Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Got my rift. Love the comfort, clarity of the screen and so on, even the god rays don't bug me much.
Only thing is, I get these faint blackish bars on both side of the view, like I can slightly see the edge of each lens, or a double border somehow. No matter how much i fiddle with the headset or change the ipd it remains the same.
I don't notice it that much in War thunder and Assetto corsa, and in other games i can sort of tune it out. Right up until I see them, then it's hard to take focus away.
Has anyone else noticed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

...I have a narrow rat face so it doesn't bother me too much.

So you are suggesting that i shave a few inches of the side of my head?

quote:

I lied, you have cancer. Sorry.

Not funny my balls have been hurting.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Chronos and Edge of Nowhere has made me love my rift. No motion sickness in EoN at all. And i finally have the thing fitted right, so i can play for hours now.

Chronos is just amazing, and i will totally play through it again. EoN is a one time on rails thing, but i still think its worth the 40 $

Even though the internet tells me im not supposed too like Oculus home, i really dig how smooth going from one game to another is. And everything has such nice sounds!

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Chronos surprised the hell out of me with how enjoyable it was. VR or not, it was one of the best games I'd played in years. So atmospheric and stylish, with a fun combat system. I played it the first time and finished in like my 60's or maybe even 70's, but on the next playthrough I got to the end still in my mid 20's.

I went arcane/block type build and im at the final boss (i guess) he is beating the poo poo out of me so im soon in my 50's, Next playthrough im going all agility, it seems like evade is handier than block. Also im having a ton of fun standing up and playing especially the part in the bookcase

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah my first playthrough i really farted up my build, second time through I went almost pure agility since the best weapons to me ended up being the spear and sickle. I actually rushed through to get the spear before coming back to face the first boss, and got the fast experience perk at 20 so I could really level up fast each time I died.

Wait wait, spear and sickle? First boss? I thought i was near the end. So Cyclops is not the end? Man the guy is going to be old as hell when im done with the game.

Yeah got the xp thing at 20 aswell. I like that i can farm creatures to gain levels and practice muh controller skills before going up against the big guys.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Ahahah, yeah you're not even close to the end, practically the beginning, he's just the very first boss. Chronos is a surprisingly meaty and long game for this early VR period. What I found worked really well was:

1) farming all the monsters every time I died to maximize my levels (though after a point the scrub enemies aren't worth it anymore)
2) once you have the key from the shrunken bookcase adventure you can unlock a door right in the area by the tree, before the elevator to the cyclops area and explore a whole new part of the castle with tougher and more xp giving enemies. This opens up a huge new way to level up each time you die. The other benefit of this is there are more dragon hearts you can get to make the cyclops easier when you finally fight him, and in the first room of this new area of the castle, a dining room, theres a new shield on the wall you can grab. You can keep going further and further down this path to new areas without having to fight the cyclops yet, but I won't spoil more of it.
3) I put the vast bulk of my points into agility, but still blocked 90% of the time. The dodging just got me hit too often, but with a beefier shield you can block almost anything and then just counter.
4) Don't waste any points period, like at all, into arcane until you're like in your 40's or even 50's. When you're young it take a lot of points to level up arcane, but the strength and agility are cheap as chips. Once you get old its really slow and hard to level up any strength or agility, but arcane gets cheaper. Also this is personal preference but I favored the magic that makes you invulnerable briefly. I could have that charged up before fighting a boss (or even a tough room), and when the boss gets to their 3rd stage (they all seem to have 3 stages where they get tougher with more attacks each time) you can really unleash some damage they can't do anything about.
5) Memorize the attack patterns of all the various monsters (duh)
6) Learn to love the spear... the range it gives you is just, oh ho ho so nice.

Honestly it sounds like you're making the same mistake I did the first time, I just kept getting my rear end kicked by the first boss over and over and by the time I finally beat him I was in my 50's and since I was an old lady I could now put poo poo all into strength or agility anymore. I would suggest you just restart. You can get back to the point you're at pretty quick, and my second time around I beat that son of a bitch at like age 21, with better equipment and more health potion things.

Solid advice, thanks.

Can't believe im still at the beginning. Im both happy and horrified at the same time.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Just got out of an Iracing race and holy gently caress it was good. Racing against other people is a very different experience than just doing laps by yourself (duh). So much sweat!
The visuals are amazingly clear and I couldn't find any weird artifacts, though I need to see if i can up the AA a tiny bit. I have a homemade buttkicker lying in pieces because of poo poo soldering, but i need to get that fixed. I would buy simvibe (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx) but it's loving 90 $. Someone tell me it's worth it.

One thing about VR is that i yell a lot more than i ever do on a normal monitor.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

I really really need to get iRacing. I don't know why I keep putting it off.

