Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I just discovered I can buy a Vive with all these silly Qantas frequent flyer points I have saved up! Time to join the early adopters.

Question: What is that thing on the HTC Vive AU store that says "Coming Soon later this year: No phone, no PC, standalone VR"?

edit: link was broken on the AU store but the US one goes here https://www.vive.com/us/product/standalone/
Some daydream powered thing with a remote. I'll just jump on the vive train.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Anyways, so, hey. I posted last year a bunch about photogrammetry after learning how accessible it could be from Pi Mu Rho, and I thought I would offer a little update in case anyone is curious about photogrammetry from the complete idiot amateur experience. I could get my previous scenes to work in valve's destinations (now just SteamVR home) but I wasn't happy with all the limitations of valve's program. Namely the graphical adjustments they did for performance that made complex scenes look bad, lack of some little bits of flair, and most importantly the reliance on being tied to steam and not being able to have a stand alone exe I could send someone, or even a non VR build to send to folks. I decided to try and figure out how to use unreal, as it looked like the most accessible. Boy was that hard for a novice thats never done any development work of any kind...

etc, etc, ridiculously cool example

Hey man, this is awesome stuff and I want to get into it. Been watching that great course someone linked to as well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mOG_lpPnpY

Can I request that you start a photogrammetry/unreal engine/etc thread somewhere with more detail (links/programs you found helpful, problems/solutions you ran into)?
Your talents are wasted on fast-moving games thread, page 105

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Edit: Alright, well maybe I'll post something this weekend for all 5 people who are interested :P

Sounds good man, cheers. I'll follow along and ask stupid questions whether it's here or a separate thread.

I got started mucking around in the Unreal Engine today. It's a pretty amazing suite of tools, can't help but come up with ambitious concepts when combined with VR.
My vive won't be here for a couple days but I've already got lined up the first several months of games. Photogrammatically capturing my apartment is also something I'm looking forward to.

Converting my garage into a VR dungeon is almost complete, looks like I'll get 2.5*3.5m. I'm suspending the cables off the ceiling - will I need extensions for that size play area?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Then why is it only at 1900 a month?

Minus Patreon's 5% cut and then add the piddly amounts that everyone other than Palmer is giving.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

There is some buzz around this Varjo headset that apparently has a mechanical (a small high density screen that targets your focus as opposed to a complete high density screen that renders depending on your focus) solution to foveated rendering. They are currently claiming that dev kits ship Q4 2017.

However the only demonstrations that have been seen is with a static setup; ie the 'high resolution' section of the screen is directly in the centre and doesn't move. I guess I'll believe it when I see more demos. If it works it is a much cheaper solution, you can just keep the shoddy screens for rendering the whole image and just add one small, moving high density.

https://www.wired.com/story/varjo-vr-microdisplay/
https://twitter.com/all_VR/status/880504159040131082

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What a terrible idea to get my Vive during the sales. So much money... there is an absolute smorgasbord of content for VR now. And a deluxe strap on its way to Australia, hopefully.

So with asymmetric local multiplayer games like the Diner Duo, can I play the keyboard/gamepad role on the computer that is running SteamVR for the Vive player, or do I need a second computer? Because if we can play with just one computer, that opens up a whole new genre of games for me to spend money on.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cool, fights with the missus is pretty much what I'm after. Trying to be a bit more careful about rapid purchases, already had to return Soundboxing because I didn't realise that there's no offline play. My d/l speed means I'd be standing around waiting for each youtube video to load.

In terms of other asymmetric games, I'm also considering these:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/566530/Mass_Exodus/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/541930/Panoptic/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/Keep_Talking_and_Nobody_Explodes/

But you're right, it's a way undertapped market. People with kids especially would buy heaps of these sorts of games.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Echo Arena is real goddamn good.

Needs a bigger playspace than I currently have setup though, even with the brightest most annoying Chaperone possible I was still punching walls constantly. You really get caught up in being a flying robotman. Which makes me think the singleplayer of this could really be something drat cool as well.

