Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know music, but on The Lobster's soundtrack page two songs are listed as performed by the actors playing the characters who play the music. One of them appears to be an original composition, so that leaves something called Jeux Interdit. Something called that is on YouTube. It sounds like what I remember.

That's it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I saw this last night with my boyfriend, and while I got what the movie was going for, it became one of those 'watch glancing' movies, where I was constantly checking the time, hoping it was almost over. I thought the start/beginning concept was good, but right around 'I kicked your brother to death' the shift of the plot/storyline just became overly long and overly dull. The pointless narration, like Colin Farrell says/does something, then the narrator goes 'He said...'. The thing that may have bothered me the most was the constant repetition of that 'DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN' musical stinger. It didn't even come up at overly dramatic parts.

I thought it was plodding and boring, and felt like it just meandered from vague half-explored plot to vague half-explored plot. Like what's the animal 'nobody wants to become'? What's the 'red intercourse'?. I also felt like some scenes went on far too long like the woman that jumped out the window, and was moaning wailing got on my nerves really fast, but just kept going.

My boyfriend liked it, but even he said he felt it went on for maybe 45 minutes too long.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

what's the animal 'nobody wants to become'? What's the 'red intercourse'?.

It's pretty obvious what the latter is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It's pretty obvious what the latter is.

Yeah, kinda true, but at the same time, it seemed like such a throwaway line in retrospect considering I expected it was going to happen to them, considering they were breaking the rules, rather than just blinding the woman. Maybe the mention of it was just to see the one punishment and let your mind run amok filling in for itself what the other could entail.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Peacock seems the obvious choice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MisterBibs posted:

I loved the little side-story between the Nosebleed Girl and her best friend. It was obvious to me that Best Friend was totally in love with Nosebleed Girl and either never told her or felt they didn't have anything in common.

They had a preexisting relationship before the hotel, nosebleed girl mentions how her other girlfriends will never be quite as good as her. Likely, since bi isn't an option, Nosebleed girl considers herself hetero and thus needs a male partner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This movie is fantastic and hilarious though it does drag in the second half, it's true. Still easily in the top 5 movies I've seen in the past year or so.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally got to seeing this.
I loved it to pieces. Yeah, the second half drags a bit but I think that was okay. I would have preferred 25% more hotel and maybe someone violently refusing their time being up.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally got caught up with this. I don't have too much to add as far as the experience and style of the movie is concerned (except maybe question if they really thought simply putting a bit of a gut and a moustache on Colin Farrel was going to be enough to keep him from looking like Movie Star compared to the rest of the cast).

Honestly I don't even think the movie's necessarily about personal relationships specifically, I got that it was more generally about society's unwritten rules and assumptions and how easy it is to fall into petty tribalism and demanding ideological purity about the Right Way To Live. I think mixed-race/multi-ethnic folks, bisexuals, pretty much anyone that doesn't fit into a box will find a lot to relate to here.

I'm not sure what the whole animal transformation thing is meant to evoke other than being a colorful conceptual hook. I almost wonder if it's even real (of course I mean 'real' in-universe) or if it's all a hoax, but it doesn't even seem to matter. I feel like you could cut that out entirely and replace it with something like "you'll eventually get shipped off to a deserted island somewhere" and it wouldn't effect anything.

(Edited for better word choices)

lizardman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2016

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Like a few people in this thread I really enjoyed the first half of the film, but ten or so minutes after the action transitions to the loner camp it became a bit of a slog. It's not unwatchable by any means, but I had to fight the urge to check my email.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It doesn't really make much difference, but did anybody else get the impression that the turning people into animals thing was bullshit?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

General Dog posted:

It doesn't really make much difference, but did anybody else get the impression that the turning people into animals thing was bullshit?

You mean they just kill the person and act like some animal they found used to be that person?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You mean they just kill the person and act like some animal they found used to be that person?

Yes

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that's the case as you see more and more exotic animals in the woods towards the end of the movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

lizardman posted:

I feel like you could cut that out entirely and replace it with something like "you'll eventually get shipped off to a deserted island somewhere" and it wouldn't effect anything.

I disagree. I really loved all those little pieces intentionally left for the audience to chew on, and changing the great hook and red herring of the movie would remove a whole lot of them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mysterious frankie posted:

Like a few people in this thread I really enjoyed the first half of the film, but ten or so minutes after the action transitions to the loner camp it became a bit of a slog. It's not unwatchable by any means, but I had to fight the urge to check my email.

