Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'm going to have to move my furniture and get the Vive set up again. I never gave Rec Room an honest try because I have an extremely nervous/anxious social disposition; ditto Onward. Haven't tried SPT since it got that melee weapon, either, and The Unspoken looks neat.

Also Superhot having a VR mode sounds pretty great!

Just because you can talk in Rec Room and Onward doesn't mean you have to, and a lot of people just don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Fooz posted:

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

I basically already do this with my PSVR, almost. PS the button to push the screen forward, lift the headset up a bit, and I'm good to drink something or check my phone, and it takes just a couple of seconds. Flipping all the way up would be even better, though, once they get the screens small enough.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone gotten around to playing Resident Evil 7 yet on the psvr? Will that be the first real AAA title to come out for a virtual reality device when it is released?

Releases in 30 minutes, and yes.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

But is there non-puke-inducing locomotion / turning options?

The are lots of comfort options, and most people don't seem to have a problem.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, normal pushing the stick up to walk forwards is enough to ruin me, and I assume they don't have teleport walk because I don't see how it would work for RE7.

drat, that's rough. Best I could think of is to take some Dramamine, maybe even remove the side vision shields, and play only 20 minute sessions until you get your VR legs.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TomR posted:

Not a lot of hard details yet, but it looks like the next wave of VR headsets all use a stereoscopic depth camera setup to do tracking without any base stations. Screen res of 1440x1440, though possibly only 60hz. They are lighter though, seems they are around 350g vs 550g for the Vive. Also they seem to all use the PSVR style headband with flip up screen, which people seem to like. There are a million ways to improve VR other than screen res though. Lighter, more comfortable, better optics. Even the software makes a huge difference at this point. It will be very interesting to see what comes out in March, even if it's just to know if the Microsoft Holographic platform is garbage or not.

Isn't 60hz supposed to be noticably and significantly worse, including causing nausea in a lot of people?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I enjoyed Arizona Sunshine a lot, though the only place I died was once in the mines. I did get frustrated at that point, but I was able to beat it pretty easily later by just putting my back to a wall and spamming headshots.

Beating the game solo pretty much requires you to be able to get a headshot every second or so, just in terms of ammo management, at least on normal or whatever I played on. It does get easier near the end, because you face the same sorts of groups of enemies with better weapons and more ammo.

If you just aren't great at shooting games, I could see getting frustrated and disliking it, for the same reason that I don't like racing or fighting games. I am terrible at them, and my time is now too limited for it to be worth getting good at them. It really sucks when you buy a game and it's just too hard for you to beat, even after slamming your head against it for a good long while.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

This is exactly what wilson's heart would have been if they just hadn't walked you through every puzzle like a pre-schooler. My only regret with the game. It came so close to being a perfect lucas arts style adventure game in vr, only to decide people can't solve puzzles apparently.

This actually makes me want to check it out more. I'm a big baby who gets too frustrated with real adventure games most of the time, so maybe this is designed for me.

Seems like they should have had difficulty settings affect how much puzzle help you get, though.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As long as it's a 15 minute long video or so though because that poo poo overheats rapidly.

Seriously I've used my Daydream maybe 5 times. Maybe I've missed out on some killer game or app but really the most impressive thing about the whole experience is the daydream home portal thing. That poo poo is slick.

I seriously regret getting my Daydream. My 2-year old gear VR was just as good before it stopped working, except Daydream overheats much, much faster. It's basically just a useless scam.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

My daydream didn't overheat while watching all of Moana in a virtual cinema :shrug:

Maybe it works better with other phones, or my pixel XL is just defective?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'm gearing up to buy either a Vive or Rift. I'd really rather save the $200 and go with the rift, unless it is a pain in the rear end to get or keep it working with steam, as it will mostly be used to play with friends who all have Vives. I have some tolerance for troubleshooting, but my free time is highly limited these days.

