Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

So Reggie Watts is playing in altspace vr tomorrow 8pm pst. Should be interesting to see how that all works out. VR concerts using avatars? I wonder, will have something custom, or will it just be video footage?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kztqy/reggie_watts_performs_in_altspacevr_on_526_and/
The original Kotaku article which seems to have been corroborated by Polygon: http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched. Just hope this doesn't lead to more consumer-loving.
e: why the gently caress does Kotaku have to have separate region-specific sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Do we have any idea when the market for the new nvidia cards will open up with lots of 3rd party options from EVGA etc? I haven't kept up with developments, I'm hoping to resell a CV1 for a couple hundred quid in the next few weeks and put that money towards a new card for when my own rift arrives in August.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Obduction is almost out, release date has slipped to July 26 but its looking very promising. Launching on PC, Mac and Oculus.

Probably the closest we'll get to a AAA VR title for awhile.
Looking forward to seeing the previews of this. Though it seems like it should really be a roomscale +Touch thing a la The Gallery.
Also Edge of Nowhere on Monday. There's a very spoiler-heavy launch trailer from yesterday in youtube. Looks loving cool, and loving freaky.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Weirdly the Kotaku reviewer said it was more comfortable than any other VR game he'd played. This stuff seems to be more subjective than I'd initially thought (though I guess something like EoN will still have a majority effect which justifies a 'medium' VR sickness rating).

Kotaku review (minor spoilers) posted:

Edge of Nowhere’s primary question is whether a perfectly standard type of video game is worth putting into virtual reality. There’s nothing about it that demands it be experienced in VR. Given how frequently the player must simply look ahead to keep their focus on the lead character, there’s barely any gameplay impact. But the sense of scale that VR provides a game like this is remarkable. The comfort with which you can play this game is an example for other VR developers to follow. Yes, it is good and satisfying and even spectacular to play a traditional third-person action adventure in virtual reality.

He also concludes though that were it flatscreen-only it wouldn't match up to the interest of current gen 3rd person games, in terms of the gameplay mechanics being more simply etc. Says it's mainly about the arctic setting+VR.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can't you turn down the screen brightness to fix overheating? Or is that just with the earlier phone models?

Firgof posted:

Finally got all the money to grab up our Vive, it's now sitting on the couch -- and I might have to turn around and sell it because our $300/mo insurance plan is getting rejected - with the potential of a $1000+ surgery coming after that doctor's visit - right after a $700 car repair bill.

This is what I get for wanting to dev for VR.
From last page but this sounds like it sucks, sorry to hear it dude.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'd assume they're using the wands and roomscale, but standing is bad for using conventional movement mechanics right? Will be interesting to see what they do, my money's on the touchpad being used as a movement control stick.
I thought people were demo'ing right after their presentation. No leaks yet??

Mordaedil posted:

They haven't used Gamebryo since Skyrim, Bethesda are just that bad at coding their own poo poo.

The oddness with the game engine was never Gamebryo's fault. It was all Bethesda and their lovely programmers.
I thought Creation was just the next iteration of Gamebryo? Still has plasticine faces etc.

Ciaphas posted:

My brain automatically presented the idea of Witcher 3 on Vive and now I'm sad for the (virtual) reality that will never be
I mean in theory this could be a thing, in a few years with better hardware to run it right? 3rd person seems to work ok for a lot of people once they've got their VR legs. Although I imagine combat animations involuntarily moving the camera would be bad.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Totally get your argument Mordaedil about Bethesda being poo poo, not necessarily just the engine. It does seem to be a combination (though perhaps more weighted towards Tod Howard being responsible, I hate that guy for some reason). The whole ladders thing, having to rewrite some of the code base to get diagonal movement as you mentioned, and when I said plasticine faces I was really referring to the general horribleness of the entire animations system, which also impacts the feel of the gameplay (as per SwissCM). I guess that last may or may not have anything to do with the engine itself, they may be entirely responsible for writing it from scratch for Morrowind and never bothering to redo it.
Anyway sorry for the derail. I don't know why I get so annoyed at this one company (well and Frontier and CiG oh god I have a problem). It's going to be cool to mess around in there, though I'm confused as to why we haven't heard anything yet, it did sound like the demos were happening right after the presentation. e: ^^^nice timing

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742472995780710401

Oculus thing on youtube according to tweeter in twelve minutes
Don't know if it's meant to be the main stream but I see no oculus dude atm.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

So I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR games (of course).

