Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, I'd prioritize a video card upgrade first, and then start thinking about VR.

Also, if/when you do pick up a Rift, just go for two sensors (the ones that come with the headset and Touch) at first and pick up a third only if you feel it necessary. Two-camera roomscale is totally fine if you don't have a huge space.

I accidentally got 3 sensors because I never read anything and didn't realise the Touch came with a sensor. Roomscale works really well and overall I am really happy with the Rift.

I'm currently loving racing sims to death, Assetto Corsa online is fun as hell, they have servers that are track days and the rules are 'no racing unless agreed' and stuff like that, all different cars so you might have a Formula 1 car and a Mazda Miata on the same track, the idea is to just chill and drive, and it works so well in VR it really is top fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone know if having one of three sensors maybe a foot lower than the other two will cause tracking issues? I'm getting a lot of subtle shifting around or the scene on display, it's very irritating (especially when you take it off and brain-brain has to readjust to stability). It might be that that sensor is on a not-entirely-stable platform in the form of a mattress leaned vertically up against the wall I guess.

I have two in front on me about 3ft - 4ft from the floor then one behind me about 6 and a half ft from the floor and it works well. One thing I have found is that if the one behind me can't see the headset (my chair blocks it if I lean right back) then for some reason that makes the whole poo poo the bed and it jitters around.

Maybe something like that is happening? Since I figured it out it's been no problem

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CapnBry posted:

I got this because it was on sale on steam this weekend and tried it myself. I am not a racing sim guy, but i do have a Thrustmaster TMX and a Vive so why not give it a try for $15? How... how are you supposed to play this in VR with a wheel and a mouse and a keyboard? Navigating the game UI seems to be entirely mouse-based and it seems someone saved money on localization by just making icons for everything with no tooltips or any indicator of what they do. I also found the force feedback to be pretty lackluster compared to Forza Apex (but head-and-shoulders above Forza Horizon 3's wheel). The racing line indicator is the worst implementation I've seen in over a decade as it is just a static line that doesn't take your speed into account. Oh really, there's a curve coming? I can see that, and why is the indicator red 300m before anyone would need to brake? Maybe it was generated for Formula 1 cars and not this Fiat 500.

And perhaps I am really bad at racing but I can't beat the second novice career race and I must have done it 15 times now. I do the race in about 3:21 and best case I finish middle of the pack. Does the opponent difficulty of 100% mean they are like Pros or is that 100% of novice?

Still, I played it longer than Rick and Morty and will almost certainly play it again so for dollars-per-entertainment-minute it is a pretty good deal right now.

That's a lot of questions but i'll try and help :)

I navigate by taking the headset off, sorry if I am not understanding but it's as simple as that. Some games like Project Cars have VR menus, others like Assetto don't. I like it either way but prefer looking for stuff in menus out of VR so it works OK for me.

When you mouse over an icon it usually tells you at the bottom of the screen what it is, a little text tooltip.

Force feedback is cool on my wheel so i can't help there really, and the racing line is something I never use, it's better to memorise the track instead and relying on the driving line can stop you doing that as you rely on the line rather than memory. I do agree it sucks though, it's a static line and poorly done.

AI at 100% are really tough to beat, I use the game mainly as a hot lap sim / online though so again I don't run into those issues too much.

It's a good game but quite 'dry' - there are also tons of free mods out there to dick around with. I just love cars so it suits me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sir Tonk posted:

playing Project Cars for a bit with the xbox controller and now all I want is a drat wheel/pedals/shifter/seat setup. I just need a few thousand spare dollars and another room in my house...

It's great, it does whether better than anything else on PC i feel, it's an amazingly atmospheric game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Finally bought a stand for the Rift, after all these years :v:

Also got the Batman VR thingy, now a disclaimer: I know nothing about Batman and haven't played any of the recent games or seen the films or anything.
So judging the game on those merits, it's short but very very sweet. There's some voodoo going on here because a lot of the time the screen door effect was totally absent, or it felt that way. Very impressive visuals. It's essentially a series of puzzles, all simple enough but nice.
The ending though is off the scale, I won't spoil it but... at the end you are in a prison cell and the scene fucks around with you in a way only VR can, when you turn around in the cell different stuff appears in a very cool way, all the while there is a mirror in the cell and you can see yourself - it's really really cool

It's pretty expensive for what it is but it could be the most impressive thing I've seen so far while it lasted.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Face Your Fears is very unpleasant, and I am a huge pussy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bhodi posted:

BTW subnautica did a update and a long-awaited VR pass; they fixed the kb+mouse thing and the docking teleport issue and a slew of other VR related bugs. If it's been sitting in your backlog waiting for a fix, the day has arrived.

