Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

let's all be jealous as gently caress of those among us who got to go to the Live

Just have to live vicariously through them until the 4th Live DV is announced. All this info and photos and announcements flowing out of the Live is just making me more hype for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

let's all be jealous as gently caress of those among us who got to go to the Live

4th live was incredible. I’ll post trip report when I get home tonight or maybe tomorrow. But tldr is “A+++ experience would try for foreigner lotto again”

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Zep.........

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
?????????

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, your name's back

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Looks like you misspelled the middle part though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress you!!!!!

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I still feel bad I forgot to try to meet up with anyone from here while there. Curse you reddit server which is where most of the people I know are!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

As the world knows, I love live. Perhaps you're mystified by this. Perhaps you've never seen the anime. Perhaps you simply haven't awakened the power. Perhaps you're simply wanting to refresh yourself before the upcoming movie, like myself and fellow idolaters.

Whatever the case, you are cordially invited to join for a marathon stream of Love Live! Sunshine!! on New Year's Day! Both seasons + MVs + anything else I can dig up. Looking at 10-11 hours. Whatever, you're not working anyway.

The movie's out on the 4th in Japan. God willing, we'll get it in theaters over here in reasonable time.

January 1st, 2019, 12pm PST/3pm EST/8 pm UST at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh sure, don't bother converting to KST!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Discriminating against Europeans! :catbert:
Will only be able to stay for the first half of S1 at most.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it's better than when we did OG, when it was impromptu and at a terrible time for everyone

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh poo poo, kohaku acknowledged the AX performance

https://twitter.com/ShepherdWilloww/status/1079682828558684161

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This! At the top of the hour!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

As the world knows, I love live. Perhaps you're mystified by this. Perhaps you've never seen the anime. Perhaps you simply haven't awakened the power. Perhaps you're simply wanting to refresh yourself before the upcoming movie, like myself and fellow idolaters.

Whatever the case, you are cordially invited to join for a marathon stream of Love Live! Sunshine!! on New Year's Day! Both seasons + MVs + anything else I can dig up. Looking at 10-11 hours. Whatever, you're not working anyway.

The movie's out on the 4th in Japan. God willing, we'll get it in theaters over here in reasonable time.

January 1st, 2019, 12pm PST/3pm EST/8 pm UST at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time

As oreos says, if you've never streamed from google drive on cytube before, you'll need to install a userscript; go here and follow the prompts: https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, happy birthday Dia!!!!!!!!!

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/our_future_is_shiny

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/put_an_asterisk_on_love

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ruby_and_diamond

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I had fun poking my head in and hearing about vicious lies told to innocent idols.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
;_;

One day this Zep bullying will stop.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

;_;

One day this Zep bullying will stop.
It don't stop. :twisted:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I LOVE LIVE

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Thanks for hosting, Can't! Dinner wiped out the time I had for the second half of Season 1, but what I caught was great. Should pop in for more simulwatches soon.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah in general keep the ADTRW simulwatches coming across the board, I'll try to catch them when I see them, even for stuff I'm not super into or caught up on like Love Live.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
they put the opening dance number from the movie on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFobF58W7g

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Some people don't really like the tiny hats, but I usually do. But not those tiny baseball caps. I feel like the tiny hat version of everything is going to look super dated in the latter half of the next decade. It's going to be a distinctive mark of a 2010's anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuWHWMmNVA

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
THE MOVIE IS REAL GOOD

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and folks in just about everywhere that's not north america are going to be able to see it...

I mean, we'll probably get an announcement before too much longer, but still

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

and folks in just about everywhere that's not north america are going to be able to see it...

I mean, we'll probably get an announcement before too much longer, but still

Yay gently caress South America as usual

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So here's my thoughts on the movie, non-spoilery stuff first and then stuff that I guess no one but zep will read for a while at the end. Also I don't speak Japanese and my Korean reading speed/comprehension is bad, so there's probably a lot of small details that I either misunderstood or missed entirely, but everything I got out of the movie lined up with the spoilery plot summaries I read after seeing the movie yesterday.

One thing that really stood out to me was that the CG in LL really has come a long way, especially with a movie budget. I've never been a big fan of it, but there were a lot of places during the insert songs where I thought it actually looked really good. Also I liked all of the songs and the movie had some very nice outfits, and they all seemed like they will translate well into an IRL stage, so 5th live should be real good.

