Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I bit the bullet and ordered a Vive since it seems to be at a point where you can get one without too much of a wait. What kind of shipping company do they use and is it possible to set a place to pick it up instead of having it delivered to my house? My work schedule is kinda hectic lately and I may not be able to be home for the delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well dang.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nosthula posted:

It looks like there is no back orders on Vives anymore. I ordered my Vive Wednesday night and it left the Fedex origin facility Thursday evening. It is currently at my local fedex facility and is expected to arrive at my house tomorrow. If it does arrive as expected that is 5 total days from order to delivery.

Yeah, I ordered mine last Friday and it shipped this morning with delivery scheduled Wednesday. Hopefully it won't show up until the afternoon so I'll be home for it.

Jeez, I still need to re-arrange this room and put trash bags blackout curtains over my window.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bhodi posted:

Do you guys still get fantastic contraption and tiltbrush free if you order today, or was that just for preorders?

I want to play with them but they're both really expensive for a 'mayyyyybe this will work with leap' risk. I know I could 'return' them but I don't really want to do that, and I figure there will be discounts/sales on them eventually.

I got them and Job Sim for free.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

sliderule posted:

Waiting for the obligatory VR Rez reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEuL3nZz9_w

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

sliderule posted:

A PS exclusive?!?! N... no! :negative:

e: Any word on Trance Vibrator support? I'm asking for a friend.

Look up "rez vr suit" and despair in the knowledge you will probably never get to wear it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hierophant posted:

Facebook can't keep buying exclusives forever when the total HMD market is only 100k-ish. Plus I don't think exclusives really factor that much into purchasing decisions unless they're really important exclusives like Halo or Bloodborne. Nobody is buying an Oculus just to play Chronos. Plus Vive seems to be winning the publicity war: do a YouTube search for videos within the last week or month on both Oculus and Vive and compare the view counts, or do a google trends search and compare their trajectories. The steam hardware survey reports three times as many users with Vives as Oculus CV1s, and even if you include the DK2s there are still twice as many Vives as CV1s + DK2s. That's twice as many Knifegrabs as the Oculus equivalent of Knifegrabs, and they aren't going to easily switch sides.

Helps you can actually buy a Vive and receive it in a timely fashion.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got my Vive set up without much fuss but I can tell already I'm gonna drive myself half-mad tweaking all the fiddly parts to find the perfect room coverage with the sensors and the perfect fit of the headset. I still need to cover my windows so controller tracking can be a bit wonky sometimes, especially down near the floor when I was petting the robot dog thing in The Lab. The picture clarity was mostly good but would annoyingly go out of focus every time my facial muscles moved at all (smiling, for instance).

One things for certain is it's given me a taste for >60fps so I'll probably be buying a 1070/1080 and a 144hz monitor pretty soon.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think the most immersive/impressive experience I've tried so far is The FOO Show. It genuinely felt like I was sitting among three dudes talking about and loving around in the game world they made. It was also super-uncomfortable (in a neat way) when one of them would move up in my personal space. I can't wait for more episodes.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Any good sites doing roundups of all the VR games being shown at E3? Only ones I know about so far are Spaceteam: Star Trek Edition and that motocross game with the stupid trailer.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

EdEddnEddy posted:

I still wish for a Black & White Remake for VR. You already had the hand control and gestures to do stuff. To be able to do them with actual hands and gestures would be amazing. Something Peter would actually be proud of since then.

Dungeon Keeper would also be really good in VR.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Icedude posted:

While I'm sitting here waiting for the courier to come pick up one of my Vive controllers, have you guys got any suggestions for games that only need one controller?

Cloudlands if mini golf holds any appeal to you.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just played it on high (which recommended 2x1080's) with my 1080 and it's alright. It looks nice and sharp while running super smooth but nothing about what I saw seemed especially demanding. It was fun holding a controller down near my crotch so it looked like I was ejaculating green slime into a clown's mouth.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

StarkRavingMad posted:

Palmer Luckey is an idiot manchild and I'm not surprised he chose to support the dumbest possible candidate in the stupidest way. I seriously doubt he gave it any thought beyond "LOL MEMES ARE FUNNY."

