Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
:siren::siren::siren::siren:BLANKET NSFW WARNING: Every video in this LP is considered not work safe and should not be watched in the office, unless your office is weird and doesn't mind copious amounts of blood, violence, and tits.:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Title banner courtesy of SuperGrafitti

About a year ago, I did a very informative LP of God of War, a game where a very angry man learns to move past the idea that revenge is a problem solver. In it I, and others, talked about various greek myths that the game was supposedly based off of, despite the fact that nobody on the game's team did any research whatsoever because David Jaffe is the best at video game design. In that game, a Spartan named Kratos went after Ares, the god of war, because Ares tricked Kratos into killing his own wife and daughter. He then proceeded to spend 2/3 of the game in the world's silliest and most elaborate dungeon crawl ever to get Pandora's Box, which apparently had a Super Mario mushroom in it. He killed Ares, and for that he was made into the new god of war, all while still being punished by having nightmares of his familicide. That'll end well!

God of War II picks up a little bit after that... at least enough time for them to make a PSP game set between the two games. Apparently all of those lessons about how revenge isn't all that great and you probably shouldn't seek it have been tossed out the window and we're right back where we started. While the games' stories only get worse from here, the gameplay is a marked improvement over the first. You have little changes like UI improvements, slight combat tweaks, stuff like that, as well as big changes like making more than two magic spells useful and not having the secondary weapons suck.

On top of that, though, the members of the team actualy bothered to do some loving research this time, as well as throwing in some more names from greek mythology. A couple of big profile names pop up in this game. Like Theseus. You know Theseus right? Everyone knows Theseus. That's just the start of it, too. Not going to spoil any more though. And much like last time, I've got lots of friends helping me through these by making some fights and backtracking a little easier to swallow by talking about these heroes, as well as some other topics.

:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:SPOILER WARNING LEVEL: ORANGE:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:
*Do not talk about spoilers from any of the other games except for the original God of War.
*Put spoilers for this game in spoiler tags.
*Thank you.

Episode I - The Colossus of Rhodes ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode II - Prometheus ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode III - 300 ... Uncut ... Cut

E3 2016 Podcast with Lesbiathan

FAN ART

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would like to point out that Very Hard is in fact named Titan in the game. Also this is the game that I first played in this series and I remember a part where I just stopped playing, so seeing the full thing shall be rather fun.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I really hope there is session named and explaining the importance of the pissing statue/fountain.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Oh man, I've been waiting for this.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it's an Ape LP

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't recommend crossing from one side to the other in that Colossus fight, until the QTE prompt pops up. Getting to the far side of the platform and double-jumping with good timing will avoid the attack and not provoke a follow-up arm sweep. I learned many things while getting to nearly the final boss in Titan difficulty. Foremost among them, of course, was "Don't play Titan difficulty."

It is pretty dirty to take away your orbs as well as your powers - they intended you to start from zero at that point, I guess, but there's nothing you can buy with the orbs you have left anyway, so why not let the player keep them? Or maybe get them back a little later?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Okay Kratos has no one but himself to blame for that death. Partly because he's a belligerant rear end in a top hat but mostly because of the fact that he blew up a giant fuckoff statue and he had to stand around and gloat while it fell on him. That was some Looney Tunes poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Okay Kratos has no one but himself to blame for that death. Partly because he's a belligerant rear end in a top hat but mostly because of the fact that he blew up a giant fuckoff statue and he had to stand around and gloat while it fell on him. That was some Looney Tunes poo poo.

Secretly, Kratos is the god of hubris.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some Looney Toons poo poo is basically the subtitle for this entire series.

Always glad to see more Mythology Chat LPs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh crap now I need to finish watching the first LP

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Delicious Mythology chat LP time :allears:

I enjoy learning more about Greek mythos despite it being one of the more popular mythos to crib things from because it will always surprise you with another messed up legend even when you think you've heard them all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Delicious Mythology chat LP time :allears:

I enjoy learning more about Greek mythos despite it being one of the more popular mythos to crib things from because it will always surprise you with another messed up legend even when you think you've heard them all.

Like how everyone sailing to Rhodes got to enjoy a giant male upskirt shot whenever they entered or exited the harbor.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Like how everyone sailing to Rhodes got to enjoy a giant male upskirt shot whenever they entered or exited the harbor.

I wonder how anatomically correct they made the statue, the Ancient Greeks were big on naked statues of the gods.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

White Coke posted:

I wonder how anatomically correct they made the statue, the Ancient Greeks were big on naked statues of the gods.

Pillar of Hercules after dark

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For future reference, I actually found historical information on Ancient Greek finger counting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I believe the red orbs you put into the sword are returned to you at some later part- having trouble tracking down documentation though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabulousvillain posted:

I really hope there is session named and explaining the importance of the pissing statue/fountain.

This was actually bothering me for a bit but I'm pretty sure it's not even Greek, it's a reference to a real life Belgian statue named Manneken Pis. There's a few legends about why it is what it is but he one I remember is that he's a 2-year old duke who was brought to a battle by his men as encouragement. They hung him in a basket from a tree and he pissed on the enemy forces who then lost the battle.

Interestingly the statue itself has been stolen numerous times, however unlike the Colossus of Rhodes they have found it and restored it. Of course because it's not stupidly big they also remade it a few times whenever it was stolen.

One thing that's interesting about when you drain the red orbs into the blade, it also drains all the levels from your Blades of Athena, so you lose all your advanced combos and techniques.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Kratos launches wars for no drat reason, murdering thousands using his divine powers to ensure that no-one else can give him the slightest challenge, then falls for a plot a kindergartner could see through, takes half a dozen hits with his divine blades to kill Joe Q Soldier, and gets killed because he's a loving dumbass.

