Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Apologies if this is clearly answered somewhere else, but:

I bought the Rift + Touch recently and set it up - everything works beautifully!

Unfortunately, all of the free touch games are showing in the store as if they are full price. When I go to oculus.com and look at "My Rift" in the profile, it only shows the headset and sensor that came with it, not my Touch controllers.

Anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

rage-saq posted:

Rerun full setup again in Oculus Home.
Go to settings, devices and click the drop down in the top right.

Rerunning the full setup didn't work, so I guess it's time to put in a ticket.

Other question:
If I want to play a game that isn't in the rift store, other than setting up my rift to allow games from other sources, do I have to do anything?

I've changed that setting and downloaded GORN, but when I put on the head set after running GORN it just goes to black then to the Home/Library screen. Is there another step I'm missing?

Thanks again!

Figured it out: Need to have Steam VR installed.

metztli fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Has anyone had any success with some kind of cable management system to prevent themselves from tripping/getting tangled up in the long cables for headsets?

While I haven't tripped over mine yet, I am keenly aware of it while I play, and I'm thinking of putting some kind of pulley on the ceiling of my office, along with some kind of re-winder system so that when I move around it more or less manages to keep the cable from pooling on the floor or whatever.

Anyone have something like this? I'm playing room scale (about 3x2.5 meter play space) if that matters.

metztli fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 4, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Just be bare foot and wear shorts. You’ll feel where your cables are.

If you don’t VR in your underwear you’re doing it wrong.

While VR in one's undies makes undeniable sense, I wound up setting up a rig by screwing a couple of hooks into one of the rafters in my space, attached a pair of retractable dog leashes a couple of feet apart, and then ran the cable through that. Only problem is that I only have really light weight leashes, so the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to pull the cord up all the way, but it was still 10x better than it was. Once I replace the leashes with stronger ones it should be amazing.

On a different note - Audioshield. Holy poo poo, that thing is amazing. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking, but I went through Flight of the Bumblebee, the Katchurian Saber Dance, Boston's Long Time (extended version) and then ended with the long cut of Freebird. That's no joke a pretty good workout, and I'm really glad the padding for the headset is washable.

I also got Soundboxing and Gladius, figuring those look fun as hell and should help me get an upper body workout. Anyone recommend anything that engages the legs, maybe a dance/rhythm game? I guess that would be hard to track (unless they make trackers for your ankles?) but maybe something that makes you crouch or something a lot.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

The Walrus posted:

I honestly don't even notice the cord anymore. It makes certain games like holopoint less good than they could be but for the most part games aren't designed to make you spin around constantly. Wireless is a nice to have but not a must for me, and honestly carrying around a half point extremely warm battery in my pocket seems like a greater hassle.

With wireless, I think I would just put the battery in a camelback, as that'd let me ditch the cables and hydrate while I play without having to ditch the controllers/take off the headset. Wouldn't even notice the weight or the backpack really.

The Walrus posted:

play soundboxing and do squats for the lower notes instead of reaching down. work it into your dance moves.

Good call - I look forward to extremely sore legs tomorrow.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

Keep us updated-- I'm way more physically active than the average VR player and keeping track of the cord is the #1 most annoying thing. I was thinking of something like this too, might even attach it to my Subpac

I just came back with 2 large leashes, and now have 2 retractable dog leashes at each spot where I previously had one - each set is one small leash and one heavy duty leash. The small one has a small clasp which holds the cable snug, the large one has a bigger clasp and so it lets there be a little play in the cabling, but it has exactly enough purchase to pull the cable all the way back up, eliminating the sag, when I back up. The sets are about 2-3 feet apart, and there's about 5-6 feet worth of slack cable between them to allow for a nice amount of give when I need it, but doesn't feel like it's pulling me back until I get right to the edge of my play area, which is perfect.

A quick test right now and I really had to work to get the cable tangled up, like, I had to intentionally do movements I would never do in order to cause it. I did squats, went prone even, spun around a few times, and it worked like I'd hoped. Success! Not bad for ~$40 in dog leashes and $5 worth of cup hooks and double sided tape. It isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but then again, it's in my home office/workshop so it doesn't need to be attractive, just out of the way. I also set up some hooks on the wall so I have my controllers and headset hanging there.

