Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have faith that John Carmack is going to make inside-out tracking work perfectly and turn the GearVR into an awesome device.

I don't have faith in Samsung learning how to make a mobile device that doesn't overheat in 10 minutes and become a frame skipping vomit machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody did an incredibly detailed technical article about the Vive's Lighthouse Tracking:
http://doc-ok.org/?p=1478

It is a very interesting read and I hope one day he can do the same thing with Constellation.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My Galaxy S6 overheats inside my Gear VR in about 5-10 minutes. When that happens, it stops your game with an overheat warning message. If you ignore it, the phone starts to throttle the GPU and suddenly you are dropping tons of frames inside VR. It isn't fun at all.

The Galaxy S7 contains a heat pipe, and everything I can see online says the overheating problem has been massively improved. Cooler CPU + more RAM + heat pipe results in a much greater VR experience.

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

Have you tried turning down the brightness? My S6 used to overheat (after 30 min, never as quick as 5-10), but turning the brightness down to 3-4 notches stopped that from happening. I can game for an hour plus now, and I've watched 3 hours of Neflix without any issues. Even my brother with a Note4 uses one with no problems. I'd still definitely recommend the Gear for anyone with a compatible phone.

I've tried on the lowest brightness and the highest brightness. I would reboot the phone before I would ever use the Gear VR. I uninstalled known power hungry apps like Facebook. My phone just gets hot, and according to the Internet I'm not the only one with the problem. It's just a thing. Congrats on owning a better binned phone or something.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what the hell happened to the GTAV Vive thing? I need it.

I've known the dude for a few years now. He is doing it by hooking into DirectX calls directly and running a renderer on another thread that interacts with OpenVR. It currently lacks stereoscopic 3D as you would have to render GTA5 at 180 fps to do it (swapping camera positions each time for each eye). I'm not sure how VorpX does it (is it doing some sort of bad positional warping to make it pseudo-3D?) He's made some good progress on it recently and solved some jitter issues; however, one of his Vive controllers died today so that might delay things some more. It's actually the 2nd time a Vive controller has died for him.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissCM posted:

It's kinda in 3D. It's clever in that it's basically a realtime version of what they do for 2D-3D cinema conversions. There's the 2D image, then a depth map is created and a Stereoscopic image is generated from that. It's not perfect and can cause some odd artifacts but the depth map is technically very accurate, being rendered from the game engine itself.

The dude who is doing the GTA5 stuff isn't doing stereoscopic 3D right now.

Hierophant posted:

Vorpx uses the depth buffer to warp one image into a stereo pair.

So yeah, what we had thought, positional warping. I had suggested positional warping off the depth buffer to him as a possible solution, but that causes all sorts of new problems: you have no idea what is behind the object when you adjust your position, so what do you do with that lack of data? I would bet that VorpX spends a lot of time trying to make that look decent.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.6

Revive version 0.6 is out. It brings back support to all the games that Revive used to support before the Oculus Runtime 1.4 update. It looks like if you had installed previous versions, remove them completely as the old RevivePlatform DLLs will cause problems.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I finally beat Chronos. It is probably the most complete game experience on the Rift that I know of. The environments are all amazing, fighting the enemies are fun, and all the boss fights are incredible. I haven't played any of the Dark Souls games, but after Chronos I feel that I must try them.

ENDING SPOILER
But it really feels like I lost the game in the end.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The "Unlimited Detail" engine WAS Euclideon. They've just re-branded it for VR.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CBN_Shaggy posted:

I can confirm having problems with SteamVR's environments on my Rift. Last time I tried(a couple weeks ago) the geometry was very warped or something similar.

I can confirm too. It doesn't render correctly at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Has anybody bought Edge of Nowhere yet? I've been considering picking it up tonight after work and I was wondering what people think about it. I beat Chronos so I'm ready for my next game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I did a strength play-through of Chronos my first time and just blocked everything in the game. The 300HP Krell shield tanked everything. I actually couldn't figure out how to counter-attack until the very end of the game when it just clicked for me and I was able to plow through everything.

