Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I got the deluxe version of tokaido. it was on sale but idk why since it fills the light game that isn't exactly a filler spot. I think I just want to paint the adorable minis in it

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

So this week I finally got to play Chaos in the Old World. It was a great time! Got one 3 player game as nurgle and one 4 player as tzeentch. Every player was new to the game including myself so they were mostly learning experiences. The slaanesh player won the first game through some lucky noble events and the khorne player won the second game because everyone else kept fighting him. We thought the game ended maybe a bit too early from dial advancement but then I noticed that we had one world card left in both games so there was one round max left in the game anyways. A lot of fun was had, and we'll probably break the game out whenever a fifth person is missing from DnD night. I heartily recommend it.

I Was The Fury

Forced Miranda and another friend to play Orleans with me. They liked it and I also liked it! It's a very fun worker placement game where you try to become the best trader in the medieval French countryside by moving little cardboard discs from a bag to a board and back. I highly recommend it. Miranda left for work after that game, but the other friend and I got in a game of warhammer disk wars (I'll have to play it at least a few more times before I really get a handle of it) and a game of suburbia. Suburbia is a game about building a city out of little hexagon tiles that you purchase. There is a surprising amount of resource tracking and micromanagement for that game, but I like it and my friend said he'd gladly play again another day

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

whoa thanks for bringing this post back up. I forgot all about it.

never tried suburbia but it was made by the same designer who did castles of MKL so I went with the latter as I've heard he made some improvements from suburbia.

I might be joining my friend in working at the same place and they have a board gaming club during lunch time which means I'll either have to try and convince them to start a game of campaign for North Africa for the next decade or get more 1-hour minus games.

e: he says they love risk so this is gonna be a process.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 22, 2016

I Was The Fury

Chill la Chill posted:

whoa thanks for bringing this post back up. I forgot all about it.

never tried suburbia but it was made by the same designer who did castles of MKL so I went with the latter as I've heard he made some improvements from suburbia.

I might be joining my friend in working at the same place and they have a board gaming club during lunch time which means I'll either have to try and convince them to start a game of campaign for North Africa for the next decade or get more 1-hour minus games.

e: he says they love risk so this is gonna be a process.

I have both, and I like both seperately. I think suburbia fulfills more of a "build a machine of efficiency and profit" than MKL does, but MKL has the cool "purchase parts from a player at the price that player sets" mechanic and is a bigger point salad, from what I've experienced.

Full disclosure: I love point salad games because having higher numbers really scratches a specific itch for me.

As for your potential lunch group: make them play mage knight.

big black turnout

if you can't get them to play real games tell them there's a great game called diplomacy that's a lot like risk and at the least you can destroy the gaming group from within

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I taught Terra Mystica to a buddy that drove up from Houston. He liked it a lot, it's still a pretty fantastic heavy eurogame, but it shows its age (lots of bits, lots of setup, etc. etc.)

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Terra Mystica is fantastic. It's a fixed and upgraded version of Catan but I've had some people dislike it even though they love Catan :psyduck:

darkarchon

My name is a trolling word

Chill la Chill posted:

Terra Mystica is fantastic. It's a fixed and upgraded version of Catan but I've had some people dislike it even though they love Catan :psyduck:

TM doesn't have randomness tho so people actually have to think in this game. anyone hyped for a feast for odin?

I Was The Fury

darkarchon posted:

TM doesn't have randomness tho so people actually have to think in this game. anyone hyped for a feast for odin?

I have not heard of it before. What is it about?

darkarchon

It's Uwe Rosenbergs next big game. A weird mix of tile placement like in Patchwork, worker placement, engine building, has some cards with professions and stuff like in Agricola, some randomness. Lots and lots of bits, watched a gameplay runthrough, looks promising. Gonna pick it up at the SPIEL 16 probably.

I Was The Fury

darkarchon posted:

It's Uwe Rosenbergs next big game. A weird mix of tile placement like in Patchwork, worker placement, engine building, has some cards with professions and stuff like in Agricola, some randomness. Lots and lots of bits, watched a gameplay runthrough, looks promising. Gonna pick it up at the SPIEL 16 probably.

This sounds complicated as h*ck. I'll definitely buy it then stare wistfully everytime it's board game night and the group picks say anything again

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

darkarchon posted:

:peanut: I hope it's a lot easier to digest than mage knight. while I love mage knight and vlaada, there's a steep initial learning curve for that game that his other mechanics-smorgasbord classics like dungeon ____ don't have.