Non-plot related thoughts (minor spoilers):

- Every Yohane gag was great, also her fangirls are the best new school characters.
- The Saint Snow song was awesome and is the stage I will be most looking forward to for 5th live.
- I hadn't watched the opening sequence on youtube before seeing the movie, and lol it's basically a giant tourism ad for Numazu/Uchiura? (Not that that's a bad thing though, and I liked the song)
- IMO every member got a fair amount of screen time (and it all fit thematically with how S2 ended) except for Hanamaru

Plot stuff (major spoilers)

- All of the Saint Snow stuff was a great continuation of the Hakodate arc from S2. With the way it was going I was kind of expecting a Leah + 1st Years Saint Aqours Snow song for real this time, so too bad we still don't have one?
- I definitely liked the way they handled everything w/how the other 6 moved on from having the 3rd years graduate. I'm glad that they went with the "the 6 of us are still Aqours" route compared to how they did it with u's. I didn't really feel like any of the 3rd years needed any more closure after S2, but the stuff with Mari/Mari's mom was fine. Ruby being the one to recognize that Leah needed to move on too, and not just transfer to Aqours' school was also a real nice touch, and it does make a lot of sense that there wasn't a mixed Saint Aqours Snow song because of that. And Chika continues to be a great protagonist.
- Tsuki was fine I guess, but I don't really have any thoughts about her at all? But I think this is probably a result of not being able to understand a lot of the small dialogue details.
- The long pause after "6" when they count before the final song killed me.
- But seriously though, why did Hanamaru not have any purpose in the movie other than to eat food in the background???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Basic thoughts on the movie that only astro can really read, I'll probably make more posts after the movie officially comes out in February and I've been able to rewatch it.

As with astro, I pretty much tried to avoid all spoilers, so I didn't watch any of the YouTube videos or whatnot before the movie.

astro told me the CG was super good, and I agree, at some points it was so loving natural that I really couldn't tell if I was watching CG or animation in some songs, they just meshed together so well. I wasn't really thinking about going to Japan again this year, but now, if there's another lottery, I'm 100% in.

Everything is spoilers so from here on is dangerous territory.

My only issue with the OG Love Live movie was that it was, at most points, a Honoka movie featuring the other members of Muse. The whole plot pretty much revolves around her, especially with regards to Time-travelling Ghost Alternate Reality Adult Honoka, and while you get stuff like everyone coming to the same conclusion, the one whose journey you see to reach that conclusion is Honoka alone. So Over the Rainbow is a major upgrade in that particular aspect, where it's not the Chika one-man show, and where it's not even solely an Aqours movie due to the prominence of the Leah and Sarah subplot. In fact, it's the 1st years who I feel are a large part of the focus of the story; if the 3rd years are the driving force that kick things off, the 1st years are the ones who strive to take matters into their own hands, as we see in Italy.

Ruby is the real winner of the movie, largely thanks to her character growth in Hakodate. It's amazing how far she's come as a character, given that she was pretty much just sorta there for pretty much all of S1 and like 3/4 of S2. She's the one who speaks up and voices the 1st year's wish to find the venue for their performance, and she's the one uniquely equipped with the insight into Leah's situation. And it's sorta fitting, cause with the movie taking place after Dia's graduation, the movie is partly about Ruby graduating from her dependence on her sister and becoming her own person.

Yoshiko also gets plenty of focus as the main comic relief of the movie. Which isn't really that plot relevant, but she ensures that there's never really a dull moment throughout the movie, especially when she has to confront her real life fans of her streams. It's a nice variation on her gimmick that hasn't been done in the anime before, so it's not like the movie's just rehashing old jokes. Her short stint into

Sadly, Hanamaru doesn't really get much to do, as astro points out. She's pretty much been static since S2 as the eating girl.

Leah gets a lot of focus, and I really feel for her cause at least the 1st years and 2nd years have each other, but Leah is legit by herself in the school idol game for her school since it was just her and her sister. Even Chika had You with her when starting out. Though she's developed after the events of AWAKEN THE POWER (gently caress YOU DON'T TELL ME TO AWAKEN THE POWER), this solitude and her guilt over her tripping up, mixed with the fact that she and her sister never fully got closure (Sarah never getting to tell Leah how she felt), causes her a lot of grief. I really like the way her plot was handled, completed with Ruby rejecting the option of Leah coming to Aqours because that wouldn't have really resolved anything.