Can I get away with cheaping out on a rift without a compromised experience?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

PSVR is the most comfortable headset by far but the tracking is garbage, the moves are 10 year old technology that was hacked together to work with it barely, and the standard PS4 isn't powerful enough to run most stuff at a decent resolution. I'm not sure how the pro handles games, but maybe that makes some of the games run at a nicer resolution?

This is coming from someone who owns both a PSVR and a Rift, get the rift if you have a decent PC already.

Seconding this. I enjoy my PSVR and still play it weekly, but it's not room scale, which means it isn't really feature-complete VR. I end up playing tumble VR and Darknet most of the time, which are both simple puzzle games.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Yes. I run steamVR with my rift exclusively except for the rift-only titles. All games I've played work fine. The only thing the vive buys you at this point is a more comfortable headset if you buy the aftermarket audio strap, a bit more future proofing (knuckles controller coming out next year + most 3rd parties are going with the vive tracking system for now), and if you can use more than ~15x15, a larger play area. rift also has marginally better optics when looking at the edge of the screen. The price point is significant enough that the rift is a pretty clear winner right now.

I see. This description almost sells the Vive better to me, but I guess the smartest thing to do is to get a rift now and a gen 2 headset next year. As long as I can play Rec Room without any problems it should be just fine.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Now what dude said about GPUs is dead bang on. You can get an "ok" exp on the rift with a 1060, but you really would wanna sit at the 1070 range or higher for a lot of content. So keep that in mind when shopping.

This is concerning. How much do the higher end games lag on a 1060 6gb?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Skyrim VR is really excellent, and is the first VR game since resident evil that I'll be putting dozens of hours into. I'll also be trying to pick up a a rift on Black Friday, so I'm really looking forward to fallout 4 VR as well.

It's amazing how making the gameplay more fun in and of itself, such as with shooting a bow in VR, can breathe so much life into something.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I managed to pick up a Rift yesterday for $350 from best buy even though the deal was supposed to be online/Friday only, and played rec room and bigscreen with a buddy all last evening. The touch controllers are actually significantly better than the vive wands, and the headset was surprisingly overall more comfortable than my friend's Vive. I will need to buy a third sensor and some prescription inserts ASAP, though. Even with two sensors the tracking and room-scale are perfect... except for maybe one immersion-breaking tracking loss every 5 minutes or so, as I spin around and crouch for paintball or something.

When I get a third camera, does anyone have any suggestions for a USB extension cord and mounts that will work well with it? I heard some can cause problems.

Is anyone in the "Orbus VR" beta? It looks really tempting to me, but I might spend the money on Gorn and Onward instead.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Overall I agree with the statement that the rift and Vive are pretty much equivalent. I'm jealous of my friend's 14 foot by 16 foot play area with his vive, but I only have about 6' by 7' of space anyway, and I like the touch controllers much better. Most important for me was the price difference.

Hopefully sometime next year someone comes out with reasonably priced haptic gloves, or even just positional tracking gloves, which would be much better than any controller. I've read about prototypes, but commercial release and games that use them might take a while.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Got my 3rd sensor set up for the rift, now it is as good as my friend's Vive. I was getting more and more annoyed at having to keep track of which way was "front". My scores in robo recall immediately doubled, as well.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

2 cameras is "good enough", but you'll have one annoying, immersion breaking tracking loss every 5 minutes or so. A third camera removes those and lets you spin around however you want. I'd definitely suggest getting a third camera unless you only play seated.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I had a ton of fun playing "Dead Effect 2 VR" co-op with a friend this evening. I had never heard of it before, so I didn't have high expectations. It was actually very good, especially if you have someone to play with. It's like a VR Doom 3 with a ton of RPG elements and plenty of random one-off mission types tacked on.

