Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm a fan of this feature Koop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clawson will be ok. They finally got an indoor facility up and running, they're starting to recruit better, but poo poo, it wasn't even a "bare cupboard" situation at Wake, there wasn't even a drat cupboard when Dave arrived.

E: Ron Wellman is a hell of an AD too and I think he realizes this is very much the long game they're playing right now.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2016

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TomFornelli/status/738142679972745216

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hard pass, also he showed his dick to his team. Talk about mixed messaging!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
HOLY poo poo LET'S TALK ABOUT THE BIG TEN

UNTOUCHABLE

Mark Dantonio - Michigan State. The Rodney Dangerfield of the college game. The only one in conference to beat Urbz since he came to Columbus (twice!), Dantonio's won three conference titles, won the Rose Bowl, and turned Sparty from the little brother to the big brother. They're kinda stuck playing second fiddle behind Ohio State and Michigan in the Big Ten East, at least in terms of national perception, but all that means is a permanent "No one respects us" card for Dantonio to play. If anyone lets him leave East Lansing they're a fool.

Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern. Probably the best player in the program's history and probably the best coach as well. (Note: I did no research on this and don't care to) It's terrifying to think that Fitz has been the head coach for a decade and is still just 41 years old. He's an alum and Northwestern through and through, and there does remain a remote possibility that he'll wake up one day and decided it's the right time/place to leave, maybe like the Bears or something I dunno, but if he wanted to go bigger and better in the college game he could have by now.

Urban Meyer - Ohio State. If you don't think that Saban is the best coach in the game it probably means you think Meyer is, and saying they're 1A and 1B isn't disrespecting either man. All he's done since leaving his heart in Gainesville is go 50-4 with the first ever playoff title in the school's trophy case. He's untouchable because you'd have to be the biggest dumbass in history to let him go, but given how his Florida tenure ended it's fair to question if he'll be at Ohio State for the long haul or if he'll want to get out of the game in the near future. Whatever he decides, it'll be on his, or most likely his doctor's, terms.

SOLID

Kirk Ferentz - Iowa. Amazing what running the regular season gets you. At 17 years he's second in tenure (tied with Bob Stoops behind Bill Snyder), and everyone who's been bitching for the majority of the decade about him and his contract has now shut up about it. At the very least the 2015 season should allow Ferentz to pick his exit instead of having it dictated for him. Whether he manages to create a plan of succession for his son or the school decides to call bert home remains to be seen, but Ferentz has earned the right to land his plane.

Jim Harbaugh - Michigan. I was very close to putting Harbaugh in the Untouchable category, simply because it's hard to see either side parting at this point, but when you burn as hard and as bright as he does things can come to a premature end if poo poo goes wrong. For all of his antics and actions the man can loving coach; he took Brady Hoke's scraps and turned them into a ten win team that went ten quarters without letting anyone score. He's also recruiting at a level that can make Michigan a national power again, which is the acceptable basement for him. I don't think it's out of the question to say if Harbaugh doesn't win or make an appearance in the national championship by the end of the decade, his Wolverine tenure could be considered a disappointment. For now he can tweet and plan satellite camps on actual satellites all he wants, but if he doesn't deliver the public perception on him will change in a flash.

Paul Chryst - Wisconsin. Considering that Barry Alvarez has managed to run off the two coaches who succeeded him, it's hard to call anyone in Madison anything more than solid. But similar to Pat Narduzzi at Pitt, Chryst had early success in year one and that leads to a solid foundation in year two, and Badger should be the favorite in the Big Ten West because there's no way Iowa can pull this undefeated poo poo off twice in a row. Whether or not Chryst is the long term solution will depend on how well he takes his AD telling him how to do his job. Literally.

UNDECIDED

Lovie Smith - Illinois. Considering the dreck that Illini football's been in since the Zooker won the first six games of his final season, getting Smith is a better haul than they deserve. Yes, Smith can coach because he got to the Super Bowl with the Sex Cannon as his QB, and he deserved better than what he got from the Bucs, but whether Lovie can connect with his players at the college level remains to be seen. If the expectation is for Illinois to be at the level of Ohio State and Michigan out of the game then Lovie will fail; if he's given time to build up the program then they might have a shot.