Now that I've got this, I'm going to look at improving it by setting up a trolley system - mount a rail on the rafter that has a caster in it, feed the cable through that, and have a really strong retractor mounted next to the 3 cable box to spool it out/reel it in as I move, so there's never any slack. That'll look better, but will have to experiment to see if I can actually make it work well. It's going to be really nice to get all that stuff just totally out of the way until I actually need to use it.

The Subpac looks pretty neat - I'm imagining it making the experience much more immersive, and that's pretty drat exciting. Right now my audio is an inexpensive pair of over the ear headphones since the earbuds that came with the Vive are too big to fit in my ears, and they keep falling out, even if I use the smallest rubber dealies. Deluxe audio strap will be ordered once it's back in stock, but for now this'll do.

mellowjournalism posted:

Again, just remember that 99% of VR devs and players are extremely lazy and play even melee games standing stock straight up. Get in a goddamn crouch, get into the goddamn game, play it like you're a goddamn gladiator and it is 1000000% more fun.

I had a great VR moment yesterday where a bad guy in Gladius spawned weird and got pushed up into the crowd bleachers, so I sprinted forward and leapt 3 feet in the loving air and cut his god damned legs off :black101:

edit: If you haven't played Onward/Pavlov/FPS games, try those too, your crouching gets tracked so you can work dem thighs busting sick nasty 720 dropshots

I love those kinds of moments - when you can use the medium to do something really funky and cool. I played Gorn on the Rift with Revive, and at some point I got so frustrated with being unable to kill one of the armored guys that I just grabbed his head with one hand, grabbed his shoulder with the other one, and TORE HIS HEAD OFF. I then picked up his body and swung it at the second guy.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, and probably would be less so when it comes to VR - seriously, my fight or flight kicks in so hard that it becomes intensely uncomfortable to play most of them. Gorn is cartoony enough that I didn't stress, and since Gladius looks more or less like that, except slightly less absurd graphics, it's about the level I can handle. I might try Superhot since that's also not terribly realistic and you can more or less slow it down by not moving.

Really, games like Climbey and such are more my speed - PvE instead of PvP, and not so much a hostile environment at that, but one that instead is just challenging to navigate.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Care to share pictures? I've been considering doing something similar but hadn't thought of using dog leashes.

These aren't by any means good pics, but they should show the general idea. I took them after the first successful test, and have since put a bit less slack in between the two sets, so it's a bit more tidy, and really. There are 2 leashes on either side of the rafter, with the forward set (away from my desk/monitors) about 2-3 feet away from the rear set, and I stand another 2-5 feet away from the forward set.

Edit: fixed images.

metztli fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 6, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
This morning I started teaching myself Unity + VR and made a (janky, but fun as hell) super-strength simulator in which you can throw poo poo at other poo poo, and tweak the velocity multiplier to set a strength level. I don't think I want to go back to non-virtual reality now...

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Sure, I would take one.

Edit: thanks :)

metztli fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 7, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

I know there's a good game in Echo Arena but I can't for the life of me enjoy it with a vire attached to me. If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it. If I try and not think about it and lose myself in the game I'll twist it hard enough it unplugs itself from the cablebox.

:smith:

Seriously, set up an overhead rig. I jump, spin, drop, and generally dance around like an idiot and everything is groovy.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

fake edit: Whoa, this looks like an awesome setup for my situation!
http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

Let us know how that works if you try it - I wonder how stable the base will be if you pull etc. Hm or you could attach a retractable to that and maybe get the best of both worlds, if you find yourself pulling it off balance.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Well, you clearly know a hell of a lot more about it than I do. I was just extrapolating based on the Vive wireless addon that's supposedly on the way; didn't think to take 2nd gen resolutions into account. Still, with how obnoxious the cord can be, I imagine there will be a lot of incentive to come up with a solution of some sort.

$40 and an hour, tops, isn't too bad an investment to make a temporary fix. In my case, it wound up taking VR from something I could spend an hour or so doing before I became annoyed to me playing long enough to fully drain my controllers.