I did a race in a SCCA Spec Racer Ford on Charlotte motor speedway. Made it 12 laps out of 20 before getting kicked out because of too many spin outs. The SSCA is very challenging but fun to drive, you have to be real gentle. Didn't cause any accidents or kill any spectators, and somehow managed to end on 9th out of 18 (best of the worst) so im quite proud of that. Being able to peek out on the mirrors without moving your head helps a ton.

Cojawfee posted:

If you're interested in iRacing, there is a goon league that does stuff. We're currently in a hiatus but we normally do the skip barber on short ovals and sometimes road courses. We've been experimenting with other cars as well. There's also goon racing in Assetto Corsa as well. Both groups race on Sundays.

Thanks, i'll look into that. Im in europe though, so time might be an issue.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Kazy posted:

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Oh my.

That is some sexy hardware. Seems like more and more devs are getting kits. What are you making?

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Found this on reddit.

https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4nj34s/digitalspy_accidentally_leak_upcoming_vr_game/

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/K2aCRhl.jpg

Thanks to Ubisoft and developer Red Storm, soon you'll be able to conquer the final frontier in a brand new VR game called Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Set in the rebooted JJ Abrams universe, the game actually takes place on a new USS Aegis ship, with your mission being to find a new home world for the Vulan population. It's set after the timeline of the first Star Trek film.

http://i.imgur.com/EUGj38y.jpg

It's a four-player co-op experience, with you and three mates taking on the various roles of the bridge crew – Captain, Helmsman, Engineer and Tactical Officer. The entire game is mission-based, but you'll need to work together with your fellow Bridge Crew members to make sure you accomplish all the various tasks.

You'll be communicating to each other as you explore, encountering the Klingons and other alien species en route.

http://i.imgur.com/r6oaDLa.jpg

"The Bridge Crew experience is highly social. That's the type of VR we've been exploring at Red Storm – social VR," explained David Votypka, Senior Creative Director at Red Storm. "Like with Werewolves Within, we really take the tech and apply it to this brand. The social element is already in the DNA of the Star Trek brand.

"They rely on each other. They have to communicate and work together. That dynamic about the brand is like a perfect fit for this technology, where you have that presence. You feel like you're there with other people, but you also get to do it on the bridge of a Federation starship."

Star Trek: Bridge Crew uses hand-tracking and special lip sync technology to make you feel like you're talking to real characters and really are part of the USS Aegis crew.

http://i.imgur.com/OwROnIZ.jpg

It's a bit sad that we're not going to be piloting the USS Enterprise in Red Storm's upcoming VR title, but it seems there's a deliberate reason for making it the USS Aegis.

"Pretty early on, we talked about how players, of course, would love to be on the Enterprise and fly the Enterprise – but, at the same time, this is a new technology that lets you immerse yourself in this world.

"That was one of the reasons why we wanted to allow players to become a Federation officer themselves, for them to become the crew. So, in a lot of ways that made sense. If you're becoming the crew, if you're becoming the Federation officer – it's about your career, your mission, your adventures [then] we should do a different ship.

"Secondly, we wanted to do some narrative story missions as well. If you're on the Enterprise, it's immediately confusing. It's like, 'I'm on the Enterprise, but where are Kirk, Sulu and Spock?' For those two main reasons, we wanted to create a different ship in a different area of space in its own setting and it's own storyline."

http://i.imgur.com/Fu50rm9.jpg

Regardless of the lack of Enterprise, the game still has a uniquely Star Trek feel. Although we've not had a chance to go hands-on (or head-on) with the VR title, three familiar faces have already been strapped into the headsets and given the game a whirl.

Those faces are Karl Urban of the Star Trek reboot and Star Trek: Into Darkness, LeVar Burton of Star Trek: Generations and other titles and Jeri Ryan of Star Trek: Voyager – all of whom have quite the insight into the Star Trek world.

"I have to say, this was an extraordinary experience. It's one thing to be on set and imagine a scenario like this, but it's an entirely different beast when you are actually in this game and your adversaries are fully-3D rendered right [in front of you]," said Karl Urban after playing Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

http://i.imgur.com/C8WjoAe.jpg

"I've sampled VR in various iterations of the technology. This [game], by far, is the best I've ever had the chance to play," added LeVar Burton. "This is where we all hoped we were heading, certainly where gaming is concerned.

"The graphics are amazing, the art – it's all terrific. But one of the things I love most about it is that they have really maintained the integrity of the Star Trek ethos – the values of cooperation are actually built into the gameplay. I think that's very cool because Star Trek really is unique in that it is our hopeful look at the future."

"It's incredible. The things that you do and the way that you interact, everyone working together – it's beautifully done," said Jeri Ryan. "It's not just blowing things up. You're not just shooting. There's a million games where you can shoot people. This is more than that. Star Trek was more than that because also you're trying to rescue people and get them home. It's really cool."

In a time when very few people have virtual reality headsets at home – we currently don't know what platforms Star Trek: Bridge Crew will launch on – we still wonder whether social VR is the way to go. But with our Star Trek guinea pigs, it seems that's one of the biggest sells for the game.

