Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any good Black Friday deals announced on headsets? I’m interested in picking up an oculus or Vive (if it drops low enough) now that I have a non-terrible pc that passes the vr test in steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah pcars two wont be fun really unless you have a wheel and are intent on hotlapping and beating times.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WMain00 posted:

Oh crap it's out for delivery today aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :neckbeard:

But the missus is here.....and I haven't told her I Black Friday'd myself an Oculus.

I am in deep poo poo folks.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m like a jillion pages behind but Windows MR headsets are getting discounted heavily.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-mixed-reality-headset-prices-cut-in-half-on-amazon/

Can these be used with oculus and/or vive games?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2017 was not a great year to release a nazi game where you play as a nazi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, but even more so in 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there anyone who isn’t a ROTT fan?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone know what this actually is? I’m tempted to buy it just to find out.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Controller-HD-Resolution-1920x1080-Black/56206936

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The VR-Tek seems to be a rebrand of a Direkt-Tek WVR1 headset

Someone on Reddit has one: https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/898yod/odd_off_brand_headset_i_received_as_a_work/

I PM'ed them to see if they still have it and to ask some questions. I'll report back my findings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Found the box with some specs:

E: And more pics

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 10, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t buy it I just dug up details

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, I'd use it for racing games mostly. With the google express discount bringing it down to $40 shipped, I might pull the trigger for science.

I have experience with the Rift, so I could compare and contrast a bit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

The rift is 1080x1200 per eye. That is 1920x1080 for both eyes, don't wast your money on it.

This has to be wrong, right? A 3840x1080 display has to cost more than $40

quote:

The 5.5” LCD display features true 1920 x 1080 HD per-eye resolution, making it one of the sharpest visuals on the market. With an integrated dimensional audio system, the WVR1 headset delivers premium hardware where it counts most.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is also this that has a 2560x1440 resolution, which after express discounts is $52

https://express.google.com/express/u/0/product/14507894758734696351_17045332301994464508_8175035
http://www.electronicexpress.com/catalog/119510/DirektTek-WVR2

I am hot for a cheap sim racing headset boys

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ordered the WVR2 version of the Monoculus Rift, which has a higher rez (2560x1440). For $50, if it will let me feel like I'm sitting in the car in Assetto Corsa, I'll be happy.

If its absolute trash, its Wal Mart, so I can return it.

I am proud to carry on the fine goon tradition of asking for advice, being told I'm being dumb, and doing what I was originally going to do anyway :patriot:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats my thought, for the price, if it lets me do hot laps in AC and nothing else, I'll be fine.

I'll give you guys a write up, I've used a Rift before with AC, so I can offer some contrast there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did also get reddit replies back from the one other person who owns this headset on earth. They have the following to say:

1) Still uses it, still likes it, has not gotten itch to upgrade to Rift/Vive
2) Head tracking works well
3) Xbox 360 clone controller that it comes with sucks
4) Believes the resolution is 1920x1080 per eye, but has no way to prove this, as the documentation is mostly nonexistent or contradictory
5) Has not experienced any game compatibility issues

Now, of course, all of these questions can be chalked up to subjectivity or inexperience, or defending your purchase or whatever, but it bodes well on the surface. We'll see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:piss: :laffo:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am expecting it to be a hunk of poo poo, so I'm not disappointed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopefully a lot, for your sake

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Monoculus Rift is on the truck for delivery today!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the Monoculus Rift in my hands and unboxed. After the kids go to bed tonight I hope to be able to get some initial gameplay impressions. I’ll give a trip report later tonight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:MONOCULUS RIFT TRIP REPORT:siren:

I got the Direkt Tek WVR2 VR Headset (hereby referred to as the Monoculus Rift) in the mail yesterday, but didnt really get to mess with it until today.

For those not in the know, I found a cheap Steam VR compatible HMD, hemmed, hawed, and eventually bought it for the princely sum of $50.

First up, the most important part of it all, the box!!! Get ready for gratuitous use of :china:

LMAO at the JPEG compression printed on the box :china:

DEM SPECZ

WE'RE IN! Its....a box

Oof, the person on reddit who said the controller sucked was right. Chintzy, but shows up as a 360 pad, so most stuff should be fine. Ironically has a better dpad than the 360. Comes with its own 2.4GHZ USB receiver that it appears to be permanently bound to because :china:

There it is!!

Featuring: Headphone jack (:woop:), non-adjustable eyepieces (:china:), and a face proximity sensor (:woop:)

All of the other stuff

They supply elastic straps for the headband and velcro straps to hold the combo cable to the headband and get it routed properly. The velcro came stuck to the elastic strap, pulling them apart made the former fray the latter because :china:

OK, enough about the box, how does it work? The short answer? Pretty drat good!!

