Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are you kidding? The FFG Star Wars rules don't work for Star Wars, which is already very swash-buckly.

Huh? The FFG Star Wars rules set is phenomenal and the best RPG system that Star Wars has ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are you kidding? The FFG Star Wars rules don't work for Star Wars, which is already very swash-buckly.

Yeah, I don't know what experience you've had with FFG Star Wars, but it's obviously very different to mine.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I love the FFG books for providing detailed information on the Star Wars universe that is better-presented than on Wookiepedia and the excellent art, but hoo boy is it a bad system for running an actual Star Wars game. The only good part of the system mechanically are the Destiny points.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

jivjov posted:

Huh? The FFG Star Wars rules set is phenomenal and the best RPG system that Star Wars has ever had.

This is not actually mutually exclusive with it being bad for playing Star Wars, mind you, in a damning with faint praise way. (But yeah generally my experience is otherwise.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

I love the FFG books for providing detailed information on the Star Wars universe that is better-presented than on Wookiepedia and the excellent art, but hoo boy is it a bad system for running an actual Star Wars game. The only good part of the system mechanically are the Destiny points.

I really could not disagree more. I've run several campaigns and had a blast in a very Star Wars-y fashion.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

I really could not disagree more. I've run several campaigns and had a blast in a very Star Wars-y fashion.

Whenever I read that book I get very turned off by the big lists of gear, feats and other unexciting nonsense. I feel like Star Wars needs to have as few rules as possible to feel at all Star Wars-y. Also the core resolution mechanic is highly fiddly and not at all fun.

I mean you can have fun with the system no doubt. My brother has been running a campaign for about 2 years on and off, but they've never played with most of the fiddly rules. I bought EotE and AoR and I think they are excellent products for running a Star Wars game in a different system, just really bad at letting you do what makes Star Wars fun and interesting.

But different strokes and all that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lasers and Feelings is the best Star Trek Wars RPG. :colbert:

Speaking of John Harper, he said the backer kits for Blades in the Dark were hopefully gonna be out this month. Maybe in June....

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I unjokingly would really like to see Star Wars run with Spirit of '77, but I'm perhaps unique in that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That'd be pretty sweet. A few of the playbooks would need tweaking though.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Harrow posted:

Has anyone playtested the new 7th Sea yet? I'm curious how its rolling mechanic works out in play. At first glance it seemed fairly slow and complicated, but it looks like it's supposed to cram as much action into one roll (especially an opposed roll) as possible.

It's really not as bad as it first seems, since in group scenes everyone rolls their approach simultaneously and then everything is resolved through the results of that.

The bigger concern I'm having is that there's really no reason that everyone shouldn't be a duelist. Going from one-to-one raises->wounds/prevention to one raise for ranks in weaponry is a really big leap.

Foul Weather Jack is also ridiculously under-costed. 3 points to double progression speed? That's way better than most of the 4 or 5 point advantages.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That'd be pretty sweet. A few of the playbooks would need tweaking though.

Honestly, I'd love to see expansion books for Spirit of '77 meant to emulate different decades of media trends. Mostly the 80s since that's the other end of the Golden era for the sorts of stuff So77 is trying to parody/emulate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd settle for Miami Vice the RPG.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

March of the Ants: Minions of the Meadow is in its final 48 hours. This is really one very underrated gem of a game that scratches that 4x itch without having to sacrifice an entire day to it. I unfortunately haven't played Eclipse, which seems like the most apt comparison in terms of weight, but from what I understand, it's a much more streamlined experience than even that, but has more weight than something like, say, Quantum. The game lasts just long enough, and it's very rarely a blowout (if it is a blowout, you likely did a whole bunch of dumb moves that made you deserve it). One of my favorite aspects of the game is that unlike most games of its type, you're not spending the first 2-3 rounds doing poo poo all diddling because you want your last actions to go uncontested. In this game, as soon as two players pass, that's it, the round's over. It encourages people to move fast and with purpose, and like Kemet, aggression is rewarded with VPs (and territory, naturally). The combat is mostly deterministic, with the only element a single card that can be added to the known strength value represented by your ants + their evolutions, which gives it a sense of uncertainty without devolving into luck.