D.J. Durkin - Maryland. It's not been a great start to the Big Ten campaign for the Terps, and Durkin's got his work cut out for him. The idea that Under Armour would turn Maryland into the Oregon of the east hasn't worked out so far, and it remains to be seen how well Durkin can recruit in the northeast, where talent is in short supply. His division is brutal as well, so getting to the middle of the pack in a couple of years has to be seen as a win.

Tracy Claeys - Minnesota. A safe, uninspiring selection. He's on a short-term contract making relative chump change, so if he's not able to build on Jerry Kill's success then Claeys will be gone in a heartbeat. It's not the greatest vote of confidence from an AD and while any winning season will probably lead to an extension, it's just hard to see Minnesota becoming a factor, even in the Big Ten West. Then again, Iowa.

Chris Ash - Rutgers. Similar to Maryland but with even less to work with. For a program that's been around as long as they have, you'd think they'd be able to figure out a winning formula at some point. Trying to go toe to toe with Michigan for recruits is a losing battle, but it's one that Ash and Co. at least have to give a go at. Somehow, I can't shake the feeling that Greg Schiano is somehow going to pull at Petrino and end up back at Rutgers.

HEATING UP

Kevin Wilson - Indiana. Getting Indiana to a bowl game for the first time in a million billion years should mean that Wilson gets a lifetime contract and a statue of himself on the quad. But 20-41 in five years is still a rough mark, and if Indiana backslides Wilson could find himself on the outs. Make another bowl, and maybe win it this time, and Wilson could find himself with a wealth of opportunities, in Bloomington or elsewhere.

Mike Riley - Nebraska. Apparently the only qualification to be a coach at Nebraska after Bo Pelini is "Don't be an rear end in a top hat." Riley has the pedigree, but his Oregon State tenure wasn't setting the world on fire and Nebraska only made a bowl in spite of their 5-7 record. Husker thinks it should be a contender in the East and the conference in general, but it's doubtful that Riley is the person to get them there, and they can take the place of Miami as 80's powerhouse completely lost in the modern era.

James Franklin - Penn State. The line on Franklin was that he could coach, considering he had success at Vanderbilt at all places. But 14-12 in two years, being slammed by your QB on the way out the door, and life in a vicious division makes you wonder if Franklin's success at Vandy was due more to a power vacuum in the SEC East than his coach prowess. It also makes you wonder if Happy Valley's a place where you can win if both B.O.B. and Franklin fail out in short order. Digging up JoePa's corpse is an attractive idea to some, but not a route to victory unless you're a card-carrying member of NAMBLA.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Darrell Hazell - Purdue. He somehow got Kent State, Kent loving State, to within a game of the BCS, but Purdue has shown to be an even more helpless situation. 6-30 in three years, he probably should have been fired after last year's 2-10 effort but Purdue either didn't like the market or didn't have the funds to pay Hazell and a new coach. It's hard to see things getting any better and short of an absolute miracle, some other poor sucker will be given the chance to make Purdue football something other than a punchline.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 2, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

HE'S ON FIRE!

Darrell Hazell - Purdue. He somehow got Kent State, Kent loving State, to within a game of the BCS, but Purdue has shown to be an even more helpless situation. 6-30 in three years, he probably should have been fired after last year's 2-10 effort but Purdue either didn't like the market or didn't have the funds to pay Hazell and a new coach. It's hard to see things getting any better and short of an absolute miracle, some other poor sucker will be given the chance to make Purdue football something other than a punchline.

From everything I've heard it's the latter, combined with being a school that just doesn't seem to be prioritizing the team much either. In the big picture that's probably a good thing, given how many programs seem to run the school at other institutions, but football seems to becoming more and more of an afterthought. Their facilities aren't much, they got shithoused by an Illinois team that spent last year going through the motions after Beckman was fired, they have zero depth, and even playing in the far worse B1G division, I can't see how they get any more than 3 total wins this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

James Franklin - Penn State. The line on Franklin was that he could coach, considering he had success at Vanderbilt at all places. But 14-12 in two years, being slammed by your QB on the way out the door, and life in a vicious division makes you wonder if Franklin's success at Vandy was due more to a power vacuum in the SEC East than his coach prowess. It also makes you wonder if Happy Valley's a place where you can win if both B.O.B. and Franklin fail out in short order. Digging up JoePa's corpse is an attractive idea to some, but not a route to victory unless you're a card-carrying member of NAMBLA.