It's really good, even if just to chill in the ocean for a bit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooz posted:

In my day we played unity shovelware and we liked it drat it! Seriously glad that VR is slowly escaping embarrassing content poverty. Should be a slew of Oculus Studios stuff and Fallout 4 by the end of the year.

Bro have you seen Titans of Space!!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think games where you have VR and non VR are already showing what can be done, I'm specifically thinking of things like iRacing which I play. VR is common there now, a good portion of people use it and take it for granted. It's cool seeing VR become just another thing rather than OMG NEXT BIG THING!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So just as a bit of fun what are people's top three things in VR? Nothing heavy, just maybe inspiration for others

Mine are probably Elite, the vastness of space in VR makes up for all the games shortcomings imo, it's breathtaking at times. Then I'd go for Assetto Corsa / iRacing tied for racing games, iRacing is great on a full grid of other racers in rookies, it's 80% genuine redneck type dudes all spitballing and crashing and stuff, I heard one guy call another a 'goddamn jimmy rustler' and was hooked ever since. Then I think for pure joy and fun Robo Recall takes some beating, it's repetitive but insanely good dumb fun with high production values.

Honorary mention goes to Oculus First Contact for putting a smile on so many of my visiting pals faces as they experience VR with Touch for the first time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AndrewP posted:

Google Earth VR - in my opinion, one of the more incredible pieces of consumer technology out right now in any space, let alone VR.

Was going to be my honourable mention, it's staggering

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Phuzun posted:

Assetto Corsa when I'm in a driving mood, throwing down some miles in the ring. Mostly do hot laps, though I'll occasionally add some ai if I want to be first or crashed. Dirt Rally is a close second, just takes a bit to get into, though it's hard to beat the feeling of dominating a stage with several near misses.

Assetto made it on my list for the ring too, but online tourist trackdays. It's insanely good fun as they usually have cars of all speeds on at once, so I will be in a Le Mans Porsche and other people will be in Mazda MX5s, and everything in between. Loads of fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This has a special place in my heart because I let my son on VR and went to get a drink or something, when I came back he was lied on the floor rummaging around for a number plate he dropped, then he proudly showed me that he had filled the car up with number plates and trashed the engine

Edit: Just bought Soundboxing cos of this thread :v:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 3, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Trip report on Soundboxing.
I've just spent the past half hour dancing and grinning like a mad man, this is so much fun thanks thread!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Baron von der Loon posted:

Elite: Dangerous I think it's an incredibly boring game when playing on a normal screen, but when I'm playing it in VR, I can do sessions of 3-4 hours.

This is me exactly, since the DK1 days I have logged exactly zero hours in Elite without VR but in VR it's just amazing

It is also what prompted me and my buddies to get Rift Up kits: http://riftup.rozsnyo.com/

Man those were the days ha ha

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

everyone looks like reanimated dead corpses when doing it in 3D.

Luckily this is my fetish

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zero VGS posted:

Sexomancy

Thank you very much!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Soundboxing is fun but it makes me feel old and out of touch, where's the Led Zeppelin at? :corsair:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is there a reason it doesn't use an algorithm or something? I love it a lot but it would be superb if it plugged into Youtube and made songs how Audiosurf does.

But then again, people making and sharing beatmaps is also fantastic and community building

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What I'm getting at really is where is all the Led Zep at?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

homeless snail posted:

If you have a good PC you are way better off getting either a Vive or a Rift, it essentially doesn't matter which, baseline they're pretty much identical. Rift is a bit cheaper at the moment, Vive's tracking is arguably better and the system is a little more flexible, people have minor preferences for one or the other so do some research but whatever you buy will be good.

