Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Despite the name it had nothing to do with seas and was about three musketeer action. There was basically no support for boats, no new world, nothing except for a short lived spinoff tcg.

Well the 2E core doesn't have anything covering the New World and the other continents either.

Edit: Corrected on boats

Here's another pick-me-up from Wick at the very end of the book:

John Wick posted:

You’re Going to Do Fine
That’s a lot, right? But don’t worry. You’ve got this. I know you do. I’ve got confidence in you. You’ve got a bunch of friends willing to help you and support you. You’ve got this book. You’ve got a whole heaping lot of 7th Sea fans on the internet willing to offer you advice.
Being a GM is hard work. But it’s also rewarding work. When you pull it off, it really is like being a magician. Watching the players’ reactions. Reacting to things that don’t exist.
Yeah, I’m going back to that because it’s important. Don’t worry about the things you screw up. Chances are, your players didn’t notice. And if they did, they’re willing to ignore it. Just keep moving.
You’re going to do fine. Trust me. I’ve been doing this my entire life. I know such things. Now go join your friends and help them tell stories.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I stand corrected, since its been well over a decade since I last looked at the 7th Sea books.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

"Now go join your friends and help them tell stories"

Jesus this should be in every RPG book.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've barely started reading it, but one thing I thought was a pleasant surprise was seeing Jennifer Mahr not only acknowledged as co-creator of 1st ed., but also she's the writer of the fluff that opens the book.

You hear John Wick's John Wick Presents buys the full rights to a John Wick game, you start worrying about the guy's ego.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's still some Wickery in stuff like the Inismore section or people's opinions on Vodacce, but it's relatively subdued.

Yo, did you know Vodaccians are a lot like spiders? Like, metaphorically?

Edit: Finished reading through the major stuff. It's interesting just how many rules you can see as directly following on from the old system, despite being so different. Advancement through Story is intriguing. There's a picture of an Eisen woman with Farah Fawcett hair and Randy Savage biceps.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 28, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Serf posted:

Missed an opportunity to use the term "transmedia" in the title there Ettin

I thought that was a little on the nose :v:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: There's also a passionate kiss between two men in the Advantages section, so I'm sure there's going to be some grognard huffery about that.

Let me guess, it's John Wick and his clone?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Posting this again from the previous thread:

I've just backed Hoard, a casual set collection game that has you stealing treasure from a sleeping dragon, and each other. The mechanics look straightforward and fun and the art is beautiful, which is unsurprising since it was originally designed by two artists from Weta Digital.

The game is finished and they're looking to confirm an initial print run of at least 2,000 copies - Cheeky Parrot Games already have a few games available and their most recent one was successfully funded through PledgeMe, so I'm fully confident in their ability to deliver this one. Plus I don't have to pay shipping since they're based in New Zealand!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HitTheTargets posted:

I've barely started reading it, but one thing I thought was a pleasant surprise was seeing Jennifer Mahr not only acknowledged as co-creator of 1st ed., but also she's the writer of the fluff that opens the book.

You hear John Wick's John Wick Presents buys the full rights to a John Wick game, you start worrying about the guy's ego.

Yo, did you know Vodaccians are a lot like spiders? Like, metaphorically?

Edit: Finished reading through the major stuff. It's interesting just how many rules you can see as directly following on from the old system, despite being so different. Advancement through Story is intriguing. There's a picture of an Eisen woman with Farah Fawcett hair and Randy Savage biceps.

Yea that was a classy thing to add, good on him. Wick's still Wick in a lot of ways but his recent few projects have really changed my opinion on the dude.

Also buff rear end Eisen glam lady is the best art in any RPG

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
What's Wick done lately, anyways? I sort of have a total gap in my knowledge of him between Houses of the Blooded and Seventh Sea 2e.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He did that really neat RPG where you play as magic items and poo poo. I didn't get in on that but it seemed to be a perfectly well handled KS as well with the people I know who got it having nothing but good things to say.

I wanna say he did another thing too but I can't quite remember.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's done a bunch of small pamphlet rpgs. Off the top of my head there was; a revised edition of Cat, where you play cats defending their owners from monsters out of urban legends and folklore, one where you play group of children in an abandoned industrial town where the only adult is a creeping horror and one where you play as characters in a soap opera.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He did that really neat RPG where you play as magic items and poo poo. I didn't get in on that but it seemed to be a perfectly well handled KS as well with the people I know who got it having nothing but good things to say.

Quite by accident, I've backed 3 of his projects, including 7th Sea 2e. I've never been a John Wick fan per se, and never bought any of his games in the 90's, but I've been impressed with his professionalism on everything so far. He treats it like his job - which it is - and takes his commitments seriously.

Wicked Fantasy was okay. I backed it and got it for the non-d20 goodies. Great fulfillment.

I liked Wield pretty well, too. Very cheap, fulfilled very fast. Neat idea, too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Yeah, for all his idiosyncrasies, Wick is one of the most professional people in the industry. These latest bits about playing and DMing in 7th Sea gives me a small bit of hope that maybe he's rolling back the ego a little.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

one where you play group of children in an abandoned industrial town where the only adult is a creeping horror

This sounds pretty interesting - do you remember what it's called?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's called Wield. It doesn't really do what it promises though. The whole game is supposed to be about how magic items and their mortal wielders vie for dominance but there aren't mechanics to cover those conflicts. There's also no character sheet PDF out there as a free download. You could handle that idea with a game like Monsters and Other Childish Things better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, for all his idiosyncrasies, Wick is one of the most professional people in the industry. These latest bits about playing and DMing in 7th Sea gives me a small bit of hope that maybe he's rolling back the ego a little.