One potential flaw is that it absolutely requires everyone to pay attention to the game at all times since all actions have a reaction to it, but they're also mostly minor effects that nonetheless help the flow of the game. But if people check out and have to be reminded to take their reaction, gently caress them they're assholes anyway.

It's seriously one of my favorite Kickstarters and I always wondered why a game with good mechanics + novel theme didn't get that much widespread popularity. I'll assume a lack of minis and/or titties. On that note, here's the expansion to Xia, that lovely game where you can theoretically win by pure rules lawyering.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

March of the Ants: Minions of the Meadow is in its final 48 hours. This is really one very underrated gem of a game that scratches that 4x itch without having to sacrifice an entire day to it. I unfortunately haven't played Eclipse, which seems like the most apt comparison in terms of weight, but from what I understand, it's a much more streamlined experience than even that, but has more weight than something like, say, Quantum. The game lasts just long enough, and it's very rarely a blowout (if it is a blowout, you likely did a whole bunch of dumb moves that made you deserve it). One of my favorite aspects of the game is that unlike most games of its type, you're not spending the first 2-3 rounds doing poo poo all diddling because you want your last actions to go uncontested. In this game, as soon as two players pass, that's it, the round's over. It encourages people to move fast and with purpose, and like Kemet, aggression is rewarded with VPs (and territory, naturally). The combat is mostly deterministic, with the only element a single card that can be added to the known strength value represented by your ants + their evolutions, which gives it a sense of uncertainty without devolving into luck.

One potential flaw is that it absolutely requires everyone to pay attention to the game at all times since all actions have a reaction to it, but they're also mostly minor effects that nonetheless help the flow of the game. But if people check out and have to be reminded to take their reaction, gently caress them they're assholes anyway.

It's seriously one of my favorite Kickstarters and I always wondered why a game with good mechanics + novel theme didn't get that much widespread popularity. I'll assume a lack of minis and/or titties. On that note, here's the expansion to Xia, that lovely game where you can theoretically win by pure rules lawyering.

I agree, March of the Ants is awesome and I'll love to have more of it!

As for Xia, can you expand (:hurr:) on that? I thought it looks really cool...

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:shrug:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Blood and Coke: the Fix Chronicle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Half her clothes look like they were MSPainted on top of a different piece of art. :psyduck:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Half her clothes look like they were MSPainted on top of a different piece of art. :psyduck:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I agree, March of the Ants is awesome and I'll love to have more of it!

As for Xia, can you expand (:hurr:) on that? I thought it looks really cool...

It's a game where almost everything is random. Roll to succeed, roll to move, etc. That would be fine for a short 30 min trading exploration game. But Xia admits this it can take up to three hours per game on the box.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The best system for running the 7th Sea setting is obviously Spellbound Kingdoms - which is, coincidentally, also the best system for running Star Wars.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

It's a game where almost everything is random. Roll to succeed, roll to move, etc. That would be fine for a short 30 min trading exploration game. But Xia admits this it can take up to three hours per game on the box.

And there's no good way to compensate for bad luck? That's too bad, they said they were inspired by Escape Velocity ... Oh well, thanks for warning me before I spent a hundred+ on it.. looks like I still have room for a big KS.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
A question for the Kickstarter connoisseurs here: I'm making a card-based RPG and plan on kickstarting it soon (game's page is here). With the actual production of the card decks, I have two main options:

1) Bulk-print the decks complete with full-colour tuckbox, get them shipped to me, then ship them to backers for a total cost to backers of ~£11 + pledge cost.
2) Give backers coupon codes to get the deck printed at-cost, put in clear plastic deckboxes and shipped to them for £6 + shipping (ranging between £4.8 for US to £13.8 for Australia) - total cost to the backer of £11-£20 + pledge cost.

Number 1 has the benefit of better value for backers and gives me a stock of decks to sell through my website and at conventions, but come with a higher risk of international shipping (via Royal Mail) screwing things up for me and giving me lots of work posting parcels. Number 2 puts all the fulfillment work in the hands of professional card printers and shippers and means I don't need to worry about a minimum deck print run, but at a greater cost to backers and with a less well-presented product at the end.