It seems that it was a f2p iPad game with plenty of B.S. monetization, but they stripped all that out for the premium VR port, and now running the main story or random survival missions is enough to upgrade things pretty fast.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

SteamVR home and a lot of games actually ran fine on my ancient GTX760, though some games did lag. Now that I have a 1060 everything I can find runs perfectly well.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

As an owner of both a Rift and a PSVR, I'd definitely go with a Rift unless you're really excited about Skyrim VR. I am personally playing Skyrim on my PSVR now, though, as it's a great game. The PC VR with room scale is just technically hugely more capable and allows a lot more freedom, but many games will be the same.

Edit: you'll also pretty much require some contacts to use the rift comfortably. If that's a dealbreaker just get PSVR, it is much more glasses friendly(though contacts make it more comfortable as well). I actually got some daily contacts specifically for VR and use them only for it.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 9, 2017

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Been playing Orbus for a while, and enjoyed it enough to buy a copy for my friend to play with me. Only big complaint so far is that arrow velocity is ridiculously low. You can still shoot a ways away with a big parabolic arc, but I'm pretty sure the arrows travel more slowly than most could throw a baseball.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much is Orbus like Final Fantasy 11? I see there's worms and bunnies to fight. I'm serious, the closer the mechanics are, the more of my friends I could convince.

Edit: instead of doing a free weekend, what about like wow where it's free up to a level cap?

Main difference is that death is far less punishing in Orbus right now. Problem with free until a level cap is that there just aren't a lot of levels, they've only got like 20-40 hours of questing content right now. It's very new. I enjoy it because, unlike normal MMOs, the gameplay is actually fun in and of itself. The bow shooting and waving the wand around are entertaining, and there are plenty of random quest chores to do with my friend, but it's definitely not as developed as a AAA mmo.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Daynab posted:

Not at the moment. The game is really designed for motions and tactile controls so we don't really have anything that would map to a regular controller.

I remembered another complaint: Other people can't see the confetti from my backer confetti gun! Where's my :10bux: confetti, Daynab?!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Truga posted:

SS VR games are my favourite pastime still. They're basically the flat versions of the game, but in VR, if you liked those back in the day, you'll probably love this. I loved SS even back then, besides a lot of minecraft and some simulators it's pretty much the only thing I play in VR now, though only single player mostly.

I bought "Serious Sam: The Last Hope VR" on recommendations like this only to find out that it's an extremely mediocre wave shooter with no movement, so beware of that.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My Orbus review: if you've already shot the bow enough in rec room to be sick of the few levels they have, and want more varied reasons to shoot a bow or make wand motions around other people, here's your game. Otherwise play Rec room.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

Well I ended up not liking Orbus as much as I'd thought. It's a really cool concept but the tutorial at the start wasn't very helpful and when I finally got through that it just didn't feel like a substantial enough game to warrant $40 at all.

There's plenty to do, but you pretty much have to do it with people. I have a friend I play with sometimes and we have a blast, and I've had fun sometimes finding random people in game to play with, but it is quite boring solo. Everything takes 3 times longer without people to do it with, in addition to the lack of chatter and teamwork.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My i5-4760k with 8gb of ram and a 1060 works great for every VR game I've tried. You probably do have to spend $700+ for a desktop PC that's VR capable if you're starting from nothing, but upgrading a 4+ year old PC to VR capable isn't that bad(or won't be, once graphics card prices come down again).

Anyone tried "Primordian"? Looks interesting, like a VR Zeno Clash.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I actually got to play VR this evening and spent like 2 hours in soundboxing. First time I've ever felt sick in VR... because I was sweating and didn't drink any water, I got dehydrated.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Soundboxing is probably the game I play most in VR lately, because one its super easy to lose track of time in it, and two after an hour or two I don't feel like doing much else even if I wanted to. I'm still only like level 5 in Orbus but I just keep Soundboxing instead...

