Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I took the plunge and got an Oculus Rift, mostly for flight-sim-type games like Elite. I've got it working in general (Robo Recall is excellent) but I'm having issues getting Elite to load. I've already downloaded the Oculus version of Elite, so it's not that.

I'm running a Geforce 1060, and it only has one HDMI port, so I've got the Oculus plugged into that, and my monitor plugged into the HDMI port on my motherboard. When I load Elite from the Oculus library, I just see "Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe is taking a long time to load" basically forever - I've given it like half an hour to load and it just sits there. I hear the Elite menu music playing, so it's definitely up to something. Task manager says it's using GPU0, which is the same one as things like Chrome are using, so I'm thinking Elite's gotta be trying the motherboard's onboard graphics. I've tried unplugging the monitor before running Elite, and I get the same issue.

I've got a cable coming for my monitor that should let it plug into one of the DisplayPort ports on the graphics card which might cajole Elite into running on my actual graphics card or maybe allow me to disable the motherboard graphics entirely - anyone got any ideas for the few days before that arrives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

If you take the headset off, is Elite running on your monitor? If so, head into the graphics settings and switch it over to VR mode.

Sort of. I have a blank screen with the server IP in the bottom left and a mouse cursor. It doesn't respond to anything so I can't get into the graphics settings.

I can load Elite if I plug the monitor into the HDMI port on the graphics card, but that requires me to unplug the Oculus, at which point there's no VR mode in the graphics settings.

It's kinda mad that a monitor and graphics card bought within a year of each other with nine ports of five different types between them share exactly ONE port in common.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

I just reread your initial post, and realized the problem: both monitor and headset need to be plugged into your GPU. So yeah, switch your monitor over to DisplayPort once your cable arrives and that should fix the issue.

Weird that it's this way for Elite but the other half-dozen VR applications I've tried so far work around it just fine. And if I unplug the monitor entirely and ONLY have the Oculus plugged in it still presumably tries to use the motherboard GPU for Elite.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My monitor has a VGA port so a VGA port on the graphics card would actually be useful. The card's got 1 HDMI, 3 DisplayPort, and a DVI.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Paingod556 posted:

So me and my mates tried PayDay 2 again, now that 3 of us have VR. After some awkwardness relearning how to do things, and some bugs with some weapons not shooting, it was a good loving time.

Mostly because they finally allowed you to use grenade launchers and machineguns. Mowing diwn cops with the Minigun never gets old :v:

How is Payday 2 in VR compared to... not? I'm presuming way more immersive and a lot harder?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So what's the difference between VR and Mixed Reality?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What was the issue with the scopes in Fallout 4?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anything I need to know before playing the VR version of Fallout 4? I've played the normal game so I'm aware of the base game's strengths and weaknesses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Whoo, I wish I'd realised that Fallout 4 VR doesn't support the Oculus Rift and I'd have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the controls to mostly work... before I bought it.

Ah well, it's still pretty rad even with the rickety setup I've ended up with.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Eh, already past the two hour limit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Is fallout/doom vr as disappointing as I keep hearing? It seems like those are really still the only two BIG AAA vr games but they don't seem... Good for vr?

Fallout 4 only officially supports Vive. You can get it to kind of work with a ton of effort and third party programs through Rift, but I wouldn't buy the game for Rift.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'll throw myself in as a Rift user who buys stuff off both Steam and Oculus. I prefer Steam as it's what I'm used to, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Danith posted:

I've been playing on the PSVR and bow is way overpowered. You can fire arrows as fast as you can knock them, it's insane.

Is it the most fun way to play?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I was perplexed for a full five minutes attempting to reload the machine gun in Pavlov

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Unormal posted:

Skyrim VR is .... good?

I wish wearing the helmets wasn't like sticking your head up to your nose into a rhino's hot, puckered rear end in a top hat.

I do hope VR helmet comfort in general gets better. The foam around the edge of the Rift display rubs a little bit painfully, it collects hairs that then tickle your nose, and so on. It'd be nice to get the displays to ski-goggles level of comfort in the next generation or two, but it's tolerable for now. I'm just glad I don't have to cram a pair of glasses under there as well (or shell out for inserts).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Biggest thing I learned was to press the face buttons to loot items instead of the trigger. I wound up eating and drinking everything immediately because the triggers are used for equipping left/right.

Oh yeah. I'm also missing hotkeys - switching weapons by the favourites menu is okay, but I really liked being able to bind stuff to the number keys and easily switch that way.

For anyone else wondering about how you block with a weapon like I just was, you gotta hold it horizontally.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It is kinda incredible how much better Skyrim VR is than the horrible jalopy that is Fallout 4 on Rift.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

nickhimself posted:

I went into the Skyrim ini file to turn off the directional wand movement and saw that archery was set to realistic. I don't know if that was on by default or not, but what is the difference between that being on and off?