Here are some videos I haven't had time to watch yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhP9ScPL9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkIWaFwfaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tlBgYMJF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blptJbNWeh8
This is cool, though who knows how long the ones which are just 'experiences' will be. Also presumably there is no way in hell anything could look as good as those renders on PSVR.
Do we know for certain these are all PSVR exclusives?

Tom Guycot posted:

look at that new star trak game with levar & company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8

I'm really excited to see how this ends up.
This just reminds me of Star Shitizen now. Goons what have you done to me.

e: also yeah holy lol what are Oculus even trying to accomplish at this point. Are they just terrified of PSVR and panic-buying everything they can get their hands on with no logical justification?
e2: and PSVR is out in October for $399 but we still don't have a release date or price for Touch? They have literally given away the entirety of their lead to their competitors, both times.
Good thing my Rift is finally arriving tomorrow - eBay prices are still up there! selling it on so I can justify a new GPU, I've another CV1 coming in August

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 14, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
There was a quote from someone at Oculus making implications about HTC/Valve not wanting to do the necessary things to get Vive to work with Oculus Home. Might have been a Palmer post on reddit or something. Anyone remember/got a link to that?

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, but they won't be officially supported and Oculus won't have to solve any problems involved in using them.
If what your saying is actually the reason there isn't a SteamVR wrapper then holy loving lol. They're trying to make a VR platform but only on their terms, I get it. But this whole 'they don't want their support team to have to deal with requests from people using cheap Chinese knockoff HMDs' does not sound like a realistic argument.
They could (I imagine) allow a Revive-style wrapper, but they're not going to. Their actual reasoning seems to be based on their obsession with creating the perfect VR experience, a company philosophy that is terrified of killing off the mass market appeal by allowing non-curated content. What's insane about that is the context in which they're trying to carry it out, i.e. the ridiculously elite niche consumer who can afford/is interested in getting into VR right now. And additionally, the fact that a fully-fledged mass market VR product isn't on their horizon, in fact the only thing close to it in the near future is what their greatest competitor is releasing in October.

Basically the whole thing doesn't add up right now. Maybe it will in a couple of years. Wish they didn't feel they have to be cunts to the early-adopter crowd in the process.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally got to try the CV1 last night thanks to my brother getting his before me. Goddamn.
It's probably just being able to check out more and cooler experiences than I have on Vive, which I've only used at official demos (so only SPT and Job Simulator) but there was some seriously mind-blowing poo poo I got to check out on the Rift. For some reason Farlands was really cool (although I was too distracted to work out the mechanics). The visual quality of the aliens and plants was incredible, and I totally get the whole small-scale diorama thing being awesome now - when you shrink the world down, everything for some reason just looks so much more real. And at normal scale, it was so cool just sitting on the ground next to these weird bird things and having them sqwark at me :3:

Elite was great but in VR flaws in the visuals do stand out. Not sure if we were running it at absolutely top settings. I think it could benefit massively from supersampling, on a better GPU.
Does it make any difference if you run it from Home or just on its own? I know they did some wizardry for playing it with Rift but I'm presuming if you launch it standalone instead of from Home that should all kick in anyway?

Lastly, the design of the HMD is just loving great. Can't be forgotten just how awkward strapping one of these things to your face is, but boy did they nail the adjustment and ergonomics. We were swapping it between us all the time, and just a quick grab of the side straps and it's back to a perfect fit.

I have to wait till August for mine :(

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Farlands was an awesome surprise at launch, its a fun and engrossing little casual game. I'm hopping they do an update when touch launches, and/or have another unannounced touch surprise like farlands was. I'm curious what visual flaws you were seeing in elite, as thats one of that standout games for presenting itself without anything that looks weirdly flat or textured in VR, for me anyways. Also yeah, whether its launched through home, or on its own its still using the oculus software and is exactly the same experience.
Yeah, it would be fantastic with Touch as you just absolutely want to reach out and pet the creatures, feed them yourself etc. The modelling and texturing on those things was just drat impressive, stuff like the wrinkled skin around the birds' eyes in the Shore level looked very real. As for Elite:

..btt posted:

Anything not nearby does look like it is projected on a flat plain, though considering distances involved that's pretty much realistic.

