Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Surprise Giraffe posted:

VR cover + thin foam/interface trip report: surprisingly ok given what I've heard about these guys. The cover seems comfortable and I don't have problems with it getting pulled off the foam. The thinner foam barely increases FOV but it's more comfortable than Oculus' packing material style cushion to me. Worth it overall if nothing special.

I've seen a bit from these guys and noticed they had a bunch of different options. Can you link the one you used? Been thinking about their memory foam one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Welp, I am now the owner of a brand-spanking-new CV1. :toot: Thinking about waiting till the new year for Touch, though, as I don't want it to wind up sitting on my front porch for a week while I'm at my parents' place. Are there any free games included that I might miss out on by waiting?

Also, someone should compile a list of recommended VR games for the OP. I would, but :effort:.

Yay new VR buddy! I got my Rift CV1 last Friday. If you like space shooty games House of the Dying Sun (formerly enemy starfighter) has an absolutely fantastic VR implementation and is really easy to get into and play. I never played it before but once I discovered it was on Steam (rift compatible) I bought and have been playing the gently caress out of it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I got my Oculus Touch and oh my god, this is a totally amazing experience. Onward is a crazy rear end experience and Google Earth VR is the biggest nostalgia trip looking up all the happy moments in your life.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TomR posted:

I showed a buddy of mine VR with my Rift and Touch controllers and he was freaking out about how great it was. Then he was concerned if he got one he wouldn't stop using it ever. Then he started acting strange and said his hands and brain felt weird. He only did the intro demo with the robot and disks so maybe like 15 minutes in VR. I never had anything like that before.

Don't show him super hot VR, he will start shaking with excitement and phase into another dimension.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I've using amazonbasics 6ft usb3 extender for rift USB and a urgreen 6 foot hdmi extender. I've also used 10ft cable gear usb3 extenders for the sensors successfully.
I tried mounting one of my two sensors on the rear wall but it's too far away :(
8ft distance of the rift sensor is pretty weak. I dont have a large room at 13x11 and the back end of the play area, while it is properly detected by guardian, has some wonky detection in the very back.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks... I'm seeing enough people reporting really bad motion sickness from Onward in the steam forums, maybe I'll hold off for now and just get Sports Bar VR and stuff to keep me busy until there's some other locomotion options.

I don't get any motion sickness from Onward, you feel really connected inside the game because of all the props used to convey your presence. Your hands, part of your torso and your gun being visible makes it feel really natural.
Space sim games with rapid roll / pitch changes can give me a a small twinge for a brief moment, but I have adapted to that for the most part.
Of course everyone is different so YMMV

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Poetic Justice posted:

It really is. It's insanely fun and I'm excited as gently caress for Robo Recall.

edit: You should probably get Super Hot if you haven't already. It's similar and, although short, IMO it's probably the best game in VR.

I just beat Super Hot VR and I just started right over because it's so loving good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Sword Master VR on steam winter sale for cheap is good fun, works well on rift too!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody have a good DIY solution for mounting oculus sensors on ceilings?

Not DIY but I can vouch for these holding my rift sensor on the ceiling solid.
http://www.buymobius.com/products/vhb-adhesive-camera-mount?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=474141537

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nalin posted:

You should be able to pick the first level in the level select and it will follow the normal progression (probably minus the intermediate room sequences with the disks).

Every time you finish a level from level select it dumps you back at level select. Its a minor issue but if you are showing somebody else the game having to explain which level to pick next while not inside of VR is a bit more complicated.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Also Onward is a must have. Its the hot new counterstrike for the VR age. Its super good, I can't get enough of it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 7, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

Onward is good enough that it's still worth buying even though it's kind of a hassle to play. Lots of teamwork since everyone who's playing is, you know, one of us VR nerds. Pistol rounds are super fun. Knife-only rounds are absolutely hilarious.

Evidently the developer Dante is doing some kind of residency at Valve so maybe they can help him improve it.

