Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone know anything about this Nove Cry game? Apparently it's a second printing because the first one wasn't available at retail, and it looks like a pretty decent 4x-ish style game.

It looked pretty interesting until I saw that Discovery Table and did a giant "nope." It ranges from losing crew (strictly bad) to getting VP (strictly good) on an equal distribution scale, which means that you either get hosed or get good poo poo with about equal probability. Shame, since I liked the idea of having your ship represented by crew, captain and ship itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Tanto Cuore campaign is actually doing five campaigns at once, including local crowdfunding sites for each of the new translations they want to do. Has anybody ever done anything like that before?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: although really the mechanical side of things was completed a while ago because he sent it out to backers. And the setting stuff was written by someone else ages ago. We've been waiting on Chapter 9, which is the GMing advice chapter, for over 300 days now.

What the christ. I'm pretty sure I could write a chapter on GMing advice within 300 days if my life loving depended on it (which in a way kinda sorta does for GMS)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

what exactly am i looking at here

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

paradoxGentleman posted:

what exactly am i looking at here

It's a deck building game. Each player tries to build the best deck of maids from the available maids on the table before the game ends. This kickstarter is for not just a new printing of the base game and four expansions in English, but also translations of the base game in French, Spanish, German and Italian.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Tanto Cuore 'Love' Pillow

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

It's literally a pillow with the word "love" stitched on it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

boom boom boom posted:

The Tanto Cuore campaign is actually doing five campaigns at once, including local crowdfunding sites for each of the new translations they want to do. Has anybody ever done anything like that before?

I've seen a few do multiple crowdfunding sites at once, but usually it was just scuzzy poo poo like doing an indiegogo flexible funding on the side. Why the hell indiegogo let's you do that and it hasn't caused them to crash and burn still confuses me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

It looked pretty interesting until I saw that Discovery Table and did a giant "nope." It ranges from losing crew (strictly bad) to getting VP (strictly good) on an equal distribution scale, which means that you either get hosed or get good poo poo with about equal probability. Shame, since I liked the idea of having your ship represented by crew, captain and ship itself.
Yeah, that struck me as odd too. Like, it doesn't fit the rest of the game as presented.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

It's literally a pillow with the word "love" stitched on it

I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin, but I can't imagine walking around in public with that tote (bag).

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ropes4u posted:

I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin, but I can't imagine walking around in public with that tote (bag).

or sending any of those postcards to anyone I know or care about

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

boom boom boom posted:

Giochi regularly run campaigns on their own site alongside the Kickstarter. The KS is usually for the English language edition and their own campaigns are for foreign language as well.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

or sending any of those postcards to anyone I know or care about

Happy Birthday Mom!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I received a Tokaido collector's edition in the mail today.

What the gently caress was I thinking

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

signalnoise posted:

I don't know, is it bad?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know, is it bad?

It's just a really expensive version of a like 25 dollar game

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

signalnoise posted:

Ah, so it's a "drunkenly bought entire series of Mama's Family off of eBay" level of regret, got it. We've all done that before. Speaking of, there's a Prestige Edition of the Mistborn board game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

It might resell well , given that most of the miniatures are exclusive. Also that Tokaido is a pretty mindless game but weirdly relaxing for reasons I can't really articulate. Maybe it's because the art is pretty as hell and in typically "calm" colors.

Edit: Looks like it's selling on Ebay for about $200-300: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=tokaido%20kickstarter&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So jealous of the people that got painted minis...I'm poo poo at painting and would really prefer minis to the little meeples that come with the basic game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I mean, it's a VERY nice overpriced version of a decent boardgame at least? Like, of the dumb boardgame impulse moves to do it's at least on the side of 'probably dumb but at least you get a nice thing out of it'.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Hellywood is a noir-fantasy game about a city dealing with crime and secrets - and the demons from hell who moved in are the least of your problems. The kickstarter is for an English translation of the RPG; there's an French-based crowdsourcing program to fund a campaign called Justice of Angels. I admit to backing because I'm a sucker for stuff like this (I backed Deadlands Noir, for instance), and it's dice mechanics involve craps, like System Mastery's own Duckman RPG.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. I've played that game IRL a few times, it's a lot of fun.