When you jump between systems, the depth somewhat breaks the hyperspace illusion - it's pretty obvious most of the effects are just static images projected on low poly 3D objects.

I personally find stellar objects seem too small - orbiting close to a planet or star feels like they're a couple of meters in diameter and only a couple of feet away. Also, not spherical enough. Not sure what exactly causes this.

The worst though is that the small detail on everything causes a lot of aliasing that really isn't noticeable on ultra settings at high resolution on a good monitor, but on high-VR settings with a headset become very obvious.

I still play the game a fair bit and enjoy it in VR, but there is plenty of room for improvement.
Definitely agree with what you said about hyperspace, you can see the random geometry they use. Although if I'm paying attention I still get a real kick in the stomach every time I make a jump. :getin:
Similarly, the skymap/galaxy background, however they generate it, looks a bit off for some reason. Colour compression or something, I'm not sure. I've always thought they could make it more impressive by having proper auto-exposure or lowering its brightness, so it's not constantly there even when you're looking at a bright planet or star or whatever. That way you get the proper effect of it fading in against the blackness of spaaaaace; and when you're looking at planets/stars they look more realistic (you would never be able to see the Milky Way in the same image as the daytime side of a planet). Less is more etc. Space Engine does this really well.

Yeah the aliasing is bad so when I get my Rift and one of the new NVidia GPUs I'm hoping it'll be possible to run with supersampling. I kind of get what you're saying about planets and stars feeling a bit small, but I'm not sure if that' just my brain being unable to process the scale or if they have actually downsized them to make the 3D effect greater in VR. I kind of doubt it's the latter.
What stood out in terms of scale issues was that on the huge stations, whilst they hold up really well on flatscreen, in VR I noticed a lack of fine surface detail. Basically felt to me like they needed more greebling, or perhaps a higher LOD transition threshold.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
There's a good piece on Kotaku about the exclusives debacle. Glad to see someone calling Oculus out if only mildly.
Plus, the FFXV VR demo is a bit rubbish
and the Batman one is good but will only be about an hour long.

..btt posted:

Still, I do think there's something wrong with the depth. The "infinite" plane that targets and distant stars are projected on only seems like it's a couple of meters away. It seems to move way too much when I move my head.
That's definitely part of what I was trying to get at. The background galaxy & stars don't feel like they're 'infinitely' far away from you like in real life - they feel like they're on a plane which is at a definite distance your eyes can detect.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Spent a while playing Elite again last night on Rift. It's loving awesome. That is all.

What would be really cool would be an app which just has chilled spaces to hang out in. A beach with a sunset, stuff like that. Somewhere you can sit on the ground and just chill out enjoying the view. Anyone know of anything like this, on Steam etc?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I like fishing in VR minecraft :v:
Hell I'd forgotten about Minecrift. That sounds cool!
I'd love it if Oculus Studios could release the night forest from their 'Lost' short film. Just you and the fireflies, and that atmospheric piano riff. No giant robots.

Also,

Zaphod42 posted:

Bunch of VIVE games demos just came out apparently?

http://uploadvr.com/new-htc-vive-releases-week-652016/
Valve/HTC's strategy of handing out loads of Vive Pre's does seem to be paying off, even if most of the content is more demo-y than game-y at the moment.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is his tracking setup:

Reality Check VR posted:

it's changed a lot but right now and for this video they are each mounted 1 ft off the ceiling a little less than 25' apart...

Here's him just messing around with Touch in SteamVR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hVW8_YFLM
and him playing Longbow in The Lab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty67YU_89sg

e: I still don't get why they don't allow the ships to rotate in Hover Junkers. Seems like it limits gameplay possibilities a bit. Maybe their tech makes it complicated to implement (though I'm guessing it must be a deliberate design decision).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah Rift stays rendering when Oculus Home is running it seems. Useful but of info for the op?