To say that Bill O'Brien "failed out" seems tremendously uncharitable by any metric.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Chris Ash - Rutgers. Similar to Maryland but with even less to work with. For a program that's been around as long as they have, you'd think they'd be able to figure out a winning formula at some point. Trying to go toe to toe with Michigan for recruits is a losing battle, but it's one that Ash and Co. at least have to give a go at. Somehow, I can't shake the feeling that Greg Schiano is somehow going to pull at Petrino and end up back at Rutgers.

Rutgers has had more success than Maryland in recent memory in football, has much better fan support, and better facilities. Peoples' memories are crowded because Fridge was really good a long loving time ago, and of course they have basketball success and lots of Under Armour money. But Rutgers is clearly a better football program.

They haven't really been around a long time, Rutgers moved up to the equivalent of the FBS level in the late 70s/early 80s. Before they were playing in what would today be considered the Patriot League. They've done just with standard Big Ten style mediocrity in recent memory.

So far they've had success recruiting against Michigan this year. Schiano also turned down a chance to come back this year, so I think that door is probably closed.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Toilet Mouth posted:

To say that Bill O'Brien "failed out" seems tremendously uncharitable by any metric.

I was under the impression he did a pretty good job being the first guy after Paterno who went to the NFL first opportunity.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

b0ng posted:

I was under the impression he did a pretty good job being the first guy after Paterno who went to the NFL first opportunity.

He did, and the Paterno crew still made his life hell:

quote:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”

“That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be [expletive] looking for a new coach.”

this came in response to his dismissing one of the last assistants who had served under Paterno

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
O'Brien owns, and I'm glad he left. Penn State didn't deserve him.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What happens to your contract as a coach if the team immediately gets death sentenced?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

What happens to your contract as a coach if the team immediately gets death sentenced?

Assuming it's not your fault, I guess the university would be on the hook for your buyout.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I suppose it's theoretically possible they could just keep you on at your salary if you were willing to try to pick up the pieces after the death penalty expired. The thing is, though, I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which a football program gets the death penalty without the head coach getting show-caused.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Hopefully a year's worth of salary while you and all the other coaches just happen to help students out in the weight room.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

computer parts posted:

Assuming it's not your fault, I guess the university would be on the hook for your buyout.

Basically look what happened at UAB.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rebel1608 posted:

I suppose it's theoretically possible they could just keep you on at your salary if you were willing to try to pick up the pieces after the death penalty expired. The thing is, though, I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which a football program gets the death penalty without the head coach getting show-caused.

You mean besides whatever mook decides to ride Baylors flaming ship down in a few months. yes, probably not getting the death penalty they've earned

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Think I'll do a quick one for the SEC.

UNTOUCHABLE

Nick Saban- Alabama: Right. Moving on...

Jim McElwain- Florida: Took what turned out to be a pretty crappy Florida team to the SECCG when everyone else in the division did various forms of self-implosion. Coached the kids up good; challenge now is to be more than "great because no one else is."

Dan Mullen- Mississippi State: Keeps on keeping on, though the job gets tougher now that Dak has hit the road. Six straight bowl games at Mississippi loving State is something else. The Jeffrey Simmons stuff is bad, but he's got the AD's backing on that nonsense unfortunately.

SOLID

Kirby Smart- Georgia: UGA's not really going to be that good in 2016, but 2017 is shaping up nicely. Has hit the ground running in Athens, recruiting his tail off and putting on a great show for spring practice. Has the AD and the state legislature kissing his rear end. Fine start, now go win some games.

Les Miles- LSU: I mean, they're not going to fire him now, so. He's a good coach, LSU, promise.

Bret Bielema- Arkansas: Rough start to last season after preseason hype, but finished strong with the OT madness against Ole Miss and trucking LSU in Baton Rouge. The West is a busy place, but Bert has Arkansas on fine footing.

UNDECIDED

Barry Odom- Missouri: I guess? There wasn't a whole lot of effort to this hire. The Mizzou renaissance of 2013-2014 was even more ridiculous than Florida's last season, with 2014 especially being a 6-6-worthy team playing dress-up as elite. Even if Missouri only stays around the level of "fine," he'll stick around.

Hugh Freeze- Ole Miss: Ole Miss cheats, Hugh Freeze is a cheater. But he also wins, so it'll take the NCAA for anything to happen to his seat.