The bit where Sarah points out how the third years were responsible for the majority of Aqour's success is pretty funny because Ainya is legit considered the best singer in the group. It also reminds me of OG LL, where A-RISE points out that Muse have so many highly talented members.

The scales are a lot smaller than they were in the OG LL movie (hey let's sing in loving TIMES SQUARE and get a literal army of school idols to all sing one song together), but they're a lot more personal instead. Instead of introducing the world to something, it's about proving to people close by that school idols are good. The song in Italy is just a guerrilla performance, the showdown before Aqours and Saint Snow is (initially) viewed by only Tsuki and Chika's three friends before Tsuki decides to become the first idol music video pirate, and the final performance of the movie takes place as a school event, as opposed to the grandeur of BokuHika.

I can't believe it took me till like, the final segment of the movie to realize this, but there's a parallel between Mari's mom and the PTA of the new school. Parents who think they know what's best for their kids and don't believe in the power of school idols. loving 학부모, am I right?????? Of course, both conflicts are pretty easily resolved, as they were never really the major focus. As if Mari was really gonna get married. Also, it's a nice twist that Mari's dad, the unseen figure who we're initially led to believe is the frontman for the school closing in S2, is actually the more lenient parent and the one who wanted to let Mari do as she wanted. Also Mari's mom referring to Kanan and Dia as HAGU and DESUWA is funny as poo poo. It's up there among the funniest scenes in the movie.

The great thing about the movie being in Italy is that I don't care if they mispronounce Italian cause I don't know that language. Yay Italy!

The Saint Snow song is probably my favorite song of the movie; the music and imagery is loving amazing. The other songs were good too, but it's sorta hard trying to read lyrics in Korean while watching the animation cause I'm used to being able to rewind and rewatching song segments. So I'll hafta wait till the movie officially comes out in February to think more about them. That said, I don't really think there was a song that gave me this whole FEELS moment like BokuHika did in the OG LL movie, where the lyrics, animation, choreography, symbolism, and so on all came together to create this incredibly moving spectacle. Though to be fair, we had WATER BLUE NEW WORLD in S2 and honestly? I consider that to be pretty much close to BokuHika level in terms of how I felt when watching it for the first time. Plus, the effects for the final song were so good, I legit expected it to be just a 6-member song and then the 3rd years coming in just floored me. Also the second last Aqours song where the 1st years and 2nd years change their outfits partway while the 3rd years remain in the starting outfit was also a great moment.

Tsuki as a character is just there, she's like a mini-You who also happens to conveniently know Italian cause why not, and also to do the whole "IS YOU TALKING TO A BOY??????" fakeout. Which leads to one of the funniest scenes in the movie anyways so it's all good. Ruby, Hanamaru, and Yoshiko getting their catchphrase mixed up was some hilarious poo poo, I was watching the words come out of their mouths and thought it was an error for a split second before realizing it was the point.

Probably more words I wanna vomit out but that's enough for now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
loving hell I hosed up on the spoilers tag twice.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Saint Snow song is probably my favorite song of the movie; the music and imagery is loving amazing.

In an alternate timeline where Sarah doesn't fall down, does Saint Snow win Love Live over Aqours with that song over WATER BLUE?? :tinfoil:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing beats WATER BLUE NEW WORLD so no.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Remember when I translated a sample of Dia's picture book diary, Dia is a Big Sister, a year ago?
Now I finished translating the full version

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Doin' God's work. Dan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's beautiful, like God's plan.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
hell yeah, dan!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh gosh, it's adorable :3:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Hell yes Dan!

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
3rd Live Bluray sneak peek video was put up on youtube today. I haven't seen the 3rd Live performance yet, but the Suzuki Aina solo caught my attention. No real dancing or moving while singing. Just her at the mic stand and she looks super comfortable like she owns the stage. I kinda want to see a true live version of it rather than the post-produced Bluray version. Can't wait to check out the full version next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Got a link to it perchance?