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah I was wondering this as well. I just started leaving it unplugged most of the time, but I've got a mini ITX case that moves around a lot so it's not a big deal. Just wish it had a front slot so I could waste my money on that front panel with USB and HDMI.
Regarding the front panel, do you mean what this guy is doing here: https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/48gsb3/anyone_know_of_a_pc_front_525_panel_for_vr_hdmi/
I've been looking for a decent front panel with just a bunch of USB 3.0 ports and audio input/output, maybe card readers as well, can't even find a decent one of those it seems (not with all three of those anyway). Having messed around with my brother's CV1 a bit, HDMI on a front panel would be really great, the extra foot a half of cable makes a difference. Although seeing as it's basically just a HDMI extension I suppose it'd make more sense to invest in a proper decent length extension instead.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Did any of you guys get 3D 1080p movies working? I know there was discussion in the old thread and it sounded pretty complicated.
I really want to watch Gravity, Avatar and the How to Train Your Dragon movies on a gigantic 3D screen. Especially the latter as I've seen neither of them in imax unlike the first two!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Obtained a 3D SBS copy of How To Train Your Dragon and watched some in Rift, it was so cool. Feel like that is a huge portion of the appeal, just being able to have a huge TV or an IMAX via Bigscreen or Oculus Video (although holy crap do they need to update the codec support for the latter). The 3D was brilliant, I really want to watch Gravity and Avatar next.

Zsinjeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMwAo6J_ug I am cracking the gently caress up at this Pirate Guy in this video. Great example of how social vr can be, even with only one guy talking
This was loving hilarious for some reason, especially when he slowly emerged from the centre of the table.

e: also looks like they did an update for the Foo Show, anyone checked it out? I had a look before the update but couldn't get it to set the proper view height, it was really low no matter what I did. Guessing an issue with Rift given that (I assume) they are developing primarily on Vive at the moment?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 23, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
And HTC announced a $10 billion investment fund for VR and AR startups: http://uploadvr.com/htc-announces-vrvca/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Google is adding a VR shell to Chrome.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ordered a Rift on May 11th, turns out it's on its way now - originally they predicted August shipping date. Guess they're really catching up now. Of course, the emails telling me this went into my spam folder so I only found out because my bank contacted me to tell me I was overdrawn on my current account :facepalm:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

The new VRodeo episode is out. Pretty good games in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_8U5b6Ae0
Holy poo poo, Sounstage. That is loving crazy.
e: begins at about 7 minutes, takes a minute or two for Jeff to get a handle on it but after that it's awesome.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^they're pretty poo poo reviewers sometimes. They have an absolute aversion to knowing anything about the games they're reviewing, it seems. Kind of irritating.

Anyone got ideas about what might be the minimum GPU that might be able to run a Rift, not to play games but just for movies/virtual desktop? I kind of hoped the Ion netbook I have would do fine, but even once I'd got past the (currently arbitrary) SSE 2.4 CPU check, I can't proceed through the full setup because it needs a more recent NVidia gpu driver. Although I haven't tried it with SteamVR - I take it that doesn't work without all the Oculus stuff installed?
I'm not sure what's the earliest driver version they'll support or what's the oldest GPU (or cheapest laptop with a GPU) that would at least allow installation. Probably wouldn't be enough to play movies in BigScreen or VD anyway right?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^Vector36 looks pretty cool, have they implemented multiplayer yet? And does it allow 3rd and 1st person or the latter only?
Cosmic Trip from that VRodeo giantbomb vid looks loving awesome too, anyone tried that? Vive at the mo due to motion controls.

NRVNQSR posted:

The Rift only works with the very latest AMD and Nvidia drivers because those drivers had code specifically added to support it, so only cards supported by those drivers are going to work. It also needs a direct HDMI output from the AMD or Nvidia card, so Optimus laptops won't work. I've seen claims that the minimum spec the installer will allow is a GTX 650/AMD 7750, but those are unsubstantiated so don't take them as gospel. SteamVR won't help, as it uses the Rift drivers under the hood.
Yep, figures. Will wait until the card market has settled down a bit. I sold a Rift and got a couple hundred quid profit to go towards a new-gen GPU. Elite Dangerous with supersampling, I am psyched.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 11, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah apparently those Vive face covers make a big difference to field of view, anyone else got them/tried them?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

My boss is loaning me his Oculus to mess around with for a week, any must-have free (or cheap?) Oculus stuff out there I should check out? I have Elite: Dangerous and Project CARS, was definitely planning on trying E:D in VR. :D
Yeah as above farlands is a bit weird but has really great visuals and is kind-of designed for roomscale which is cool.
I had a lot of fun flying under river bridges in War Thunder (also free).
In my view it's also really worth getting 3D SBS versions of movies like Gravity, Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon etc. and watching them in Oculus Video or BigScreen (both free). Bigscreen in general is p cool.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Regarding hte lack of Home development, Luckey and Iribe said in that Tested interview they've been working on support for Touch. It's pretty pathetic I agree. Especially given that they are trying to push the platform so hard.
Ditto the Touch release, though I presume they're giving it time for stocking up of hardware/ramping up of their production - plus giving the release games time to wrap.
I still suspect it'll be $250+ though.