It really is, mostly it runs without issues for me (rift user) but I did have a bunch of issues getting started.
Dante is at Valve right now which I think is really cool because he is a totally cool guy and has worked pretty hard on this game. What he has done solo is pretty amazing imo, I think some more support and some other people to work with him on stuff could really turn this into a landmark title.
For the most part right now the community is mostly pretty cool people who don't mind helping newbies and are pretty chill to play with. Some of the "alternative game modes" like hostages are a testament to this and hilarious to play.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Ita meant to be like the vive where you double tap the pad while pointing at the ground or near enough and you sprint. Just doesnt seem to work with the touch sticks. Ill try that magazine stuff though, cheers

Game works fine on the rift+touch but there is a bit of a learning curve to know how to do everything.
I'll be playing tonight, send me a PM with your steam name if you want someone to do a once over with everything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tide posted:

what goons are playing onward?

Steam ID: wade_1125

I play onward a lot, its pretty baller.
Your Steam ID doesn't appear to be correct as it says it can't find you.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ragesaq is me

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I made a Steam group for Onward goons, creatively called Goonward, so we can all shoot mans in VR.
Sadly Onward doesn't really have any grouping functionality so it's still work to team up, but it's a start!
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Goonward

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

Is this all I need to achieve THE TOUCH? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485461309&sr=8-3&keywords=Oculus
2x controllers for accidentally hitting cats and 1x sensor?

Maybe i can get it delivered before they decide to come over and say goodbye to meatspace forever.

edit: since its p cheap anyway and will probably be much more fun for them

Go to Best Buy and pick up a touch in store

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Songbearer posted:

Bought a 3 meter USB 3.0 extension for my second Rift sensor and put it on a cupboard behind me, 360 tracking works practically flawlessly. If it does clip, it's practically imperceptible in the middle of the action. Feels great to be able to scamper around buildings in Climbey without needing to stop and fidget with the sticks, can't wait to try other games with it later :)

Try Raw Data or Onward. A lot of games don't put you in situations where you'll get occlusion and so you can get by with 2 sensor roomscale or 3 sensor room scale.
3 sensor roomscale works 98% for my setup, ceiling mounted and in corners, but the one corner without a sensor has issues if I'm crouching or pointing down and my body occludes one of my hands. The larger distance of my play area probably exacerbates the issue a bit, its about 9ft x 11ft, definitely pushes the sensor range to the limits.
I've got a 4th sensor arriving tomorrow that should solve that problem because its annoying being so close to perfection.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

I mean that's pretty much a win for Facebook, the jury found that they didn't take trade secrets. So they've paid 2.5 billion for Oculus instead of 2 billion, which is still a deal.

Considering Zuck wants to "own" VR like Apple owns mobile it's chump change. Plus it will get appealed.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

I've had Oculus Touch now for about a day and i'm struggling with some yellow to red "poor tracking quality" errors in one or both sensors. I have gone through the google troubleshooting i could find: updating USB drivers, trying all possible combos of USB connections, disabling "selective USB suspending" in the power options and probably more that i have forgotten now.

Sometimes i can get a green light on both sensors, but usually one is messing up. Whenever i get green lights on both, the errors start creeping up after about 15 minutes of play and it becomes unusable.

My sensors are attached to the roof infront of my play area ca max 2m away from where i move around, about 120cm apart facing the play area and are connected with active USB 3 extension cables that i got suggested to use ITT. According to both the Oculus VR check and the SteamVR Performance Test i have a system that exceeds the recommended requirements and should have "a great time in VR".

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: oh and ive tried cleaning the sensors with the cloth that came with the rift

To get more insight you'll want to look at the service log. The poor tracking quality errors actually mean a number of things, some of which can be revelatory if you hover over the little question mark next to the statement.
The oculus service log is very detailed and as of the 1.11 update has some pretty useful logging information in it.
You can find the service log at %localappdata%\oculus\ and it starts with Service_<datestamp>.txt

Some common issues

Most usb controllers are garbage, especially onboard. Seriously, most USB controllers, even intel ones, have had total poo poo implementations since the dawn of time. People who have done serious work with USB have recognized this for a long time, most people just use it for keyboard/mouse/light UFD/HDD stuff where the cracks don't really show.

One factor of USB controller garbage is that they aren't powerful enough to keep up with the load placed on them from a fairly intensive device like an Oculus Rift camera, much less if they have anything else on them as well. Solution: Get a dedicated USB card, various ones are available that are reliable.