I think it means that both hands affect where the bow is aiming, while without the setting turned on the hand drawing the bowstring back has no effect on it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm not going to mod Skyrim VR because I know if I do I'll spend all my time modding it and none of my time playing it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's not just that it's on the right grip, it's that it triggers on such a light touch of the right grip.

I've been going archer and just got the "slow time when you aim" power and the game just got much easier. gently caress the weightless NPCs who can go from moving 100% left to moving 100% right instantaneously the moment your arrow leaves the bow, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm pretty resilient to VR-wooziness, but smooth turning in Skyrim is pretty tough to deal with for me. Smooth movement is fine, but smooth turning with the thumbstick (on Rift) is really bad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nalin posted:

If you use Skyrim VR mods, use the Vortex alpha as your mod manager. It uses NTFS junctions to link your mods so testing out combinations of things is suuuper quick, which is handy in VR as you want to be experimenting and disabling things that affect your framerate too hard. I should probably just create a "how to mod Skyrim VR" post to help people out.

Here is a good base set of Skyrim mods I'm using. These are things I think everyone would benefit having:

HRTF 3D positional audio - Skyrim doesn't have 3D positional audio. What the gently caress. Manually download and extract into the folder where SkyrimVR.exe lives. Both x3daudio1_7.dll and SkyrimVR.exe should be in the same directory, along with a new "hrtf" folder.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - Bug fixes. You should use this. Bethesda games are buggy and anything to help prevent bugs should be used.
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul - Improves AI behaviors and makes NPCs more life-like.
HD Road Signs 2K Version - Being able to actually read signs in VR is pretty nice. 2K works fine, no need to waste VRAM on 4K.
Optimized Texture for SSE - Changes the compression format on textures to not waste VRAM. Many textures were saved wrong and waste space. This gives you more VRAM room for other texture mods.
Mortal Enemies SE - I'm using the test 2.0 version. It makes melee combat more immersive by making it so enemies can't just lock onto you and instantly spin around to always face you. Immersion is a pretty nice goal for VR.

From there, you can start adding some mesh and texture improvements as your GPU allows:

SMIM SE - Higher poly meshes. Not much else to say.
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE - Improve flora. An alternative is the 3D Trees and 3D Plants mods, but those have a pretty big FPS hit, so you might find this mod to be better for VR. This might require a beefier GPU or some tweaking, just FYI. I haven't quite finished experimenting with this one; I just wanted to include it as a higher performance alternative to 3D Trees.
Realistic Water Two - Better water. Don't forget the LOD fix.
Obsidian Weathers - Nice weather effects.
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition - Better clothing textures.
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Lots of audio improvements. I'm running the version with less reverb. The example video was just crazy with reverb.
WICO Special Edition - Character improvement mod. There are three versions. One uses the vanilla body and the other two use the UNP body (nude and non-nude, don't twitch stream the nude version you idiots).

I've also been trying out some other things like snow replacement mods, blended roads, majestic mountains, etc, but I'm not confident enough to say what works best with what things. And they often cause conflicts so I want to be more certain of what works best before recommending any of them.

So I'm following this list, and I've got "unsolved file conflicts" between a few of these mods. Is there a specific method for resolving this, or does it not matter?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OK, guess I'll put the most "general" mods first, then the specific stuff next. So optimised textures, then the SMIM stuff, then all the specific body/signs/clothes stuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I will say, having spent an hour or so setting up that list of graphical and auditory mods, I still ended up taking screenshots to see if the game looked better with mods on or off. Came to the conclusion that modded looks better than unmodded, but it's marginal.

Interesting that now the game is modded, the little flags on the war map have vanished, too, whether I have the mods enabled or not.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 17, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Picked up a Deluxe Audio Strap, and I wonder just how much more comfortable this thing really could b-

Oh.

Okay :stwoon:.

I've got a Rift, explain what this holy grail of Vive users is and why it's so good

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Thanks a lot. People talk about playing with the ini but never post what to play with, this is very helpful.

Also apparently I'm getting motion sickness from playing VR Skyrim with the free walking and turning options. Sucks. I don't get that with any other app with free movement. I'll have to stick to teleporting.

I found free movement tolerable, but free turning intolerable. Maybe try stepped turning first - teleporting looked annoying for fine movement like when you want to stand in front of a table and pick something up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I admit grudging interest in your MMO and will give it a shot

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I gave orbus a try. I could write a lot of words about it. I will say my first 10 minutes were pretty poor due to the config and difficulty of grabbing/selecting things and the general menu/configuration layout. It mostly can be summed up by "It's definitely not for me, and also really needs some polish".

