Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
choose yo' choice
This poll is closed.
The Vegetarian by Han Kang 15 40.54%
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin 11 29.73%
Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees 11 29.73%
Total: 33 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
As always this is an interest check more than a strict contest. You can vote for more than one option, but please only vote if you plan on participating if that book is selected.

Our modern literary pick:

The Vegetarian by Han Kang

quote:

Yeong-hye and her husband are ordinary people. He is an office worker with moderate ambitions and mild manners; she is an uninspired but dutiful wife. The acceptable flatline of their marriage is interrupted when Yeong-hye, seeking a more 'plant-like' existence, decides to become a vegetarian, prompted by grotesque recurring nightmares. In South Korea, where vegetarianism is almost unheard-of and societal mores are strictly obeyed, Yeong-hye's decision is a shocking act of subversion. Her passive rebellion manifests in ever more bizarre and frightening forms, leading her bland husband to self-justified acts of sexual sadism. His cruelties drive her towards attempted suicide and hospitalisation. She unknowingly captivates her sister's husband, a video artist. She becomes the focus of his increasingly erotic and unhinged artworks, while spiralling further and further into her fantasies of abandoning her fleshly prison and becoming - impossibly, ecstatically - a tree. Fraught, disturbing and beautiful, The Vegetarian is a novel about modern day South Korea, but also a novel about shame, desire and our faltering attempts to understand others, from one imprisoned body to another.

quote:

Han Kang (Hangul: 한강; born November 27, 1970) is a South Korean writer.[1] She won the Man Booker International Prize for fiction in 2016 for The Vegetarian, a novel which deals with a woman’s decision to stop eating meat and its devastating consequences.[2] The novel is also the first of her books to be translated into English.

Modern SF pick:

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

quote:

this book is ALSO hugos award nominee for catagory name of HARDEST LONG BOOK which makes bad dogs blues VERY UPSET. here is like to read for yourself maybe it makes you feel like a hot-to-trot buck maybe then you can vote for it and make LOVE REAL for tinglers AND other books.

http://www.therabidpuppies.com/

quote:

In N. K. Jemisin's new novel, The Fifth Season, the payoff is astounding. Sure, there's a whopping glossary at the end of the book — two of them, actually — but that simply underscores how much sumptuous detail and dimensionality she's packed into her premise. The story takes place in a land called the Stillness, a tragically ironic name, seeing as how the geography is in constant, violent flux. The entire world undergoes apocalypses on a periodic basis, as regular as weather patterns. In the fractured landscape that houses the sprawling city of Yumenes, that instability has given civilization an equally volatile reality. A caste system scars it. Science and magic have uneasily mixed. And Essun is a small-town schoolteacher whose family has been brutally ripped apart from within.

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/04/427825372/fifth-season-embraces-the-scale-and-complexity-of-fantasy

quote:

During her delivery of the Guest of Honour speech at the 2013 Continuum in Australia, Jemisin complained that 10% of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SWFA) membership voted for conservative writer Theodore Beale (also known as Vox Day) in his bid for the SFWA presidential position. She went on to call Beale "racist, misogynistic, and hateful" and noted that silence about these issues was the same as enabling. Beale responded by calling her an "educated but ignorant savage."[6] A link to his comments was tweeted on the SFWA Authors Twitter feed, and Beale was subsequently expelled from the organization.

Our This Book is Free pick:

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

quote:

Lud-in-the-Mist is an unusual fantasy first published in 1926, before The Hobbit and considerably before the existence of fantasy as a marketing genre. It would be recognised as one of the founding works of the genre except for the way it has rarely been noticed and seldom reprinted. It’s a book that is itself in the tradition of Rossetti’s Goblin Market (1862) and Dunsany’s The King of Elfland’s Daughter (1924). It’s very clearly an influence on Susannah Clarke’s Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Neil Gaiman’s Stardust and the work of Greer Gilman, so perhaps it has contributed to a particular strand of fantasy, a particular way of approaching the numinous.

Lud-in-the-Mist is a sleepy comfortable settled town in Dorimare, a country that borders on Faery but which has turned its back on Faery and all the possibilities of Faery. The book is poised on that edge in which the uncanny spills into the mundane. It’s also beautifully written and a joy to read aloud. The theme, and the shape of the story, is pretty much that of The Bacchae, which isn’t unknown as a modern plot (Joanne Harris’s Chocolat) but is an unusual one to borrow, especially in this kind of setting. The story is shot through with folklore and country superstitions and the looming presence of the faery folk under the edges of the everyday.

http://www.tor.com/2010/10/06/next-door-to-fairyland-hope-mirrlees-lud-in-the-mist/

quote:

Virginia Woolf, however, found her exasperating. In her diaries, she called Mirrlees "a very self conscious, wilful, prickly & perverse young woman, rather conspicuously well dressed & pretty, with a view of her own about books & style, an aristocratic & conservative tendency in opinion, & a corresponding taste for the beautiful & elaborate in literature." She invited Hope over for the weekend, and was appalled to discover that she not only changed her dress every night for dinner, but wore powder and scent in profusion and a wreath in her hair that matched the color of her stockings and every night, a different color of stockings. She was, Woolf concluded bemusedly, "rather an exquisite apparition."