The other factor that is related to USB controller garbage is that they also do a poo poo job of delivering the specified per port power that they are supposed to. Solution is a good USB card as I mentioned above or a good powered USB hub, which is a whole different ball of wax.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nalin posted:

They probably pushed the bug to their release version then and haven't fixed it yet. Download ChaperoneTweak and use it to set your boundaries to your Oculus Guardian boundaries through VR itself.

jaete posted:

Nope, wasn't beta. I did try the beta version too but it has the same issue. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well, still the same issue.

Touch Buttons being broken in SteamVR room setup has been broken for an embarrassingly long period of time. Like 6 beta builds and 4 prod builds.

As mention, use ChaperoneTweak to fix your boundaries and also get Advanced OpenVR settings where you can use the Floor Fix button and also disable Chaperone walls from displaying, keeping Guardian, which is always on, visible.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Onward got a big patch today.

quote:

Fixes/Changes:
Major 3D spatial audio update
Performance improvements
Fixed triple map load
Fixed tablet button collision issue
Bolt action rifles now give double damage
Flashbangs have a larger flash radius
Adjustments to a few objective positions
Grenades no longer play collision sounds while in hand
P90 and mp5 sight/aim realigned
Radio cannot be used while in tent
New sound effects, and skyboxes for maps

Note: I removed blood effects, due to a few issues, but they will be added back soon.

Flashbangs are amazing now, the spatial audio update is also huge, lots of scenic improvements like skybox/horizon quality improvements that really improve the feel of the map, and performance is so good I was able to bump my SS up to 1.5 from 1.4 (I have a 1070). I actually ran great on 1.6 until I got into smoke heavy maps that used to make my system chug on 1.4 SS.
Dante just keeps making this game better and better. It is really in the realm of must-play VR if you want a good MP VR shooter.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

averox posted:

Any co-op or is it just team vs team multiplayer?

I'm not that interested in going against other players but would sure love a co-op milsim.

It's VR era counterstrike, so team pvp only. 4v4 teams where one team defends the objective from being hacked.
It's still early access and it's being done by one dev, he is awesome and is currently visiting/developing his game at valve for another few weeks. Long term big improvements he is working on are increasing the team size, more maps, gameplay modes and maaaaaybe eventually vehicles.
In addition to fantastic gunplay the game social components really shine. The VR headsets having a mic built in and the great inverse kinematics from VR head+hands really makes it seem like your teammates are really there in ways other games in the past have never reached.
The community is pretty great and helpful and have come up with some fun alternative gameplay modes like hostages (one guy goes over to the other team and his team has to rescue him but the hostage can try to pull out a knife and kill his captors) and zombies (night map where one team only has pistols and the other team has night vision and knives) that are pretty fun.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

Yeah. There's so little info online also about what works cause everyone gets told to buy Inateck. I'm gonna order a Asus USB 3.1 Type-A card once my cat gets off me and i can reach my VISA, if it doesn't solve my tracking issue i can just return it.

The Asus should use an Asmedia 1142 dual port controller. It's pretty good.
The best is the startech 4x4

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Rec Room quest seems fun, but I can't believe they are still using the garbage teleportation locomotion mechanic. Full free movement ala Onward and that game would be pretty great.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bhodi posted:

For some reason the joystick locomotion makes me REALLY queasy in obduction. I'm not sure why that game specifically, since I didn't have much problem in onward or other games.

Its not the joystick free locomotion itself that is the problem, its the implementation.
Onward is a total dream to play, outstanding movement controls (basically FPS level movement with no jumping) with no vr-sickness at all because they do a few important things that other games don't. I played Onward for about 30 hours before trying out DOOM3 BFG VR. I have never once got the slightest hint of vr-sick in Onwards even with multi hour play sessions but I had to lay down and forcibly quell some sim-sickness I got after 30 minutes of DOOM3 BFG VR.

There are a lot of things that probably accidentally happen that help vs things that were conscious design decisions.