I like playing Orbus, but only with a couple of people I know IRL. It's a little awkward trying to make friends in-game, and it really needs the multiplayer aspect.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TheKnife posted:

Is there any way to disable or autocollect the oculus home lootboxes? I assume this is going to be expanded upon or changed in the future since it's really uninteresting, but even then having a list fill up with uninteresting poo poo that I have to manually clean up is pretty annoying
The only enjoyable part is finding different ways to throw them.

I literally got a low-quality gif of a poop in my Oculus Rift Facebook Social Lootbox yesterday. Poop is the prize that's going to monetize.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

nickhimself posted:

Is Orbus worth the price? It's tough for me to think an mmo boasting "dozens of hours" worth of quests is worth $40. If any of you play it, please chime in with your thoughts on how it's been

It's worth it if you know people to play with, or are gregarious enough to run around making friends with random people. Otherwise, you might not have much fun trying to solo things.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Knight posted:

AFAIK, there's no difference between the VR on Steam or Oculus, but I'd say it's not ready for launch. Subtitles appear outside your field of vision, your PDA appears so close to your face that it strains your eyes, you have to use a gamepad because of the keyboard/mouse issues, tracking is weird and you might not be "in" the position your character is (I started the opening outside of the escape pod for some reason) and there's no tutorial for controls. Actually, a whole lot of simple things were cut from the VR, including simple diving/climbing animations and even some story points (in the normal game you start with the escape pod on fire and have to grab an extinguisher to put it out, there is no fire in VR).

More: http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/4/154645539345046525/

There's a fundamental problem that this is an underwater exploration game and since you're physically standing or sitting upright, seeing where you're going while diving means putting your chin to your chest. They seemed to have worked around this just fine in Station ISS and other zero gravity games, I don't know why it hasn't been applied here (EDIT - It's because the touch controllers solve these problems). This means you can't do simple things like swim flat along the surface while gazing down, because pressing forward on the joystick will move you in the direction you're facing.

Short story: Buy it on Steam so you can at least play the normal version until they fix the VR.

I, too, can confirm that the VR version of this is really half-baked. It's so bad it makes the bethesda VR ports look professional.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I ordered the WidmoVR inserts and glasses and will report back when they get here. Anyone else here have them?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Robo recall is definitely more polished, with more satisfying gunplay, but I'm actually enjoying Sairento more so far.

I think it's mainly because the movement is a lot more fun and important in Sairento. You're not supposed to just stand there/run around and shoot, you're supposed to be literally bouncing off the walls constantly.

Needless to say, you have to be completely immune to VR sickness, but I would guess that most people who actually stick with VR are.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I used to be able to play in like a 12'x15' area, and the experience was definitely better than my current 5'x7' VR area.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My extension USB for my Rift, recommended by the thread maybe a year ago, started causing extensive problems/not working, so I had to remove it. Having short cables is really noticable and annoying in games like Beat Saber, so I need to get another USB extension cord.

Anyone have any suggestions? I wouldn't mind spending extra for a higher quality cord, considering how many hours I wasted troubleshooting my Rift before figuring out the ittermittent issues were caused by the last one. The HDMI extender still works fine.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

You can try cleaning the contacts of the cable using rubbing alcohol and a Q tip, let that dry, the hydrogen peroxide, let that dry, then rubbing alcohol again

But yeah in short "cables go bad" is correct. Best solution is use your VR headset in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere if at all possible.

Yeah, it's quite possible the cable brand was fine and I just stepped on it when it was twisted the wrong way, or something. Hopefully this random replacement works for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Got my new USB cable... and had the exact same issue. On a hunch, I found a powered usb 3.0 hub, plugged it in, and plugged the usb cable into that - and it started working fine. I guess my old motherboard just stopped being able to provide enough power, or I plugged in some other usb thing that drew too much power?

I also installed some ceiling hooks with retractable badge clips to suspend the cords from the ceiling - thanks to the person who suggested that! It was cheap, easy to set up, and dramatically improves the overall experience, even more than the extended cables initially did. Hanging the rift from the ceiling is more convenient than leaving it on my desk as well.