HEATING UP

Butch Jones- Tennessee: If they don't win the East this season, they might never again, I swear. Has recruited well but still doesn't have the legitimate wins to back it up. Has to play Georgia in Athens this season so won't get the benefit of tearing UGA players' ACLs. Personally I think the guy's a lovely coach, long on hype and fake juice but short on Xs and Os. UT should win the East by default next season. Should.

Gus Malzahn- Auburn: Take away the absurdity against UGA and Bama in 2013, and there's no there there. The offense hasn't hit on all cylinders since everyone kinda figured it out, the defense has been a revolving door, and the team has gotten worse every year he's been there. Like the last guy! Auburn plays like 11 straight home games to start the year, but start it off with Clemson, so it could get ugly fast. Then again, it's Auburn, so watch them get to the playoffs this season. (Just kidding. They won't, and Gus might not survive 7-5.)

Mark Stoops- Kentucky: Has been so, so bad since getting that contract extension in 2014. Lost 6 in a row after that, and finished last season losing 6 of 7, including Vanderbilt! It's Kentucky, I know, but they've invested in the stadium and have had recent periods of legitimate success, so it would behoove him to actually make a bowl.

Will Muschamp- South Carolina: LOL. Spurrier took the program to new heights, then set course right back to the ditch at warp 9. They were awful last season, they'll be awful this season, but it won't be Coach Boom's fault. Other than Spurrier, USC's program is a historic non-entity so Muschamp would really have to stumble out of the gate to be in trouble. Why is his seat heating up, then? Because he'll likely do that.

Derek Mason- Vanderbilt: Was over his head in Year 1, but at least had Vandy back to spry, annoying levels in Year 2. So: Classic Vandy. Actually had two conference wins!

HE'S ON FIRE

Kevin Sumlin- Texas A&M: Revolving door at QB, annual post-October collapses, coaches making asses of themselves on Twitter....it's a mess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jones' seat is definitely warming up, especially now when it looks like their AD isn't long for this world in the face of the campus rape problems.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

HE'S ON FIRE

Kevin Sumlin- Texas A&M: Revolving door at QB, annual post-October collapses, coaches making asses of themselves on Twitter....it's a mess.

I guess hot seat's definition can vary, but if he wins 7 games this year (in the regular season) I don't think he gets fired. The buyout is pretty pricey, especially with oil prices what they are right now, and the Baylor stuff has has really helped get our struggles out of the spotlight.

Call me defeatist, but I think 7-9 wins a year in the SEC West is a pretty reasonable level of success for us; barring lucking into a generational, Briles-level innovator at HC I don't see us getting a lot higher than that at a consistent level. Not at this juncture anyway.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Tom Herman isn't the next head coach for either Texas or Texas A&M.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aah what the hell, here's a MACTION one. This is less about how likely guys are to get fired and more how likely they are to get hired elsewhere though.

UNTOUCHABLE
Rod Carey, NIU - NIU has continued to be a monster since like 2008. The MAC West still runs through them.

PJ Fleck - WMU - He's a weird motherfucker but he's done a hell of a job to turn WMU around.

SOLID
Chuck Martin - Miami - Chuck certainly has his work cut out for him, but there are signs of life from the Redhawks, and they're finally putting some money into facilities, which are terribly out of date, and quite honestly may lag behind the entire conference, including Eastern. He's recruited well and their defense has improved nicely so far.

Frank Solich, Ohio - Ohio's largely been mediocre to underwhelming, but this seems to be Frank's job for as long as he wants it.

UNDECIDED
Mike Neu - Ball State - New hire. Ball State basically vanished from the radar a couple years ago, but it's not impossible to do well here.

Mike Jinks - BGSU - New hire. Brought a lot of assistants from TTU and some reports from Lubbock were that we may have really found a gem. Did fantastic recruiting work in a very short time frame.

Lance Leipold - Buffalo - Jury's still out on him but Buffalo definitely found new life under Jeff Quinn (whom Buffalo was still a moron to fire, IMO) and it doesn't seem like Lance has really rocked the boat or anything.

Jason Candle - Toledo -New hire. In a pretty strange occurance, Jason wasn't on the ground in Ames for more than about 24 hours when Toledo called him to come back as their new head coach when Matt Campbell left for Iowa State. Apparently the kids love him and were thrilled to get him back.

John Bonamego - Central Michigan - Still pretty new to the scene.