Any advice?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having listened to the Red Markets author talk through his process of shaping his own Kickstarter, it's my understanding that option #1 would only really work if you can guarantee that you can sell enough of your product to justify the up-front cost of having it bulk-printed.

You might be able to swing it if you also use KS as a "pre-order guarantor" - that funding the KS means you have enough money to pay for the bulk-printing AND you have enough customers that you won't be stuck with a warehouse-load of unbought product, but I got the impression that that would be expensive enough that your KS goal would have to be in the high-five-digit range.

Print-On-Demand avoids all that, but, as you said, it's more expensive for the customers because economy-of-scale never comes into play.

What Red Markets ended up doing was to have their print books be POD, with the promise of shifting to a bulk print model (with the corresponding price savings for the customer) as a stretch goal.

This is just third-hand knowledge from listening to a podcast, so take it with a huge grain of salt, I guess.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I unjokingly would really like to see Star Wars run with Spirit of '77, but I'm perhaps unique in that.

There's a special scenario we give out to people running games at conventions that's basically Galaxy Quest meets Point Break.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

White Wolf stuff is not for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

White Wolf stuff is not for me.

I mean if you don't like new wave stuff you can just ignore the new wave book? I don't particularly like it either, but it doesn't take away from me enjoying the rest of VtR.

Also regarding fulfillment and Red Markets have they started accepting pledges in Bitcoin yet or is it too gauche when it's living people using them?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having listened to the Red Markets author talk through his process of shaping his own Kickstarter, it's my understanding that option #1 would only really work if you can guarantee that you can sell enough of your product to justify the up-front cost of having it bulk-printed.

You might be able to swing it if you also use KS as a "pre-order guarantor" - that funding the KS means you have enough money to pay for the bulk-printing AND you have enough customers that you won't be stuck with a warehouse-load of unbought product, but I got the impression that that would be expensive enough that your KS goal would have to be in the high-five-digit range.

Shifting to bulk print as a stretch goal makes sense, though I'm not sure how you'd factor that into the kickstarter - once someone's backed at a pledge level you can't edit its price or anything. I guess I'd better have a look at how Red Markets has done things.

The expenses involved aren't too bad; if I'm aiming for at least 250 backers getting decks it comes out as an average pledge (including shipping) of £15 going the bulk printing route. With the PoD route I'm getting much less towards my pledge total per backer as most of the costs are deferred until the things are actually being printed, but my goal wouldn't need to be nearly as high - the average pledge would only need to be £5, for a final cost to the backer of £16-£25. My last kickstarter got 323 backers and £4,246, so hopefully that goal isn't too unrealistic. In each case people just backing to get the rules and print-and-play files or getting the high-level luxury tiers would add a lot to the goal without adding much in the way of extra costs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its not a strong hate, but I just don't like White Wolfs X: The Y RPGs and their mechanics. Not saying they're bad, they're just not what I am into. Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread so let's just move on.

I can't wait for WWWRPG: International Incident to come out so I can try to rope some of my pals at the FLGS into a one-shot. I even bought a microphone at a thrift shop. Nathan Pauleta said in a recent update things were ahead of schedule and it should be out this summer. IIRC he delivered WWWRPG early too, so I'm hoping he's right.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One of the first setups I did for my Spirit of '77 group was Star Wars Wars, which wasn't so much a Star Wars game as it was "Repo Man, but the macguffin is a mysterious sealed package delivered to the local drive-in labeled "ILM" that may or may not have a working lightsaber in it."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm really in the mood for a 'you captain a space ship, do space stuff' game, but I'm also crazy and hope to get one through KS. Now there's a game called Nova Cry that's more abstract and more Star Trek than Escape Velocity, but it seems to have dice-based combat and also they seem to have cheaped out on alien crew art (ie they all have the same generic 'look at all these aliens!' line up art). Oh well, either I wait for something new to come along or I suppose I can always do the sensible thing and buy one of the tried-and-tested known-good space ship games.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Flavivirus posted:

A question for the Kickstarter connoisseurs here: I'm making a card-based RPG and plan on kickstarting it soon (game's page is here). With the actual production of the card decks, I have two main options:

1) Bulk-print the decks complete with full-colour tuckbox, get them shipped to me, then ship them to backers for a total cost to backers of ~£11 + pledge cost.
2) Give backers coupon codes to get the deck printed at-cost, put in clear plastic deckboxes and shipped to them for £6 + shipping (ranging between £4.8 for US to £13.8 for Australia) - total cost to the backer of £11-£20 + pledge cost.