I thought I found every secret but I saw some people on reddit talking about meeting the Krell king. I have no idea where I missed that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

theBeaz posted:

House of the Dying Sun is pretty cool. However on the Rift I get a lot more ... stuttering or something than I have in other games (like Elite or Valkyrie). Is this a lack of optimization since it is early access or is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature? I run below spec (i5-2500k @ 4GHz/GTX 970) so I'm curious if this will be more common as I adopt more SteamVR games.

I set the game to Medium quality and disabled anti-aliasing. I also turned off reprojection in case that was messing things up (as OVR does ATW automatically). The biggest thing, though, was turning off anti-aliasing.

The game still has stuttering moments, but it is better than it was before.

I haven't played any SteamVR content except for this so I don't know if it is a SteamVR+Rift problem or just a problem with Dying Sun.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

StarkRavingMad posted:

Shouldn't be a Steam VR issue, I've played a bunch of stuff through Steam VR on Rift without stuttering (Subnautica and Solus Project for example, both of which are relatively graphic intensive). May just be poor optimization since it's a one man project. Is your system right around minimum specs?

Yeah. i5-3570k @ 4GHz, GTX 970 @ 1300MHz. Good to know it isn't SteamVR being a problem.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I look forward to Bethesda's hilariously botched effort at making Gamebryo VR capable.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
http://www.shacknews.com/article/95270/e3-2016-sony-announces-release-date-for-psvr

PSVR releases October 13th for $399.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bremen posted:

Anyone have any issues with House of the Dying Sun performance wise? It's on my short list of titles to pick up for the Vive but I'm fairly close to the minimum VR specs (i5-3570 and GTX 970) and I've heard it can be demanding.

I have an i5-3570k and a GTX 970. You will want to turn off anti-aliasing and turn the graphics down to low/medium. Maybe reduce render resolution too. Even then it will sometimes chug a bit. It isn't the best performing game for VR.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Michaellaneous posted:

It's only like 200 bucks.

If you don't mind AMD, their new RX 480 is going to be $200 and perform at GTX 980 levels.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to judge an indie game dev as being slimy. If they were really out to screw people making VR games is probably the dumbest way to do it, so it's probably just them not making the best decisions since they don't have experience or expertise.

Edit: like I'm not saying don't criticize them, but slimy has a pretty specific connotation of them intentionally trying to scam people and I really think that's not what the Giant Cop people are doing

Being an indie dev is really difficult as success is very hit or miss. And since this is the post-Greenlight era on Steam, most are going to miss and the years of working on their stuff is going to net them no profits. Oculus appearing with a big pile of cash with the only catch being timed exclusivity is something that I doubt many smart part-time, small-team indies will turn down.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Gear VR is best for sporting events and the like. That seems to be the device that all the multimedia stuff ends up on. I mean, the Rift proper STILL doesn't have a Netflix app.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My friend who was working on the GTA VR stuff has decided to work on a different project instead:

https://gfycat.com/WelltodoShortBluebottle

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

LLSix posted:

So I'm looking at this for a VRPC:

Is there anything missing that I'll need to drive a rift/vive? Do I need an extra beefy power supply?

The power supply is fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the SSD. I would ask in the SSD megathread if Sandisk SSDs are okay or not. I personally would use a Samsung 850 EVO.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

You guys who've played Chronos - is there a trick to doing the shield bash thing? You're meant to be able to interrupt an enemy strike with it, but on a lot of enemies it just doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's only when they're doing a power-strike with a long backswing?

Block the attack. Notice when the attack hits your shield and "sparks". You want to shield bash right before that. Better shields start the bash more slowly, so try with the starter shield to get the hang of it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Played Redout in VR on my Rift. I'm hooked. One of the cars is pretty much a pod-racer and I drove that thing all over Cairo.

