Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Star Trek Bridge Crew is 60% off on the Oculus Store. I am uncomfortable on buying from what appears to be a pretty locked down storefront. What is the crossplatform support like? I want to play with peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Sold

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

My lens insets arrived today. Huge QoL improvement. Headset feels much less crowded and I don't feel the arms of my glasses pressing on my temples after 20 minutes any more. They clipped on a lot easier than I thought they would.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Truga posted:

I'm buying. Question is, who can I unload the old headset onto. I hope there's someone who trashed theirs and is looking for a cheap replacement nearbly :v:

Yeah this is going to be the achilles heal of the whole thing imo. People who already have a Vive are looking at the prospect of a very loving expensive desk ornament.

Also because Vive is one of those products that decides that £1 = $1 it costs $1,123 in the UK. Not a loving chance.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So I've been holding off on my VR while I wait for my inset lenses to arrive but now they're here it's time for me to enjoy all the poo poo you knew was good last year.

God drat Superhot is a nut inducing experience in VR. Basically a new game. Arizona Sunshine is also great fun and reminds me of playing House of the dead on the only arcade machines sans the giant comedy baby blue gun. I am considering making myself a DIY pro stick.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

My Vr-lens.eu experience was pretty positive. They arrive in 2 lil ziplocks and a complimentary lens cloth. You can pop them out and they clip right onto the eyeports with a little wiggling and you're good to go. I have a rift and wear my my headset quite high sometimes the lenses press on my eyebrows but I expect that to improve when my replacement face padding thing arrives. tbh they are literally just lenses on a plastic mount.I also forked out for the blue light protective filter as well so that's probably good?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

jubjub64 posted:

I'm super excited to import my own 3D models!
They also talk about a new feature called Positional Time Warp which will require developers to give Oculus access to app depth data.

I want a room full of :frogout:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just port Jet Force Gemini

Yes please.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Elven Assasin is fun. My arm is tired.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

AndrewP posted:

I gotta try this. The bow and arrow castle defense game in The Lab was awesome. VR is very well suited for archery.

That was what drew me. It's as clunky as early access gets. But the bow mechanics are solid and the devs look like a responsible bunch.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Hellsau posted:

Brass Tactics is real fun if you like RTSs. Pretty much exactly what you'd want from a VR RTS.

It has it's charm but got I hate the controls so much. It's hard to organise an assault when squeezing the trigger slightly too hard sends all your units running towards something screaming, totally ruined the vibe for me.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I Expect You To Die, is loving adorable, but it is also drastically overpriced for the mileage you get out of it. I farted around and took my time, unlocked all the hidden poo poo and even did 3 out of the 5 speedruns and I've barely got more than 2 hours out of it.
It's a stretch to get it at the sale price on the Oculus store but I'd be truly pissed if I'd got it at full price.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

The Walrus posted:

this soundboxing chat got me curious what I look like when I'm feelin all cool in the headset groovin out. as with anything in VR it turns out the answer is totally loving retarded lol.

more gifs pls

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Vive headset arrived in the mail!

...Right before I have to go to work :negative:.

My rift arrived the day all rifts broke. I feel your pain.

PenisMonkey posted:

Don’t even think about trying it robot. You’ll break your back. Again.

Actually much to my joy my mobility issues have impeded my VR experience much less than I thought it would. There has been a few i stances where I've had to errr in the side of caution but so far my VR gamaing experince has been rich and fulfilling.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 10, 2018

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mike the TV posted:

I have a "VR Cover" on mine that keeps the proximity sensor tripped constantly, so my headset always thinks it is being worn. It's slightly annoying, but the comfort is worth the hassle.

I too have the VR cover that trips the censor but poking it with your finger should be more than sufficient to move the padding out of the way, if not, why not just clip a clothes peg or something to achieve the same ends? Would save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

haveblue posted:

There are 5 campaign missions (and 1 that's basically a tutorial). They're fairly meaty with a couple of sub-objectives each but in general you have to be OK with repetition for the game to hold lasting value.

The charm of the game comes from playing it with 3 other people and rotating stations often. It's one of those games you set a night aside for and then come back to it and have fun with it all over again a few months later.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

slidebite posted:

Oh, also, whats the go to recommendation for flight sims? I have Elite Dangerous, but thinking an aircraft sim.

What everybody else said plus don't waste your time with Eve: Valkyrie. It's aged terribly and is poo poo.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Holy loving poo poo.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

GutBomb posted:

The "intended audience" poo poo about corporate customers is lip service to justify the price. It comes with steam download codes for games. It's a consumer device you can buy at big box retailers.

