Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is the Rift good with seated experiences? I don't have room for roomscale and would prefer to just play sitting down.

I'm pretty much just using it for driving and flying sims and it's awesome for those. I have about 3x3 feet behind my desk before I hit a wall on 2 sides and a couch on one side so roomscale stuff is out for me, but I'm pretty much just interested in seated vehicle stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, are you serious? Are you missing SteamVR from your library?
Oh thank goodness, other people are just now reporting it on the SteamVR discussions. What are the loving odds...

Same thing here but I'm not really sure what steamvr is for anyway. All the games in my library that are compatible with the rift work fine without needing it. Is it just the steam UI in VR?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

goth smoking cloves posted:

Has anybody here purchased their bundle from Best Buy? I can't seem to find a redemption code for Eve: Valkyrie on my receipt.

I bought mine online for pickup at my local bestbuy and it emailed me the code.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tom Guycot posted:

So, with all the people picking up rifts with this sale, and wondering if they need 3 sensors, can they get by with 2 sensors, how well does it track, etc, I decided to do a quick test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neMkdCdW2_0

I disconnected my 3rd sensor that was on usb 2.0, leaving my 2 sensors on 3.0 that are diagonal across from each other in the corners, about 12' apart and about 7 1/2 to 8' high. Its far from perfect, and in the places where I was blocking one sensor and the other couldn't see it either it lost tracking. I would recommend for a perfect roomscale setup, get the 3rd sensor, but honestly, I was kind of blown away how well 2 of them worked all things considered. There were a few hiccups but I didn't have a problem jumping, going around the boundary wall, crawling on my hands and knees and laying on the ground.

If you don't want to spend the money... it actually might be worth seeing how you go with 2 if you're willing to mount them in the optimal way.

I only have a 6x6 area to play so I tried out the opposing corners with 2 sensors and it works great. Played some Superhot last night with that setup and had no issues.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So this summer sale really made me spend a lot of money. I ended up buying Superhot VR, Elite: Dangerous, Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, and Flyinside-fsx. Oh and a HOTAS. We're definitely through the looking glass here, people. I'd also have bought a 3rd sensor if I knew where I could find one that won't take a few months to ship.

:retrogames:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AndrewP posted:

War Thunder is neat but made me feel nauseated after a while. Not sure why since I have no problem with Elite. Definitely worth a download to gently caress around for a while though.

Eve Valkrie made me feel queazy sometimes, but Elite didn't. I think there's more cockpit movement not associated with head movement in Eve, which can cause the unease. I was getting the same thing with Dirt Rally when it was set locked to horizon instead of locked to the cockpit of the car. Once I locked it to the car it was smooth from there. Seeing the outside bounce around wasn't an issue. Seeing the interior of the car bouncing around without being able to feel it was a different story.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There is one problem with Elite I'm having and it's controls. My HOTAS doesn't arrive until Friday so right now I'm making do with a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 from 2001ish. It just doesn't have enough buttons so I constantly have to use the keyboard, and my keyboard and monitor aren't in my line of site when I'm doing VR because I have an L shaped desk and put my sim stuff on one branch of the L so I'm not dragging a racing wheel, pedals, joystick, etc around on the same desk as my monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I'm hoping the cheap-rear end HOTAS I bought (thrustmaster hotas x) has enough buttons that using the keyboard will be a rarity..

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AndrewP posted:

It's got a decent amount of buttons but there's still not enough for everything Elite has buttons for. Honestly for Elite, I'd set up Voice Attack. Either that or put your keyboard in front of you so you can see out the nose hole, but that's not nearly as easy or cool ("cool") as commanding your ship through voice commands.

I get a lot of blur if I leave any sort of nose gap so that's out but voice attack seems really cool. I'd much rather say the commands I'm not going to use that often than have to go for the keyboard.

There's a keyboard in my ship when I look down and left, if I could just use the touch controllers on that keyboard I'd be happy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enos Cabell posted:

I was able to map everything with a Saitek X-45, only ever had to use keyboard for typing in system names in the galaxy map.