I'd like to see how an Ender's game mode played, where everyone (or maybe just one person per team) has guns that knock you out temporarily like the punching does. Really it's like the foundation for a shitload of cool gamemodes. I'd play a deathmatch quake-style game with this locomotion. Trying to manage your direction and velocity while whipping out guns with one or both hands would be nuts. Hopefully they're support of modding.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The arm-swingy movement in GORN is going to take me a little bit of getting used to.. which is a shame, because other than that it'd be a great show-offy game to throw people into. It'll be perfect for the VRcades of the future with 10m*10m arenas.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Anyone go to theWaveVR's Wed night events? Quite looking forward to it, I've done the pre-recorded one a couple of times and even just chilling out in the lobby with randoms has been one of the coolest experiences on the Vive so far.

I'm in Australia btw, so the region lock thing they've got going on is not a big deal to work around. It just doesn't appear in certain steam store regions. Once you've got it installed there's no problems at all.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

i agree. the game would be too easy of you could just get behind people at will with zippy fps movement. and i agree with him it lets tou make more precise small movements than would be possible with trackpad movement.

I agree with all of that as well, but if he wants to sell copies he needs to have a choice between 'optimal, nausea-inducing gameplay' and 'non-optimal, comfortable gameplay'.

I think he could fix it by making it less precise, if the movements of your hands were smoothed out a bit it wouldn't feel so sensitive and 'wobbly'. Like take the average of all the hand movements instead of letting slight finger movements shift the whole world. I can't play it again til he does something, between this and ADR1FT I ruined my brain yesterday. Other things like trackpad movement (Pavlov) don't bother me. Just have the movement be slower? Not hard.

Correnth posted:

I haven't had the chance to play Gorn yet and I'm not super familiar with it, but it sounds as though it's movement is a feature that's both unique and part of the core gameplay

It isn't. He's just being precious.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 11, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

wait, did they change the movement since I last played? when last I used it it was a simple grab and drag, almost like an echo arena or climbey with no z axis.

That's correct. Maybe it's just my inner ear altering the memory but I felt like it was too sensitive to small movements of your hands.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

The idea is short forceful movements in a straight line.

Yes, but if that's the 'idea', you could also make it the reality. Eg when you reach out and grab, you're locked to that axis/direction for that movement, and you move in a straight line towards it, rather than kinda swaying in that direction depending on how your arm moves. I dunno man, something is off about it. Echo Arena doesn't bother me one bit.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The first 2nd gen headset to market is going to make some serious dough. I for one would upgrade for better screens in a heartbeat even if they were being churned out by josef mengele. Totally jealous of all the Valve and Oculus technicians that you just know are right now wandering around the same Rec Room as you in their top secret 4K wireless full-skeleton tracking setups.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Gorn's just gotten touchpad/thumbstick locomotion which feels way, way better.

Now for some reason none of my weapons are showing up at the beginning of Endless Mode :smith:

Hooray, it's now playable. I celebrated by punching my window, keyboard and wall.

It's worth noting though, that according to the dev, trackpad movement is still "objectively worse and will make people have a worse time in GORN in the long run." So while you no long feel nauseous, you should feel ashamed and defeated and not enjoy the game.

On another way more love-and-let-love note, the next theWaveVR event is on in a scant 5 hours and if you haven't checked any of them out I highly, highly recommend it. I stumbled upon the home cave DJ booth yesterday and daaamn. so cool.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I got my headstrap and it good. It expensive. Combined with the face-foam-offset-from-nose mod I'm slightly closer to leaving this world behind.

TheWaveVR Grimecraft show was incredible - medium-large-scale VR social events are a killer app. I had to fight my gf for the headset.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

F.lux, 2nd monitors, Gigabyte XTREME GAMING ENGINE and the latest Nvidia drivers (went back a few releases) all have caused intermittent judders in SteamVR for me. Best to just have nothing at all running in the background.