HEATING UP
Chris Chreighton - EMU - Eastern is still largely a disaster but it's hard to tell yet if that's Chris' fault.

Paul Haynes - Kent State - He's a Kent State alum, and by all accounts he's one of the nicest guys in the conference. You have to wonder if Kent's troubles are less his fault and more a sign of bigger problems from the school as a whole. Dix Stadium got a desperately needed renovation, and the defense seems to have improved, but they're still badly in need of an offense. I really like Paul and I hope he can pull it out. This isn't a dead-end job like Eastern or UMass (:rip:). The man can coach and I hope Kent gives him the chance and backing to prove himself.

Terry Bowden - Akron - At the start of last year I may have put him under HE'S ON FIRE but Akron may not have the money to fire him even if they wanted to. Last year's 7-5 season with a Potato Bowl win over Utah State definitely helped, but it's hard to see Akron finding the next step. BGSU has won the MAC East almost by default the last few years, and obliterated the Zips 59-10 last year. The school is in the midst of a massive budget problem, which doesn't help matters at all. They're by no means a rudderless ship, but they may be stuck in MAC East mediocrity for a while, and may be in some trouble if Buffalo and Kent can get their legs back under them.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 6, 2016

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

DJExile posted:

Terry Bowden - Akron - At the start of last year I may have put him under HE'S ON FIRE but Akron may not have the money to fire him even if they wanted to. Last year's 7-5 season with a Potato Bowl win over Utah State definitely helped, but it's hard to see Akron finding the next step. BGSU has won the MAC East almost by default the last few years, and obliterated the Zips 59-10 last year. The school is in the midst of a massive budget problem, which doesn't help matters at all. They're by no means a rudderless ship, but they may be stuck in MAC East mediocrity for a while, and may be in some trouble if Buffalo and Kent can get their legs back under them.

I really don't know anything about Akron's program, but what are the general expectations there? My understanding is that it's a financially poor program on an unattractive campus in an unattractive area. Considering how bad they were before Bowden got there, isn't bowling on a fairly regular basis a pretty nice endpoint?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Veshpo posted:

I really don't know anything about Akron's program, but what are the general expectations there? My understanding is that it's a financially poor program on an unattractive campus in an unattractive area. Considering how bad they were before Bowden got there, isn't bowling on a fairly regular basis a pretty nice endpoint?

Hard to say. They built a new stadium for $61 million just a few years ago so safe to say they're not low expectations, but on the other hand, Terry's contract is mostly bonus-based, and his regular salary is one of the lowest in the conference. The tough thing is that a 6-win season isn't always a guarantee of a bowl invite in the MAC, and sometimes even 7 isn't.

For all I know they may be happy to hang around the 7-win mark, to be honest, but there are FCS teams that could get 7 wins with a MAC East schedule. They and Ohio are basically stuck in a sort of purgatory.

E: for what it's worth, this year's schedule for them is probably going to have 7 wins at the very best.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Goddammit now I'm gonna have to do all of the mid-majors and actually learn stuff about them instead of making poo poo up like I usually do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Goddammit now I'm gonna have to do all of the mid-majors and actually learn stuff about them instead of making poo poo up like I usually do.

The MAC is pretty quiet right now, to be honest. There were a bunch of new hires in the last 2 years so you won't have to do much.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
WELL SWEET JESUS IT'S KINDA EASY TO TALK ABOUT THE BIG 12 THAN THESE OTHER MONSTROSITIES

UNTOUCHABLE

Bill Snyder - Kansas State. If they name the stadium after you it generally means you're in a good place. At this point Snyder's main concern is coming up with a plan of succession better than "Ron Prince" because Grandpa can't come bail everyone out if they gently caress up again. He's coming up on 25 years at the helm and while he's certainly earned the right to pick his deboarding point, you kinda want to wonder if Snyder's sticking around just to lend some attractiveness to K-State in the increasingly unstable Big 12 and the chaos that might soon unfold.

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma. After all of the BS about "Big Game Bob" and how he can't win the Big One (despite the fact that, you know, he kinda did), making the Playoffs last year shuts everyone up for a while. With Texas still floundering and Baylor heading into their rightfully-earned exile, Oklahoma's the main player in the Big 12. Whether or not the conference can keep viable in the ever-increasing arms race or can stop punching itself in the dick isn't Stoops job to fix; he just has to keep winning games and let the problems sort themselves out.