I hooked it up to my computer and was immediately greeted with nothing :thunk:

I went into steam, installed Steam VR and opened it and got errors about the headset and my monitor needing to be on the same video card (they were) and about the SteamVR compositor being unable to start. So, I installed the pre-packaged drivers. No dice. I searched google, did all the things and nothing worked. Finally, out of sheer frustration I rebooted my computer again. This time, for whatever reason (the reason is :china:) the Holo-Assist program that came with it popped up saying there was an update. I let it update and magically my errors went away and SteamVR quit complaining!!

Now it was time to get Assetto Corsa (the entire reason I bought this thing) fired up. After a bit of dicking around with controls and display settings (this HMD needs the OpenVR setting enabled in AC by the way), I was ready to race. Once I found myself in the headset and in the car, I was blown away!! The screen is sharp, the color reproduction is good, and the screendoor effect is really minimal!!

Head tracking works great too, although there is some drift, after 3 laps of the Nurburgring GP, I no longer found myself looking straight ahead in the game when I was in real life.

I spent so much time researching what wound up being a required driver update, that I didnt get too much time to mess with it, but for $50, I am super impressed, windows confirms its a legit 2560x1440 in resolution, so about 1280x1440 per eye. I don't have a Rift to do a back to back comparison but the Monoculus Rift sure does look like it has less screendoor effect than the Rift, dont @ me.

Here is what I can say so far:

Pros:
-Price ($50 if you use google express)
-Screen (colorful, sharp, I am going to say less screendoor effect than the Rift)
-Lateral and Horizontal head tracking
-Build quality seems fine. Its not the best piece of electronics I've ever seen, but I'm also not worried its going to fall apart in my hands

Cons:
-Non-adjustable eyepieces, if you look like Mr. Burns after his longevity treatment, these might not work
-Included 360 controller is useless :china:
-100 degree FOV
-No room-scale tracking

Overall, if you want a cheap HMD that you wont have to feel bad about breaking or letting people borrow, or if you want to travel with your HMD and Alienware laptop or whatever, or if you're just dipping your toes in VR, this headset is REALLY REALLY hard to beat as far as I know, $50 gets you an honestly pretty nice piece of kit.

Is this going to tear you away from your VIVE, Rift, or WMR device? Absolutely not, but, its far from bad, it plays Steam VR games, and really, just messing around in Assetto Corsa, feeling like I was really in the car was already worth the price of admission.

If you have $50 to blow (there is a Google Express sale on now), and you want to try VR but aren't sure if you're all in or if your PC is up to snuff, or you want a second HMD for whatever, go get one here: https://express.google.com/u/0/product/14507894758734696351_17045332301994464508_8175035

Anything else you guys want to know? Its hard to visually quantify how it works or how the screens look, but if you guys have questions or suggestions let me know

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Can you tell the refresh rate anywhere? I'm sort of assuming its running at 60hz, but who knows. Doesn't say anywhere on the box so thats why i'm leaning that way.

EDIT: More on point, I'm curious about the sweet spot and god rays? From the looks its using non fresnel lenses, so I'm guessing there isn't a problem with god rays, but I'm also guessing it has a tiny sweet spot where anything out of the center starts getting blurry? Are there issues with image warping etc as well?

Windows sees it as a 60hz display. I’m not sure how concrete that is. Assetto Corsa was also on Ultra for all graphics settings, so in VR my PC was not doing 60fps. I have to mess with that yet to get the FPS up to at least 60.

You’re right they are not fresnel lenses. There is a smallish sweet spot in the center and things get blurry towards the edges. It’s most noticeable on static screens. Once things get in motion, I didn’t notice it.

I did not notice any image warping.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, question. Resetting the head tracking center. How do I do that? The HMD drifted a bit over a few laps in Assetto Corsa, so it would be nice to have a return to center button.

Is that individual per game (I didn’t see anything in AC for it), or is it a global thing in windows or steamvr or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you, its CTRL+Space in AC, or look left+look right at the same time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Hmm I'm actually kind of interested in that as I only want vr for racing/elite dangerous. Though my computer isn't that great.

I3 4130 3.4ghz, r9 380 4gb, 16gb ram.

So pretty sure I'd need an entirely new PC to even be able to use it :(

OH, I completely forgot. Here is what I'm running:

AMD FX-8300
GTX 1050 TI
8GB Ram

So, nothing special, it runs AC at least pretty well, I've never played Elite Dangerous

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Does this look weird to you?!

Cyber Andy Milonakis lookin like he lost a little weight.

Good for him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Monoculus Rift (Direkt Tek WVR2) night two trip report:

Holy poo poo this thing is way better than it has any right to be!! Allow me to review a few things

Assetto Corsa: Spent a good couple hours in this game tonight and man does it feel good! Works basically flawlessly out of the box. I really only had to set a key to re-center the view and turn the graphics settings down from "Ultra" to get a great experience. Fantastic!