Tanto Cuore isn't really all that bad a game. It falls into the pile of games that are "Dominion but..." I've only played the base and it's not bad by any means. At least not any worse than Ascension or Star Realms. There's a lot of different elements going on that are added that vary from meh to interesting, but largely nothing ground breaking. If this were to have a bland and generic theme like Dominion, it'd probably have not received as much attention, but it'd probably get more play in more public gaming groups.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I am likely sending mine straight to eBay, the wait and QC issues have soured me to a game I haven't even played yet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Tanto Cuore isn't really all that bad a game. It falls into the pile of games that are "Dominion but..." I've only played the base and it's not bad by any means. At least not any worse than Ascension or Star Realms. There's a lot of different elements going on that are added that vary from meh to interesting, but largely nothing ground breaking. If this were to have a bland and generic theme like Dominion, it'd probably have not received as much attention, but it'd probably get more play in more public gaming groups.

I mean, that's not really high praise to begin with and neither of those games make me literally too embarrassed to play in public.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It could be an excellent, standout example of its genre, but even if it is, trying to convince people that you're just playing it for the rules seems like an uphill battle.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

I am likely sending mine straight to eBay, the wait and QC issues have soured me to a game I haven't even played yet.

It's so easy to want a game and want to play it and not want to play it 2 years or whatever later. Crazy, right!?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Tanto Cuore isn't really all that bad a game. It falls into the pile of games that are "Dominion but..." [...] If this were to have a bland and generic theme like Dominion, it'd probably have not received as much attention, but it'd probably get more play in more public gaming groups.

If Tanto Cuore had a bland and generic theme like Dominion then it would be Dominion, because Tanto Cuore literally is Dominion reskinned with anime tittygirl art. Stop defending it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

It's so easy to want a game and want to play it and not want to play it 2 years or whatever later. Crazy, right!?

I was willing to pony out the cash for what I knew to be a light game, but I was sold as a beautiful but light game and I was ok with that. 2 years later QC issues and the publishers ability to communicate honestly have ruined the game for me.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

If Tanto Cuore had a bland and generic theme like Dominion then it would be Dominion, because Tanto Cuore literally is Dominion reskinned with anime tittygirl art. Stop defending it.

It makes me respect you more to know you haven't played that game, but my understanding is that you're actually wrong on this (though I haven't played the game either). I believe it actually pioneered the "entomb" mechanic later seen in Valley of the Kings. The mechanic was, uh.. themed differently.. but I remember game design people thinking it was an interesting idea at the time, and that it was implemented well in this terrible, terrible game.

I'm sorry if this gives you some sort of cognitive dissonance pain that there are sometimes good parts to bad things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jmzero posted:

It makes me respect you more to know you haven't played that game, but my understanding is that you're actually wrong on this (though I haven't played the game either). I believe it actually pioneered the "entomb" mechanic later seen in Valley of the Kings. The mechanic was, uh.. themed differently.. but I remember game design people thinking it was an interesting idea at the time, and that it was implemented well in this terrible, terrible game.

I'm sorry if this gives you some sort of cognitive dissonance pain that there are sometimes good parts to bad things.

OK, that I was not aware of. What I am aware of is the time someone put up pictures of half a dozen or more Dominion cards next to their exact clones in Tanto Cuore, and the gushing early review on BGG that said "Copper, Silver, Gold, Estates and Provinces all cost $1 more, so it's a totally different game, guys!".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

signalnoise posted:

Man, I want to keep this game after the wait, but I really don't think I'm gonna have fun playing it at this point. Maybe I'll trade it with a friend.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Red Markets is in its last 3 days https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets/description

We've unlocked a a ton of stuff so far. Back it now to get the best possible value for the project. Only one stretch goal left at $64k!

