Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you have a rift and are itching to get in on the roomscale stuff on the cheap, before touch comes out, and you're willing to spend ~$50, here's how to do it:

Buy a leap motion, an extension cable, some putty and some velcro ties:
http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Controller-interaction-Packaging/dp/B0176M1GHA
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-22AWG-Extension-Cable-Female/dp/B019E0LIH0
http://www.amazon.com/Saunders-Removable-Adhesive-Putty-99683/dp/B0000AQODM
http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Reusable-Light/dp/B003WB6MYM

Optionally, get some masking tape and cut out a piece of masking tape the size of the leap. Take a picture of the front of your rift while on. You'll see some IR lights; put the tape in the center without blocking any of the lights.

Use the putty to mount the leap angled downwards onto the rift on top of the tape so it's mounted without blocking the lights. Then, take off the U-shaped plastic cable band and thread the longer leap cable through it. use the cable ties to attach the leap cable alongside the headset cable all the way back.

Go into Oculus Home, Options, "Allow Unknown Sources". Install SteamVR.
Download and install the Orion Beta drivers: https://developer.leapmotion.com/get-started
Download and install the Leap to Steam Controller drivers: https://github.com/cbuchner1/driver_leap/releases
Download and install blocks to make sure everything is working.: https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery/blocks

Do the SteamVR Room setup. It can be tricky going through the prompts because you don't do it while wearing the headset (!!) but with a bit of ingenuity you should get it.

Load up The Lab. Keep your hands relaxed and palms facing you/each other, index finger to palm for the triggers and any of the other 3 for the side button. thumb to palm for the touchpad. Make a timeout T with your hand for the menu button and fingers together palm facing your face for the select button. The touchpad / teleport is wonky but you should be able to do most of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If it's steam you can launch everything once on online mode then set steam to offline and our should work fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?
I'm about an hour in, and like people say, it's kind of boring. For $10 it isn't so bad but I feel bad for anyone who paid full price.

It's a game where they figured being in 3d was enough and didn't really have to bother with good mechanics, a plot, or really a complete game. It's pretty much a floating tour of a wrecked space station with some basic unlock/upgrade mechanics for your suit tacked on. I REALLY didn't like some of the ham-fisted design decisions, like a really slow maximum velocity and how when you go "out of bounds" (more than 5 feet from the station) your suit develops a massive O2 leak and you die in about 20 seconds. It would be really cool if it just let me explore, but no, the entire gameplay is "flip a switch at this end OK now fly back and flip a switch over there to unlock the door, but go straight down the corridor and don't think outside the box". The oxygen mechanic is just plain bad. The controls aren't stellar.

But hell - you're in space on a wrecked space station in VR! That's worth $10 to me. It's just that they could have done so much more.

I don't really get VR sick but the game was the closest I got, especially with the roll controls.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 1, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rockybar posted:

Is there any kind of free exploration option? Also were you using Revive?
Nope, I have a rift. It was smooth enough, visually. It's only stuttered a small handful of times for less than a second; stuttering doesn't really bother me though unless it's massive and constant.

If there's a free exploration, I haven't unlocked it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

1 800 J JAMES posted:

I am trying to get this working with my Leap, but every time I try and download the file ('Alpha releases' 3 & 4) Chrome has auto-deleted the apparently virus-ridden file and having reversed that, Adaware automatically quarantines the installed driver. Should I trust those programs and move on, or is it in fact safe and is there a way to whitelist it?
Many people have used it and since it's hosted on github so I thought it's relatively safe. I think chrome warned me and assumed it was a false positive and ignored it. Whether you do the same is up to you. In general, I don't have a high opinion of virus scanners so it was an easy choice for me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I loaded up the disney VR thing and was REALLY disappointed to see that it was just a dumb frontend for a handful of grainy 360 no-depth videos just like jaunt and youtube. No need for an app for that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

disappointed but not surprised i hope
There was a video a while back about their imagineering(?) team exploring VR for all sorts of things, testing a new format for 3d video, and I had hoped this would fall out of that.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 3, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

theBeaz posted:

Shame. That's exactly what I would have expected too. Guess I'm not sad to be locked out of it.
It's on steam and works with both headsets. I've got a rift myself. The openvr stuff has pretty much worked flawlessly in everything I have tried so far.

Maybe all that stuff is too experimental or it's too soon. I think everyone just wants to play with lightsabers. I know there's a $4 game on steam "Lightblade VR" taking a bit advantage of that itch, I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 3, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't even like cockpit view in war thunder. I just use standard newbie mouse fly mode with chase cam in arcade mode. It's still a rush when you dive bomb ground targets.

I tried hooking up my joystick and playing one of those harder battles but honestly didn't enjoy it much at all.

BTW those who like space, apparently star conflict also supports VR. Haven't installed it yet to try; i played it years ago and then they patched some super grind in and I stopped.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

redhalo posted:

Can someone else confirm if SteamVR environments don't work correctly with a Rift?
They pushed a patch for it last week, iirc. Mine didn't used to work, it works now.