Gary Patterson - TCU. From mid-major to major power, Patterson's rode the Frogs all the way. A minor step back last year isn't anything to panic about and Patterson's got the TCU job for as long as he wants. He'll also benefit from the vacuum left behind by Baylor in terms of recruits, since those who want to play in that heads-up tempo can go to Ft. Worth instead of Waco; I've never been to either place but I'd have to imagine being within spitting range of Dallas has to be better than Waco unless you like your BBQ's to be government-sponsored.

SOLID

Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State. Now a 48-year old man, Gundy seemed like he could have been on the outs a few years ago but he won a power struggle over his AD and now is in charge of Okie Lite. He's only in Solid because while he's won the conference (RIP Justin Blackman glad I never bought your throwback), he hasn't had the major national success that others in the conference had. But as long as T. Boone doesn't go broke with all the oil stuff happening, Gundy should be fine.

UNDECIDED

Mike Campbell - Iowa State. Good luck? He doesn't really have a ton to work with and won't benefit in the short term from Hawkeye remembering how to play football. His best hope is to find some gems in 'cruitin' and hope that the middle of the pack takes a tumble down. Campbell still has his work cut out for him.

David Beaty - Kansas. Yes, he lost every game last season and was astonishingly bad for a supposed Power 5 team, but it's not like he had anything to work with. If we're going to give Clawson at Wake a pass for having empty cupboards, Charlie Weis was tearing the copper out of the walls at Kansas. Plus it's not like anyone has any expectations for Jayhawk last season anyway; since Mangino won 12 games the program has only won 12 games total. Considering he's had to make BBQ out of a box of crayons and the lack of hope in Lawrence outside of basketball, it's pretty much fair to pretend last season didn't happen and start Beaty off fresh this year.

HEATING UP

Kliff Kingsbury - Texas Tech. If anyone could make the jump and fill Baylor's shoes Tejas Tech could be the popular candidate; Koach Kliffy K's got himself a QB that can win some games and that's generally enough to be competitive in the Big 12. If the D can go from "tire fire" to just "well it's 11 healthy bodies" or even a high mark of :mediocre: then TTU can be a player in the division. Otherwise, another year of hanging around the 7 win mark is going to make people wonder if Kingsbury got the keys to the kingdom a little too soon.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Jim Grobe - Baylor. Jim Grobe is not the long term answer at Baylor and everyone, including Grobe, knows that. The question is whether Grobe serves out the next six months and is given a hearty handshake and slap on the behind as he's escorted out the back, or whether he'll be the one installing screen doors on the Baylor sub as it ventures through whatever NCAA penalties get handed down. If there's any justice in the world Baylor will be quite toxic for a good long time, so it may make sense to keep Grobe around since no one worth their salt is going to want to hinge their reputation on making Baylor great again. But Grobe coached at Wake for the longest time so he'll be used to working with limited resources.

Charlie Strong - Texas. This very much feels like a good coach at the wrong place. Strong can coach, but his personal skills don't vibe with a place full of people high on their own farts, even moreso than Tuscaloosa. Jumping onto the life raft that was Miami may have been the smart plan for Strong this offseason, but pride wasn't going to let him leave Texas after just two years, even if he is a dead man walking now. Strong deserves a good long run at a school that will give him the support and space that he needs, unfortunately Texas is not and never will be that place.

Dana Holgorson - West Virginia. With a contract set to expire at the end of next season and neither side close to an agreement, it very much looks like Holgo the Magnificent will be coming down the mountain after this year. Whether or not he lands another head coaching job or goes back to being an OC depends on how well West Fuckin' Virginia does, 36-28 along with an Orange Bowl win carries some weight. You get the feeling that he'd be perfect to go out west to the Pac-12, but that's a wait and see.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 6, 2016

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I want to disagree with the Strong status, but can't. I think he's a good coach and will root for his success to the end, but am unsure if he can do enough to save himself this year.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 6, 2016

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

since Mangino won 12 games the program has only won 12 games total.

Was about to laugh my rear end off on this one, but realized you need to fix the year. They've won 12 games total since after the 2009 season, not since after 2007. Which is still very very bad!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Way off on Kliff Kingsbury.

He's in the solid category for at least 2 additional years, even with a terrible defense this year. Earliest his seat could heat up will be after the 2017 season if the defense stays awful.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Way off on Kliff Kingsbury.

