Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can I use the PS Gold headset wirelessly with the Vive? has a little usb bluetooth dongle that plugs into the PC. Or do I need to use the 3.5mm jack and connect directly to the headset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Hey man just wanted to say this is actually a good and well done OP!

My only nitpick (and what is a vr thread without nit picking):

no. bad knifegrab. bad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, turnaround time on the Vive is really good. Mine should arrive by Thursday based on the shipping e-mail I just got.

So they're doing like two-week turnaround from purchase to arrival assuming it actually shows up at that time. Not too shabby at all.

posts like this make steam come out of my ears. there appear to be significant issues with Canada. can't even place a new order from this country at the moment.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my vive got here finally today, just spent about the last 7 hours straight in vr. brief comments -

1. I`m very sweaty
2. the little baby things in hordez can get hosed, most terrifying enemy in anything ever. christ they scare me. if you don`t literally shriek the first time you look down and see them skittering at you you`re a much braver person than I.
3. I may have slightly fractured my right wrist jumping to try and catch a stray balloon within 15 minutes of putting the thing on. thankfully nothing important (the controller) was hurt
4. audioshield is the tops so far. disagree 100% with ppl who say it doesn`t match the song, anything with a decent beat and you`re golden.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 31, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh, 5, this thing is everything I could have possibly hoped it would be. the sense of being somewhere else is uncanny. also I guess I have great vr legs because an hour of windlands did nothing to me except give me wooshy stomach and leg sensations and make my feet itchy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
more first day vive trip reporting

Watching my non-gamer girlfriend play Job Sim last night was the most adorable thing. All we've done so far is the clerk job, but she was a complete contrast to me. I was throwing things at people, being generally dissatisfied with the robot customers' behaviour, overcharging people, and essentially making a mess of the place. I finished the module (in the 'large' room formation) buried up to my knees in poo poo.

On the other hand, when she was playing (without having seen me), her main goal seemed to be doing a good job and making people happy. She made sure to charge everyone for exactly what they had bought - the couple times she screwed up she tried to make it right in other ways (like the rich guy who wanted 'anything', she had accidentally rung through something before he came in, and the last customer had taken it for free. so she gave the rich guy a beef jerky but was sure to scan it at regular and then jumbo size it on the house). She took a lot of gratification out of getting the tickets into the recycling bins across the room, and when she was robbed she made sure to adjust the camera angle on the security video so it captured the bandit.

her only concession to the dark side was her collection of spite hotdogs. if someone was a jerk or an idiot and only if their request allowed for it (give me a hotdog! or give me something for free, etc), they got a burned spite hotdog. (handed to them politely)

this is all even after I told her there was no grading at all and she wouldn't be judged at the end

vr is amazing and really puts you there, with just the smallest suspension of disbelief, is basically what I'm getting at

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

:3:

Yeah I love how fast you just start playing along with the virtual world. Playing Job Sim I pretty quickly got "in character", I was more of a jerk like you than a super nice person like your GF, but I did some little touches. Like whenever somebody took an order, I would actually say "Thanks, come again!" and then wave at them with the remotes/hands.

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who got into it like that. When the lady wanted lottery tickets without a beat I muttered under my breath 'yeah makes sense you look like a moron'.

Most immersed I've been in a game ever pretty much.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
god drat it I keep setting my controllers down on imaginary counters in job sim

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

huge for us too - whatever trickery they used to make the lab look so good and run so well, I want everyone to be using it going forward

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Use the lanyards. I know we've been trained from Wii and other things to ignore lanyards because they're dumb and goofy, but with VR controllers they're important.

For whatever reason, playing in VR makes my palms really sweaty, I have to constantly drop the controllers and wipe them off. But with the lanyards I just let go and they dangle for a second, no biggie.