Yea I was really happy to see him talking so much about story over mechanics and all that and generally seeming to want to actively encourage new gms. Even if the whole 'aw gee I'm rooting for you to just have fun' is a little sappy it's so much better than 'YOUR PLAYER PICKED A FLAW BE SURE TO PUNISH THEM FOR IT AT EVERY TURN" as he used to do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The elements of Quirks are still in 2E as well as Villains being complete dicks, but there's at least a carrot to go with the stick now. I'm still not convinced of the system as a whole, but the setting is a lot better than before

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's done a bunch of small pamphlet rpgs. Off the top of my head there was; a revised edition of Cat, where you play cats defending their owners from monsters out of urban legends and folklore

...? Isn't this Call of Cathulhu?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No it predates that by a long time. Also it's like a 16 page book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

cptn_dr posted:

This sounds pretty interesting - do you remember what it's called?

Found it, http://johnwickpresents.com/product/schauermarchen/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Thanks!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, after reviewing both Play Dirty books, I had to sit down and read 7th Sea's GM section... and... it's pretty good, overall. There's a lot of good advice and it stays relatively focused. It, unfortunately, still has some Play Dirty moments in there ("Death Scenes", "Punishment and Failure", "Bringer of Conflict", and "Order" are essentially cribbed from those books), but it has a thoughtfulness that's usually missing from his GM advice sections. It suffers a little from One True Waying as he tends to, but most of the advice is solid and useful, and it's one of the better introductions for new GMs. Overall I think it's really positive, and is certainly is far better crafted than either of the meandering, self-congratulatory Play Dirty books.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

clockworkjoe posted:

It's called Wield. It doesn't really do what it promises though. The whole game is supposed to be about how magic items and their mortal wielders vie for dominance but there aren't mechanics to cover those conflicts. There's also no character sheet PDF out there as a free download. You could handle that idea with a game like Monsters and Other Childish Things better.

Or play "Swords without Master."

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

No it predates that by a long time. Also it's like a 16 page book.

Interesting. Thanks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone had an opportunity to look at Anachrony?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

I'm in a group buy for it. It's by the makers of Trickerion, which I hear was good. But I'm having a few second thoughts, mostly because I'm really cutting it close with my budget.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

If I wasn't buying a house I would have backed it.

Trickerion was a well run kickstarter and produced a solid game (that could have used another round of playtesting to catch some obvious rough bits )

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm in a group buy for it. It's by the makers of Trickerion, which I hear was good. But I'm having a few second thoughts, mostly because I'm really cutting it close with my budget.

Sort of in the same boat with a budget..

Mojo Jojo posted:

If I wasn't buying a house I would have backed it.

Trickerion was a well run kickstarter and produced a solid game (that could have used another round of playtesting to catch some obvious rough bits )

I'm concerned this game will have the same issues, but it looks so nice.

Also considering Sol, which will probably not have a retail version, and This war of mine, which might be a better video game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ropes4u posted:

...and This war of mine, which might be a better video game.
With a lot of these non-native English speaker developed games (that are text heavy), I'm more worried that the final product will have a bunch of awkward grammatical errors and typos. Their updates and campaign page have a couple of clunky phrases every so often which gives me pause.
The whole draw is that it has a 1,000 scenario book, so if it's annoying to read, it sours the game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If anyone was considering Sol here is a great review by the creator of pax pamir

https://culturebytesback.com/2016/05/24/review-of-sol/

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Space Raiders KS just launched - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-orcs-are-here

This really tempts me, they've done a really good job with the Oldhammer style for 40k, even down to the Khorne Ork, Hybrid, Ambull and Zoat. I really hope they keep this up and do other ranges in the future as it may be a good way of getting affordable reinformcements for my Salamanders :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fenarisk posted:

"Now go join your friends and help them tell stories"

Jesus this should be in every RPG book.

No matter what I can say about Wick's system design and occasional grognarding, his heart's in the right place and it's great to see that sentiment expressed so clearly.

Xelkelvos posted:

The elements of Quirks are still in 2E as well as Villains being complete dicks, but there's at least a carrot to go with the stick now. I'm still not convinced of the system as a whole, but the setting is a lot better than before

You know, I'll take that, as 7th Sea Villains are absolutely meant to be almost cartoonishly evil at times. They're swashbuckling villains.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone playtested the new 7th Sea yet? I'm curious how its rolling mechanic works out in play. At first glance it seemed fairly slow and complicated, but it looks like it's supposed to cram as much action into one roll (especially an opposed roll) as possible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

The Space Raiders KS just launched - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-orcs-are-here

This really tempts me, they've done a really good job with the Oldhammer style for 40k, even down to the Khorne Ork, Hybrid, Ambull and Zoat. I really hope they keep this up and do other ranges in the future as it may be a good way of getting affordable reinformcements for my Salamanders :D

I appreciate nostalgia, but man, I've always disliked those early Ork sculpts. I think it was the armor that killed it for me - I kind of like his Grots and Goblins. That Ambull is awesome though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Harrow posted:

Has anyone playtested the new 7th Sea yet? I'm curious how its rolling mechanic works out in play. At first glance it seemed fairly slow and complicated, but it looks like it's supposed to cram as much action into one roll (especially an opposed roll) as possible.
I haven't. Goons were getting kinda goony about it during the kickstarter, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The PDF of baby bestiary volume two is out and it is cute as hell :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I haven't. Goons were getting kinda goony about it during the kickstarter, though.

I'm still pretty iffy on it myself and would consider seeing if could work with the ORE system after a bit of mechanical retooling

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I feel like 7th Sea would work really well with an adapted version of the FFG Star Wars rules.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I feel like 7th Sea would work really well with an adapted version of the FFG Star Wars rules.

Are you kidding? The FFG Star Wars rules don't work for Star Wars, which is already very swash-buckly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

It would work really well with d20 System I think. So well they already did it once!