I have an xbone controller with one of those chat-pad keyboards. I think that functions in windows as just a standard keyboard. I should keep that on hand for that because I can touch type on that thing without seeing it, and it's much better than moving a whole keyboard around to the other desk.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oculus users seriously have to put up with all that poo poo just to use SteamVR? WTG facebook.

I haven't done any of that. All I did was make the steam walls as faint as possible and just use the oculus ones.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any way to just completely disable the desktop mirror? No one else is watching me play, and I'd rather use that performance on supersampling than something I can't even see because my monitor's not even turned on when I am in VR most of the time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lemming posted:

Not that I know of, but the overhead is super minimal, it just outputs the pre-distorted image, which is free since it needed to render that anyway.

Im not sure that's always the case. I disabled mirroring with a command line flag for project cars and my frame rate went way up and was able to crank the supersampling so it looks really good and is super smooth. I was just hoping there was some way to do it system-wide.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sefal posted:

does echo arena have a demo I can try out?

So far I'm really liking audioshield

Echo arena is free for the next 3 months.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Vehicular games are superb in VR without motion controls, as are rhythm games like Thumper or Rez.

Is there a VR version of Rez available? That's like, my all time favorite game on any platform and if there's a VR version I'm all over it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Old Story posted:

Just ordered a Rift because of the sale bundle. I have never tried VR. Is there a go-to tech demo to show people new to VR?

Also how's that Star Trek game

I've just been showing people the thing that blew me away, the robot demo thing (first contact) that starts right after the touch controller tutorial after setting everything up.

Everyone except my father in law. I put him in a F1 car in Assetto Corsa. He lasted about 20 seconds.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ammanas posted:

Motion sickness? Flight, space flight and driving seem like such great opportunities in VR but super easy way to throw up

He got really dizzy. Driving games don't make me dizzy. The first couple days going in reverse felt funny but it's normal now. I did start with slow cars though instead of starting with an open top car that goes 200 miles an hour on a track with a lot of corners like I started him out on. The only time I felt like I was dizzy and had to stop was when I tried an "experience" called face your fears. Some airplanes shoot off the face of a building I'm standing in and some mech comes in and picks me up and dangles me around. The motion i saw didn't match up with what I was feeling and there was no vehicle cockpit as a frame of reference so i pretty much quit and uninstalled it immediately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

He'd probably be fine if he didn't start out in an F1 car.

I did it on purpose. I don't like my father in law.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just set up a 3rd sensor, hard mounted my sensors to my ceilings, spread them out, used a USB extension/hdmi extension, and some ceiling hooks and I've got a pretty awesome 360 degree roomscale setup now. I am all in on VR. I've spent more than the pre-summer-sale price on all the games/addons I've bought with the rift bundle and it all feels totally worth it. It just took that price drop to get me to try it and see that it is indeed not even on the same planet as crappy phone VR.

Isometric Bacon posted:

With the Oculus, is there an easy way to set up different heights for demos, or is that just for the sensor setup and shouldn't matter for the end use once they're calibrated? In the Devkit, you used to setup 'profiles'.

I've only demoed the unit a couple of times, and I've noticed the floor depth was out / or the sensors were behaving strange. I wondered if it was because both instances had someone significantly shorter than me, and someone significantly taller than me. I haven't had this occur for myself however.

The height input in the initial setup is really just to get a floor measurement without putting the thing on the floor. You put in your height, then it calculates the floor by subtracting the height of the unit at the start of the in-vr setup from what you entered in at the setup and then saves that as the floor level. Any subsequent uses of VR should use that floor level setting to calibrate the virtual floor with your actual floor.

If tracking is wonky for people shorter than you perhaps your sensors are placed too high or are pointing too far upward.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tom Guycot posted:

Neat, this not only works with individual apps, steamVR apps, but also just steamVR itself. No need to use the weird sideloading anymore I guess?

I couldn't get steam vr to show up in there as an app but all of my vr games in steam are working fine. Flyinside FSX doesn't but I'm pretty sure that has something to do with needing admin privileges.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fight! For your kite! posted:

As a new Rift owner should I feel comfortable buying from the Occulus store given the current sales or should I wait and buy the games from Steam?