1: Movement speed isn't too high and defaults to fairly slow speed unless you key the sequence to sprint. This translates to a fairly smooth and predictable acceleration speed, which is what you are used to.
2: Turning is either IRL turning or small increment snap turning, so you don't get a weird rotational velocity your brain is struggling to understand. Moving in multiple directions at the same time (forwards + pitch up + yaw left for example) greatly increases the chances of getting vr-sick or real-life-motion-sickness if you are in say a car/rollercoaster ride.
3: When you move forwards or backwards or strafe side to side and turn your head to look around, your original direction is maintained. This makes your movement direction very consistent.
4: Lots of "anchor points" with where your body is in the game world. Your two hands, part of your torso, and a weapon all work towards framing your perception of you moving through the world much your body does in real life.

The end result is that it is very easy to translate your characters movement in game with what your brain is anticipating happening. Motion sickness and vr-sickness (previously known as sim-sickness in really immersive flight sims) are two sides of the same coin. Your brain is either receiving input from your body (sense of motion in direction your head isn't currently pointed at) that doesn't match up with what you are anticipating (because you are reading a book in a car) OR your brain is getting input from your eyes that you are going in a direction you weren't anticipating, because you are going in too many directions at once or you are going in an unanticipated direction accidentally because of poor movement controls.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 10, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Eyud posted:

The headset definitely does generate a little heat when it's "off", it's much less than while the Oculus app is running but I can feel it on mine as well. I tend to just remove the facial interface and unplug it at the headset since it's easier than getting down under my desk to unplug it from the PC.

The Oculus and Vive both run a little power to the headset to keep it from getting too cold so it doesn't fog when you put it on.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
PSVR is total garbage in comparison with Rift/Vive. If you want to really "get" the VR experience you need a Vive or Rift+Touch, and about a 7ft x 7ft play area and a pretty beefy PC. If you can't pull this off you might want to wait a bit.

It is early days for VR still, but there are a few gems like Onward, Super Hot VR and Audioshield that show off the real gaming potential of VR. There are a lot of clever tech demo-y types of games that are kind of novelty and don't have a ton of replayability as well as some non-gaming experiences like Google Earth VR that really just blow you away. There are a number of big budget VR games, along with stuff like Fallout 4 VR, coming out that might start to move VR from where it is now, where it is kind of between cutting edge early adopter level and into a kind of mainstream enthusiast area.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bhodi posted:

Wow, I thought the right controller issue was just me or tracking problems in my space! Any idea how fast this is likely to get into beta?

It's in beta right now, due out to public before end of month.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hamshot posted:

Anyone with an oculus have audioshield working? Most of the sources on the internet say it works fine for them but for me the screen just goes completely black when the gameplay starts. Without official oculus support I can't really ask for help on their forums.

I've played a lot of Audioshield on my Rift. Works great.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Borderlands VR When?

From Other Suns seems to give off a major borderlands vibe. Really looking forward to that one.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

metztli posted:

Apologies if this is clearly answered somewhere else, but:

I bought the Rift + Touch recently and set it up - everything works beautifully!

Unfortunately, all of the free touch games are showing in the store as if they are full price. When I go to oculus.com and look at "My Rift" in the profile, it only shows the headset and sensor that came with it, not my Touch controllers.

Anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

Rerun full setup again in Oculus Home.
Go to settings, devices and click the drop down in the top right.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Poetic Justice posted:

There are apparently still a lot of people in certain corners on the internet that are claiming the Oculus tracking is broken, so I made a quick video to refute those people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1uxo8ELfY

Tracking on 1.12 is pretty much flawless now. I've got 4 sensors all on USB3 with the fancy Startech 4 channel 4 port card and there aren't any abnormalities anymore.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SwissCM posted:

They drifted and required relatively frequent recalibration.

I also recall hearing that they weren't very accurate either.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

I didn't realize Arizona Sunshine added a new locomotion mode, so I tried it out last night.

I know everyone clamors for this type of movement, but this doesn't feel any more "natural" to me than teleportation. It feels like you're sliding across the ground plus some unnatural sideways and occasional mix ups thrown in there your hands aren't pointed the right way. Pretty much every game with this type of locomotion has felt this way to me and I think I prefer teleportation right now.

I haven't played Arizona Sunshine at all, so I don't know how well the Onward style movement has been implemented. Its on sale so I might pick it up.