Remind me. Why are we supposed to root for this douchebag, again?

Seriously, I've been told stories of how unpleasant Kratos is, but seeing him in action is something else.

Eager to see how much worse he can get. Also to hear about the classical douchebags he's going to be stabbing. I know enough old myths to know that man the heroes could be dicks, but there's always more to learn.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Kratos is by no means the good guy or person you are supposed to root for, he's an rear end in a top hat in a game full of assholes which is actually quite refreshing since you rarely get to play as such a massive jackass in games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is a really silly-looking game.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Judge Tesla posted:

Kratos is by no means the good guy or person you are supposed to root for, he's an rear end in a top hat in a game full of assholes which is actually quite refreshing since you rarely get to play as such a massive jackass in games.

At least in the first one you get the feeling you aren't quite the worst person in the story. Shame they didn't let the series R.I.P.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I offer you the Blade of Olypmus." It is capable of draining statues, morons and spell checkers.

If he is strong enough to throw the whole freaking colossus that far distance, why the hell does he struggle to lift those gates?

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 25, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

At least in the first one you get the feeling you aren't quite the worst person in the story. Shame they didn't let the series R.I.P.
Yeah, really. You'd think it's pretty loving difficult to out-dick the Greek gods but lo and behold.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That art SuperGrafitti did is amazing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Zenithe posted:

I dunno. I like the idea that I'm actually playing as the villain of this whole thing.

Also I'm going back to put spoiler policies in the OP right now, but basically please don't spoil things that happen in games we haven't covered at all, even in tags, and put spoilers for this game in tags.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Kratos launches wars for no drat reason, murdering thousands using his divine powers to ensure that no-one else can give him the slightest challenge, then falls for a plot a kindergartner could see through

Kratos is not a clever man.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Kratos is not a clever man.

His name means strength, not smart.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
about drat time, Kalon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Kratos launches wars for no drat reason, murdering thousands using his divine powers to ensure that no-one else can give him the slightest challenge, then falls for a plot a kindergartner could see through, takes half a dozen hits with his divine blades to kill Joe Q Soldier, and gets killed because he's a loving dumbass.

Remind me. Why are we supposed to root for this douchebag, again?

Seriously, I've been told stories of how unpleasant Kratos is, but seeing him in action is something else.

Eager to see how much worse he can get. Also to hear about the classical douchebags he's going to be stabbing. I know enough old myths to know that man the heroes could be dicks, but there's always more to learn.

because his wife is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaddddd

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zenithe posted:

The PSP Games and Acension technically come before this game in the timeline and go a long way towards explaining why Kratos is doing what he's doing now. But those are spoilers.

It suffices to say that all of the gods are assholes and despite everything he does in this game he can probably still be considered the good guy somehow.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Oh good, I'm not quite as stupid as I thought I was.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It's me; I'm the one who's been sitting here all like :allears: waiting for Kalon to LP the new R&C game.

But hey, God of War 2 is cool too. Kurieg's comment reminds me that I own all the GoW games, yet I've only played 1 and 2... I've actually got no idea what happens in the PSP games. Really ought to give those and GoW3 a run through one of these days. They're buried somewhere in my enormous backlog.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Trust that you would be perfectly alright without playing any of them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Chains of Olympus and 3 were still pretty fun, though. I've only played Ghost of Sparta once, but it was also fairly good, at least. Ascension's the only God of War game I really didn't like.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess it's weird to say as someone who still plays Assassin's Creed but GoW... God of War (gently caress video games) wore its welcome out way faster than most series, for how little it changed up its stuff.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Chains of Olympus and 3 were still pretty fun, though. I've only played Ghost of Sparta once, but it was also fairly good, at least. Ascension's the only God of War game I really didn't like.

These are my feelings as well, mostly because they turned the magic system into a thing that you can only use when you're already kicking rear end. If you need it to pull your rear end out of the fire it's literally unusable because apparently someone at Santa Monica studios thought they should emulate the Arkham series of games?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Until some plot choices in the games post-2, I actually really like Kratos, particularly in 2.

I mean, he's a miserable bastard and almost completely unsympathetic, but that's why I like him! He's a villain protagonist! It's a refreshing change from brooding antiheroes to have a player character who is basically, to anyone with a brain at least, more or less the unambiguous villain of the story.
And, while I'm sure no one in the writing team intended it that way, it also serves as something of an interesting deconstruction and critical take on Greek mythology in general. By almost any modern moral standard, the 'heroes' of Greek mythology are almost universally monstrous assholes. I mean, we are talking, after all, about a culture where institutionalized patriarchy was essentially codified in myth as being synonymous with the very concept of civilization. So the 'hero' of a game about Greek myth being a unrepentant rear end in a top hat is a perfect fit.

I forget where I read it on these forums - it may even have been the GoW 1 thread, it's been a long time so I forget - but the best description I have ever heard of Greek mythology came from here; 'there are no heroes in Greek myth; only assholes doing badass things.'

And, really, that sums up this game as well as it sums up Greek myth. Kratos is an rear end in a top hat who does badass things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kratos is also apparently the world's biggest dumbass. The big, dramatic event that strips him of his power is him standing and gloating about how badass he is before the boss he defeated accidentally falls on him and crushes him.

Which, admittedly, is exactly how you'd expect Kratos to go out.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

That's how basically every myth concerning hubris goes. Someone goes and brags about how they're better than the gods at something, and the gods promptly give them the smackdown. Especially in those cases where the person legitimately is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aranae's crime wasn't hubris, it was being better than a god. Because no one can be better than a god.

• Locked thread