Is it anything like Orleans? I love that game and got the kickstarter since it looked promising so I already have a worker placement/engine/deck-building game with map control and randomness and lots of bits.

Larkke

:siren: AAAAAAA :siren:
Would anyone be interested in a game where you play as a company that turns into a fighting robot that battles other companies? I was thinking of making it a, well, not a board game, since it wouldn't have a board, but set up similar to something like Cosmic Encounter. Different types of businesses have different combinations of departments and abilities available to them, and each turn you gain some interns. You can staff them to different departments for bonuses, and the longer they remain in a department, they earn promotions and give a bigger bonus, up to a point. Thing is, the interns are also your primary attackers. When you fire them. Out of a cannon. The higher ranked the employee, the more damage they do. The working title is "Titans of Industry". Any thoughts?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop: :stare: go on

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Larkke

Afraid that's most of what I can remember off the top of my head. I have notes for it somewhere, I'll dig those out and post more info tomorrow. For now, just got home from work and I'ma just go collapse into bed.
I'm surprised by the reaction though, I was expecting to either be ignored or told it was dumb. Woo.

I Was The Fury

Larkke posted:

Afraid that's most of what I can remember off the top of my head. I have notes for it somewhere, I'll dig those out and post more info tomorrow. For now, just got home from work and I'ma just go collapse into bed.
I'm surprised by the reaction though, I was expecting to either be ignored or told it was dumb. Woo.

I'll donate to the kickstarter

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I Was The Fury posted:

I'll donate to the kickstarter

:same: I'm p interested if it's a worker placement game. I love worker placement games.

Larkke

Still very much in planning; hadn't considered a kickstarter because I don't know how that poo poo works, haha.

Basic Ideas:
You have "health". Lose all your health, you're out. Lose all your money, you're out.
You earn money each turn, a base amount modified by bonuses/penalties.
Each round, turn order is decided by who earned the most money in the previous round.
Gain one intern each round (can be increased by things like having a HR dept); assign them to departments.
Departments provide bonuses or extra abilities based on staffing.
Interns become employees after one turn. Interns and employees provide the same bonus, but employees do more damage when fired.
Employees can become Department Heads (after at least one turn). Department Heads are locked into their department and can no longer be reassigned.
Departments can have 0, 1, or 2 DH slots. DHs provide Department-specific bonuses. DHs can still be fired, for the highest employee-related dmg.
Each company is still a company and has to earn money. Money decides turn order and is used for staffing, and can be used to upgrade your building or buy Happenstance cards (working name, think Community Chest)
Happenstances are things that either happen immediately or can sometimes be held and used later. Maybe a Job Fair card will give you some interns, maybe you get sued and lose money. A viral outbreak can keep workers from providing bonuses. Feel free to provide suggestions.

In my head, mainly everything's gonna be cardboard. Each business has a base section, and there are a bunch of cardboard departments that can be added onto them. Department bits have room for Intern tokens, and to staff them is to have the token on the department. The token flips over to become an Employee token, and is moved to a special spot on the department bit to indicate becoming a DH.

Hey also, I'm not super familiar with worker-placement games, though I would guess this would count as one. I imagine you guys have seen enough of them to know of some mechanics that don't work or aren't fun. What are some design pitfalls I should try to avoid?

Larkke fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2016

I Was The Fury

Larkke posted:

Still very much in planning; hadn't considered a kickstarter because I don't know how that poo poo works, haha.

Basic Ideas:
You have "health". Lose all your health, you're out. Lose all your money, you're out.
You earn money each turn, a base amount modified by bonuses/penalties.
Each round, turn order is decided by who earned the most money in the previous round.
Gain one intern each round (can be increased by things like having a HR dept); assign them to departments.
Departments provide bonuses or extra abilities based on staffing.
Interns become employees after one turn. Interns and employees provide the same bonus, but employees do more damage when fired.
Employees can become Department Heads (after at least one turn). Department Heads are locked into their department and can no longer be reassigned.
Departments can have 0, 1, or 2 DH slots. DHs provide Department-specific bonuses. DHs can still be fired, for the highest employee-related dmg.
Each company is still a company and has to earn money. Money decides turn order and is used for staffing, and can be used to upgrade your building or buy Happenstance cards (working name, think Community Chest)
Happenstances are things that either happen immediately or can sometimes be held and used later. Maybe a Job Fair card will give you some interns, maybe you get sued and lose money. A viral outbreak can keep workers from providing bonuses. Feel free to provide suggestions.