I bought Elite: Dangerous on steam and it worked the first time but every subsequent launch it wouldn't work with the rift and insisted on using my monitor instead and HMD was not an available choice in the game settings. I exported my steam key and converted it to an oculus home key and re-downloaded it through the oculus store and it worked great. I think there is more Rift specific QC on apps bought in the oculus store and versions of things available there seem to match the version currently available on steam.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
hanger bolts 1/4"-20 thread

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tom Guycot posted:

What about this screwed right into the plywood?

Or a hanger bolt instead. Like 30 cents. 1/4-20 thread hanger bolt is all you need. I have 3 of them in my ceiling and they are perfect.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Parallelwoody posted:

Awesome thanks for that info. I wouldn't have factored that in and I want to try to have this set up on day one when I get it. I already have some driving games and elite dangerous so anything the bundle adds will be gravy. Is best buy still offering eve valkryie with the rift? And isn't there a cheaper upgrade option for super hot vr if you own the base game? Also, are there any preferred cord manufacturers or ones to avoid? Sorry for the pile of questions.

I don't think there is a cheaper upgrade for Superhot VR from regular superhot. But they are different games, it's not really a VR mode for Superhot, it's a whole retooling of superhot for VR. Also it's only $25 and worth every penny.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Parallelwoody posted:

I really appreciate the thought out answers and info from you all. Another question I have is about playing non vr games in vr. Not so much non vr games modded to be 3d but regular games just on a screen strapped to my face. Is this something doable/fun or will even a lovely monitor beat out the visuals for non vr games?

I don't know why people do this. VR is blurry and my monitor is not.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

zer0spunk posted:

Getting to mess around with that library without the horrible neck strain sounds fun.

Horrible eye strain still there though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just put mine on a desk and then stick a towel over it so it doesn't collect dust or get errant sunlight in it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KakerMix posted:

Elite has a specific reset option within the controls, set it to something easy to reach with your headset on.

In elite dangerous it's called "reset hmd"

You can also just hit the menu button on the right touch controller to go to the oculus menu and click "reset view in vr" and then go back to your game and that will work for any game. Pretty much all vr enabled games will have a control you can bind to a key/button though to reset your view.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boxman posted:

Oh god no. One sensor reports skipped frames, another reports dropped frames. I've tried every USB configuration short of plugging something into USB 2.0, which seems like it'd be counter productive with only two sensors.

Hey, you're right about that too! The Rift reports dropped IMUs.

Anyway, I did more googling and a couple people reported that this motherboard - the Asus Z170-a (I have its cousin board, the Z170-AR) - might actually have some weird incompatibility issues. Based on that random rear end post, I stopped overclocking my RAM, which seems to have done the trick...for now. This isn't the first time I was having these issues (check my post history), so I'm not at all sure this is actually a solve, but we'll see what's what.

I'm also very curious to see what Oculus support, who I've been in touch with, thinks of that video.

I have the Asus Z170-A with no issues. Were you just using the XMP profile to overclock your RAM or were you doing something more than that?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boxman posted:

I was actually setting the RAM clock speed manually in advanced settings because I frankly didn't know what XMP was (this is the first machine I've built since my Pentium 3 based computer). My system had been stable with that for months but maybe that was a problem.

Incidentally, thanks for posting that you exist. I was sure that i was seeing negativity bias (people rarely post their system specs saying everything is ducky) but this tells me that every problem I'm having is hypothetically fixable, which is a great help to morale. Question for you: how many sensors do you have, and what ports are they plugged into? Any expansion cards? I feel like I'm having trouble balancing across USB ports but there's so much going on I'm not sure what issues are attributable to what.

Didn't have time to move the cameras away today but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: I should post some positivity. Robo Recall was so loving good y'all. All I want to do is go home and hope my system is stable enough to play it more.

