them integrated, so the degree to which the headaches of setting everything up and managing it impacts adoption really can't be overstated.

You are seriously overstating the amount of space you need for VR. It's barely more than just the space you absolutely must have empty in front of a desk to be able to slide the chair back to stand up.

I've never heard anyone say lack of space is the reason why they're not getting into VR. It's always either the cost or the small game library that is the issue, or the fact that they don't have a good PC to begin with.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah more space is nice, and once people have bought in they do tend to shuffle furniture around to make it. But it's not a barrier to entry.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lemming posted:

That would only let you play the slowest and most close range games. If you tried to play Beat Saber or Echo Arena in that amount of space you would immediately smash your hands on your desk or punch your monitor. You'd basically be limited to cockpit games with that amount of space.

I just measured my area for the first time and it's around 5'x4' (i.e just about the amount of empty space most people have behind a desk anyway). I've played both Beat Saber and Echo Arena and they're totally fine. I've never smashed my hands into a thing. My old apartment had even less space, I'd guess around 5'x3', and again, completely fine. Almost all VR games these days are designed with smallish areas in mind and don't require any moving around, just spinning in place. Basically the first thing developers learned was that people generally don't have a lot of space and game design adapted to it.

Your "minimum safe space" is probably in the top quarter of VR play areas.

e: Gorn is obviously the exception here, but then again, it is unsafe at any area size, I brought my Oculus to work and my coworker managed to punch a wall and break one of my remotes in a play area that was about 5x5 meters.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm 6 foot 5, and I constantly play these games in my 5'x4' area with no problems and my play experience is neither seriously nor mildly substandard. Gorn is the only game in my library I would consider mildly hazardous. You do not need remotely as much space as you say to have an enjoyable VR experience. However, you obviously have a different experience and that's fine. :shrug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

It's not about comfort, it's about the actual physical measurements of the space. You say you don't have trouble but your friends do? That's because you've learned to deal with them. If you're 6 feet tall, a 5x4 space doesn't let you stretch your arms out without bumping into things, and you're gonna get the Guardian popping up pretty much any time you're off-center, or any time you reach out at all. Is that even enough space to hold a gun out without seeing the borders?

I mean, it's perfectly fine to say you enjoy VR in your small room, but there are real issues there that would improve with a larger space, even if you've adapted to your area well enough.

Obviously the caveat is that I have learned to deal with the confines of my area and adjust to them without even thinking about it. I can aim a pistol to the sides with a stretched out arm without seeing boundaries, and if I take a step back I can do it to the front and back. I recenter myself and step back when I need to stretch my arm out to the front subconsciously after tens of hours of gameplay.

It's not a significant drawback on gameplay and it's completely fine, which is my point. It's not ideal, but it also isn't a serious life-threatening safety concern nor utterly debilitating like Mr. VR Authority up there claims, nor am I lying about my completely subjective enjoyment of the thing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lemming posted:

Games that rely on split second timing, that encourage you to react and move quickly, are objectively not "totally fine" if you don't have enough room, which is what you said. You can learn to work around limitations, but they are limitations and you were saying that they were not. People have damaged expensive objects and even severely injured themselves in VR (I was playing with someone in Echo Arena who hit something and dislocated his finger, ended up needing to go to the hospital. I know of another guy who broke his wrist punching his wall). If your requirement is that you see the action you want to take, and then you need to reconsider where you are physically, take a step to move, and then execute your action, it's probably already too late.

Certain games are just flat out not playable without significant drawbacks or even safe without a large enough area. You've learned to live with it and work around it, good for you, that doesn't mean that your personal experience is generalizable to most people, and it's dishonest to imply that it is.

I played Echo Arena for a around three hours and did not feel limited in any way nor did I bump into anything. Three hours is admittedly not a very long time. I may have gotten lucky. I've used my Oculus for probably around a hundred hours in all now in these smaller areas and have enjoyed all of them greatly and without injury. A large area, while obviously nicer and probably slightly safer, is clearly not a barrier of entry for VR, which is what we were originally discussing.