The big advantage that free movement locomotion in gaming is that it resembles a more true-to-life experience by adding is the ability to dynamically and incrementally make small changes to where you are located, which has been a cornerstone of FPS games since its inception. Early on the implementation (Wolfenstein 3d) was incomplete and gradual improvements were made to improve the experience with things like mouselook, strafing, jumping, crouching, etc and the gameplay of FPS games flourished from these improvements. These hallmarks of the format are is why the FPS genre became one of the most dominate game mediums on almost all gaming platforms.

VR is very powerful compared to traditional "2D" mouse and keyboard FPS gaming, eliminating many barriers to getting that true-to-life kind of experience so it should be no surprise that people who have grown up expecting these kinds of movement options as the minimum in FPS games are going to feel hugely let down by being stuck with teleportation only, as it represents a big backwards slide from the gradual evolution of the format. This isn't to say that teleportation doesn't have SOME place among VR FPS games, I can certainly see it as a possible enhancement like one of the unlock moves in Shadow of Mordor let you teleport into combat/execution range of some poor orc.

A lot of the 'free movement makes me feel weird/dizzy/etc' comments I see remind me a lot of what I remember hearing from people who were getting their first taste of an FPS game in Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, or Duke Nukem 3D. Or of people playing FPS games for the first time on game consoles and preferring a gamepad to a mouse. Perhaps this is something similar and maybe even related, some people are just able to process 3d spatial navigation differently and need that more 'extreme' experience of mouselook or VR free movement. Or maybe I'm missing something entirely but I've not been able to come up with a list of all of the famous FPS games previous to VR that featured teleportation as a primary locomotion method.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

iceaim posted:

But he's right about the fact that back in the 90s people would get motion sickness playing Doom, Descent, and Quake as well. I remember this happening to people too. Obviously VR takes it to another level and very likely a higher percentage of people get sick in VR due to the fact that it's fooling the senses far more effectively than a 3D representation on a 2D monitor.

On an unrelated note: Is it okay to have both Async reprojection and interleaved reprojection enabled on SteamVR. One reddit user claimed you should have one or the other check, but I dispute that since Valve wouldn't have two check boxes that you could check if that were the case. I also experienced zero issues having both checked, indeed I only experienced benefits.

I need Async reprojection enabled when gaming non VR games in Virtual Desktop otherwise I get jitter when I move my head around. With Async projection, everything smooth as silk. It's like magic.

Since the TPcast is technically out in China, I thought one of the HK based computer centres would import it to HK. No such luck, but one store claimed that it's available in Taiwan too. My wife is travelling to Taiwan this weekend to visit her friend and she's going to try to snag a TPcast for me if they do indeed have them for sale.

I think we are at the stage in VR FPS where its both 1: new and people are having some acclimation issues and 2: a lot of developers haven't figured out how to get free motion right and so it causes problems.
I can play Onward for hours and never get the slightest hint of sim sickness (100ish total hours on record so far according to steam), but I can get sim sickness easily if I play other games like DOOM3 BFG edition VR, or another one I tried today Mission: ISS, where you get fairly realistic free floating locomotion inside the international space station with the exception of roll, which is probably par for the course for astronauts too.
Clearly there are a lot of subtle things to get right to translate free movement in a VR FPS into a smooth experience, but at least it seems some people are starting to get it.

Re: Reprojection modes
The right settings are going to vary depending upon the game you play due to how things are implemented in the engine. Take Onward for example, you need to make sure you have both interleaved reprojection and if you are Oculus, Asynchronous Spacewarp disabled as well, both for similar reasons. The problem is that certain things like physics can be tied to your frame rate, and when you start to dip below 90fps IR and ASW both flip you into 45fps mode, double the frames being presented to the HMD, and predict the likely rate of motion for the objects in motion. Both of these things are bad when you are playing a multiplayer game and you are also trying to keep in sync with what the server is expecting, you end up just going really slow.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Phuzun posted:

Picked up Superhot and Arizona Sunshine yesterday. Arizona Sunshine is fun, very challenging in the campaign so far (just into the mines). I went through the Superhot story in one session and am incredibly impressed with it. Wasn't all that sold on the game from what I saw of it before I bought it, took everyone's suggestions and I'm happy I did.

I also downloaded Gorn from itch.io, what stupid fun! Anyone know if you can still get in on the closed release that's getting updates?