I'm really excited about wireless, though. No strings on me.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
My 3rd camera, USB card and USB extension cables arrived today so now I get to set up my office for Rift roomscale - it'll be interesting to compare that to the Vive.

Any particular gotchas goons have run across with Rift roomscale that don't immediately come up on Google?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

The only real fuckery that comes up can be with USB issues for some folks, other than that just making sure to position them for the best setup. Generally just, up high in the corners, pointed roughly at your waist is a good rule of thumb. The sensors have a roughy 110x70something FOV so keep that in mind, and I'll keep recommending this to fine tune and dial in the position. That said, even if you just want to plop them down on your desk its honestly not bad, just not total floor to wall coverage.

Yeah, the Rift definitely feels like the "easy" mode for set-up (except for roomscale which I can't quite get working yet tonight - but will try again tomorrow), while the Vive roomscale part just worked, and everything else was a bit tricky.

On a different note, for my Vive, my deluxe audio strap came in and I really dig it. The headset fits better now, and I am glad I don't have to use my own headphones since the earbuds that came with were poo poo. It'll also be easier to let other people wear it since the back knob adjustment is much easier than the velcroing the straps on the side and all that.

PerrineClostermann posted:

drat, the Oculus Sensor ships in 1-2 months on Amazon.

Yeah, Amazon was out for me, too, but I ordered one from BestBuy - free shipping, got here in 2 days, and the only headache is getting the drat thing working properly :)

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Stick100 posted:

When VR first game out I tried to go find any USB DDR mats and couldn't find any easily. I think DDR mats could actually work pretty well for some things, but with Knuckles eventually on the way, hopefully we can move to better leg tracking shortly.

Vive has non-controller trackers that are pretty great on your feet, though there's nothing I'm aware of that actually uses them yet. I got 2, specifically so I can enable kicking things in the games I'm making with Unity, and they're pretty nice.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Looks like they want the router to be directly connected to your PC. So I think they want it between your computer and your existing internet setup. I am not sure if this will be the same manual that comes with the US one but here you go: https://www.tpcast.cn/wirelessetup_EN.pdf

Am I correct in thinking that if I use a wireless connection, I just need to connect the router to the PC to have the TPCast work, but can still use wireless for actual online stuff?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
I got my TPCast delivered a couple of days ago and finally found the time to set it up today. After a bit of trial and error I got it working!

The good:
+ When it finally worked (I had some setup weirdness), I didn't detect any difference between the wired and wireless gameplay - it was smooth like butter.
+ Previously I had set up an overhead cable management system and while it was great and let me do whatever without getting tangled, this is much better - I don't feel any tug at all, as I sometimes did with the dog leash system I made, and moving around, spinning, going low to the ground, it all worked wonderfully
+ Audio was perfectly fine, synced correctly, all of that - the deluxe audio strap is still great
+ No problem with the TPCast and the Vive n' Chill

The bad:
- The hardware setup was a little obnoxious - the TPCast in the video looked different, the explanations for what went where was kind of gibberish, and the person doing the connection hid the ports half the time with her hands so it was tricky
- The router setup was a bit obnoxious - the instructions refer to port colors, and my router's colors were reversed
- The initial connection was a bit obnoxious - the software would say everything was connected but I didn't get an image on the headset and Steam VR kept crashing. I rebooted and that more or less sorted things out.

The ugly:
/ If you have a Vive and a Rift, if you don't run the TPCast connection assistant before starting SteamVR, it tries to run all the rift stuff, so there's a lot of windows to close down and all that
/ Mine didn't seem to come with a power connector for the battery, but it's just the same usb type as the controllers - still, would have been nice to have another cable so I can charge it all at once
/ Support, the documentation, the videos, everything would have benefitted greatly from having a native English speaker handle the translation - things are referred to 2 or 3 different ways, and sometimes 2 or 3 different things are referred to with the same language, so it can be confusing
/ When it's working, there's a kind of hum/buzzing sound from the box that is plugged into the computer - I'm not sure if that's due to proximity to the pc or lights nearby or what, and I can't hear it when I'm playing, but it's there when I take off the headset and go by the box. It stops when I remove the battery from the powerpack, though.