Number 1 has the benefit of better value for backers and gives me a stock of decks to sell through my website and at conventions, but come with a higher risk of international shipping (via Royal Mail) screwing things up for me and giving me lots of work posting parcels. Number 2 puts all the fulfillment work in the hands of professional card printers and shippers and means I don't need to worry about a minimum deck print run, but at a greater cost to backers and with a less well-presented product at the end.

Any advice?

This is a tough question to answer but it depends on what level of risk you are willing to take and what kind of support you think you will get. Option 1 is riskier to you because it requires investment and more effort but ideally you should print enough copies that have enough leftover to sell via distribution after the Kickstarter. Option 2 is safer, but less attractive to backers and other customers. So you should answer these questions to decide:

1. How much risk are you willing to invest in this project, in terms of time and money?

2. Are you comfortable with storing boxes of unsold cards either at your home or paying a warehouse to do it?

3. Do you really want to package and mail dozens or hundreds of boxes to backers? If not, would you consider paying a fulfillment house extra to do it for you?

4. Do you want to make this an ongoing business or is this a one off product? If it is a business, how long would it take you to make another product?

5. How much do you think your kickstarter will raise?

6. Did you budget any of the KS money for your own work?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait for WWWRPG: International Incident to come out so I can try to rope some of my pals at the FLGS into a one-shot. I even bought a microphone at a thrift shop. Nathan Pauleta said in a recent update things were ahead of schedule and it should be out this summer. IIRC he delivered WWWRPG early too, so I'm hoping he's right.

The rules were ready before he started the KS (and available with a $10 donation). For the final version, Nate believes in great looking products.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shadow of the Century is FATE: Miami Vice. Just finished their playtest so I bet you'll be able to back it this year.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oh hey, the last 25% of my click clack lumberjack finally shipped after only 9 months of delays, stubborn lack of communication and reused components from the previous game.

You'd think for a game that was literally already published minus minor rules changes and given that they apparently still had components sitting around a warehouse from that publication they were planning on reusing, it would've been a little smoother.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Golden Bee posted:

The rules were ready before he started the KS (and available with a $10 donation). For the final version, Nate believes in great looking products.

Yeah, I know, I meant the physical version, I should've been more clear. A great looking product, as you said, will be easier to rope them in with than a cheap printed out copy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Oh hey, the last 25% of my click clack lumberjack finally shipped after only 9 months of delays, stubborn lack of communication and reused components from the previous game.

You'd think for a game that was literally already published minus minor rules changes and given that they apparently still had components sitting around a warehouse from that publication they were planning on reusing, it would've been a little smoother.

Figured it was Mayday. I backed Viceroy, and am now waiting for a replacement for the replacement of the box, because they're rather ship multiple times than pack the boxes in a good way.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

This is a tough question to answer but it depends on what level of risk you are willing to take and what kind of support you think you will get. Option 1 is riskier to you because it requires investment and more effort but ideally you should print enough copies that have enough leftover to sell via distribution after the Kickstarter. Option 2 is safer, but less attractive to backers and other customers. So you should answer these questions to decide:

1. How much risk are you willing to invest in this project, in terms of time and money?

2. Are you comfortable with storing boxes of unsold cards either at your home or paying a warehouse to do it?

3. Do you really want to package and mail dozens or hundreds of boxes to backers? If not, would you consider paying a fulfillment house extra to do it for you?

4. Do you want to make this an ongoing business or is this a one off product? If it is a business, how long would it take you to make another product?

