Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Happy 30th Dragon Quest! Which DQ game is your favorite?

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/735884911899496448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's Dragon Quest Summer in the Year of Classic Gaming.

Dragon Quest 4 and 8 reign supreme!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

5 and 8 are the only ones I've really played more than a few minutes so I'm going to say those. Really looking forward to the 3DS ports of 7 and 8 for some Summer gaming

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I only played the Pokemon ripoff but it was actually a lot of fun, I remember the breeding system being pretty intricate for a GBC game.

Best Dragon Quest game to get if I own a 3DS?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

C-Euro posted:

I only played the Pokemon ripoff but it was actually a lot of fun, I remember the breeding system being pretty intricate for a GBC game.

Get 4

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

That may be th ebest tweet ever.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Dragon Quest Heroes is $40 on Steam

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Hopefully they'll announce the US release dates for VII/VIII 3DS soon.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

That game was so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love V and VIII, but I don't think any of them aren't good. I had played a few hours of OG VII but then they announced the 3DS version so I figured I'd wait.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my favorites are 4 & 8

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All my favorite slimes, cure-slimes, slime kings, metal King slimes, metal slimes, baubbles, metal baubbles, trees, imps, skeletons, Wyverns, and don't forget healie, come in for a massive party!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

All my favorite slimes, cure-slimes, slime kings, metal King slimes, metal slimes, baubbles, metal baubbles, trees, imps, skeletons, Wyverns, and don't forget healie, come in for a massive party!

Silvio Berlusconi's Puff Puff Parties

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal King Slimes are crafty motherfuckers.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
metal Slime smart phone

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

happy birthday to some of the most charming RPGs ive ever played. i cant loving wait for 8 to be out on 3ds

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I played through 1-6 on my phone over the winter, you can play with one hand which is good cause I never get a seat on the subway.

One was good I guess, you just kill slimes and stuff...

Two was pretty good it's like the same but you have 3 dudes so you actually use the spells and stuff.

Three wasn't bad, you make your own chars and stuff. You can switch them out but I'm not sure why you would. There's a crazy plot twist near the end!

Four was tight, I remembered it from the NES and it still owns. It's kind of conventional with no real weirdness in customizing your party, just different types of dudes who level up. I like the merchant guy and selling his lunch for 10 bucks every day.

Five was really cool. You catch monsters and have them fight in your party but then later in the game you have a family and it felt a little rude to kick them out of the party en lieu of like a mud monster or weird apple. I had some demon dude who was really strong and some slimes for healing.

Six was a little less out there, there's a bunch of dudes and you can change classes like in three. The plot kind of disappears for a while in the middle and you just wander around and find stuff to do.

I heard the mobile version of eight sucks so I guess I'll play seven and eight on a 3ds. I hope they are good cause all the other ones have been sweet as hell.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I played through 1-6 on my phone over the winter, you can play with one hand which is good cause I never get a seat on the subway.

One was good I guess, you just kill slimes and stuff...

Two was pretty good it's like the same but you have 3 dudes so you actually use the spells and stuff.

Three wasn't bad, you make your own chars and stuff. You can switch them out but I'm not sure why you would. There's a crazy plot twist near the end!

Four was tight, I remembered it from the NES and it still owns. It's kind of conventional with no real weirdness in customizing your party, just different types of dudes who level up. I like the merchant guy and selling his lunch for 10 bucks every day.

Five was really cool. You catch monsters and have them fight in your party but then later in the game you have a family and it felt a little rude to kick them out of the party en lieu of like a mud monster or weird apple. I had some demon dude who was really strong and some slimes for healing.

Six was a little less out there, there's a bunch of dudes and you can change classes like in three. The plot kind of disappears for a while in the middle and you just wander around and find stuff to do.