"Satire turns dull after characters wind up in a commune" is probably common enough to be its own trope, Fahrenheit 451 and Weekend both hit a roadblock there, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the movie all the way through, but I do think the woods part could have been about 15 minutes shorter.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lizardman posted:

I'm not sure what the whole animal transformation thing is meant to evoke other than being a colorful conceptual hook. I almost wonder if it's even real (of course I mean 'real' in-universe) or if it's all a hoax, but it doesn't even seem to matter. I feel like you could cut that out entirely and replace it with something like "you'll eventually get shipped off to a deserted island somewhere" and it wouldn't effect anything.

yeah it'd be better if the movie cut all the satire and metaphor (if you can't get a stable relationship you're literally failing out of humanity) and just followed a couple people browsing OKCupid for 90 minutes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Finally got to seeing this.
I loved it to pieces. Yeah, the second half drags a bit but I think that was okay. I would have preferred 25% more hotel and maybe someone violently refusing their time being up.

Ya I think pretty much everyone in this thread has something to say about the length or the latter half of the movie. Just watched it and though the same thing. The hotel parts were done so well. Really got that creepy dystopian feel right. The presentations of single Man and single Woman were hilarious. The first half felt like a hosed up Wes Anderson movie but then the cast dissapeared and it became a bizarre romance story.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I finally caught this on Amazon Prime. The premise sounds like it's way up my alley. But goddamn, did I hate this movie.

My best assessment of it is that someone brained Wes Anderson with a hammer and tasked him with directing a really lovely, self-satisfied episode of Black Mirror. It was two hours of listless, flat-affect non-characters exhibiting no more than one defining trait, punctuated by the same repeated music cue about 30 times.

I get that a lot of people liked it, and that something about its intended satire landed. I was definitely not one of those people. gently caress this movie.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
sorry about your bad taste bud

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Xealot posted:

My best assessment of it is that someone brained Wes Anderson with a hammer and tasked him with directing a really lovely, self-satisfied episode of Black Mirror.

your assessment is real fucken bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would kill for a Wes Anderson episode of Black Mirror tho

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In this case, Lanthimos’ movie would be better described as a take on white, heterosexual, upper-middle class dating. Two people of color appear in the movie, both in minor roles, for a total of three scenes. After the check-in scene that shows homosexuality and heterosexuality as options on equal bureaucratic footing, we see a gay couple for a few seconds out of the entire movie, blurred out in the corner of the screen.

On the other hand, the explicit erasure of bisexuality is the movie’s sole strong societal criticism. The check-in scene wryly repeats the doubts and disqualifications that lead to a belief that bisexuality is less real than homosexuality and heterosexuality, and to biphobia.

lol

I saw the first 60 min or so of this on the plane; what happens in the end, after they raid the hotel? I liked it, but I am glad to hear my feeling that I'd seen the best of it is supported.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you saying bisexual erasure and biphobia aren't real because uhhhh they very much are.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finally watched this film since it was on Amazon Prime. I laughed my rear end off. It's wonderfully hosed up.

The ending is great and I think it's up there next to The Witch in being unexpected and forcing me to mull it over for a bit.

Regarding bisexuals being forgotten in our society, I laughed at them having size 44 shoes and size 45 shoes, but not the 44.5 shoes he asks for.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This may be obvious but I thought the shoe line was to illustrate how there was no recognized bisexuality.
In such a grey, prescribed world it stands to reason that people could not handle more than two options at a time.

It's not biologically accurate, of course, but it seemed like a way for the writer to take a jab at the premise.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

My girlfriend nearly broke up with me because of an argument this movie caused. She said my enjoyment of it proved that I had a deeply hosed up idea of what love is.

your girlfriend sucks lol

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

But seriously this is a poor choice for a date movie. You pretty much have to break up.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cliff posted:

But seriously this is a poor choice for a date movie. You pretty much have to break up.

Choose a better date. My SO loves the movie. Still my favorite movie of the year behind moonlight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Though there were plenty of good jokes and the movie had a great sense of humor, I feel like a lot of them were kind of cliche. Like something a highschooler would write and thing it was the bleeding edge of dark comedy. They weren't very intelligent I guess. I don't know, I think I'm being pretentious but I'm just going off how I felt watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Saw this recently. My take is the world in the film is a reflection on dating and marriage in the real world boiled down to the most basic elements. The focus on superficial matches, sex is just the physical, the societal pressures to be married/have a mate and stay together at very great costs, the counter-pressures from those who don't want to conform these standards and so on.

The animal bit for failure aligns with the idea that if you don't find a mate you are cast out of society at large but it's a stretch.

I liked it but as an art house film that is different from most of what we watch. It sticks with you a bit. That said no way I'd want to see a movie like it regularly.

• Locked thread