5. How much do you think your kickstarter will raise?

6. Did you budget any of the KS money for your own work?

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I'm looking into fulfilment houses - certainly that'd make international shipping easier, and probably be a better use of my time that packing and mailing hundreds of boxes. It'll be part of a business - I've already successfully kickstartered one game and published a couple of others, and those have run at enough of a profit that I'd be happy to cover the investment but would like to use Kickstarter to minimise the risk and gauge that there's an actual market for the game before I commit too heavily to it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I know, I meant the physical version, I should've been more clear. A great looking product, as you said, will be easier to rope them in with than a cheap printed out copy.

Well, the illustrated playbooks are out there. It's not like players need to browse the rulebook of a bloody * world hack.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Speaking of offset print runs, Red Markets has revealed that the 48k and 52k stretch goals will make the book an offset print run and in full color, respectively: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets/posts/1591565

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Speaking of offset print runs, Red Markets has revealed that the 48k and 52k stretch goals will make the book an offset print run and in full color, respectively: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets/posts/1591565

This update also has a preview section of what a full-color book would look like, and the section itself is the Combat rules chapter

quote:

1. Initiative

• The Market rolls one Red die for every PC involved in the combat. If the PCs are outnumbered, add another Red for every additional Market force
• Players roll one Black each and add their SPD
• Players declare from highest to lowest numbers, after their SPD is added. The Market uses Red dice from the pool to place Market forces in-between their numbers. This is called the initiative order. (For instance, the players rolled and the Market got a 10, 4, and 1. Bill goes frst with 11, Thug A goes next with a 10, Melanie got an 8, DeMarcus 7, Thug B goes at 4. The Market is out of forces, so the 1 is dropped and the initiative order established)

2. Declare, Spend, and Resolve

• The highest initiative player or Market force declares a tactic, buys a roll, and resolves the action.
• As the round continues, twitches and freebies are demanded by the actions of Market forces or used at the discretion of the player. Both twitches and freebies are unbound initiative order.

3. Deal Damage and Assess Penalties

• Damage is recorded directly after the tactic that caused it. Damage is always the Black. Hit location is always the Red. The diference between Kill and Stun damage is determined by the weapon used. The damage is unmodifed by extra spends unless the gear is specifcally upgraded.
• If using the Alternative Rule: Deadly Damage (p. XX), the Market rolls Black/Red to determine how much damage the PC takes rather than using the results of a failed twitch.
• Assess and implement any penalties as a result of health or Humanity loss.

4. Repeat

• After everyone has acted, the combat round ends. Twitches unspent by the end of the round are discarded (unless the character is specifcally using upgraded gear that allows them to be spent). The initiative order cycles back to the highest player and repeats until the confict ends.

Experienced RPG players can probably fgure out combat from the short list above. What follows is a more detailed description of each element in the combat round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So, significant Darkest Night 2E update today. In short, they've decided to waive all gameplay-related stretch goals and just pack all of that into every 2E box regardless of whether they reach the previously set goals or not (though non-gameplay stretch goals like the organizer and engraved dice, etc remain in play). But the flip side of that is that they are now only intending to print enough copies to fulfill the Kickstarter with some wiggle room for replacements, etc. So if you were planning to wait and pick it up in stores, that's probably not going to be possible unless the store backed the Kickstarter.

Victory Point Games posted:

As the publisher of this game, therefore, we are making an executive decision on behalf of you, our loyal customers backing Darkest Night 2. Since it seems clear to us that we will not be printing this game in quantities sufficient to sell to distributors and stores who do not pledge during this Kickstarter (making this campaign’s Big Box “Everything” Edition of Darkest Night a very collectable item, indeed!), we have decided to unlock all gameplay stretch goals in this campaign, effective immediately. This does not include non-gameplay stretch goals (e.g., the organizer tray, engraved dice, and designer’s notes), which will remain locked pending sufficient project funding.

Essentially, the money this Kickstarter campaign is raising (beyond the cost to print enough games for you) can either be used to print a few hundred more games (which VPG would sell directly at full retail and shipping) OR be used to stuff your games with this extra content on our dime. We are choosing the latter.