Yeah, likewise. I opened the game and was immediately confronted by an extremely ugly Nintendo Mii representing my character. I then had all the fun of attempting to fill out username and password forms in VR - for some reason the forms spawned inside my torso so I had to do this while looking directly down. I play on Rift in a pretty cramped office/bedroom, so this is not a problem I've only had in Orbus, but it would have been much reduced if those forms spawned further forward, or if I could have moved to make them more accessible.

Then I got dumped into an area of inky blackness and watched a series of images through a faraway window while a Fantasy Old Guy reeled off a screed about bad magic while unironically using the word "thou" a lot. Then I was dropped into The Starter Area next to Tutorial NPC Guy, and given exciting quests like "dig up three plants", "nearly die to this tutorial enemy" and suchlike. Movement was extremely weird until I was able to dig into the configuration settings for it - like by default there is no way to turn except by physically rotating your body. I was able to set it up the way I like it (SkyrimVR style with smooth movement and snap turning) but ideally I should've been able to do that before becoming a bit confused. Fighting the tutorial enemy felt very weak, like I had to shoot it about ten times with a musket. If I was reading the health meters correctly he actually would have killed me first, but the game took pity and he died while still on like 25% health.

That's where I left it. So, my suggestions to the Orbus team:

* Focus on improving those graphics for the players and human NPCs. The Mii-look is not a good one, and it's the first thing you see when you load the game.
* Allow players to set up their movement controls before they even log in, and force them to make those choices at the start of the game.
* Make combat a lot more punchy. I was presumably fighting a level 1 enemy in the tutorial - let me two or three-shot that sucker, maybe spawn a couple more. My attacks should feel impactful.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the deal with Soundboxing? I load the game, and a bunch of options are in front of me, but the actual game is behind me, over my right shoulder. Is there any way to re-centre the game so the game is in front of me? I'm on Rift and my sensors are on the desk in front of me - if I try just turning 135 degrees to my right then my body blocks one of them and my right hand stops working ingame.

PS: I am bad at finding VR options

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It comes with the non-VR version so probably play that a few times to get the basics down first.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fallout 4 is so much better now it's not a cobbled-together mess of mods.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is he... asking us to review his VR game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fano posted:

I really appreciate all the recommendations, most of this stuff is wishlisted until next paycheck, but I can't wait to try it all out.

I learned that scoring on beat saber for each block not only consist of how on-beat you slash each cube, but also on how fast/powerful your slice is, which is a great way of motivating players to actually swing instead of just lazily flicking their wrists, playing this game for score is tiring, but so incredibly fun.

How does this work, exactly?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fano posted:

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I play rhythm games regularly and was noticing that even though I was slicing the cubes on beat, each cube would give me only 60-70 points, with the occasional 100+.

A reddit thread on /r/beatsaber mentioned that the speed of your slice factors into your score, which coincided with my experience, I haven't gone back to actually verify this, but I imagine that if this is true then slicing each cube more forcefully would yield 100+ points for each cube more reliably, leading to a higher score.

Thing is, just flicking your wrist at it probably makes the saber move faster much more efficiently than putting lots of force into the swing. I was wondering if they measure movement of the tip of the saber as well as the handle to make sure you're actually moving the handle through space, rather than just rotating it in place, for example.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

On that note, I can't even tell if the stamina actually has any effect in Skyrim VR. All combat encounters kind of seem hilariously easy when you can control the speed of your sword swings and parries.

Yeah, stamina seems to slow your movement when you're out of it.

I'd say that if your combat is a bit janky you're much better off making it janky and easy rather than janky and impossibly hard. I've kind of grown to love Skyrim's jank - stuff like the first ten arrows causing your enemy to flinch a centimeter as they hit home, then the eleventh arrow lifts them off their feet and six miles down a mountainside as they lose all inertia and weight. It's like life itself has mass and when someone is killed their corpse has the flight characteristics of an aerodynamic helium balloon.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 24, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Elite's simultaneously great and lovely in VR. Flying is amazing, but plotting routes and taking the headset off to look at one of the million websites required to play the game effectively are really bad, as is doing stuff like flipping the mission board over and over.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

This is when dash really comes in handy. Having a couple reference sites pinned around your cockpit along with discord and netflix makes it almost like you're not even doing boring stuff with a box on your head :v:.

Did they ever get a good way to type destination system names into the navigation interface? I always ended up squinting at my keyboard at the tiny bit of real-world visible down by my nose when I played on Rift.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I have a VR setup that I play Beat Saber and stuff like Fallout 4 on, and I've only got like a couple of spare feet behind my desk. I'm envious of my buddy who has an entire room just for VR, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So why's Budget Cuts good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Are you guys talking about this thing? Is it much more comfortable than the default foam?