Oh yeah no I do, which is why I allow my mind to sort of 'get into it' that much as it were. I really enjoy trying to put myself into these realities as much as I possibly can - it's like playing imaginary games like a kid but technology-assisted

This lead to a great moment last night in the new wizard game thing when you go into the second crystal ball. without giving what happens away I picked up a weapon and shield and strode to meet the sound bravely, sticking my chest out as far as it would go. threw my shield away defiantly and went into a two handed low sword stance just before it was revealed what was coming into the room. lol.

edit: by the way. holoball. oh my god. oh my god, holoball. love it.

really need to get better lanyards asap though for that game only, the speed I'm swinging those things if I do ever slip they're gonna fly.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
can we just go back to one VR thread, it makes no sense for there to be two just so there's one for knifegrab to act like a child in. there's been lots of civil anti-oculus discussion in this thread so the other thread literally just exists for him at this point.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
waltz of the wizard is the new wizard game, it's a free 'experience' you can waste half an hour in. as I mentioned it's worth your time just for the levitation power which is SO COOL.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My inner child hopes against hope for the day Valve says 'oh hey half life 3, it's out, go download it, oh and it's vr'

but no it'll never happen. it honestly frustrates me so much and I don't get frustrated by anything else in the games industry. why not just admit that you're not working on it anymore?!? it must be super annoying being asked about it all the time, so just fuckin put it to bed already

edit: holoball? holoball. is good. holoball!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here's hoping my steam friends list isn't putting two and two together when they see me playing virtual desktop then something else five minutes later.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

You guys know that white noise/snow you get on old school televisions when turned to a channel that you don't get? How cool would it be to have a VR experience of that, where that is all you see and hear. As a musician, I know I hear music in my head when all I can here is white noise, I wonder if visual artists see things in it as well. I know this sounds weird but whatever.

sounds like a great way to give someone a seizure

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

That and/or make it sensitive to movement speed, calculating when it would need to warn you so you'd actually have time to react.

Pretty sure it already does this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

The wobbly is when it's lost external tracking and is going on internal gyros alone. The rift tracking method is headset gyros and then constantly correcting for drift using the external camera, so it's going in and out which happens at max range or if it can't see 3 tracking LEDs.

My stand is in the corner and tracking is fine to the end of the cable. That means when the touch controller comes out, and you have stands in opposite corners, both will track around 3m^2 and you could have a room double that if can deal with temporary occlusion if you either buy a longer headset cable or put your PC in the center of the room somehow.

wait so touch roomscale will be 3x3m max? I look forward to hearing this from knifegrab for the next forever

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone want to meet me in altspace and reenact the last scene of reservoir dogs for ppl

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love holoball it's sublime

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

Surprisingly with all this anger, there aren't really any :filez: for exclusives; only stuff ripped from the steam store.

I'm sad that they removed the hundreds of tech demos / concepts from the store. Don't want any half-baked stuff on there I guess!

there are files for the ones that don't use denuovo. all oculus exclusive releases have used denuovo since revive became a thing.

edit: the licensing costs for which must be astronomical when compared to total sales.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 14, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I dunno what 3DM is, but it's steam making cracking games obsolete, not better DRM. There's just no motivation anymore. Steam is absolutely exploding in historical "pirate" countries. For example, Russia: http://steamspy.com/country/RU

Why bother cracking something if your main audience is gone?

I'm sure if there was still motivation to crack games, they'd still get cracked in days, maaaybe weeks. There's what, a dozen people working on Denuvo DRM? There's a million nerds out there who will try to crack your game if there's enough demand. Just due to the fact that every software has bugs, "working DRM" can't exist. Yeah, Denuvo is good, sure, but it's not infallible any more than any other DRM. If I buy something and can get it to run on my machine, I can dump a working unencrypted copy somewhere. We might have even come to the point where I'll need actual external hardware to do MITM between the CPU and RAM or some poo poo, sure, but there will always be a way.

I was about to write up a spergpost re this but I'll just say this is super incorrect on many levels just fyi

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

Ordered a Rift on May 11th, turns out it's on its way now - originally they predicted August shipping date. Guess they're really catching up now. Of course, the emails telling me this went into my spam folder so I only found out because my bank contacted me to tell me I was overdrawn on my current account :facepalm:

it is very difficult and expensive to ramp up production timelines, especially if you don't have an existing manufacturing infrastructure like oculus. so I'm guessing this is a direct result of order cancellations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Abu Dave posted:

That sucks. I might wait then, it was so awesome but that kind of killed it for me.

for what its worth 99% of people report that once you are actually playing and out of serious comparison mode you totally forget about the lack of peripheral

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Interestingly, this boundary wasn’t actually just a line; it appeared as a piece of barbed wire, fitting with Dead & Buried’s Western aesthetic. This suggests of course that developers may have the ability to style the Oculus boundary system to suit their game. Chaperone on the HTC Vive, on the other hand, can be customized by the user, but I haven’t ever seen it styled on a developer controlled, per-application basis.

not a good idea

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Or in Skyrims case you just slash and get no feedback on contact and it feels awful and weightless?