I had no problems with text visibility, but that's probably because of the Rift's sharper image. The main problem, in my opinion, is that the UI isn't designed for VR well. The menu screens are all up in your face so you have to look all over the place to navigate around. Then, when you are in-game, the HP/energy meters are not readable at all in your peripheral vision. They are small and you kind of need to look down to notice them.

The game also defaults to highest settings with a 30 fps cap, so, since I have a GTX 970, I had to lower everything and change the cap to 144 or so. It still doesn't run the best, which seems to be typical for SteamVR games with a Rift.

The final thing I have to note is that if you have a Rift, the game always starts up in SteamVR mode no matter what. It is apparently a known bug that you can't play it in 2D mode with a Rift.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Heran Bago posted:

Dolphin VR v 5.0-250 from July!
Time to try out some Gamecube games in roomscale Vive VR! How much tweaking could there be per game?

Now do F-Zero GX.

El Grillo posted:

I just finished the second big boss and I was grinning like an idiot during those levels when [spoiler on a cool surprise] they basically did the Weeping Angels from Dr Who, with the whole only-moving-when-you-look-at-them DON'T BLINK thing. Whoever came up with that idea is a genius.

That part was fairly unnerving. Especially how you could HEAR them shuffling towards you whenever you looked away. It is a good game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

My experience with Chronos so far has been dying often, starting all the way at the beginning and having to fight and kill every monster again (unlike Dark Souls where you can generally just run past stuff). I tried ignoring the ones I'd already fought and I eventually had a trail of 6-7 enemies chasing me.

I had a period of time like that too where I would kill a couple monsters, then die horribly over and over again. But I kept leveling up from the ones I could kill and I dumped it into defensive stats and I eventually got over my hurdle. Then you start finding the dragon hearts and you start being able to go long periods before being killed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I played a bit of the Dragon Front beta today for the Rift. It is a CCG with booster packs and everything. Kinda like Mojang's Scrolls in a way.

The beta has four factions: one does poo poo with walls and catapults and fancy formations, one can spawn lots of units really quickly, one has cheap units with lots of flying and haste abilities, and the last has creatures that excel in doing lots of damage on odd ways.

Each player starts with 15 life and has a "hero" unit inactive in their base. The play area consists of a 4x4 grid. At the start of each turn you draw 1 card and receive 1 mana, plus 1 extra mana for each creature in your "spawn row" (the row closest to your castle). Unspent mana is carried over to the next turn.

You summon creatures and place them in your spawn row (you must have a free spot in the row). If you "activate" a unit that doesn't have summoning sickness, it will move forward 1-2 spaces (depending on card). If it meets up with an enemy, both units will attack each other simultaneously. If your unit reaches the enemy spawn row and there is no creature there, you will attack the player's health directly. You cannot enter the enemy's spawn row. Also, creature health does not regenerate between turns.

Your hero unit costs an accumulated 15 mana across multiple turns to summon. There is no limit to how much mana you can bank per turn. Additionally, for each point of damage you receive, you bank an equivalent amount of mana in your hero unit. They are powerful, have effects that trigger when they spawn in and/or are in play, and you only get one of them.

I had a pretty fun time with it. There is a good variety in abilities and strategy (like double-wide creatures). The game makes you play every single faction as part of its tutorial. After that, it asks you which faction you want to start with. I selected mine, and then it reset all my tutorial progress. I have no clue if it is a bug or not, but eh.

One thing that really bugged the hell out of me is that the selection crosshair is off-center to the left. It can make things awkward when you are trying to activate your hero in the bottom-right corner.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If I was still making games, I wouldn't drop Oculus at all. I still support John Carmack and all the hundreds of people at Oculus. I'm not some sort of indie superstar who can afford to cut off half my consumer base because I'm upset that some idiot child is spending money to elect a president I don't like.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody tripped on the power cord for the Twitch stream...