In my head, mainly everything's gonna be cardboard. Each business has a base section, and there are a bunch of cardboard departments that can be added onto them. Department bits have room for Intern tokens, and to staff them is to have the token on the department. The token flips over to become an Employee token, and is moved to a special spot on the department bit to indicate becoming a DH.

Hey also, I'm not super familiar with worker-placement games, though I would guess this would count as one. I imagine you guys have seen enough of them to know of some mechanics that don't work or aren't fun. What are some design pitfalls I should try to avoid?

In my opinion, if the happenstance cards have to be purchased then I would have 2 stacks: one for beneficial effects you can buy for yourself, and one for negative effects you can buy for an opponent. However, I know less about game design or theory than anyone, so I don't know if my idea is a good one.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

There's actually a board game design thread in the TG subforum but i don't follow it so I don't know how responsive they are. However, I will say that worker placement is a specific mechanic that doesn't just require workers. It requires workers to be placed amongst competing workers in a shared community pool, competing for resources or upgrades. Not all games have worker placement mechanics, and yours doesn't sound like it has or needs one unless you want them competing for govt contracts or something similarly-themed that companies would bid for. Maybe they send out representatives to colleges to scout prospective employees. But, as it is, you described a steady flow of resources per turn which is the complete opposite of what worker placement games usually employ unless you have those interns immediately used to compete against each other in some shared pool. You don't need worker placement as a mechanic - I just happen to like it. Your game sounds like it's a neat engine-building game.

I'd be careful of happenstance because random gently caress-you effects were completely UNCHILL and a huge turnoff of "classic" board games in the 80s that modern games don't use anymore. You can use them for minor bonuses, have them as shared effects, or implement them in a way where variance can be reduced. i.e. You can spend an action to look through X upcoming happenstance cards and filter them so you gain them somehow. You can implement them so that you have demerits that can be inserted into an opponent's deck, as dominion does it that way, but it has to be something a player actively does and not just a totally random effect that cannot be controlled.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

robot company battle sounds cool i would buy it

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
i`ll give u wood for 2 sheeps

ask me about getting really high

I Was The Fury

Every Catan Game
by I was the Fury

Haha hey everybody Jedrick has wood for sheep

FIN

A Spider Covets

we have been looking at the dark souls board game previews and surprisingly it looks pretty fun! although i think it'll need some house rules. technically you can perma die in the board game, but that doesn't sound like a good time or very dark souls, so i have a feeling we'll just ignore that one.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I saw the Bloodborne card/boardgame get middling reviews because of its push-your-luck variety. I did not have any experiences with Dark Souls as a boardgame but maybe it could be cool? Let me know how it is!

A Spider Covets

aldantefax posted:

I saw the Bloodborne card/boardgame get middling reviews because of its push-your-luck variety. I did not have any experiences with Dark Souls as a boardgame but maybe it could be cool? Let me know how it is!

If I remember by April (when it comes out) I will definitely do so haha. in the meantime there's videos online you can check out to see how it's coming along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rs_mV695ns

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd say that Concordia and Terra Mystica are two direct steps up from Catan:

- Concordia is the chill game for everybody where you don't have to really worry that much about ruining someone's fun because victory points are only scored at the end so everybody is actually invested in winning. Out of 6 or 7 games I've played, it would always seem like one person is behind a lot but in reality they are actually doing pretty okay by the end of the game. The secret is to maximize each action and just buy all the cards.

- Terra Mystica is the hard decisions and everything counts game where everything is a limited resource that you have to balance since there's a trade off to everything. Everything everything everything. The fact that different player boards have different abilities (since they're thematic fantasy races) have a gigantic impact on the game as well that Catan only started approaching with Cities & Knights. However, it's an intimidating game, partially because the setup is so finicky (though, still pretty awesome, once everybody knows how to play). You can definitely "fail early and hard" in the points in this game, too, but that's why it has a tutorial game setup. Definitely play that.