That, to me, make his actions more inexcusable than any political leanings he may have.

Paying for Internet memes, Jesus christ...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I ate at Taco Bell a couple times the past couple weeks for codes to win a PSVR bundle and that's about what I'm willing to pay.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The kickstarter for the first season of The FOO Show seems to have stagnated in recent days after a promising start. I hope they make it because the free episode they put up a while ago was neat.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Happy to see The FOO Show reached its Kickstarter goal. Can't wait for that first new episode.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bullfrog posted:

Arizona Sunshine is a little mixed for me. The teleport locomotion is awkward, and I'm currently completely stuck on this one horde scene which is more frustrating than fun.

I was looking forward to trying it tonight but gently caress this headache that won't go away. What's the enemy variety like?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Arizona Sunshine needs some more work. Grabbing things is very awkward and aiming feels off compared to games like Brookhaven.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cojawfee posted:

The oculus version of Rec Room seems to force you to do forward facing stuff. Whenever I turn around, it fades everything until I turn back the right way. I couldn't find any obvious way to turn it off. Paintball was kind of fun. Then three people ganged up on one person in the locker room because she was a girl and had a girl voice. Then I logged off.

I was wondering why it was so easy to get behind people in paintball earlier. I felt so badass tagging an entire team in three seconds, too. :(

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

For you guys wondering what's the best face lining/cushion for your Vive the answer is:

An old dish rag.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fooz posted:

Rec Room was actually a bit socially intimidating for me when talking to strangers IRL generally isn't. Speaking was anyways, I didn't feel the need to leave but I didn't want to speak. Something about broadcasting my conversational voice weirds me out, but I never played much voicechat gaming. I guess it reminds me of the trauma of hearing your own voice in someone's candid video.

I'm mostly just really self-conscious about my breathing because there's almost always one guy in a game breathing way too loud.

But you see some amazing stuff in that game. One time while playing dodgeball one of the players audibly banged their face on a wall or something and their model fell to the ground. Then you could hear a little kid cry before that player left the room. The consensus reaction from everyone in the room was "HAHAHAHA-awwwww."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

After finishing the Arizona Sunshine campaign I am so ready for that VR version of Fallout 4 or any other single-player game with some meat on it. AS is okay but it really is just the same zombies through the whole game. Wish I used my non-pistol guns more because I had about 1000 SMG rounds, 100 shotgun shells and god knows how many grenades during that last stand.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Falken posted:

Whoever makes something like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield but in VR with H3VR weapon mechanics can just shut up and take my loving money.

e: I was also thinking how nice it would be to have something that is a cross between Onward and Rec Rooms' paintball. Airsoft! Realistic looking weapons and kit, but more lighthearted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4VpcKDqwg

Or, just something like Onward, but with more players and with respawns.

I imagine Onward is the one that gets built on unless something better comes along.

Smashbox Arena is okay but I don't see myself playing a lot of it. I like guns too much. Every VR game that doesn't have guns in it would be better if it did. I'm looking at you, Climbey.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 11, 2016

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There are a few good games for VR right now without teleportation, namely Superhot VR, I expect you to die, Climbey, The Climb, Onward, Out of Ammo (which is mediocre imho) and a plethora of cockpit-based sim games. I just can't wait for Resident Evil 7 as the demo is the best thing in VR right now.

Will the PC demo have VR support? I was under the impression RE7 VR was just for PSVR at first and maybe coming to other platforms later.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just played through the first map of Serious Sam and wow is it good. Having fast, full locomotion is such a nice change of pace and backpedaling/circle-strafing is super easy and comfortable. Things only get a little weird when you move while turning and even then it's not insurmountable and I didn't feel the least bit sick. The only problem is that you move like molasses when in water, so much so that when I tried to get that health box in the pool room I made it about two feet in before I said "Nah, gently caress it" and crawled out.

The guns work like they do in the previous VR game where the pistols don't have to reload and the shotguns fire super-fast so even with just two pistols you can kill those rocket-launching brain-walker things relatively quickly. I can't wait to play this in co-op where you have a million things to shoot. I wanna play more right now but I'm worried I'll lose track of time and be late for work.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'll say this about playing Serious Sam with full movement, it really strains your calf muscles because you feel like you have to always be bracing your stance or else you'll topple over. But that just makes it all the more thrilling to play.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I was blessed with a Vive. I read the OP, but is there anything special I should know? Or just shoot me a PM so we can talk about it on steam so I can get a better idea. Thanks.