Moreover, Mirrlees received a university education at a time when few women did, spoke five languages fluently, including Zulu, and was an up-and-coming literary figure. Her first two novels, now forgotten, received the kind of respectful reviews that difficult works by promising new writers do. She knew all the intellectual lights of her time, flitting inconsequently through the lives and sometimes biographies of Gertrude Stein, Bertrand Russell, Andre Gide, Lady Ottoline Morrell, Anthony Powell, Walter de la Mare, Katharine Mansfield, William Butler Yeats, T.S. Eliot, and the classicist, Jane Ellen Harrison, with whom she lived for several years.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/introduces/mirrlees.htm

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I feel like I didn't do a good enough job talking up Lud-in-the-Mist. It's a genuinely brilliant book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Old books suck and its free because its trash

dropping truth on you like bombs on an afghani village

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lud in the Mist is on my list b/c of this post, but I was gonna read the Fifth Season by Jemisin next anyway, so that's where my head's at.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I meant to put a chuck Tingle book in the poll but forgot

Oh well, next month

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I meant to put a chuck Tingle book in the poll but forgot

Oh well, next month

Shameful

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Was there anyone who didn't annoy Virginia Woolf?

My vote's for The Vegetarian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Only those who were afraid of her.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm a bit late to the party, but maybe these things would work better if you tried nominating widely known nerdy novels that we all mistakenly think everyone's read already. What I mean is, why not do a Neal Stephenson book, or something from the Charles Stross' Laundry series, Mieville's Embassytown or Scar, old Asimov or Clarke, Vernor Vinge, Ursula K... I'm guessing that type of BOTM club could draw lots of people people that may recognize the title and meant to read it anyaway. Plus, I think fans would be interested in a reread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mcustic posted:

I'm a bit late to the party, but maybe these things would work better if you tried nominating widely known nerdy novels that we all mistakenly think everyone's read already. What I mean is, why not do a Neal Stephenson book, or something from the Charles Stross' Laundry series, Mieville's Embassytown or Scar, old Asimov or Clarke, Vernor Vinge, Ursula K... I'm guessing that type of BOTM club could draw lots of people people that may recognize the title and meant to read it anyaway. Plus, I think fans would be interested in a reread.

Well, two of the three nominations this month are fantasy, and one is a current Hugo nominee, which is pretty mainstream. Past that, generally most of the books you mention are already actively discussed in other threads on the subforum and often have ongoing discussion. Vinge is often discussed in the space opera thread, for example, and if you search the forum for LeGuin you'll find hundreds of mentions, same for Mieville.

Historically this forum has had a problem of being filled with pop SF & F and not much else, so the BotM is one way to help folks who might want to expand their reading a bit. (This month, for example, all the nominations are female authors, who with the exception of Leguin and Cherryh tend to get ignored here). If I go too far though historically people don't participate, though, so it's always a matter of walking a line (which is something the poll helps me navigate).

The big issue is always getting goons to read anything at all though so if people want more mainstream selections, nominate them next month and vote for them. I can point out some possible directions but ultimately I can't take the forum anywhere the posters don't want it to go.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 27, 2016

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I read The Vegetarian recently, and it's been my book of the year so far, so I'm all for it. It's a very short book of three intertwined novellas that tell a whole story about a young woman in South Korea stepping outside of the boundaries of her society, with people around her having to make a decision if they want to follow her or not. It gets pretty weird and disturbing, in the best possible way. It's a quick read and there'd be plenty to discuss, so yeah.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a question - you say Lud-in-the-mist is free and it intrigues me a lot but I can't seem to find it for download; could you provide a link?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I am new so I am hoping responding to this thread is the correct way to vote. Let's do L-i-t-M! They all sound good but I am especially interested in pre Tolkien fantasy.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

VioletCorsica posted:

I am new so I am hoping responding to this thread is the correct way to vote. Let's do L-i-t-M! They all sound good but I am especially interested in pre Tolkien fantasy.

The correct way to vote is by clicking on the poll up there )not available via the app). Welcome to the Barn.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Aha! I am on the app. Thank you for the help and welcome!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a question - you say Lud-in-the-mist is free and it intrigues me a lot but I can't seem to find it for download; could you provide a link?

http://www.eithin.com/texts/Lud-in-the-Mist.pdf

mcustic posted:

The correct way to vote is by clicking on the poll up there )not available via the app). Welcome to the Barn.

Welcome!

Only votes in the poll will count unfortunately because it's too complicated to count otherwise. But you can vote for more than one, and if runner-ups do well enough I often renominate them in subsequent months.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I swear to god if some hundred year old fairy bullshit wins I am gonna... well gently caress probably grumble quietly about it and not post in the book club thread I guess?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thank you; looking forward to reading me some hundred year old fairy bullshit.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I came in here expecting to vote for the Jemisin because I've been meaning to read it for the Hugos, but now I want to read all three.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Vote right, vote Vegetarian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Victory for vegetables! thread will go up in a day or two

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Oh I messed up a bit here: that's an image based PDF, which is harder to read. I'm having a harder time finding a version in mobi or epub format, or rather finding one I'm comfortable sharing here.

The book is definitely out of copyright though. Even modern reprint editions are based on a reprint edition that didn't bother to even notify the author of publication.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Her father, but literally only that one person on the planet

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

poisonpill posted:

Her father, but literally only that one person on the planet

No no, he annoyed her too. She wrote half a book about him annoying her!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh I messed up a bit here: that's an image based PDF, which is harder to read. I'm having a harder time finding a version in mobi or epub format, or rather finding one I'm comfortable sharing here.

The book is definitely out of copyright though. Even modern reprint editions are based on a reprint edition that didn't bother to even notify the author of publication.

I gotcha covered! I made my own EPUB some time ago and have painstakingly prettified and corrected it.

Now, if you want to return the favor, you can find me a recording of the actual tune to "Columbine", which is apparently a real song.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Lud-in-the-mist, please

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Lud-in-the-mist, please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I gotcha covered! I made my own EPUB some time ago and have painstakingly prettified and corrected it.
This is amazing, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BattyKiara posted:

Lud-in-the-mist, please

Lud will almost certainly be featured in an upcoming month, especially now that there is a good eBook edition. These polls are basically an interest check and there's definitely enough interest in it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread