Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I've been waiting for VR to "mature" a bit before jumping in while testing my friends PSVR. I played resident evil last night and found it kind of boring. The Vive seems to have better titles available though. I'm more inclined to go with a Vive since my home office is huge and empty. Should I hold off for a while longer or would sometime in the next few months be a good time to jump in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm surprised you thought Resident Evil was boring, it is a very good game. Jump in if you see games you like, if not then don't, simple as that.

I played from the beginning and it just felt like the first 30 minutes were just walking around looking at the same things over and over, and when you meet the family the creepiness just felt a little too on-the-nose and campy. The controls were also very jarring in how you had to turn the POV in sharp 30 degree increments.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The first 30 minutes aren't representative of the game as a whole as it turns into more of a game after that. Like people said you can turn off click turning in favor of smooth movement but it might make you sick.

RE7 is one of the best things available for VR right now.

Oh nice I didn't realize. My friend just handed me the controls and said jump in. I'll try that and then keep moving on. I've never been a fan of resident evil games either so that might play into it a bit.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Are there any good replacement cushions for the Vive that can accommodate glasses?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has anyone else played Sairento? I didn't see it in the games list on the first page but I tried the demo on a whim. Bought it 30 minutes later because it was so good and quickly realized the demo was just a watered down version of all the crazy poo poo you can do in the full version. I've never felt more superhuman in a game. :stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/555880/Sairento_VR/

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tried out that Doom 3 BFG Vr mod tonight. Probably 10x better than that awful Dead Effect 2 game everyone keeps recommending. The controls are a little wonky at times but it's a pretty awesome experience.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ever since I installed FO4 Steam VR thinks it needs to blink as if it's changing resolution on my desktop every time it starts and stops. Any way to keep that from happening? Didn't do it before today.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Dead Effect 2 VR is a better port than any of the Bethesda games so far and thats pathetic. Almost any other VR dev team would have put out a better port to be honest.

Like 100% I felt better shooting, walking, exploring in that game than any time I was in Fallout 4 so far. And this is beyond the awful control poo poo. Just in general, the feeling of the game itself.

I completely disagree. DE2 was bad enough for me to request a refund. That's the first time I've ever done that.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I'm just pissed because it was held up as like the first true, full triple-A VR title. The fact that they completely outsourced and half-assed it sucks, because other AAA devs that were considering taking a chance will point to this as reason not to.

The lesson here is not to outsource the work to a lovely company. That's about it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

For anyone having issues with the visuals in FO4 I'd switch over to the beta and then install Vivid fallout. That seems to have improved things a lot. I'll probably play around with upping the SS level this afternoo. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25714/

A lot of mods seem to work fine. There is an ongoing list being put together over at the FO4 subreddit. I'm trying different combos out here so this list isn't final and a lot of others work even if they aren't listed here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/7jciyv/fallout_4_vr_comprehensive_mod_list_looking_for/

The intro does suck, but once you get rolling it gets good fast. I tried using power armor but the Hud is annoying as gently caress, so I'm just rolling with upgraded leather. I also decided to do a melee build this time. The sprint everywhere mod works so I'm just running full tilt at people bashing their heads in with a baseball bat covered in straight razors. Even the smallest hostile encounters that would put me to sleep in the regular game are loving amazing in VR.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

rio posted:

This one has a hardware check in the actual game to lock out the Rift which is pretty hosed up. Bethesda I can understand since they have their squabble with Oculus but why rockstar? Is HTC paying companies more than they would get from rift owners buying their game? Obviously the question of them wanting to grow the VR community is out since they obviously are trying to fragment it but what do they have to gain from not letting a portion of VRV players not buy their game?

They want people getting into VR now to weigh their options based on what's available between the two platforms. That's all there is to it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fooz posted:

Hip firing in VR is just soooo fun though.

I like having to actually aim. Not sure why people put that down as a negative in a VR game. :confused:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I haven't encountered anyone saying that hipfiring being difficult in VR is a bad thing-- where do you get that from?

I've seen people on reddit (ugh I know) saying that aiming is hard. Not sure if they realize guns don't come with crosshairs in the middle of your field of vision in real life or what.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

It's clearly a port of a 2d game. Vive controllers are not a mouse and keyboard and lack buttons so the controls take a lot of getting used to but they're workable. Blurry at distance. Lots of fun anyway. If you liked fo4 a lot get it. If it was meh 2d wait for a sale. If you didn't like it at all VR probably won't fix it.

Still can't pet dogmeat. He will still trap you in a corner and get you killed too.

I always had a companion in 2d and usually used rifles. Now I'm playing lone wanderer with an almost all melee build.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't mind kids in the game. My wife likes to play rec room, especially paddle ball, and she loves just gently serves the ball so they can hit it then gives them high fives after the game is over.

It's also pretty funny when a kid is in game and you hear glass break followed by an "uh oh" before their body just drops to the floor and goes idle.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anything worthwhile in the steam sale?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just got through the first portion of Tethered and it's really really good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/431120/Tethered/

If anyone remembers Black and White from BITD it's similar to that except there aren't any rival gods (that I've seen yet). You order little "peeps" to collect things, then build things, then fight things. It's probably one of better looking and sounding titles I've played so far. If you want a semi-RTS game for VR it's only 10 bucks right now which is a hell of a deal for how polished it feels.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

Hotdogs and Handgrenades was pretty disappointing. The guns felt super floaty and disconnected. Operating the bolt action was pretty cool, but without any sort of physical feed back it was frustratingly easy to start the next motion too soon and get hung up. Looking down the sights worked pretty well though I suspect it had some sort of aim assist since I'm not normally that good a shot. Also, the grip points and interaction areas were weird and didn't snap well so it often felt like I was holding stuff at a slight angle. Navigation was teleport style and that was okay.

This game is absolute poo poo. I asked for a refund after like 15 minutes of playing it. I have no idea how it's always near the top of "what's being experienced" on steam.

quote:

Fallout4 was set up to use the trackpads to walk and boy did that induce motion sickness. Shooting was plenty fun and at least as accurate as with a mouse, but the rest of the interface, and the pipboy menu navigation in particular, was incredibly finnicky and frustrating. Annoyingly, it had a press button control for taking cover. As far as I could tell in 10 minutes, it didn't take advantage of any of the possibilities offered by roomscale at all.

The menus are annoying so I just switched to projected pip boy. Once you get used to them they are fine. It took a few good fire fights to really get me into the groove but now I love it. It also takes a lot of tweaking to get the visuals looking good on most systems.

So far my favorite games have been FORM, Climbey, Superhot VR, Rec Room, Gorn, and FO4 after I got it working properly. I'd try some of those and then see how you like it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

How do you use a mouse and keyboard in games like subnautica and ED? I cannot get them to work once the game has launched and there is no clear way to get the input to switch over.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Make sure the game window has focus on the desktop? You'll often see things like the Oculus client grabbing focus when they start up, which means the games don't get K+M input even though they're running in the headset.

I had that happen last night but even when the screen is up correctly it still doesn't work. I had the problem with Elite Dangerous too and ended up refunding it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Man Echo Arena is alot of fun but I really hope those knuckle controllers come out soon for the Vive. It hurts playing after a while. :(

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Lemming posted:

Did you use the thing that switches the input? It should be letting you grab with the trigger, I hear that makes it better

Do you have more info on that? Trigger would be incredible.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I think you need to install openVR advanced settings, and then its an option under the revive tab. The "trigger as grip" mode was added to revive back in july, you just have to enable it.'

EDIT: link for openVR advanced settings, which you should be running anyways since he has a lot of great power user features for steam: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

I am running it so thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize that had input tweaks.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

Just want to throw it out again in case of any new VR goons, Soundboxing is still the best poo poo.

zoning out to an amazingly made beat-track is like working out inside of an LSD trip

It's good but my god is the UI atrocious.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I like putting new people into climbey and showing them the basics, then sticking them on skyscraper. They don't think much of it until they get about halfway up and have to go around the corner. I had a friend try it the other night and she couldn't move she was so freaked out. Nobody hits anything or flails about when they're 100 feet up.

The first time my wife played it she cried when she fell. Now she kicks me off the computer to play Gorn and spends more time dismembering bodies after the match is done than actually playing. :black101:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

My Rift has been doing the same thing, have to reboot my PC before I can use it every time now.

I've had to reboot every time I want to use my Vive. I heard it was something with the latest round of drivers on NVIDIA cards or something.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Lately my Vive won't work unless I restart my computer. I heard it was a bug with NVidia drivers but it's been going on for weeks with no real fix. Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it? It's so loving annoying.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ugh so not only do I need to restart my computer every time I want to play (steam vr goes unresponsive and I get a red headset light if I don't) now the sound suddenly won't play through the audio headstrap. I haven't changed a God drat thing and suddenly it hardly works. Has anyone else dealt with either of these problems before?

I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers to the latest version. Opted into the steam vr beta. Opted out again. Verified cache etc. No clue what else I can do.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

iceaim posted:

Which driver? Can you link to it? I'm about to flatten and reinstalling my operating system.

Same. Almost nothing works properly anymore. After a restart and some Gorn on mute I exited an arena and the sound came on. I tried to leave and then SteamVR froze up again and I just gave up. Unless there's a fix for this then I'm just going to put the vive away for a few months. Not worth the frustration.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anyone have any issues with sound just not working in Skyrim? Played for hours today and then went back to play again to night and just...nothing. No changes to mods or anything either. Ideas?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Double check that steamVR isnt swapping your audio to something else. Mine likes to once in a while throw it at my optical something that I don't use.

Other games as well as the menu for SteamVR work fine. It's just Skyrim. Wasn't sure if a patch today broke something.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

SO I got a fault 02 base station error tonight. That means it's toast and I need to RMA right? It said to cycle the power but that didn't do anything. :(

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

Friend, if that thing isn't in warranty (and quite possibly if it is) toss it and get a new one on Amazon. I went through this poo poo last month. $90 plus shipping plus a multiple month lead time for lord knows what reason. Amazon had one at my house later that week for $120 or something.

I got it back in December so I'm still within the warranty period. It's just weird because I haven't touched the system for weeks and out of the blue it just dies.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Kind of a dumb question but I don't know where else to ask since this is the only VR thread I'm aware of.

Does anyone know how to get custom texture packs to work in Vivecraft? Every time I load one up the game mixes everything up and it becomes a cluttered mess. Last pack I tried to load put horse textures on trees. Outside of Vanilla I can't really do a whole lot which is kind of a bummer.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

why would you need anything else?

It just kind of turns the world into a twisted hellscape and with how the ground blocks become semi-transparent it's kind of disorienting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mischievous Mink posted:

I haven't had any issues with custom texture packs in Vivecraft on 1.12.2 or 1.13.2, even with shader mods (a couple shaders make everything blinding white in 1.13.2, but texture packs alone have all been fine). What version are you trying to play? Or what texture pack? I've played around with a bunch and none of them had issues like you describe.

I've tried both 12.2 and 13 and neither work with custom textures. I went down the list of probably 10-15 packs at different resolutions and all of them had the same problem. I haven't changed anything on the back end either. Just downloaded the MC client again, installed, then installed Vivecraft. Booted up and went to change textures and found myself in hellworld.