EDIT: Refresh the page to fix!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NRVNQSR posted:

Honestly, the small amount of technical detail they gave makes me very wary of "Spacewarp". It sounds like they're combining 45-to-90 rotational reprojection - i.e. the bad SteamVR version of timewarp - with two frames of object movement extrapolation, which is something people have been trying to make look good for over a decade without any success. If we had a good quality two-frame object movement extrapolation technique there would literally be no 30fps games on consoles, so until Oculus actually show this working I'm extremely sceptical.

It sounds pretty cool, but I would have to see spacewarp to see which I like better. At which point does spacewarp kick in?

Take a game running at 75 frames/second.

Vive will limit the game to 45 frames/second and reproject every 2nd frame (every other frame).
Rift will run the game at 75 frames/second and reproject every 6th frame.

Do I really want to lose those extra 4 frames by dropping down to 45 frames? Will the benefits outweigh it? That's why I am really curious as to when it kicks in.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can actually play around with ASW right now:

https://twitter.com/BinaryLegend/status/784164517022343169

EDIT: Only for NVIDIA right now, though.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 7, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Guycot posted:

Can anyone play around with this? Interesting, I remember they had positional timewarp way back with like, sdk 0.6 or 0.7 but it was quickly taken out with the next version. I remember playing around with it back in ol' tuscany.

Yep. Just create the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTARE\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR folder in your registry. Inside it, create a new DWORD called AswEnabled and set it to 1.

I've been playing around with it. It isn't as seamless as 90 Hz (of course), but it is a LOT better than 45 Hz. I mean, it is actually pretty dang good.

I launched EVE: Valkyrie and I jacked up all my settings to Ultra and enabled a bunch of super-sampling and it was awesome. It is not as smooth as native 90 Hz, but the fact that I could turn on anti-aliasing and super-sampling with ease may cause me to leave it on. While making big turns and lots of movement, I could cause crosshair corruption and other things, but with less intensive games I would DEFINITELY turn it on and jack up the super-sampling. The Rift already has better display quality. Being able to easily super-sample and stuff on a GTX 970 is pretty darn great.

EDIT: They also massively improved the performance of EVE: Valkyrie. I had Ultra settings with 135% resolution and I was still getting smoother gameplay with normal ATW. I might have to try to bump it up to 200% resolution or find another game to test with. But the developer options let you toggle between 45 Hz and 45 Hz with ASW, so I could compare the two easily.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 7, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

A cockpit game like that will probably only get better performance with ATW. You don't translate your had around all that much in a cockpit.

Well, the act of turning your head causes your eyes to actually change position in space, so even then it would still help. The big benefit is that it causes all the objects in the scene to move. So it can help fake 90Hz for the whole scene.

Real 90Hz is better in all cases, though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Sorry, I missed the steam, is this a real post or fake post? Screen shots?

I wasn't even aware that people thought inside out tracking was possible, let alone getting a working prototype going in this decade

Pics or it didn't happen. Inside out tracking is going to be huge for cell phone VR, if it's possible.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-oculus-wireless-santa-cruz-prototype-makes-standalone-room-scale-tracking-a-reality/

It's basically a mobile GPU bolted onto a Rift with a bunch of cameras that allow it to track. It's also very much a prototype.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The three cameras for "room scale" is probably just a way to increase the tracking volume to something big enough for people to consider it "room scale". Once you get about 2.4 meters or so away from the camera in a typical house, you start getting issues. Three cameras would let you open up the play space a bit more.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My friend's been messing around with modding VR into Penumbra: Overture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMbIcwtcTWA

He plans to release it very soon, maybe even this weekend.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I heard 12pm Pacific, so about 3 hours from now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't think Oculus will have wireless video for a while. They are VERY strict on latency so I just don't see them doing it at this point in the game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
That's pretty great. Keep in mind that it is just ATW, so while it isn't as bad as Valve's old interleaved 45Hz stuff, it will still cause judder if you are below 90Hz. It will just be more random now.

Also, you have to turn off interleaved reprojection in the options or else it will still drop to 45Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I want to get a 3rd Rift sensor, but I'm holding out hope that Amazon will sell them. I have a bunch of Amazon credit I would like to use on the sensor.