Not only that, I don't know about the US but in the UK you can get it on finance and pay £30 a month for 2 years for it. What loving company needs to get comedy finance for a headset.

https://www.vive.com/uk/financing/

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://twitter.com/BlendoGames/status/989187721414328321

Blendo is working on Flotilla 2 in VR. I just realized how much I want Homeworld in VR.

Oh poo poo. I've always enjoyed Blendo's offerings. Color me interested.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Baby Babbeh posted:

What does everyone use to store their headsets? I currently have my Vive and its controllers kind of in a pile on my desk and the clutter annoys me.

I would have walked through fire for one of these

but sadly the small workshop that made them got freaked out by demand and stopped so I went for this and hang my touch controllers off of a hook on the wall next to it .

I really want to try some of the more active VR things but the problem I have is that my shoulders are hosed. My right shoulder especially dislocates on a semi regular basis, and while I am confident that the pretty linear looking movement of BoxVR would be manageable some things like Sariento or Beat Sabre may just be a ticket to pain which makes me sad.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 9, 2018

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

2/3 of the price is the licensing fee to use multiple Star Trek IPs.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So I just hosed around by myself in Vox Machinae for an hour. I am so loving excited to see where they take this game.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Lemming posted:

I dunno, PGI wouldn't allow them to make the foolish mistake of the mechs not exploding from overheating if you fire two of the same gun at the same time.

I don't know what their vision is for the game on a spectrum from arcade -> simulation. But in my mind I am itching for more buttons to press and levers to pull. I basically would like to see the incorporation of the engineers station from Star Trek Bridge Crew but made out of a Bop It! toy so I am constantly tweaking poo poo to balance weapon damage, movement speed and heat venting.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Talos Principle VR is fantastic. Finding it almost addictive.

Is it identical to the non VR version?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

NRVNQSR posted:

Same content, just the controls are obviously different. I'm pretty sure it includes the excellent DLC if you missed out on that, though.

Was quietly hoping they'd done a SUPERHOT.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does indeed include Road to Gehenna.

Also you should also play the Serious Sam VR games. Same games, only with VR and with dual-wielding.

Hows the motion in what is a very high speed game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not that kind of game; It's just a sandbox.

I am both British and not a gun person, but sort of got a passing tourist knowledge of firearms spending time with ArmA goons, It is totally possible to lose several hours at a time playing with the multitude of firearms in the different situations.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2018

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Knifegrab posted:

I don't know if I'm getting old or what but even with the deluxe audio strap the vive makes my face hurt after like an hour of play. Does anyone have a go to recommendation for foam or something to make it not such a pain or a bit more comfy? (Comedy option get a rift etc etc)

These guys have cornered the market on making keeping a warm sweaty piece of plastic on your face less annoying. Sadly that means they've priced accordingly but if it's impacting your experience it's worth in investment. I have a rift and bought replacement padding and some washable cotton covers and it made it much more comfortable for long play sessions. For the Vive they offer different padding thicknesses as well as the cotton covers and some velour poo poo. I'm sure some other goons have dealt with them as well but along with my lens inserts because I'm blind as a bat I would consider it a must buy if the stock padding is even slightly annoying.

https://vrcover.com

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Holy poo poo! I just looked thing song up and the way they worked the dance in to the saber moves is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTyDubu8VYs for anyone who hasn't seen it.

That's genius.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Palming off the 3rd party music to modders was a genius move. Surely Beatsaber can't be held accountable for what modders are doing to their game, and as we know big corps have a great track record of stopping internet based decentralised projects that they decide they want to kill.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Nalin posted:

You can buy a lens insert for your Rift. A bunch of companies make prescription lens inserts that pop in your Rift and they cost around $60-70 or so. Sadly, I don't remember which company is the most recommended. I think saq once told me, so if he knows, hopefully he'll mention it next time he pops on.

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-rift/
https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/
https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

I have the vroptician ones. They clip over the viewports and don't feel like they're going to stick but they've never come out so they're attaching to something, I am blind as a loving bat and they totally transform the experience.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

SabinBlitz posted:

Man. For the past two nights I've been playing about 4-5 hours and then heading straight to bed. I then have hosed up dreams/trouble sleeping.

I think I need to reduce my playtime by an hour and give myself some time to.... uh... de-sync? I guess? From VR because holy poo poo.

