Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Bee posted:

I know it's good but it doesn't make me laugh (although her standup does). Got 17 minutes into the pilot, will try again soon.

the pilot is pretty bad, the show does get better.

I thought the show was alright, and I would watch a second season if one came to be, but I definitely don't like the 3 timelines thing. The Duluth timeline is also pretty dumb. She always has the most forced crazy look about her, that almost seems like it is more disrespectful for mentally ill people.

I like the pepper hat thing with the pepper holder for easy pepper eating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone who thinks this is disrespectful for people with mental illness has no sense of humor

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

Anyone who thinks this is disrespectful for people with mental illness has no sense of humor

ya hahaha its so funny how she always has that forced deranged look in the duluth scenes ahaha lmbo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

ya hahaha its so funny how she always has that forced deranged look in the duluth scenes ahaha lmbo

I don't know what you're talking about

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
maybe i dont have a sense of humor though, because the show really isn't very funny. I didn't mind watching it, but there weren't that many laugh out loud moments

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know what you're talking about

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

If you think that's "deranged," you may have autism.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

If you think that's "deranged," you may have autism.

lol autism joke good one

that was the closest image i could find on google image search. In most of the duluth scenes she is disheveled looking, and cannot close her mouth despite not smiling. You are being obtuse if you are pretending you can't realize she is trying to look fake crazy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That look is 100% accurate, you do know she lived like that for years right?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

That look is 100% accurate, you do know she lived like that for years right?

lol its not 100% accurate, regardless of if she dealt with that in the past. She was trying to recreate that stage, and in doing so puts on a completely forced deranged look and its offputting

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

lol autism joke good one

that was the closest image i could find on google image search. In most of the duluth scenes she is disheveled looking, and cannot close her mouth despite not smiling. You are being obtuse if you are pretending you can't realize she is trying to look fake crazy

OK, since you apparently can't comprehend this, I will hold your hand, there are three timelines.

The first and earliest timeline is the timeline where she's essentially experiencing mania, this is the one where she's dating Dean Cain.

The next timeline is when she's experiencing a depressive episode, and going through treatment for hence the blue filter and the "fake crazy."

The Third timeline is after Duluth, and she's returned to California, in this timeline she's a bit more stable.

If you have issues with when things are, you can look at her hair :ssh:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

OK, since you apparently can't comprehend this, I will hold your hand, there are three timelines.

The first and earliest timeline is the timeline where she's essentially experiencing mania, this is the one where she's dating Dean Cain.

The next timeline is when she's experiencing a depressive episode, and going through treatment for hence the blue filter and the "fake crazy."

The Third timeline is after Duluth, and she's returned to California, in this timeline she's a bit more stable.

If you have issues with when things are, you can look at her hair :ssh:

Maybe you are having trouble because I understand all of this. I am saying that her portrayal of a crazy person in the Duluth timeline is offputting because of how forced her attempt to portray "deranged crazy person" is clearly faked, and is a characiture of a crazy person and that is what I have an issue with

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah that's dumb

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JakeP posted:

Maybe you are having trouble because I understand all of this. I am saying that her portrayal of a crazy person in the Duluth timeline is offputting because of how forced her attempt to portray "deranged crazy person" is clearly faked, and is a characiture of a crazy person and that is what I have an issue with

1. She's entitled to portray her mental illness however she chooses
2. It's a deadly accurate portrayal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdSFEHyTYQ
3. Stop concern trolling

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

1. She's entitled to portray her mental illness however she chooses
2. It's a deadly accurate portrayal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdSFEHyTYQ
3. Stop concern trolling

1. I'm entitled to my opinions on her portrayal of her mental illness
2. its not and your youtube video isn't relevant to any arguments I have made so not sure why you posted it
3. stop TV show whiteknighting because someone presented an opinion contrary to yours

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

3. Stop concern trolling

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JakeP posted:

lol its not 100% accurate, regardless of if she dealt with that in the past.
I don't think that's your call to make, yo.

This is the first instance I've heard anyone talking negatively about how the show deals with mental illness, the closest being a few friends dropping out entirely because it hit too close to home.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the person who lives with the mental illness probably has a better idea of how best to portray said illness than some rando whiner on the internet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JakeP posted:

1. I'm entitled to my opinions on her portrayal of her mental illness
2. its not and your youtube video isn't relevant to any arguments I have made so not sure why you posted it
3. stop TV show whiteknighting because someone presented an opinion contrary to yours

Are you mad because you or someone close to you has bipolar and you think the portrayal is offensive? It's not like this is a network show and she has a producer or director telling her to exaggerate. It's almost definitely a personal and creative choice to act the way she does.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I dont care

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JakeP posted:

I dont care

lol get hosed

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Nah, you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

Nah, you.

For someone who doesn't care, you sure seem to care a lot.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

JakeP posted:

I dont care

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Not about my original opinion at this point, and more about my right to have it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tone policing isn't an opinion

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

Not about my original opinion at this point, and more about my right to have it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm loving sick of the toner police. I print what I want.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I don't even know what that means. I simply stated one thing about the show that I didn't like. Whether or not anyone else likes it makes no difference to me, and whether or not anyone thinks I am wrong makes no difference to me either. Sorry that my lack of enjoyment on that aspect of the show so negatively affects your enjoyment of the show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

JakeP posted:

You've never crashed like this so I'll make it clear.

It's not a caricature that's what it feels like. Or at least that's what I felt like and what others have said, so, no it's not really faked. It may not work for you from a TV standpoint, but it doesn't make the feelings, or the portrayal fake.

Art sometimes is exaggerated because that's how it feels internally. Though it wasn't so, I dunno what you want.

JakeP posted:

I don't even know what that means. I simply stated one thing about the show that I didn't like. Whether or not anyone else likes it makes no difference to me, and whether or not anyone thinks I am wrong makes no difference to me either. Sorry that my lack of enjoyment on that aspect of the show so negatively affects your enjoyment of the show.

You do, otherwise you wouldn't put out your opinion.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i do what?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

JakeP posted:

i do what?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I have bipolar and I think this show is disrespectful against people who enjoy comedy

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Guys, guys, I can't get into a show because this woman's hair UGH.

The Duluth segments aren't "fake crazy looking", she's having an extended depressive episode and doesn't care enough to maintain her looks.

Veskit posted:

This show is bipolar disorder distilled. The hardest part so far (one episode left) was when she was talking to the life coach about friends.

From personal experience, yes. There were a lot of times she nailed the bipolar experience.

It's interesting how she separates them by time. I'm definitely seeing hypomanic in the Past segments and depression in the Duluth segments, while Present is "medicated and trying to manage both". Probably one of the best portrayals of mental illness I've seen in media.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't get into it because in the past segments she cocks her head a little off center. You guys can see it right? YOU CAN SEE IT RIGHT!? :psyduck:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
WHAT THE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT CAROL?!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Does anyone else think the original idea was to get Werner Herzog to voice Bert?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This show is fucken great

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
#redsaddle

I love when the visual language of the show slips into the realm of Arrested Development. Hu Drink, the cutaways to pictures with a brief stinger of music. It feels like they went in to production really trying to come up with a unique voice and visual style for the show - breaking the fourth wall, comparing it against similar comedian-led vehicles, the three timelines, etc but by the middle of the season just couldn't help themselves.

For anyone sick of the three timelines, by the end of the season all of them have caught up with each other and unless they go back past her manic pre-Duluth life, which they may, it seems like it's moving forward from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I wish you could make the Ignore List feature somehow also block everyone who is responding to said ignored fucko

• Locked thread