Get Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter and play it with free movement.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fooz posted:

I can imagine that's better, I'm hesitant to rest the rift or vive on my forehead even because I don't want the lenses touching my skin or hair.

That's one of the reasons I wear a lycra balaclava when I use my Vive. Also keeps all the sweat in.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are there any games yet that simulate flying by flapping your arms with the motion controllers? I was hoping Eagle Flight would work like that but it just uses a gamepad.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

AndrewP posted:

I'd probably pony up $250 if it worked flawlessly.

Ditto. Some of my favorite games right now are seriously hampered by the cord.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Get it wireless and we'll talk.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I bought and have just sent a refund request for Arizona Sunshine. That game is a dumpster fire. First off, the game does a terrible job of teaching basic mechanics, such as if there's a way to regain health. It also has automatic reloads only unless you're picking up magazines from the environment, you can't take ammo from your belt and bring it to your handgun. The game states that it features "Real-life weapon handling", but most of the actions are abstracted. Sound frequently cuts out permanently, requiring you to restart the game for gun sounds to come back. The voice actor for the main character is pretty good, but the writing is bad. There are invisible walls and the teleport system works poorly.

Those are the big issues that I think everyone ought to be able to agree on. There are also minor gripes that I have, such as the fact that you start off with the best handgun (The M1911) and your next find is a lovely little Makarov looking thing, or the fact that most cars you find will contain ammunition and that police cars contain grenades. Raw Data, a sci-fi game, paints a much more convincing world than a game that is supposedly set in America. If you have the money to buy an expensive VR game, get Superhot VR, Raw Data, Final Approach (such an overlooked gem) or The Unspoken (I'm really warming up to this one).

The best gun is late in the game which has a flashlight on the end of it and glow sights. The .44 Magnum is pretty good too since two body shots will kill a zombie if you don't feel like aiming. I liked the game well enough to play to the end and I didn't have the sound issues you did.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Poetic Justice posted:

Haha there were a couple times where I panicked and even hosed up the basic "hit button, move hand to waist" reload mechanic. I can't imagine trying to do Onward type reloads in a somewhat fast action game.

I never used grenades very much in the game for that reason, way too fiddly when you got a bunch of zombies closing in.

More realistic gun mechanics would be super great in a DayZ-style survival game, though. Rifling through cupboards and whatnot in AZ reminded me of the simple joys of scavenging in H1Z1 and how much better VR and motion controls are for that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Can either of the headsets even utilize more than one GPU yet?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

StarkRavingMad posted:

Since you're approaching the last stretch, how long do you estimate the game is?

About 3-4 hours for the campaign. It also has a multiplayer horde mode.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Knifegrab posted:

I think everyone here is really used to locomotion solutions but this needs to be stated: None of them are good. Do they work? Yes? Do they simulate movement? Sure. Do they allow for large areas to be travered and hopefully not make you sick? Mostly.

But all of that doesn't matter when it all isn't convincing. I tell you you can teleport, sure you'll get it but its not intuitive nor does it really feel natural.

The current locomotion solutions are akin to what headtracking is compared to VR. Sure headtracking (think TrackHat) gave you a sort of sense of presence, but it was peanuts compared to actual VR. That is what the locomotion problem has become, sure we can sort of get around the issue of simulating real world locomotion but they're all bandaids.

Is this even a solveable problem? I honestly don't know but I see it as the one biggest limiting factor for VR.

The only solution is a big rear end warehouse.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man when is Budget Cuts coming out. :(

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm actually holding off on playing as much as I'd like of games like Raw Data and Serious Sam: TFE because the cord is a constant source of worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just noticed Wilson's Heart was made by Twisted Pixel Studios, the people that make bad games with fun FMV sequences and quirky music. Good for them!

So I'm finally giving ReVive a shot. Anything worth looking into besides Wilson's Heart, Superhot and Robo Recall?