He's in the solid category for at least 2 additional years, even with a terrible defense this year. Earliest his seat could heat up will be after the 2017 season if the defense stays awful.

He's just 19-19 through three years, that doesn't scream solid to me unless you're at a Kansas or something along those lines. But I think Mahomes is a good QB and Heisman dark horse and TTU can make some noise this year, so 8-9 wins would boost him into Solid for next season.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I could've sworn I've heard some grumbles about Kliff, and Tech has yet to wow the world at all, which considering the round robin, isn't a completely bad thing, but yeah, if Tech can't make make some noise with Baylor down and Texas fractured by idiots, then he deserves some flack in his direction. I mean, I don't want him gone, because who can say no to that sexiness, but I can understand if some fans are feeling frustrated especially after where Leach took them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's just 19-19 through three years, that doesn't scream solid to me unless you're at a Kansas or something along those lines. But I think Mahomes is a good QB and Heisman dark horse and TTU can make some noise this year, so 8-9 wins would boost him into Solid for next season.

You underestimate the amount of leeway Kingsbury has for being a Tech legend, and the administration and fan base understanding what a mess that Tuberville left the school in. 6 wins won't even have grumblings of him being on the hot seat. Only a disappointing 2017 could land him there.

So he's got at least a season before you can classify as heating up.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I could see him having two years before judgment day, yeah.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

I want to disagree with the Strong status, but can't. I think he's a good coach and will root for his success to the end, but am unsure if he can do enough to save himself this year.

I don't know, if it feels like we're right on the edge this year he could stick around with as few as 7 wins. Getting to and winning a bowl game is going to be pretty key. Beating OU again would help him immensely. I'm torn on whether beating ND would actually be good for him or not. If he beats ND people are immediately going to be talking about a playoff run, and then those hopes are going to crash and burn at some point. I think he might do better by setting expectations lower and then getting a signature win or two later in the season. But then again I think beating ND and OU and finishing with a bowl win gives him a pretty excellent chance of getting another year.

It will also help Strong if Tom Herman loses a few games this year.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 7, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:eng101: it's Matt Campbell at Iowa State, not Mike.

He's a pretty good recruiter and I'd imagine if he can get them consistently to 6-7 wins then he'll pretty quickly get the call to the next step up.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn just added a year to Malzahn's contact, now through 2020. Guess they wanted to quiet the chatter?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

D.N. Nation posted:

UNDECIDED

Barry Odom- Missouri: I guess? There wasn't a whole lot of effort to this hire. The Mizzou renaissance of 2013-2014 was even more ridiculous than Florida's last season, with 2014 especially being a 6-6-worthy team playing dress-up as elite. Even if Missouri only stays around the level of "fine," he'll stick around.

Considering it's his first season as head coach, Odom is in the UNTOUCHABLE category.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Considering it's his first season as head coach, Odom is in the UNTOUCHABLE category.

He said at the start that he was putting new hires in undecided. Odom's not the only one

E: In other news:

FB Scoops posted:

UCLA: Jim Mora has signed a two-year contract extension taking him through the 2021 season. Mora is 37-13 in four seasons leading the Bruins program, including four straight bowl trips and back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2013 and 2014.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DJExile posted:

He said at the start that he was putting new hires in undecided. Odom's not the only one

E: In other news:

Whoops. Anyways, I think Odom will be at Mizzou for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Back on the Strong topic, it occurs to me that this whole Baylor thing will definitely not hurt him when it comes time to decide his fate. Strong has established an image for himself as a guy who is serious about running a clean program, in particular when it comes to criminality. That's going to put that much more pressure on the school to stand by him, and there's already quite a bit. Plus if he has even a marginally better season he's going to be poised to take his recruiting to the next level. His success in recruiting so far has been in no small part because he sells parents on how he's going to mold junior into a fine young man. Parents can exert a lot of influence over these decisions. That's going to become an even bigger selling point in the aftermath of Baylorgeddon, and there's going to be one less competitor for in-state talent if Baylor is in shambles.

I don't think anything saves him if he turns in another losing season, but from where I'm standing it's kinda hard to see him getting fired if he wins 7+ during the regular season. I'm no longer standing by my thoughts about the importance of a bowl win, because the decision will likely be made one way or the other before any bowl game is played.

• Locked thread