Claiming that by describing my personal subjective experience as fine and enjoyable I am being dishonest is absurd and I don't really feel like continuing this conversation. :)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:staredog: I never knew this was a thing and now I want it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHjHyOqaBf8

Hold up didn't A:I have VR support at release? :confused:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah bummer so HOTDS doesn't have "native" HOTAS support and you have to bind absolutely everything before you can even try it out and I just got this dumb thing and don't know how to go about it so I'll have to wait till the weekend to sink some time and make an attempt at setting it up. Feels nice and I'm sure I'll have some fun with it once it's set up. Game doesn't pick up on Yaw or the throttle either since it's less sim and more arcade.

It's a bummer but it's not a lot of buttons. It took me like ten minutes to set up. Just screenshot the controller controls and work from there.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its game to game for me. In Elite I feel like I'm there, but I dont get the stomach flips that really say your body believes it. In Ultrawings, however, I really get that feeling like your body is reacting to what you see.

I think it's the lack of a frame of reference in Elite that causes you to not get the stomach flips. In Ultrawings you have the ground as a point of reference, and when it starts tumbling towards you your lizard brain just goes "OH SWEET JESUS". In Elite there is no fixed point of reference to tell you you're tumbling around.

The HOTAS setup in the cockpits of Elite's ships is modeled after the Saitek X52, which is the same joystick I have. When I play it, I like to match the RL HOTAS position with the one in game, for a little extra immersion.

However, the FTL button in-game is located by the pilot's wrist, while on the RL X52 it is on the side of the joystick's base. One time I reflexively tried to press the in-game button, and naturally my finger just hit air at the edge of my desk. I was startled. I had tried to press a button I saw was there and hit air. It took maybe a second for my conscious brain to catch up. It was an extremely strange sensation, and definitely a "holy gently caress, VR" moment.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Until there’s some type of Touch-integrated HOTAS I think I prefer virtual HOTAS’. I hate losing my hands!

Virtual HOTAS works surprisingly well, at least it does in VTOL VR. Plus it lets you click buttons in a virtual cockpit, which is every simnerd's dream.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't there a hand-tracking system of some sort for VR in the pipeline? What happened to that?

I'm playing around with flightsimming in DCS, and being able to click all the little buttons in the cockpit with my hand would be amazing. I have a HOTAS and right now I dangle the touch controller off my left wrist while using the throttle, and then grab it for clicking. It works, but it's kinda annoying.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is Payday 2 worth getting just for VR? I remember trying it a while back in flatscreen and enjoying the gameplay, but pubbies were so ungodly loving awful that it really hampered my enjoyment. Probably safe to assume that part hasn't changed.

It's okay. The devs put in basically the minimal amount of effort to make it playable in VR. It's fun to dick around in, but don't pay full price for Payday 2 just for the VR.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I got the world #1 Highscore for H3VR's Invasion mode. :blastu:

Which... wasn't really that hard?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

A friend had his 4y/o try VR for like five minutes. He pet the dog in the Vive demo the whole time and giggled. It was cute as hell. Don't let your kids play VR, but letting them try it for a couple of minutes won't kill them.

Unrelated - My boss asked me to set up the Oculus at work tomorrow. What short, self-contained and cool experiences are good for demoing these days?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Its a shame that H3VR doesn't have non food related enemies. I really can't get into that. It doesn't matter to me if the gunsperg is good if there isn't good combat to go with it.

I get your point, but the combat is really good, though? You're fighting animated hotdogs, but the combat you are having with them is fantastic.

Is it really so important that they're not, strictly speaking, people? When you shoot a guy in other shooters, do you take a moment to reflect, "hmm, yes, this was a person"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Plus, them being robots removes the eerie effect of multiplayer VR avatars having noodly appendages with flapping wrists instead of arms, but being otherwise realistic looking.