I have 3 sensors. My rear one is plugged into a 10 foot cable matters USB 3.0 extension cable (not an active cable) in one of the rear USB 3 ports. My front-left sensor is plugged into a 10 foot non-active usb 2.0 extension and that is plugged into one of my case's front USB 3 ports that is plugged into a USB 3 header on the motherboard. This header only has 2 USB ports on it and the other one is unused. My front-right sensor is plugged directly in to the rear USB 3 port right next to the one for the rear-sensor. The rift is plugged into another 10 foot cable matters usb 3.0 non-active extension and that's plugged in to the teal USB port on the back right above the USB-C port. The HDMI is also extended and plugged in to my video card. I also have a RGB USB keyboard and RGB mouse plugged in to a non-powered hub/kvm on a USB 2.0 port and either a HOTAS or Steering Wheel/Shifter plugged into the other front USB 3.0 header on my case. I also have 2 AIO water cooling systems (one for my video card and one for my CPU) in the machine plugged in to 2 internal USB 2 headers on the board. Overall, I'm using the poo poo out of my USB and don't have any USB expansion cards and haven't run into issues. I do have a pretty robust 550W power supply (evga).

I do hate the lack of USB ports on this board, it seems like there are way fewer than other comparable boards. I just checked and the oculus software recognizes that the sensors are all using the proper USB protocol and I never have wonky tracking even when facing backwards.

Edit: And I guess for completeness, I have 16GB of 3000MHz RAM "overclocked" using the XMP profile. Overclocked is in quotes because the RAM is sold as 3000MHz ram, but without the XMP profile it runs at 2400 I think. I don't know, I never bothered running it without the XMP profile. I also have a GTX 1080 overclocked with MSI Afterburner to 2100MHz (some things require I turn off afterburner to run right in VR, it's not an overclocking thing, it's an incompatibility with afterburner) and an overclocked i7 7700k at 4.9GHz.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 1, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lemming posted:

I don't think you can have it be like a rectangle on teh outside and an object in the middle, but what you could do is trace most of the rectangle, then don't connect it and draw in around the post, if that makes sense

I would be afraid of walking backwards into it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I haven't experienced any motion sickness but I haven't tried anything with artificial locomotion not involving a vehicle. I tried mission ISS standing and that made me feel strange and was a bit disorienting while I was doing it but I didn't get nauseous or anything. But I'm not prone to motion sickness at all, I've never had it on boats or when reading on a car/bus etc so perhaps I'm immune. Doom 3 mods sound interesting and I'll try them someday but I'm very into elite dangerous at the moment.

Speaking of elite dangerous, it's the VR game I've played that makes me feel the most nervous. Anytime I get close to a station maneuvering around to find the landing pad/entrance... it really makes me feel the size and scale of these massive space stations. And when someone drops you out of a jump and you have to do follow the escape vector... my ship doesn't have weapons (it's a lightened explorer ship) so I always get nervous that pirates or something are trying to steal my poo poo.

Elite dangerous is cool and good in VR.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bumbler posted:

The galaxy map doesn't need a mouse, you just have to assign map axises to your joystick and assign some buttons to raising and lowering the plane, it definitely takes some getting used to

I use the hat on the stick with a modifier button on the throttle to move the cursor around the plane, use the rocker on the back of the throttle to zoom in and out, a pair of buttons to raise and lower the plane, and use the stick itself to rotate along the plane. I use the hat without the modifier to manipulate the menus, and an Xbox one controller with a qwerty chat pad on it to touch type with for searching.

For the rest of the game I use the 4 buttons on the side of the throttle as modifiers so I have every function I need right on the HOTAS. I only ever use a keyboard for searching the galaxy map.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why are trade runs taking you hours? I've never had one take more than like 15 minutes and usually they are more like 10. Im doing trade runs while I build out an explorer ship and then will primarily be exploring. It's really chill and fun to drive a space ship.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So when you guys say that non VR games with a headset on aren't great do you mean that in a "this game looks terrible when I'm playing it with my rift" or is it more a matter of principle, that you'd rather be playing actual VR games with your 800 dollar VR headset? I'm asking this because I am a fence sitter with regards to the rift at it's current pricing, and playing games like overwatch or whatever in Big Picture Mode would give it more legs once I use up the current crop of VR specific titles.