You get used to it surprisingly quickly, give it a few days.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

NRVNQSR posted:

The Talos Principle VR - very possibly the best game available for VR - is currently 85% off on Steam. This is very definitely a "drop everything and buy this right now" price; I've just bought it even though I've long ago 100%ed the game on flatscreen.

For anyone who doesn't know about it: Exploration-heavy puzzle game from the Serious Sam devs. Really well designed with loads of content that's pretty much all interesting. According to Steam I've clocked 60 hours in the flat screen version, and while there's probably a bit of downtime in there I'd say that I got at least 40 hours of gameplay out of it? I haven't spent much time with the VR controls myself but people say they work well.

Talos Principle is one of my atomic nut blast top 10 games of all time. Is the VR experience worth it even though I played it to death??

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since it is filed under “atomic nut blast” I take it it’s more than just a FPS puzzler?

It's a genuinely beautiful and fun puzzler, but I am also a slut for a well written story, and Talos Principle has a really good story

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ill take it for free. I’m still in that “EVERY GAME IS A NEW EXPERIENCE :allears:” honeymoon phase

I’ve got good news for you, I’m 7 months down the line and I’m still in the honeymoon phase. It doesn’t get less cool.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

The only thing stopping me from getting the serious Sam bundle is the likely good that I would loving eat poo poo into something expensive. My balance is poor enough as it is (I use a cane) and fast paced shooting insanity feels like a great way to end up with a photo of my upside down rear end on a 4chan look at how this retard died thread.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Another holla for VRCovers. Those things are better in everyway. They're comfier for everyday where, the padding is wipe down, the cloth cover is machine washable and I have 2 that I swap out I will never go back to the foam.

As for scrip lenses I got my rift ones from https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-rift/, they clip directly to the viewports instead of the padding rim so it doesn't matter.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I don't know about you guys, but a close second to playing VR games is putting other people in a headset for the first time. My housemate of a few months has his kids staying at the moment and the son is 6 and one of those never sit still always on the go all the time kids.

He wanted to see my room (I think he finds me interesting because I'm a guy his dad's age who isn't a relative or one of his friend's dads)He noticed the Rift sensors on my wall and asked if I had VR, he's one of those kids who lives on family friendly LPers showing him minecrraft and Roblox and whatever.

Naturally this lead to him with the rift on his head waving to the robot in the caravan in the intro experience and losing his poo poo and squealing with joy when he found the laser gun and the targets. His first response to getting the gun was to instantly try and spawn a second one, succeed and then spend 5 minutes matrixing it up with his akimbo loadout while his dad grinned and took photos.

Then I stuck him in Job Simulator and he spent 5 minutes eating donuts and making coffee in the office level.

I should apologise to his dad because I think I just gave his kids a new must have Birthday/Christmas Present.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Enos Cabell posted:

Here's a short clip of my 73 year old dad trying out VR for the first time this past summer, he had no idea I was filming.

It’s fascinating putting older people in who aren’t super tech savvy suddenly realise they don’t have to extrapolate their actions through a controller or a mouse of a keyboard. If you want to pick that thing up you just reach and close your hand on it. As a result I e found older people get far more sucked into the virtual world than those of us who have spent years halfway there playing games on a screen.

When my mother tried VR for the first time she was enthralled. She hates heights so naturally I offered to see if she wanted to try mountain scaling sim The Climb unsurprisingly she wasn’t to hot on the idea so I climbed to the top of a course to show her. For those unfamiliar, each climb is broken into 3 sections each ending with a small 3ff x 3ft platform with a bell on it. I got to the top and managed to convince her that now the climb was over she should put the headset on and appreciate the view. She loved that idea.

So at the top of the mountain she is looking around and commenting how real it feels and how pretty it is and paused to look over the edge of the platform and the devil on my shoulder took the wheel without warning.

I pushed her.

She made a noise similar to when a train sounds its horn going past you at speed and is subject to the Doppler effect and folded like a Christmas card and once she remembered she wasn’t actually on a mountain and her son was just a huge butthole she started to fumble to get the headset and controllers off so she could find something to hit me with.

Worth it.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So I watched this and one of the games Dan & Sam: Floaty Flatmates piqued my curiosity. So I grabbed a friend for co-op and went into it as blind as I could. What followed was an absolutely delightful and really entertaining 90 minutes of silly VR co-op with a bunch of really fun ways to play with communication and working together. The game has a ton of character to boot with polish far beyond what you’d expect from a donation driven game. Find a pal and a free few hours and dive in, it’s free!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/978270/Sam__Dan_Floaty_Flatmates/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

What is HTC's boner for touchpads. Nobody likes them.