All my revive games still feel a little 'drunk', like there is too much headwobble. Perfectly fine when standing still but move your head and it's very clear you're not in Viveport anymore. Playable but slightly annoying.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

Stuff like Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle would be a great direction to go with 'full game' versions of poo poo like job simulator/rick and morty. Some of those stupid game-ruining twisted logic item-combining puzzles might make more sense in VR.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Touchpad locomotion in GORN needed to be more immersive so I found a way to really sell it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lytMRtQyqA

took me way too long to figure out what was going on here. I like.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Gameplay is good on vive but I personally haven't been able to connect to any server for more than 10 seconds in the last week.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I've been starting off with small objects to practice with Photoscan. It's a very cool piece of software.

Anyone interested in photogrammetry should check out Realities on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/452710/Realities/

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tide posted:

Is the TPCast for the Vive out yet?

It's out in China, desperate people are ordering from there. US release seems like pretty shortly.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

As the local Wave shill, I will advertise that we're stress testing the home cave party system with a meetup tonight. The DJs will be in the main Expanse lobby from 5PST to friend up for the show at 6PST. Come for lights and music and VRLSD.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zsinjeh posted:

Tank nerds will probably want to keep an eye on this game too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na530jGHOtI

Panzerwehr 1949. Piloting mechs with tank controls using cranks and gears in an alternate World War 2.

e: http://www.kukuru3.com/presskit/panzerwehr1949

haha oh my god that looks great. I'd want a subpac if I'm going to be firing cannons though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I've gone all in on VR. I start my graduate certificate in computing at university on monday, grad dip after that, with a view to C++, computer vision/AI and VR development. I am 100% convinced that it's going to be revolutionary in a lot of ways and I want to be involved. I have a nasty habit of ranting about it to others.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

At this precise moment the Oculus is a no brainer. When Knuckles comes out the equation might change, but Vive will definitely still be the waaaay more expensive option for not a massive difference.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

kaffo posted:

I feel like an antisocial bastard when I read these threads. I tend to just play stuff like IronWolf and QuiVR with my friends (3 of us have vives) and not really play matchmaking games (especially in VR).

It feels weird, the times I've played with randoms in VR it feels a lot more "personal" since you can see their height and percise movements. For some bizzare reason it feels threatening to me.

The one time I played TheWave I did the tutorial, thought it was pretty cool, spawned into the lobby and saw the group of people all chatting away then noped out and never played since. :tinfoil:

Am I broken? :negative:

Come to the show on Wednesday night and I'll hold your hand the whole time. Also watch N-Fold at least once from start to finish it is loving incredible.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Little bit annoyed that the completely game-breaking "Game server failed ten seconds into every lobby you join since day 3 of the open beta" bug is not listed under the 'known issues' on the latest patch, when the mod on Discord told me that they had a bunch of people working on fixing it. I guess I got the game for for free, so there's that. The tutorial (+lone echo) is fun.

I inch closer every day to buying a subpac. Is anyone going to talk me out of it? Because I think this is your last chance.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

P.s. the dreamdeck in the store has more scenes/functionality than the 'tutorial' that comes already installed. One of the scenes in the extended edition is a little floating rock town with cartoony clouds and sunshine that i seriously, seriously wish someone would just totally rip off and make a game out of. It's one of the coolest little demos ive seen in VR.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ADR1FT is probably the worst experience I've had. It took Lone Echo to convince me that space might be cool.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

SteamVR has weird judder. Every so often it's like the tracking "catches" on a position, then snaps to an incorrect position, before returning to normal. I don't know what's up, but it is s annoying. This judder doesn't exist in Oculus Home.

your first couple steps should be:
turn off f.lux if you have it (and anything else running in the background, pretty much)
roll back nvidia drivers to 382.53
if you have multiple monitors try unplugging the 2nd/3rd etc

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's the best way to deal with your cable? I've got mine suspended, but when I put it on there's about a foot or two of slack cable dangling around for me to get tangled in.

Get rid of the slack with either lanyard-retractor-thingies or dog-walking-retractor-thingies.
Suspending is the way to go dudes, seriously.
Don't put up with that stepping over the cable bullshit, be a man and suspend.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Just picked up a S8 and lastest(?) Gear VR. I guess the S8 resolution is as good as it gets today for a commercial HMD. Still kind of meh for watching movies. It's like less than 720p(maybe even closer to 480p) res on a virtual screen. It's better than a tiny laptop screen on a lap tray on a plane. Still playing around with it.