Added to the corebook:

The Loss (16K)
Best Practices (24K)
Pregens and MBA (32K)
Color (52K)

PDF Releases (for everyone at Ubiq and up)

Trabajo (20K)
Le Corbusier (28K)
War (40K)
The Carrion Economy (44K)
The Trades (56K)

Community Enhancement

Lifelines (36K)
Off-set (48K)
Playmat (Social)
GM Screen (Social)
Lost Radio (Social)
RPPR Preens (Social)
Taker Journals (Social)
Designer Commentary (Social)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Man, I want to keep this game after the wait, but I really don't think I'm gonna have fun playing it at this point. Maybe I'll trade it with a friend.

My wife watched the play through and decided we are keeping it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dedman Walkin posted:

Hellywood is a noir-fantasy game about a city dealing with crime and secrets - and the demons from hell who moved in are the least of your problems. The kickstarter is for an English translation of the RPG; there's an French-based crowdsourcing program to fund a campaign called Justice of Angels. I admit to backing because I'm a sucker for stuff like this (I backed Deadlands Noir, for instance), and it's dice mechanics involve craps, like System Mastery's own Duckman RPG.

This is extremely my poo poo, thanks for the link.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I got my my print copy of the new Bulldogs in the mail yesterday. No shipping notice, of course.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone know anything about this Nove Cry game? Apparently it's a second printing because the first one wasn't available at retail, and it looks like a pretty decent 4x-ish style game.

I can't say anything about the game, but I was shocked that it actually delivered. The creator's first attempt at Nova Cry (which was funded) failed after his publisher bailed/swindled him/whatever, then he did Era, which we're still waiting on, which since Nova Cry actually released, maybe, maybe might deliver? Then while that had good vibes, did Nova Cry again, then delivered Nova Cry before Era? and is now reprinting Nova Cry? I decided not to back NC after learning more of the background, which I didn't know about when backing Era (at a thankfully low level).

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

NTRabbit posted:

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

This is a late response but my wife and I look for games that are 2-player co-op friendly (although we play with a group of friends a couple times a month) and at first we skipped on Zombicide because of the price but managed to get it on sale. We had so much fun with it that we ended up getting a bunch of extras for it and decided to paint the minis since zombies are fairly easy to do. The best part though was that we could play 2-player with 3 survivors each!

Then we noticed that Black Plague had a bunch of improvements and better models and really nice dashboards.

That of course led us to Massive Darkness which has all that and appears to scratch that fantasy/D&D/dungeon crawl itch we both have.

Gateway drug. I know.

But whether we paint them or not, the game mechanics work well for us. Our rational is that Warhammer is cool but overly complicated and can be very expensive to invest in. But to have a game with cool minis where all you need is the core game (extras are extras and not necessary) and a simple rule set is refreshing in my opinion. So the CMON premium price isn't too bad from that perspective. Hell, with all the stretch goals, the kickstarter pledge is a decent deal for all those miniatures (when compared to Games Workshop prices). I might be rationalizing but still, it looks like fun.

The only problem is that the original Zombicide may be rendered obsolete when we get this one, especially with the Black Plague crossover. Either way, Zombicide has been played many times with friends and by ourselves and we even invested in a heavy varnish to help protect the painted figures.

Little side-note, most recent stretch goal is a female elf in armor that doesn't have boobie cups which I thought was fairly progressive for a fantasy game.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Though everyone in the game tends to have really dumb poses, and not dumb as in sexist but just dumb as in "son you gonna fall over".

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Terrible Opinions posted:

Though everyone in the game tends to have really dumb poses, and not dumb as in sexist but just dumb as in "son you gonna fall over".

It's understandable if you don't like the stylized look but I think it's pretty rad!

(Most recent stretch goal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

inkblottime posted:

It's understandable if you don't like the stylized look but I think it's pretty rad!

(Most recent stretch goal)

I agree with almost everything you said and am backing the game because there is tons of stuff in there I'll use, but that one is awful. First word that comes to mind is spindly. The legs, tail and spear give it four things that look like they'll snap easily. I also really hate the proportions on the Living Construct.

The inconsistent theme with Vikings, Mummies and everything in between doesn't bother me , but I can get why people brought it up. It should provide enough room to add a whole other bunch of standard fantasy things like skeletons, dark elves and weird outliers like bullywugs, so fingers crossed.