KakerMix posted:

Is the idea that you'd have 4 total cameras for room scale? Can't you not do that with 2 like the Vive?

The idea that you can buy the Rift but not Touch is bad enough for potential adoption (but good for Vive ports at least) but if you also have to buy 2 more cameras on top of that plus all the cables to connect to your computer just seems a bit much>
Like the SLI of VR.
It works with 2 cameras to the same extent as the Vive, except the play area will be a little smaller than the largest officially supported Vive roomscale, because the distance from the camera at which you lose tracking is less than the distance from a lighthouse at which you lose tracking.

Hence I don't expect that having 4 cameras will allow you to have a larger play area with the Rift, though I might be wrong.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 8, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The DoomVR locomotion sounds pretty cool: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-may-have-solved-vrs-traversal-problem/

quote:

Rather than instantly shifting the camera from point A to point B, Doom makes you feel like you're dashing through the world with super speed: when you hold down the trigger of HTC Vive's left handheld controller, the world slows down, the audio drops into a deep rumble, and a bright blue aiming cursor appears. When you release the trigger, you see the world rush past as you dart to your selected destination. Being able to see how you got to where you're going while feeling like a time-bending badass in the process feels worlds better than the instantaneous, unceremonious perspective shift found in other VR games.

The whole thing sounds great, be interesting to see the hardware requirements if it really does look almost as good as the 2D version.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

In other news. It's been reported that the touch controllers have magnets in them so you can snap the two controllers together when you put them down. I guess you could also do it if you need to use a mouse or something and have to put one down, you can just attach it to the other controller. People who don't understand how magnets work assume this means that the touch controllers will cause all your hard drives to be wiped, crash any planes within 20nm and disable any hall sensors within 40 miles.
This is a cool and good idea. Though for some reason I thought magnets would interfere with the gyros in these kinds of things.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got advice on which of the basic model (post-founders'-edition) GTX 1080's to go for? Obviously I only really care about warranty and cooling. It's inordinately difficult to find a basic comparison of these things (as opposed to the $1000 extra-sperge-tastic variants).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried out Ark in VR? http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/696863/ARK-Survival-Evolved-VR-support-Oculus-Rift-Major-update-PC-Steam
Seems like it'd be impossible to run smoothly, it's CryEngine right?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Fated: the Silent Oath was good. VR just seems so perfect as a new platform for adventure games/narrative experiences like that. You really can get closer to the characters in a VR story than in any other medium.
Anything else like it on Oculus at the mo? I'm gonna check out Edge of Nowhere at some point probably but apart from that...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played this Damaged Core thing? Looks like it's a big new release from Oculus Studios out today, haven't heard much about it though.
e: produced by Oculus Studios, developed by High Voltage who've done things for mobile & Wii. Also you get access to the beta of their next VR game http://uploadvr.com/buy-damaged-core-week-get-access-dragon-front-beta-later/, currently in development, if you buy Damaged Core this week.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

FormatAmerica posted:

I might give it a shot at $30. There are 8 reviews averaging 4.something stars now, you can only see this from the vr version of the store and not even the rating online or from the application.

I love agile software development.
Oh lol yeah I had no idea there was a rating system on the store. Cool let us know what it's like! The few sites that have written about it seem pretty positive, and the visuals at least look good.

FormatAmerica posted:

Also there's a new, good & free VR video player for the rift now and vive apparently very soon? http://deovr.com/
Wondering why this isn't on Oculus Store early access section. Anyhow I've got it so will check it out, youtube player ist gut.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oh god, does anyone know of free software to repackage an .mkv file so Oculus Video can play it & play the audio? I had one before but I can't remember what it was, and there's a lot of poo poo out there. Just need video passthrough, audio convert to AAC, repackage into .mp4 container.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Helter Skelter posted:

Handbrake should be able to do this just fine.
This is really dumb but I can't see how to set it to just passthrough the video. I ended up using XMedia Recode which does the job fine but I'm curious to know what I'm missing in Handbrake.