Project Cars: PC has a cool menu scheme where the cursor is in the center of your vision and you look at things to select them, pretty cool but doesnt always make fine selections easy. Thankfully you can still use a mouse or gamepad. My computer needs a bit more tweaking yet, but its running OK. I need to figure out the performance sweet spot for my particular PC. Also Project Cars has a weird issue where textures and polygons load and unload as you look or dont look at them at the very edge of the display. Its barely perceptible, but its there and it distracts me while I'm driving. Other than that, another good experience.

Redout: Basically Wipeout VR. Runs really well on my PC, but I just dont think its my kind of game. I barely have time to react and its overwhelming

War Thunder: This one really made my stomach flip. Sitting in the cockpit of the plane and banking hard really gives you that holy poo poo feeling like you're really there. Unfortunately War Thunder itself is incomprehensible and inscrutable, and therefore nearly impossible to play. This is no fault of the Monoculus Rift.

The pack-in 360 controller that came with the HMD: Garbage. It kept disconnecting and doing it at the worst time, crashing my plane in War Thunder. Maybe it would be OK wired, but at this point I'll just use a real 360 or DS4 controller.

My glasses that I wear every day: Seemed to help quite a bit with the focus issues at the edge of the screen. Maybe thats more based on my eyes rather than the lenses in the hMD

Here is a quick video showing the output first on my projector screen, then on each lens of the headset. I know its not a objective measure, but it gives you a look inside at least (Note: The chromatic abberation you see is from my phone recording through the lenses, thats not there when the HMD is on your head)
https://i.imgur.com/skuWGHE.mp4

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, and I've probably already gotten my $50 out of it. Cant wait to try out some new stuff.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 27, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Is this just straight ahead, or does it do DK2 style tracking where your neck is fixed but you can look left/right, up down (4DOF?) What kind of cable(s) does it use, what is the actual resolution? Can you read a font 12 word doc without too much screen door? Kind of curious to check this out to use with virtual desktop for coding, etc.

Your neck is fixed. If you stand up or lean over or walk around it doesn’t change your height or position in the game. You can however look up, down, left, right and tilt your head

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not sure if its just the camera filming it or if its in the headset as well, but it looks like it has a lot of chromatic aberration (separation of colours). I mean, still a steal for 50 bucks it looks like if you're just wanting to play cockpit games.

I think it’s the camera, as I haven’t noticed any, but I’ll look closer tonight.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 17, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not sure if its just the camera filming it or if its in the headset as well, but it looks like it has a lot of chromatic aberration (separation of colours). I mean, still a steal for 50 bucks it looks like if you're just wanting to play cockpit games.

Oh, now that I watched that video on a PC instead of my phone screen, I see what you mean. Yeah that huge color bleed is definitely not there in the headset and must be a function of my cameras lens shooting through the HMD lens

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any good flight sims that support VR and gamepads that are free?

I liked playing by war thunder last night but, as mentioned, the game itself outside of the flying is completely incomprehensible to me.

I keep seeing ultrawings and it looks fun but I don’t know if it’s $20 fun and I also don’t know if I can just use a 360 controller for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I read more reviews and watched more video of Ultrawings and I bought it. Its literally VR Pilotwings and I love that game. It also has gamepad support.

I will check out X plane too though, I'm not looking for a hardcore sim where I push 800 buttons, I really just want to get up in the air and go "whoa I'm way up" and then maybe fly upside down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Is this just straight ahead, or does it do DK2 style tracking where your neck is fixed but you can look left/right, up down (4DOF?) What kind of cable(s) does it use, what is the actual resolution? Can you read a font 12 word doc without too much screen door? Kind of curious to check this out to use with virtual desktop for coding, etc.

Sorry, I missed the second half of your question. It uses one single combined HDMI and USB cable. The USB is on a small pigtail that comes off the HDMI cable. I'll load up a word doc in Virtual Desktop tonight and let you know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh I must be missing something really obvious in Ultrawings. How do I exit the game other than pushing alt-f4 on my keyboard? It only takes gamepad input and none of the 360’s buttons will exit the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Can you read a font 12 word doc without too much screen door? Kind of curious to check this out to use with virtual desktop for coding, etc.

You can read a word doc, but I wouldn't recommend it at 12pt. Its readable but you have to slow down your reading because its not as sharp as a regular monitor

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is vorpx good? I see ads for it a lot now that the google recommendation hellmouth knows I have a HMD. I also see people alternately saying it’s the greatest software ever and that it’s garbage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, so VorpX seems maybe hacky but also kind of cool. What is that "Oh Wow" point where I would want to drop the money on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nickhimself posted:

When $40 doesn't seem like a steep price to play one of your 2D games in pseudo 3D I guess

Well right, I guess I was asking what the killer app for it was.