Overall, from opening the box to finishing my first game of AudioShield was about 2 hours - if I had to do it again it would be about 15 minutes, since much of the extra time was spent trying to figure out what the instructions were saying and asking

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

VR is very interesting about how it captures non gamers really. The weirdest thing I've seen is one of the folks competing in the echo arena esports tournament was a like, 46 year old stay at home mom who never played video games at all, and now she was crazy into this VR game. Its wild stuff.

Yeah - I was stunned by the reaction some people have had. Using Unity, I built a room that had a bunch of stuff in it you could grab and throw etc., and my mom (who is 78) and her friend (who is 75) lost their loving minds getting to throw poo poo around in there using my vive, and they kept coming up with ideas for making it more interesting all the while. Both of them are hilariously non-technical and I think the only video game my mom ever played was Solitaire so she could learn how to use a mouse.

Also, different note: I finally had my first nausea incident in VR. I was playing GORN and, while GORN definitely triggers the hell out of my fight or flight reflex, it has never really caused any physical discomfort before. This time, as I was tweaking the locomotion options, suddenly my FOV became very small, like I was viewing the world through a cardboard tube, and my eyes just couldn't track or focus properly, and I immediately became incredibly uncomfortable. I spent maybe another 30 seconds trying to undo it in game before I just couldn't handle the feeling anymore. Took off the headset and had to lay down for 10-15 minutes before I felt like myself again. It might have been a temporary glitch with the TPCast, or it might have been a glitch in GORN, but either way I haven't run into it again.

metztli fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 26, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Can't remember off hand if Gorn had the"comfort" option for movement or not. It's also in Google Earth, it blocks out your peripheral vision when moving. It never made me sick, though I only used it for a few seconds it took to realize what it was. I think the idea is it softens the effect of moving for sensitive people, though it's incredibly annoying to people that don't need it.

e: on the topic of oldies, my mom's mind was blown by the dinosaur in my GearVR. My dad handled that fine and even tried some Superhot VR (he tends to only play card games and some civilization stuff). He picked that right up, though his hands and arms are pretty wrecked from an accident, so he couldn't physically play long. And I have an aunt that had never played video games. I let her try that Oculus intro demo in the RV and she loved it.

I'm going to see if I can get my mom to play Deisim next time she's over - that game is pretty limited for now, but quite fun to mess around in, and might be about her speed.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
What games would you guys recommend that are good for a workout? I'm thinking something like 30 minutes of decent activity, and maybe one doesn't need to actually be good at it to play so that someone who is out of shape could easily have fun in it without having to deal with frustration or fatigue - for example, GORN but with invulnerable and just keep rampaging for the whole time or something.

A friend of mine is interested in getting more active and I am thinking that something that lets them at least get moving at first and then can ramp up would be fun for them.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

What's wrong with playing GORN and sometimes dying and restarting? Seems more inherently motivating than an endless rampage without any sense of improvement.

This is for someone who has a pretty low threshold for frustration when it comes to things that are involve physical activity (hence why they aren't terribly active to begin with). They also are not very good at video games in general, so they'd be getting killed a lot and might just say gently caress it and quit. The hope is to find things that will draw them in, get them being active without them even really thinking about it, and then they can go from there.

Audioshield is great a great recommendation! That one is super forgiving of mistakes (misses only matter if you care about score) and you don't even realize how intense it is until after you've ripped through a playlist. I can't believe I forgot about that.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

I'll second this. It's on sale for $3.50 right now on Steam, has both Oculus and Vive support natively, and Youtube integration. It's all user-made beat charts, but plenty of them are good.

Playing Soundboxing for the first and second time are easily the sweatiest experiences I've ever had in VR.

$3.50? Buying it as a gift for them then.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
I just got Bridge Crew thanks to the 50% off Steam sale + non-VR people being able to play to boost population a bit.

Now I just have to get OpenTPCast to be able to use the mic again (or, I guess, set up an external one?) - anyone have any experience with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
From what I understand, Subnautica still doesn't support the Vive controllers, right? The steam page says it requires the M+KB or a gamepad, but if the Vive controllers are supported now, I definitely want to get it.