Also I hadn't seen Onward. Looks like ARMA-light in VR, which has me pretty excited despite how rough it looks at this stage in development: http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to get a short HDMI extension so I can use the front USB 3 ports on my tower for the Rift, get another foot or two of effective cable length. Do I need anything special or will a bogstandard HDMI 1.4 extension work?

Poetic Justice posted:

If you are just asking about Rift games in general, Chronos is really good. The Climb is good, even just with a controller, but a free Touch update is coming out this fall for motion controls. Minecraft is apparently cool and good and free if you already own the java version and have Win10. PinballFX is surprisingly awesome and I've probably put the most amount of time into that game, and I've never been a pinball fan. Damaged Core is an extremely polished game, hectic and fun, but it has some caveats (head aiming for shooting, teleportation based movement, I went into more detail earlier in the thread.) Blazerush is GREAT. The MP is insanely fun, and all Rift owners should get it. Darknet is a neat puzzle game that's pretty fun too. I also enjoyed Dead Secret a lot, if you are into adventure games. In all honesty most of the Rift exclusive games are pretty great, although I didn't really like Edge of Nowhere too much, but I can see why other people would.
I really like Chronos now - it was frustrating at first as I'm generally pretty bad at games and it's quite challenging. I only just made it past the first boss and I think I'm mid-30s already. But it's becoming really satisfying, and the design and aesthetics are really well polished.

Tom Guycot posted:

Adding to what was already said, I thought esper 2 was a fun puzzle game (and now the first one is included with it), American/Euro truck sim games are enjoyable, and I'd agree with everything poetic justice said, except I was someone who really really really enjoyed edge nowhere. I enjoyed it enough to instantly start a second play through after the credits rolled, and did at least 1 more run since then. I just started playing damaged core which so far has been fantastic, I also just started playing the assembly, but am barely past the intro so I can't really give an opinion on it. Herobound is a neat little, sorta-zelda game as well.
Cool, I looked up Esper and it seemed like it could be good, especially the sequel with Nick Frost, Sean Pertwee et al doing the voices.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Capcom is doing a PSVR version of Resident Evil 7. No word yet on whether they'll port it to PC VR devices.
Some of the pool photogrammetry stuff they've been using to create assets is sick: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1270590&page=1
...though I can't imagine it will look anywhere near that good in PSVR. I just didn't miss photogrammetry was fast enough asking to use it on this scale for game development. Apparently it was also used for Battlefront?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

I define depth as things that aren't possible to do, games are an escape and doing things people can't do normally. People play as generals overseeing a battlefield, soldiers with olympics level stamina, hacking away at consoles with innate knowledge of a fake operating system etc etc.
This is a bizarrely specific definition of 'depth'. Describing a game as having depth doesn't usually have anything to do with whether it allows you to do something you can't in real life - it usually refers to a sufficiently complex & engaging game world/plot/mechanics. Even escapism doesn't have to include being able to do things you can't usually - see thousands of movies or TV shows or (more recently) games about ordinary people with no special abilities or talents (let alone superpowers).

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm confused as hell.

There's nothing you can do in the Witcher that you can't do in VR.

Are you confusing VR with First Person?

Not all VR games are first person, you don't have to play in first person to play in VR.

All of these things are super doable in VR and in fact I have done all of them now? Like, I'm really really confused as to what you're even criticizing. How would VR prevent anything you could do in a traditional video game?

VR controllers have buttons.
VR games do not need to be in first person.
Plenty of VR games already make use of these two truths - there are RTS games and TBS games and third person adventure games out already. (And let me tell you, the motion controllers in RTS/TBS games are actually super great!)

I think that adequately addresses every single one of your concerns 100%, which mostly comes down to having a fundamental misunderstanding of how motion controls work and what they are capable of and what VR actually is.

If you really want do a gesture I'm sure you can make Geralt do a twirl attack in front of you by crossing your hands, grabbing, and uncrossing (like pulling on of those rope tops) or something like that, I dunno. I imagine most people will just press the appropriate buttons.
This. For the things that don't work so well in first person or with motion controllers, there are good alternatives (3rd person, regular gamepads).