This is great advice and the only thing I would add really is for me I went with the Rift because I got to spend time with both heasdsets before release and the Vive just felt more like a bigger DK2 to me whereas the Rift felt like a really well design piece of kit and felt better on my face. The differences are that small in reality between the two that this swung my decision. I'm still happy with my choice, but I strongly suspect if I never tried both and just got a Vive I'd still be over the moon.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Well, my current setup is 2 USB 3.0-connected sensors at opposing corners of a 11'x9' room, and I'm getting some subtle but nausea-inducing drift from that. So my hopes are that the third sensor will help rectify the problem, as will the new PC that won't be 6 years old with 1st generation USB3 controller. I'm fully prepared to spring for a 4th if need be, though.

I've got three sensors and it's perfect, really good

Poetic Justice posted:

edit: Also, make sure to read up on which motherboard you get, even modern ones have skimped on their USB3 implementation. Oculus has been working with the manufacturers and stuff, but if you build your own pc, it's something to look into, just to make sure you don't get one that is known to have issues.

I stuck a USB 3 card in my PC before I hooked it all up and it's worked well, cost like £10 or something!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 5, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

8one6 posted:

Name your top three danceable Led Zeppelin songs. I'll see what I can do.

Just some classics, like Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown and Black Dog and whatever I can give you in return I will :)

Edit: The Led Zep thing was sort of a gag but it would be cool!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is amazing thank you!
I have a terrible day ahead of me clearing out my late Dad's house so I will use this later on as a mind clearer, this means a lot to me, thank you again :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

El Grillo posted:

^^same. Also a lot of the beatmaps are pretty poo poo I found. Gonna have to go in with some of the goon recommendations from upthread next time.
How does the search feature actually work? Can you type? Didn't see a cursor or anything. Trying to voice search just didn't seem to do anything.

Voice search works for me but it has a couple of seconds lag on it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great way to fall out with people and annoy each other with the backdrop of impending death, would recommend.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

homeless snail posted:

If I needed a HMD to show clients floorplans or something in VR I'd pick a couple of those up though, they'll be rad for professional purposes.

I'm working on something for a client now and I think I'll be using Gear VR for it, seems the most convenient way

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
VR is worth it to me already as well, for racing games it's just where I want to be. Also resource extraction sites in Elite Dangerous are just :stare: levels of amazing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm remembering Red Planet from "Virtual World" as a child and wondering if there is anything like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPMK4L_Qv4 (Featured: Weird Al, Cheech, everything 90s as gently caress)

Basically I'm looking for racing games that aren't cars.

Redout is good, there is a demo on Steam too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA4Q_b9wrcM&t=127s

Radial G is fun as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWA1FmFtW8

Race The Sun is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4oCSM7c7A&t=143s

Thumper is sort of a future racer in it's own way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chyNh48mE6k&t=320s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooz posted:

The Rift still isn't at a great price point, Vive's is just absurd. I don't recommend anyone buy now when they can just do anything else for a year and come back to a way better value proposition.

I think it's an enthusiast thing at the moment, VR in general. I sort of see it like drones, a pal of mine bought one a few years ago with a HD camera and it cost him £25,000 and now you can buy them for gently caress all basically. We are at the £25,000 period right now with VR. I couldn't do without it now but I am firmly an enthusiast, and a hobbyist and a colossal nerd. And a twat.

Point is those early adopters with their £25,000 drones made the general masses lust after them and so a market was made for that product, we need that to happen next with VR and I think it will.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Some of the best throwing is in Ripcoil, the downside is it makes everyone feel like throwing up in other ways

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

I dug out my ol' DK2 for some Star Trek Bridge Crew multiplayer, turns out that at some point Oculus disabled software IPD adjustment making it just about useless. None of the workarounds seem to work, has anyone else had any luck?

DK2 IPD Workaround:

Exit Oculus Home
Stop OVRService
Edit the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Oculus\NetServer.cfg
On the line that says "DK2LensSeparationOverride": 0,
Change 0 to your IPD (in meters: example for 63.8mm change to 0.0638)
Save the file
Start OVRService

Note: I haven't tried this but I've just looked at that file on my PC and it is there, can't see why this wouldn't work :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

DK2LensSeparationOverride is separate from IPD, it's used for correcting for custom lens holders. I tried it anyway, it didn't really work.