Go to their Discord, sometimes the dev tosses out Steam keys for the closed beta.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

El Grillo posted:

Obduction gets its Touch update tomorrow. Been looking forward to this, it looks just awesome.
Also GiantCop coming out on the 30th: http://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/the-walking-dead-easter-eggs-to-feature-in-giant-cop-justice-above-all-launching-this-month/

Not gonna lie, I really want to play Giant Cop, especially with my 5 y/o son. This looks like a great game that would be even better if there was foot tracking so you could stomp on poo poo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

DrBox posted:

I went through a kilo of ginger chews this year working past my VR sickness. I can't say if it was placebo or not but it does make me feel a little better. I don't really feel bad any more but I don't know if it's because have have "VR legs" or I have roomscale options now and avoid the worst offenders.

I think its a little bit of having 'VR legs' and a little bit of avoiding the worst offenders.
I can (and frequently) play Onward and Pavlov, both of which have full joystick movement, for long periods of time and they have no effect on me, its just like playing a regular 2D FPS. Onward has both snap joystick/roomscale turning, and Pavlov only has roomscale turning (irl turning).
However, I play 30 minutes of Pulsar: Lost Colony, which has smooth joystick turning / roomscale turning and two things can set me off towards feeling a little funny. One is smooth joystick turning, the other is when the starship is doing a roll (also smooth) while I am piloting or manning a turret. I had a similar issue with Elite Dangerous and doing a roll. Getting the kind of motion, especially yaw or roll rotations, seems to be critical towards preventing issues.

If there any developers out there working on a VR game that has smooth joystick turn/roll, you are a bad person, stop doing that. If you still think you aren't a bad person, at least put in a configurable option for snap turning.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Loopoo posted:

What programs / games are must-haves for the HTC Vive? Really thinking of picking one up. I need something to get me super hype.

For me my rankings and playtime are pretty closely related of how great the game is. Note that both an HTC Vive and Oculus Rift can play any of these games and I'm only including games that utilized Tracked Motion Controllers because that is what this is all about.
#1: Onward (SteamVR). 120 hours. THE VR Multiplayer FPS Game. Think Rainbow 6 / Counterstrike multiplayer done almost perfectly in VR. The best gun handling, the best FPS VR locomotion and some really good maps. Far and away #1 in my books and I can't recommend it enough, it just gets so many things "just right" its amazing. A major content update is due out this week with another map, some changes to loadouts and more.
#2: SuperHot VR (Oculus Home) - Probably 20-30 hours? Super polished and fantastic exploration of the reality stretching capabilities of the medium. Essentially a really cleverly wave shooter that avoids being a wave shooter. Almost like a puzzle wave shooter? Really fun.
#3: Robo Recall (Oculus Home) - Probably 20 hours? The most polished wave shooter by far, a little shallow but outstanding mod support will likely give this game a whole extra life.

After that the dropoff in both overall quality of experience (game quality or length) is pretty steep, I'll list some random experiences below that
Pavlov VR (SteamVR) is probably the next best multiplayer VR FPS game after Onward, but it plays very differently. Constant run and gun die and suddenly respawn but it feels kind of mushy compared to Onward.
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (SteamVR) - Gun simulator with a wicked sense of humor. Really high fidelity gun interaction and multiple shooting ranges and silly things you can do.
Raw Data (SteamVR/Oculus Home) is ok, it is more action-y than Onward but its a teleport/snapturn only mechanic and the weapon/item interaction just feels a little too burdensome. It also barely does anything to stand out from the wave shooter pack.
Fruit Ninja (SteamVR/Oculus Home) is pretty entertaining, great sword chopping physics but a limited number of game modes means you should get this on sale.
Audioshield (SteamVR) is a pretty great VR rhythm game. Like Guitar Hero where you gotta hit the glowing things to the beat to get points but instead you punch orbs that are flying at you to the beat. Bring your own mp3s or youtube links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I have a VRCover standard edition I got off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Facia...eywords=vrcover
I have glasses that weren't a problem for the regular rift and I can still use them with the VRCover standard thin foam but no outer-cover. It does give a few more degrees of FOV as advertized and its much more comfortable than the factory material.
A+ would recommend!