I heard the mobile version of eight sucks so I guess I'll play seven and eight on a 3ds. I hope they are good cause all the other ones have been sweet as hell.

good news, they are

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Fungah! posted:

good news, they are

I can't believe you read that whole post, to respond to what it says

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dragon quest is the bbest, some of my best gaming memories wwere staying home sick nd tearing through mmost of 8 over the course of like a week playing it non-stop. fuckng stoked to play the 3ds port when it comes out, nd i'm pumped to give 7 another shot too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

idk how i feel about the ~real hero~ in dragonquest 5, i want to say it was clever to have him be the only one to learn insanely powerful party buffs and barriers that you absolutely needed to beat the game so he was "mandatory" but it also felt a little underhanded??

idk i guess i was just upset I couldnt keep using my tomato friend for everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

idk how i feel about the ~real hero~ in dragonquest 5, i want to say it was clever to have him be the only one to learn insanely powerful party buffs and barriers that you absolutely needed to beat the game so he was "mandatory" but it also felt a little underhanded??

idk i guess i was just upset I couldnt keep using my tomato friend for everything

I used my whole family for the finale because it felt thematically appropriate

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

i wifed not-bulma because she was the clear morally right choice but she just didnt have poo poo on golem, sorry. daughter was useful for constantly twirling the heal stone

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Happy birthday, Dragon Quest!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I can't believe you read that whole post, to respond to what it says

ir eally fuckng love dragon quest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

this. 5's endgme was cool

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm also waiting on playing 8 for the 3DS re-release. It seems like a goddamn sweet game and I know I'll enjoy it more by playing the remake. I also can't wait to try 7. I'm waiting for work to slow down to play more DQ Heroes, that's such a goddamn fun game and it's absolutely gorgeous after I upgraded my graphics card.

As summer starts I think I might play through 4 again on my smartphone to play with party dialogue and play DQ6 on my 3DS to warm up for 7 & 8. And let's not forget upcoming Dragon Quest Builders and the big kahuna: Dragon Quest XI for Playstation 4 and 3DS. I'm gonna buy a PS4 so I can buy that game twice.

What a goddamn epic and fun gaming series Dragon Quest is. Thank you Imp Zone for introducing me to the JRPG gaming love of my life.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

this. 5's endgme was cool

the final stretch of the game is loving brutal lol. enormous 4 hour dungeon with multiple super hard bosses

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bolverkur posted:

I'm also waiting on playing 8 for the 3DS re-release. It seems like a goddamn sweet game and I know I'll enjoy it more by playing the remake. I also can't wait to try 7. I'm waiting for work to slow down to play more DQ Heroes, that's such a goddamn fun game and it's absolutely gorgeous after I upgraded my graphics card.

As summer starts I think I might play through 4 again on my smartphone to play with party dialogue and play DQ6 on my 3DS to warm up for 7 & 8. And let's not forget upcoming Dragon Quest Builders and the big kahuna: Dragon Quest XI for Playstation 4 and 3DS. I'm gonna buy a PS4 so I can buy that game twice.

What a goddamn epic and fun gaming series Dragon Quest is. Thank you Imp Zone for introducing me to the JRPG gaming love of my life.

Thank you for hyping me up more on my favorite game series of all time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ic ant believe we're getting a new draqon quest, persona nd final fantasy in one year. allahu akbar

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh gently caress I keep forgetting about DQXI. The monsters all looked incredible in DQ Heroes and seeing a full fledged console DQ game on PS4 will be soooo good

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it's goona be sooooo goo'd

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

Lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bolverkur posted:

Lmao

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, and yeah, I will be buying both versions

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

my first encounter with Dragon Quest was actually as a kid, when I got this game because I read such good reviews about it in N64 magazine and wanted Pokémon in color

it was kinda too tough for me, but I had fun playing all the same. this series has gone on as Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker on DS and I'm stoked to give them a try. I hope the Joker 3, the newly released 3DS game, makes it to US/EU.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My first experience was last year when I played 1 through 8 (minus 7, as previously explained). 8 in particular is just such an amazing game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQVIII is the only old guard JRPG I can think of that kept the open world design of the NES even onto the PS2 era and beyond. FF abandoned it. SMT kept doing their thing. The world in VIII felt so huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My first experience with Dragon Quest was when it was called dragon warrior and Nintendo power sent it to us for free. I played the rest as they came out and it was a special day in my house. My dad and I played 1-4 together and then later I bought 7 and destroyed that. I beat 8 my first year of college. God bless this series.

• Locked thread