I'd use steamvr full-time if there was a way to select things through a controller or keyboard, since I don't have the wands.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Do you guys still get fantastic contraption and tiltbrush free if you order today, or was that just for preorders?

I want to play with them but they're both really expensive for a 'mayyyyybe this will work with leap' risk. I know I could 'return' them but I don't really want to do that, and I figure there will be discounts/sales on them eventually.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No, we just really really want you to stop threadshitting

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You guys really need to pick up house of the dying sun. It's $17 bucks of goon-made fun and looks fantastic in VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hamelekim posted:

Doesn't look like it has Vive support. Do we know if that is being added in the future?

It runs through steam VR, works fine on vive.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm happy with chaperone even with the rift; I know how close the red wirefreame is compared to things in the real world. It could get dicey if you are squeezing your play area in and have either objects inside it at floor level or a hard surface at the wall itself (instead of arms length farther out)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The wobbly is when it's lost external tracking and is going on internal gyros alone. The rift tracking method is headset gyros and then constantly correcting for drift using the external camera, so it's going in and out which happens at max range or if it can't see 3 tracking LEDs.

My stand is in the corner and tracking is fine to the end of the cable. That means when the touch controller comes out, and you have stands in opposite corners, both will track around 3m^2 and you could have a room double that if can deal with temporary occlusion if you either buy a longer headset cable or put your PC in the center of the room somehow.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 10, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

HotRS is a awesome game but I cannot get it to work with the Rift for any period of time. (I am using the Beta branch so I'm getting updates as fast as he releases them) Launching it from the SteamVR Option (from the 3 choices on the desktop) will just crash Steam (though SteamVR stayed running kind of which was odd).

Starting Steam VR first (with only the Oculus plugged in), then launching the game from the desktop, worked but then after a little while crashed the game + Steam + SteamVR
This is a known issue Kairo is working on fixing. Check back in a bit and watch the thread? It does the same thing for me, only once it's running it's running for good.

ShadowMoo posted:

You have way too much money if you have both a vive and a rift. Give me some.

Also aren't there mods that allow you to play vive only games on a rift and vice versa?
There isn't any such thing as a vive-only title, except those whose main gameplay requires controllers which you can emulate - it's all open steamvr and the headset works fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Surprisingly with all this anger, there aren't really any :filez: for exclusives; only stuff ripped from the steam store.

I'm sad that they removed the hundreds of tech demos / concepts from the store. Don't want any half-baked stuff on there I guess!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 14, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't buy games sight unseen for >$20, so oculus isn't getting my money unless there's a big sale anyway. I also don't like the look of the future of oculus home, so I'm actively avoiding buying games there as well. We'll see if my attitude holds out once the touch controllers arrive.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was sad to discover that portal adventures didn't work with the leap. But the lab does!!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Angle the leap downwards and you don't have to look at your hands. It works a lot better than straight and you don't really put your hands over your head anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with modded minecraft? I loaded up blightfall but WAILA and the map/way pointer mod don't seem to work at all. A shame because minecraft is really cool in VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I just installed Minecrift-Vive (now Vivecraft) with Forge support, then dropped the mods folder from my normal modpack install on top of it. The server I play on runs a modified version of the Direwolf20 pack so there are a lot of mods installed and it all seems to work. It is definitely crashy though, I've crashed to desktop about half the times I've played.
Looked into it more, there's a bug open for both minecrift https://github.com/mabrowning/minecrift/issues/114 and minecrift-vive https://github.com/jrbudda/minecrift/issues/75 . As of 5 days ago, someone put a pull request in for a fix for minecrift-vive, but I'm not sure if it's being integrated into the main. Unfortunately, journeymap is the other non-working one for me and it's on the list and I sort of need both of them to play blightfall. Bummer.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So the two games worth buying that aren't avail on steam that have been recommended in this thread are darknet and chronos?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The biggest thing I need in war thunder is a mouse reset to center button. With vr its wayyyy too easy to lose track of the mouse and nosedive into the ground because of it.

Picked up subnautica this weekend. Once you get used to the cursor being bound to what you're looking at, it's really fun in VR. Works great!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

The number one thing keeping me from playing longer sessions in the Rift is physical discomfort - the thing sits on my face like a weight. Constantly adjusting it up or down when either my cheek bones or brow gets sore. Thinking Oculus should have tried something like PSVR has where the weight is to the back of your head.
Unless you have a really weird shaped head, you're wearing it wrong. It should do exactly that. The weight should be pretty evenly distributed between the back of your head and the front. The triangle should cup the back of your head right above your neck. Try loosening the straps and pull the triangle down lower and then tighten the side straps to keep it there and the top strap to hold/distribute the weight. Done right it should be comfortable enough to wear for hours, temperature permitting.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've had very few problems running subnautica, and i have a pc that oculus home keeps repeatedly saying is trash. You have to put it on an ssd for sure though, the stuttering is not render based, it's texture reading from disk.