... so skyrim then?

;)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol literally four posts down you buffoon

VideoGames posted:

Yes. Palmer Lucky is definitely a valid talking point here because he is intimately related to VR.

edit: VVV you realize you're one of the ones fanning the flame of discussion here though right? people don't post 10 pages in a day unless they have someone to argue with

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 24, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
once in bigscreen I changed the screen scale and position so that I was somehow tiny and stuck inside the couch in the living room/apartment environment, and couldn't get out. it was eerily similar to a salvia trip i had once.

edit: speaking of drugs and vr, has anyone tried a hallucinogen with their headset? I sort of suspect I would feel claustrophobic and would just feel like there's a screen two inches from my face rather than it being anything immersive or interesting, but it might be cool. I did play a bunch of SPT while doing lines of coke the other day and let me tell you that poo poo is incredibly, incredibly fun.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 29, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The new vertigo demo has some monkey bar and ladder traversal and they both feel great.

As far as vr unique genres driven by movement I've been saying for ages that there is a ton of potential for wheelchair sims. Imagine a survival horror game where you wheel around with a shotgun in your lap, or a wheelchair basketball game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

I played a few hours of Obduction last night and I'm really enjoying it. I think there's a lot to be said for the art direction and fleshing out a world; this and Chronos have done a really good job giving the feeling you're in a real place.

Kind of wish you could grab levers and stuff with controllers, plus the height is off if you stand and I haven't bothered fiddling with the settings to get that to work so I can turn around instead of using the snap turning.

they just announced official vive support with motion control and roomscale so I shall be waiting on that

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Oh snap that makes me very excited, I've been kind of dying for content, my Vive has been collecting dust.

did you see that starbreeze is making a full length john wick vr game?? i didn't know that was my dream game but now it is and I want it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Haven't seen it but I know the Inception effect would be a scary concern for VR, never knowing if you've truly returned to reality until you die.

It's also a hot topic for the animes and mangas.

lol all you need to do is pour acid on your face bro

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

The ReVive guy removed the hardware check from Google Earth so it works with the Rift
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

aw c'mon man knifegrab was just about to come

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol holy christ doom 3 is terrifying in vr. i jumped right into the alpha labs levels and was a-ok until it actually got dark. the sound design is impeccable and just adds to the poo poo your pants horror.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahaha never thought I'd be one of the fools this would happen to. I am in the process of moving and had our bedroom totally cleared out. 4x4.5m of space. obviously set it up for VR. Raw Data was so much fun as I was running around, flanking dudes and getting back attacks left and right.

now, I am used to my smaller space, where I know that a full overhead swing won't hit anything if my feet are on the ground. unfortunately just a few feet away from that, and well in my new play area, is a light fixture. well I should say was a light fixture. one very enthusiastic overhead sword swing later and I showered myself, my watching gf and my friend with glass. went right through the fixture and smashed the bulb in half too. was lucky not to cut my hand worse than I did, just a bit of blood and the controller was fine.

so keep in mind, if you ever change/expand your play area, you need to refamilarize yourself with what's dangerous and what's not, especially if you are used to certain motions being 100% ok in your previous play area.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
google "valve upcoming vr content"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my girlfriend didn't even like the lighthouses until I convinced her they *definitely* weren't cameras. She wouldn't be cool with always on cameras produced by facebook and honestly I'm not really sure I could argue with her on that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

The cameras have an opaque piece of plastic on them and only see infrared light.

oh yeah I know it wouldn't really be a substantiated fear but I still wouldn't blame her for it just on the basis of camera plus facebook. Unlike with the lighthouses where I had to walk her through how the technology works before she was cool with leaving them plugged in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

How you *think* it works. :tinfoil:

if you do enough mushrooms you can see the lasers :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Vertigo comes out tomorrow and should be amazing. First full length narrative driven VR game. Really cool mechanics and art direction. only FIFTEEN DOLLARS yes it does seem too good to be true but I'll be buying it and will report back