How does it compare to the rift/vive?

Also re: future of VR, a great talk by the CTO of leap motion about what's going on 'behind closes doors'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_hm6aqr8D8

He gets a bit future-crazy towards the end but it's interesting to hear that gen 2 looks like it will have a split between 'perfect form factor (sunglasses) with lovely graphics' and 'much better graphics but still immensely cumbersome'.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Songbearer posted:

DOOM 3 BFG Edition is £3.74 on STEAM, meaning there's no excuse not to get it and try out the amazing VR mod for it. . I never liked DOOM 3 that much when I first played it because I was a scardey cat little teenager and then later on realised it was pretty mediocre once I got past the 2spookiness of it, but as a VR title it's absolutely awesome and feels like it was intended to be played that way all along. It's really, really good and you can count it as a full-length game with high production values, something that's fairly rare on the market especially for its ridiculously low pricepoint.

people need to be warned to get a savegame or something that skips the entire intro, it made me sick as poo poo with all it's stupid cutscenes. and it was only partially the horrible camera movements, mostly it was the terrible, terrible plot.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Close your eyes through it or just get up and grab a snack/drink until it's finished if you can't skip it? :confused:

it requires you to walk through it all

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ok, maybe I was doing it wrong. Whenever I walked into an area with a cutscene my 'head' left my body and became the camera flying around watching all the bullshit unfold.
I seem to remember the menu being pretty shoddy as well. By the time I got to having a gun and a torch I was so ill I just gave up on it. Maybe there's been updates since then, I'll give it another shot.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

FORM was pretty nice I thought. Short, but fairly impressive.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

Yeah. One of my favourites in the burgeoning VR genre of 'get really high and finish it in one sitting'

The guy who made L U N E and Warka Warka Flim Flam (which are both worth the couple bucks on Steam) has a bunch of pretty interesting free little trip-toyish experiments for free on his site cabbibo.com. He's also got a few really thought-provoking rants on there about VR, interactivity, etc. Warka Warka in particular nails the sensation of paddle + ball so closely that i find my brain 'remembering' it as real, more so than, for example, ripping apart robots in Robo Recall.

I'm about to get vague here but he makes a really good point that when most devs put, for example, a table in VR, we can just put our 'hand' straight through it, with no effect. Having these objects respond to the interaction of hand passing through in a believable way, say a 'bloop' noise and ripples, maybe little strings of VR-goop trailing off your controller, we might begin to perceive them as having their own sort of reality, as opposed to shallow reflections of the real world.

Also Chroma Lab is hella wicked.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

The guy who made L U N E and Warka Warka Flim Flam (which are both worth the couple bucks on Steam) has a bunch of pretty interesting free little trip-toyish experiments for free on his site cabbibo.com. He's also got a few really thought-provoking rants on there about VR, interactivity, etc. Warka Warka in particular nails the sensation of paddle + ball so closely that i find my brain 'remembering' it as real, more so than, for example, ripping apart robots in Robo Recall.

I'm about to get vague here but he makes a really good point that when most devs put, for example, a table in VR, we can just put our 'hand' straight through it, with no effect. Having these objects respond to the interaction of hand passing through in a believable way, say a 'bloop' noise and ripples, maybe little strings of VR-goop trailing off your controller, we might begin to perceive them as having their own sort of reality, as opposed to shallow reflections of the real world.

Also Chroma Lab is hella wicked.

sorry, I got that address wrong, cabbibo's demos are at http://cabbibo.is/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

When set up right, doom 3 practically feels like a native VR game.

Look, you obviously like it, but this is a huge exaggeration. There are a whole bunch of issues with it (many of them seemingly small but they quickly add up) and I would basically advise anyone prone to sim sickness to steer clear. I've tried it multiple times, tested all the different comfort settings, it never fails to ruin my brain. He's right to say there is an obvious difference between built-for-VR and VR-retrofit.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 29, 2017