It looks like the best solution is to roll back to the 0.8 runtime and use SteamVR for everything.

Yeah it's the nearest thing I could find to it, sorry :(
Using an old runtime would be my choice, there is a runtime switcher I used for a while, I can't even remember why now, something to do with Windows 10 wanting runtime 1.3 or something. The switcher got around that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dongattack posted:

How is 360 roomscale 3x sensor setup for the Rift looking? Considering poopin out a third sensor.

Works perfectly for me.
I accidentally ended up with 3 sensors as I didn't realise Touch came with one. I am really glad though, I've used the Vive a lot and I'd say it's comparable. I know the size of the room is bigger with the Vive but I am in a smallish nerd cave so it's all good.
Tracking is great and I have all my USBs hooked up to my motherboard.
I can walk around the bridge of my ship in Elite as the docking computer lands me, and yes I have done this and yes it was geeky but very cool indeed!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think an issue also is, say if Oculus suddenly came out with an 8k Rift or whatever, that's great and everything but I only know literally three people with PCs that can run VR now.
I'd be happier if for the next year headset makers strove to drive down prices rather than released (big) upgrades.
I know that is anecdotal and that's bad, but I guess my point is PC VR is the nichest of the lot, even though it's the best and it'd be odd to outstrip the current best GPUs (I'm thinking about 1080s here) in a premature effort to up the resolution. I don't think there is a huge rush, which really is a good thing I guess.
Jesus I got bored even typing that sorry for rambling.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Exioce posted:

I'm thinking a headset with foveated rendering could do 4k with the current batch of graphics cards?

Maybe, and it's all degrees of performance as well, but say for me I can play something like Project Cars and it looks glorious, but at 4k per eye or whatever I dunno, it'd struggle. Stuff like Superhot would be fantastic but I'd sooner have Project Cars running smoothly at the res we have now than Superhot at 8k, if that makes sense.

I'd like those resolutions to come when I know I can go get a GPU that'll do Project Cars etc, until then I am in no massive rush

Lemming posted:

I agree, the technology still needs to catch up in terms of cost. It's not going to break into the mainstream until it's significantly easier to use and significantly cheaper, so yearly updates or whatever aren't going to be worth the R&D

Luckily I think the screen tech and GPU tech are in sync, leapfrogging each other in quite a decent time frame, so it will all come good, it's not like either one is a crazy impossible dream or anything.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 29, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My feeling is that we'll just end up brute forcing the screen door / lower res away with good old fashioned GPU grunt / better screens. Unless foveated does something unique and cool it just sounds like an expensive thing to make / possibly fragile to own?
My son gives no shits about the sanctity of VR and while he never abuses the headset he surely uses the hell out of it when playing, micro screens with moving parts and mirrors makes my bowels twitch just thinking about it.
The other day he filled a car up in Job Simulator with donuts and was on the floor grabbing for a sweet sweet donut to chuck in the car.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

It's just as possible to have a 4x4K panels per eye and use in-built eye tracking to render in high resolution only where the eye is focusing per-frame and for most HMDs this is likely the approach they're going to take. Brute forcing and rendering at maximum resolution across the entire panel is already a waste of resources with current panels, it's even more of a waste as the pixel density and FOV of the HMDs get higher and wider.

The fov is the thing I'd love to be improved, I can deal with the resolution (improvements are welcome though!) but I would adore a proper all encompassing fov

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

iceaim posted:

I think having a bunch of programmable multicolored LEDs surrounding the area outside of the vive's field of view that can be controlled by what's going on in the VR environment could potentially be a fantastic stop gap since we're talking about crude monocular peripheral vision here. I think this would be a great mod for existing Vives and potentially Rifts too.

That sounds really interesting, I have a TV that projects the colours on screen behind it onto the wall to create an ambient effect, and can picture how that would work

I'm picturing this basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Q33FtNdgs&t=79s

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll have already broken the first rule of safe lathing!

You cannot lathe in your sleep please do not attempt as de gloving may occur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I start everybody out in the lab, on the long named landscape to get acclimated to VR and how to move.

This is my winning technique too, followed by a bit of Robo Recall as the intro does a good job of explaining controls