Big picture mode would be like playing it on a 2-3 story tall SDTV. It would be huge but it would look blurry as poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it motion sickness inducing? I pretty much avoid anything that has movement other than vehicle sims. I'm really curious how Rex would be in that regard since it moves on its own and you're just floating there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

homeless snail posted:

It mostly moves at a constant speed which feels fine, its acceleration that gets you. I get a little simsick if I play Project Cars or whatever all day but I didn't feel anything at all when I was playing Rez nonstop on PSVR.

The best thing you can possibly say about Rez VR imo is that it feels like it was always meant to be a VR game, like it was designed in anticipation of technology that didn't exist at the time and finally it can be experienced as it was meant to be.

That's great. I play Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, and Elite Dangerous for hours at a time nearly every day and don't feel weird. In fact the only game that ever made me feel weird (other than everything on that first day) was Mission ISS because the motion was all weird, but I wouldn't say it made me feel sick exactly, just really unsteady.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok so Rez is really cool, but there are a couple things that are a little disappointing to me. I haven't tried Area X yet but the classic Rez levels are a 180 degree experience, not really 360. You can turn all the way around but as soon as an enemy is past you it's gone, and when things come at you from the sides the camera whips around to that side so you're still facing forward in your seat. You do have to look up down, and to your sides, but basically just in front of you.

As for wooziness everything is ok for me except when the camera whips all the way around so I'm traveling backwards. Just like in driving games, going backwards feels really weird and I got all hot and had to stop. There's a bit of backwards stuff in area 3. I started up again after a couple minutes where I left off and there wasn't anymore backwards stuff but then it got to the boss which is all traveling sideways and I started to feel funny again. I'll have to look at the settings and see if there's a different mode or I might just have to play this one not in VR.

Finally, and this is a huge nitpick from someone who has every version of Rez including an old beta for the dreamcast, but some sound effects and music have changed that were consistent on all the previous commercial releases. It's not a complaint really just something I noticed. The voice on the little analysis light thingy you shoot after each wave is different for example, along with some of the layers of the music early on in levels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

homeless snail posted:

There are camera options, iirc one of them totally disables camera movement which is I think the best way to play in VR. Contorting myself and flopping all over the place fighting Uranus is probably one of my fav VR experiences, I was sitting in a bean bag though which also enhances the game dramatically.

I just used the mode with the least camera movement and fought Uranus and it felt better. Also I think the rift headphones just distort the sound so it sounded different. I tried some good headphones instead and it sounds just like the old music.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I got an Oculus yesterday and set it up with some simulation games. Dirt Rally is really awesome in VR but it felt kind of stomach lurching when I was throwing the car through corners sideways or going down a big elevation drop. I'm hoping I'll get used to it eventually, I felt like I was getting more used to the motion after running through a few tracks at least.

I think Elite is a little too slow for VR, there's a lot of travel time where you can't do much. It would be vastly improved if you could set it to travel on autopilot and then get up and throw things around your spaceship or poke at electronics like you can do in the tutorial that comes with the headset.

I have an app on steam called OVRDrop that adds an overlay to steamVR and you can trick Elite into running in steamvr mode. I use it to watch youtube videos and Netflix while on long flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I got an Oculus yesterday and set it up with some simulation games. Dirt Rally is really awesome in VR but it felt kind of stomach lurching when I was throwing the car through corners sideways or going down a big elevation drop. I'm hoping I'll get used to it eventually, I felt like I was getting more used to the motion after running through a few tracks at least.

I think Elite is a little too slow for VR, there's a lot of travel time where you can't do much. It would be vastly improved if you could set it to travel on autopilot and then get up and throw things around your spaceship or poke at electronics like you can do in the tutorial that comes with the headset.

Dirt rally also has a "lock camera to horizon" option for VR and it's set by default. That makes the cockpit bounce around and outside the car is fairly stable. At least for me, that felt off and made me woozy. I turned it off and instead the cockpit of the car stays steady and the surroundings moved around. Much more comfortable for me so you should try that.