Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Need some truck sim reviews up there.

Edit: Link to the truck sim thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915

TomR fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Did they ever make it so you can just do VR from the main game without having to choose a beta build?

Pretty sure you need to use a beta build and set launch options. But they are much more compelling in VR as the act of driving with a wheel and an HMD feels very natural.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
There is a good chance that Rift and Vive hardware will be supported in games for a long time, even if new hardware comes out. So long as VR games keep coming, which seems like a given now.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
All PSVR has to do is show there is profit to be had in VR and it will all snowball from there.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

The stories on reddit have not been good. Sounds like it's a long process of convincing support that it's actually broken, then an RMA. Apparantly they won't repair, only replace, and replacements aren't going to be sent until current orders have been fulfilled - so September now.

That's pretty brutal.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think they sold over 200,000 DK2s. Someone will find a way to keep them alive.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Currently they only support the latest runtime because there is no reason not to. Assuming Oculus drops support we'll either need SteamVR to support an old Oculus runtime, which they may or may not do, or we'll need a 3rd party driver, which hasn't been made yet because there isn't any reason to do that yet.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They may block it from Home but not from the runtime so it would still work with 3rd party programs. Who knows.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Does the Vive support more than two lighthouses?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Right. I was watching that video of the guy playing with touch in roomscale and he says there is a deadzone in the corner when he blocks the cameras with his body. That could be fixed with another camera, which I'm pretty sure the Oculus runtime supports. I haven't seen anyone try with more than two cameras though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They should announce touch and during the announcement tell everyone that touches are already in transit to those who bought a Rift.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Don't worry Cojawfee Facebook knows where you live. :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I remember that hang glider thing, that was awesome. You had to turn the settings down with some voodoo because it didn't have a menu or anything but I got it to run on my GTX 660 before I got my GTX 970.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I almost don't care at all about exclusives, but going around buying up other games just to lock them to your platform isn't a nice thing to do. Consoles do that and we all know console gamers are the worst. Still though I'm not going to knock the hardware/drivers software for what the parent company is doing. If you didn't use hardware because of scummy business practices we'd all be banging rocks together because intel is the worst and lol if you use an AMD cpu.

That is to say don't ever buy anything on Oculus home.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Any reviewer got their hands on an OSVR 2.0 yet?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
In Elite you are literally moving faster than the speed of light by a factor of 100 to 1000 fairly regularly and of course you will never ever get that in real life. There was a game demo/research thing that modeled the effects of moving faster than light and it just looks crazy and doesn't help gameplay at all so I can see why they would leave that out.

This thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbxzsqzF7k

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
What is it with big companies and DRM? Like, you know this poo poo doesn't work, why you keep trying?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You can get PS move controllers working with Steam VR apparently.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I dunno about that, but I do know there are 3rd party softwares to get the moves working. I don't know how good it is though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
HDK2 looks pretty good, if the game you want to play is a cockpit game and has SteamVR support, or OSVR support built in. I like the lens adjustments and I want to know more about the lenses. I think the guy was saying it's a 2 element lens design and that opens up a lot of possibilities.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Sounds a lot like the xbox deals where they only had to make sure the game came out on xbox first. A bunch of what he says there makes sense. I want to make VR stuff but the market is really really small, even for me. Of course that doesn't mean everything is true or somehow not a lovely thing to do.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They should make it so you can launch non home games from home and then people would use it more. A bit of refinement and the Oculus software would be pretty good.

They need to come up with a VR keyboard of some kind so you can do text input with your headset on but not sitting at your desk.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
#cool #4sensors

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
We know it works with 2 about the same as a Vive but with a smaller distance between them so you get a bit less space, but you still end up with blind spots in some corners. Having more just gets rid of that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I got a consumer Rift from a game dev with extras so development of horse VR is back on. After I'm done the Awful Jam anyway.

I'd gotten used to my DK2 and the Rift is better in a lot of ways but the stand out thing is the headphones, they sound really good and it's so nice to not have extra wires. My wife was blown away though, the single screen in the DK2 gave her a headache after 5 minutes but she used the Rift for a while and didn't have any problems.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, it wasn't standard until probably 1998, and even then you had people playing all kinds of hosed up ways because they didn't like WASD + mouse.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Elite is so great that people hacked in a way to watch tv inside the video game because otherwise it's too boring

Personally I don't understand the people that do this. If I'm playing a game and I'm bored enough to want to watch TV at the same time I'll just stop playing the game and go watch TV. I play Elite and the only thing I miss in VR is being able to look at 3rd party websites on my second monitor when I need to know something.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Not just that, you have to always have 90fps. 90fps most of the time isn't good enough. Also the headset position data is updated and the frame adjusted right before it's sent to the displays, so the frames aren't buffered the same as a 2D display.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

AndrewP posted:

is this actually ever going to happen?

I think we have to wait for engines like UE4 to implement it and then wait for new games built on the latest version of the engine, or for game devs to put out a patch where they moved the game to the latest version of the engine, which isn't very common.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Suppose it depends on what the next screen resolutions and frame rates are. PC games in general are past the point where you *need* top end hardware to play the latest games, just need to turn the settings down. VR will probably get there in a generation or two I would think. Art direction has more to do with how good a game looks than raw power does anymore most of the time anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I thought of another reason why VR rendering is more demanding than normal games. Depending on your game and settings you choose the FOV is probably wider in VR, which generally means more objects on screen being drawn.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It also has to do with how close the lenses get to your eyes. Something could have been setup wrong somewhere for the guy or something. Maybe his head is shaped better for one over the other. Also people probably remember stuff like that all wrong anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Is it too much to ask for someone to read the manual anymore?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oculus the company wasn't ready to ship the Rift, but the Rift hardware and Software were. Vive hardware was a little unpolished and the software was a total mess at launch. Also the time from HTC saying "We are going to make a VR headset" to the day it shipped was much shorter than Oculus and the Rift, so by most measures yeah, the Vive was the rushed of the two. Doesn't stop the Vive from shipping as a more complete package overall though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I am also looking forward to touch coming out, mostly because a bunch of games are coming at the same time. Also I want to try the 3d modeling tools in VR.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
People already get up and walk around in seated games, it won't be a big deal.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
So now what, Facebook saves Oculus from Palmer Luckey? What a mixed up world.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Are the Vive wands or Touch controllers tracked well enough to act as joystick inputs if you attach them to the end of a stick that has the other end anchored like a joystick? The base would have to be mounted in place so it can't move so the zero point would be accurate, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I like MW2:Mercs for the salvage. It also had textures on the mechs for a little more detail, but yeah, that could be really easy to do in VR right now and I'm amazed no one has made a super simple mech game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think it would be okay if you could see lots of cockpit, but maybe not. You'd probably feel sick if you drove a big stompy mech in real life anyway so it's just part of the experience if you get sick in VR.