Hacknet was incredibly disappointing, its a game that does not show off or use vr in any way except level transitions. The game itself is an ok puzzle game but honestly something I'd expect to see on kongregate.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
TBF, the roomscale config is still a travesty, literally anyone could come up with a better setup. Having to put on and remove the headset to do the config is silly. But oculus home is completely dead in the water, months later the only significant feature I've seen is to finally switch sound input/output like steam when you put the headset on. You still get dumped to their stupid house, it opens in the background wasting resources for no reason when you go into steamvr and I'm still unable to hide that stupid "your computer sucks" message even though my PC works perfectly fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lemming posted:

You can skip the stupid house in certain circumstances, like I launch BigScreen though steam and the only thing I have to do is stare through the health and safety thing like an idiot and then I go to a good house
I got errors and weirdness when trying to launch games from within virtual desktop; maybe bigscreen beta works better? I'll have to give it a try.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The Win10 version of minecraft is a port of the pocket pc version, which is all C++. It's also the direction that microsoft has declared they are moving in - they are going to feature freeze the java version and concentrate development on the pocket pc version moving forward.

Due to all this, it's super smooth but there are no mods and there won't be until they nail down the API in some future version. It's going to be a while, probably years, if ever. Microsoft paid two billion dollars so they figure they'll be able to monetize it somehow, likely with DLC so there probably won't be as robust a modding community.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Surprise Giraffe posted:

gonna try combining my rift and leap motion. Looks pretty janky but some roomscale has to be better than none. I really want to get back to The Lab!
It's janky but it definitely works in a some of the games. Make sure you mount the leap pointing downwards at a 30 degree angle!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Breakfast All Day posted:

Minecrift has handed to the torch the Vivecraft, which still works.
I'm a bit sad about this because vivecraft has fixed a bunch of bugs that exist in minecrift (like WAILA and map/waypoints not working at all) but also requires the vive wands so I have to wait until the touch controllers are released to play the 1.7.10 blightfall mod

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Elite is so great that people hacked in a way to watch tv inside the video game because otherwise it's too boring

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
speaking of skyrim and witcher, is vorpx worth buying yet? $40 is pretty drat steep for me unless there are full config files I can download and just have it mostly "work" with my current rift cv1 drivers.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rectus posted:

Cool, going to have to buy that when it goes on sale.
I didn't like it. You just want to be spiderman, but the line is too sloppy and stringy and the levels aren't really fun and you spend far too much time doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLhH6L-GVU&t=432s in fact that exact pillar is where I stopped playing!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I enjoy it quite a bit, but yeah it's easy to screw up and lose your momentum and then it becomes a slog until you figure out how to get back on top of things. The concept is amazing though, it would fit really well into more of a speed-based race style game rather than an exploration focused one.
Yeah, where is my wingsuit pilotwings style game?!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

The Ubisoft bird game pretty much plays out like that. I can't gush about that one enough.
This looks real neat, but it's not out yet.

I also see it's part of their lovely uplay launcher - of course it would be. Oh boy, TWO launchers I didn't want on my computer!

Subjunctive posted:

I have effectively-final hardware on my shelf, and they're allowing people to post photo/video of Touch on the web. They're pretty close.
Have any bundled games been announced yet?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mordaedil posted:

I think first person is going to be a bust. Nobody wants this thing except hardcore tech and game nerds. Regular people arent going to go for this. Nobody wants to not see their game character or look down the sights of a gun and awkwardly shuffle around on a keyboard. People are going to keep playing games the old fashioned way, watching TV and movies the old fashioned way.

Seriously what problem is this trying to solve? Im not saying that there has to be some purpose for first person perspective to exist, but it still has to fit some kind of niche. Maybe a tiny minority of people will be into this, but most people won't. It might be like Ultima Underworld. But most people arent going to give first person shooters a second thought.

seriously the technology just seems kind of dumb.
ok

e: you can't drag artistically-inclined people off of drawing/sculpting apps even if they aren't normally what you'd consider gamers, you're talking like fps is the one true game type and yeah it doesn't translate well

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 10, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're disabled, VR is life-changing.

In the "real world", that is, discounting liesure time, people are experimenting with VR for home renovations and CAD and surgery and anything where a 3rd dimension and a sense of scale and presence is advantageous.

You aren't going to be grocery shopping with it, ever.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's a very good point but it's got to go way beyond the disabled. If working in the (rapidly privatizing) transportation sector has taught me anything it's that the free market doesn't consider the disabled to be a userbase that's worth the investment to reach.
That's clearly not true since there is a thriving market in products for disabled people. Even expensive gadgets. Look up the price and variety of hearing aids sometime.

You don't have to have an all-inclusive market, you just need one that's big enough to sustain growth and innovation.