"It was actually my favourite part of the experience," explained Urban. "You learn to work together as a better team. You each have a specific set of functions to perform. If one of your colleagues fails to perform, it could impact the wellbeing of everybody in the game. There's pressure there to get it right and do your job."

"The ability to be in a virtual reality environment with your friends, that's pretty cool. It's absolutely unique and I can't tell you how much fun it is," said Burton. "You're all in different locations, different cities, sometimes different countries. Imagine being able to actually have a physical representation of one another and be able to share a singular environment. That's pretty cool."

But Burton actually wants to take the Star Trek experience a step further by reuniting Star Trek: Next Generations in Bridge Crew.

"I'd love to play this game with other members of the Next Gen cast. I think it would be an absolute blast. Playing with Brent [Spiner], Jonathan [Frakes] and Michael [Dorn] – it would be a gas! So much fun!"

So artemis bridge sim in vr! I hope it comes out to all the systems with cross play.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-and-doom-vr-versions-announced/1100-6440743/

quote:

"Let's not make a short version of Fallout 4--the promise is the whole game," game director Todd Howard said.

Yeah this is awesome.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Since getting my Rift i barely open steam anymore, i havent played a game on my monitor in over a month. I have plenty of games on Oculus Home to play, heck i still play lucky's tale because it makes me feel good inside. I get at least a hour of playtime in every night, just got started on Darknet (its so cool!) I see this thing as a console that uses my pc for power and the more i use it the more i love it. Utterly addicted.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm just sad that it costs $100 more than the competition plus the ~$80 dollars for full room-space.

In euroland, the Rift+Touch comes out 90 euros cheaper than the vive.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Denmark.

Prices vary depending on where you order each hmd from. But in general the Rift comes out cheaper.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Haptics.

https://youtu.be/rCZPZnwYydo

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Spent the evening trying out alot of the Touch games. Dead n buried is amazing and i had no trouble finding other players.
Found a match in Unspoken and Ripcoil also very fast.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'm going to have to move my furniture and get the Vive set up again. I never gave Rec Room an honest try because I have an extremely nervous/anxious social disposition; ditto Onward. Haven't tried SPT since it got that melee weapon, either, and The Unspoken looks neat.

Also Superhot having a VR mode sounds pretty great!

I quickly resorted to whistling and gestures in rec room, as my english is horrible apparently and am not gud at talk.

I've setup my rift sensors diagonally 4 meters apart and 2 meters up. it works surprisingly well. Was able to play The lab and budget cuts 360 without too many issues. That said im still going to get a 3rd sensor.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Deo vr player is lightweight and simple to use. Should help with the stuttering.

https://deovr.com/

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

coolskillrex remix posted:

.....Also seems like im seeing a weird mirror/distortion effect on the left and right sides of my vision. I have yet to try superhot VR though.

The distortion happens for me if i haven't adjusted it correctly. Not sure what you need to do, but it is fixable. Try fiddling with the fit some more. Check your ipd. Move the headset up/down on your head and tilt it in/out.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

D1E posted:

Dirt Rally is also great, but I guess I'm more sensitive to motion sickness than I ever thought, because high-speed driving while seated stationary eventually makes me queasy.

Theres an option in there somewhere, that disconnects your head from the cars movement. Its wierd when the car rolls over and your perspective stays the same, but i'll take that over throwing up in the hmd.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
I can only play Wilsons Heart in short stints before pussying out. Game is going to last me a year.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
There is crossplay between vive and rift, but not psvr.

Edit. In sprint vector. it depends on the developers, most games these days have it i think.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Stick100 posted:

I can't think of any behind the back 3rd person shooters for VR.

Edge of nowhere? Though more stealth than fps.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Someone should make beatsaber beatmaps to Aurealnauts. It seems like a natural fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyqcEI5IJBw

Flashbackjack fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2018

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
* Robo Recall
* Luckys Tale
* Echo VR
* Dead and buried
* Rec Room
* Chronos
* Edge of nowhere
* From other suns
* The Unspoken
* Superhot
* Lone Echo
* Brass Tactics
* Arktika.1
* Wilsons Heart
* The Climb
* Vox Machinae
* Sprint vector
* Moss
* Dirt rally
* Beatsaber
* Form
* Gorn
* Onward
* Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades (steam)
* Pavlov (steam)

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
You shouldnt have issues with those specs. I have had problems with the echovr engine in the past. One time there where no picture in the headset and the monitor mirror was flashing wildly. last time, applying supersampling made the game crash after a while. A dev told people with issues to reinstall the app as some files could have been corrupted. And that did the trick for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

Any one able to help me out as to why extension cables on the Rift headset seem to cause problems? I've used different kinds that were all recommended by either here and/or reddit and I keep getting a black screen like the signal is dropped temporarily. I have a 1080ti if that's relevant.

Did you add a hdmi repeater between your rift cable and the hdmi extension?