Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meeksha
May 5, 2009

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
Don't take this as a self-promotion for my idiotic blog. It is a serious question...

I always respond to spam that comes to my work email, and a couple of months ago I started a blog to capture the responses. I have gained a nice following of people in my office... they're just bcc'd on the emails, but haven't followed me on my wordpress site. A few spread word recently, and I have gained around 100 views over the past couple of weeks. I seriously don't expect this to go anywhere, but want to cover my bases in case it does continue to grow.

So here is my question... if you look at my posts, you will see that I have completely cut my email address out of the thread. I have not publicly named the company that I work for... I'm sure a search of me on Google will lead to more info on me. Any advice on if I should go back and edit the images to cut back on the information shared? I am not sure how this could come back to bite me, but I feel like it could. Any advice or ideas on how I can cover my rear end? Part of the reason I'm on the fence is that I have noticed that quite a lot of trolls/bloggers that do similar things have left their names on image.

Blog is here for reference: https://spamjammerblog.wordpress.com/

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Meeksha posted:

Don't take this as a self-promotion for my idiotic blog. It is a serious question...

I always respond to spam that comes to my work email, and a couple of months ago I started a blog to capture the responses. I have gained a nice following of people in my office... they're just bcc'd on the emails, but haven't followed me on my wordpress site. A few spread word recently, and I have gained around 100 views over the past couple of weeks. I seriously don't expect this to go anywhere, but want to cover my bases in case it does continue to grow.

So here is my question... if you look at my posts, you will see that I have completely cut my email address out of the thread. I have not publicly named the company that I work for... I'm sure a search of me on Google will lead to more info on me. Any advice on if I should go back and edit the images to cut back on the information shared? I am not sure how this could come back to bite me, but I feel like it could. Any advice or ideas on how I can cover my rear end? Part of the reason I'm on the fence is that I have noticed that quite a lot of trolls/bloggers that do similar things have left their names on image.

Blog is here for reference: https://spamjammerblog.wordpress.com/

Thanks in advance.

You know there are multiple emails with your email address still displayed, right?

Meeksha
May 5, 2009

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
HA! I edited it out of all of them as I've been going up until the ones I put up yesterday. Geez... obviously I'm really on top of things...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not funny enough to get fired for. What kind of company do you work for -- big corporation, startup where your CEO finds the emails hilarious?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Unrelated to this blog, but a girl in my town openly blogs about using amphetamines.

With her full name and location and everything.

Don't do that.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not funny enough to get fired for. What kind of company do you work for -- big corporation, startup where your CEO finds the emails hilarious?

Looking at OPs email adress, I'm gonna guess big corporation.

EDIT: puting your name into google, your LinkedIn with where you work is the first thing that comes up, so removing your email adress alone won't matter. Remove your name or replace it by a fake one.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 29, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
There is no benefit or reason to have any of your real information on this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or, really, why use your real work email account for trolling spammers in the first place. Nothing good can come out of this, just use a throwaway gmail one or something instead.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Meeksha posted:

HA! I edited it out of all of them as I've been going up until the ones I put up yesterday. Geez... obviously I'm really on top of things...

Did you try to edit out your name and email address? They're still in all the posts. I just accessed them for the first time now, so it's not a caching issue.

Did any of the spammers respond to your replies?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
You should really write a robots.txt. Amazingly there aren't any archived snapshots yet, though it's likely there are on other webcrawlers/indices.

But that's secondary. What you need more than anything is to get in the mindset that everything you post will be logged and saved forever, and can be recalled at any time. The sheer hubris of disclosing one's full name in a blog dedicated to posting private correspondence is astounding. It might even be illegal, as in many jurisdictions it's illegal to make audio recordings of conversations without the consent of all parties, so I'd presume that some places there would be similar stipulations for text. The legal thread would know more than my armchair "expertise" though.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Google showing a snapshot of your page in cache

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KxsIVV6BD90J:https://spamjammerblog.wordpress.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Also robots the entire domain.

• Locked thread