I Was The Fury

A Spider Covets posted:

we have been looking at the dark souls board game previews and surprisingly it looks pretty fun! although i think it'll need some house rules. technically you can perma die in the board game, but that doesn't sound like a good time or very dark souls, so i have a feeling we'll just ignore that one.

In my imagination, perma dying in the board game represents giving up on playing dark souls for a few weeks, trying to pick it back up, and realizing you've gotten so out of the groove that you might as well start a new save to get back into it at a pace you're used to.

aldantefax posted:

It seems like all the combat is resolved through dice, which makes me hesitate. But I also have fun playing bad games that have themes I like because I'm a simple man who is easy to please, and the minis look like they will be pretty useful for other tabletop gaming too

darkarchon

got my pnp battletech domination card game (it's like star realms but good) want to try it out soon. artscow had a great deal for 3 decks of custom cards for $18 at some point, cards are good, looking forward to play it

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

darkarchon posted:

got my pnp battletech domination card game (it's like star realms but good) want to try it out soon. artscow had a great deal for 3 decks of custom cards for $18 at some point, cards are good, looking forward to play it
Nice. I remember seeing cards from the old game and wanting to try it sometime but the community died by that point. How is it an improvement over star realms? Does it keep the market row from star realms? That's the one big thing I hate about dominion clones because it defeats the purpose of the shared market.

I Was The Fury posted:

It seems like all the combat is resolved through dice, which makes me hesitate. But I also have fun playing bad games that have themes I like because I'm a simple man who is easy to please, and the minis look like they will be pretty useful for other tabletop gaming too
This is kinda why I want it too but I already have so many minis to paint. Right now I'm trying to paint my Tokaido minis since it has such a beautiful board and components that I think it deserves it.

aldantefax posted:

I'd say that Concordia and Terra Mystica are two direct steps up from Catan:

- Concordia is the chill game for everybody where you don't have to really worry that much about ruining someone's fun because victory points are only scored at the end so everybody is actually invested in winning. Out of 6 or 7 games I've played, it would always seem like one person is behind a lot but in reality they are actually doing pretty okay by the end of the game. The secret is to maximize each action and just buy all the cards.

- Terra Mystica is the hard decisions and everything counts game where everything is a limited resource that you have to balance since there's a trade off to everything. Everything everything everything. The fact that different player boards have different abilities (since they're thematic fantasy races) have a gigantic impact on the game as well that Catan only started approaching with Cities & Knights. However, it's an intimidating game, partially because the setup is so finicky (though, still pretty awesome, once everybody knows how to play). You can definitely "fail early and hard" in the points in this game, too, but that's why it has a tutorial game setup. Definitely play that.
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty used to harsh games like space alert and agricola (though I prefer caverna cuz dorf fortress) so TM didn't bug me much. I never tried Concordia but I'll give it a try and maybe use that instead since it sounds like it's a lot less intimidating. Just like how Shogun (Wallenstein reskin, not Ikusa/Samurai Swords) is an upgrade from Risk but isn't campaign for north africa.

deep dish peat moss

Someone come to Az and play Android: Netrunner with me my only friend I played with moved away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

Piso Mojado

Shakill OReal posted:

Someone come to Az and play Android: Netrunner with me my only friend I played with moved away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

I would if i could. that game is fun

Piso Mojado

I played Coup Rebellion GS4 today and it's a lot of fun if you like Resistence-like bluffing games

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
maybe get a netrunner club started on tabletop simulator. i'd probably wanna try playin that game and attackin the meatspace.

Piso Mojado

I don't know much about tabletop simulator. are there a bunch of geeky board games on it? reading the steam description I thought it was for like chess and monopoly, etc

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Piso Mojado posted:

I don't know much about tabletop simulator. are there a bunch of geeky board games on it? reading the steam description I thought it was for like chess and monopoly, etc

There are a bunch of mods with games but I haven't tried any of them yet. My post is unhelpful.

deep dish peat moss

I just checked and there's a few Netrunner mods for Tabletop Sim but I don't have Tabletop Sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
use cheapshark and get it when it goes on sale, check steam workshop for that game. they have table setups for a lot of stuff (far more than when they originally launched). there is also paid dlc for some specific games, such as Scythe, Mistfall, etc. - I bought a bunch of them during the summer sale since I wanted to try them. I have yet to because they're all marathon-length romps, but I'd like to

• Locked thread