Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

is there a simulator/mod for agricola? this is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

aldantefax posted:

use cheapshark and get it when it goes on sale, check steam workshop for that game. they have table setups for a lot of stuff (far more than when they originally launched). there is also paid dlc for some specific games, such as Scythe, Mistfall, etc. - I bought a bunch of them during the summer sale since I wanted to try them. I have yet to because they're all marathon-length romps, but I'd like to

Do you know if there are any good single player board games on it? I've always wanted to try some out but I don't know which ones are good and I don't want to drop like $40 on them in real life

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Piso Mojado posted:

is there a simulator/mod for agricola? this is important.

TTS has it, but I've never tried it.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

darkarchon

My name is a trolling word

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. I remember seeing cards from the old game and wanting to try it sometime but the community died by that point. How is it an improvement over star realms? Does it keep the market row from star realms? That's the one big thing I hate about dominion clones because it defeats the purpose of the shared market.

there's an old version (2.4 or so, which he names strategic) which I also have printed which is more like dominion, the new v4 that I printed is more like star realms with the card row (which he names tactical). i think the v4 is good too, but i also kinda like star realms, generally it's a quick and easy game it's ok

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Shakill OReal posted:

Do you know if there are any good single player board games on it? I've always wanted to try some out but I don't know which ones are good and I don't want to drop like $40 on them in real life

I downloaded a Mage Knight module but I don't know if it worked because I ended up buying the physical game before I ever actually loaded up the mod. I hope this information was helpful.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Shakill OReal posted:

probably, mage knight works fine on it, as does everything else; I feel like tabletop simulator being what it is, it's a good advertisement for boardgames because it's workable but not even remotely close to as good as playing at a physical table. some things are nice like having managed hands and whatnot, and of course you can try anything in the library and fiddle with it, since there's no out of the box rule logic for anything

I Was The Fury posted:

I downloaded a Mage Knight module but I don't know if it worked because I ended up buying the physical game before I ever actually loaded up the mod. I hope this information was helpful.

i have both played mage knight single player and multiplayer on tabletop simulator, it is okay. one of the best things tabletop simulator does is allow session saving so you can randomize the board and do whatever you gotta do, save it and come back to it later when you're ready to actually play, or save in mid-session and pick up later

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I finally have some budding content for this thread. Months ago, I backed the Secret Hitler kickstarter, and I just got it today. I will try to find a chance to play it (it's a minimum 5 player game, around 45 minutes as per the box), and I will report back with a fun rating and some descriptive content :)

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
yo vlaada chvatil is a god

peace

I Was The Fury

aldantefax posted:

yo vlaada chvatil is a god

peace

:agreed:

Everyone name your favorite VC game, then name the one you can actually get to the table
Favorite: Mage Knight
Table: Codenames

darkarchon

My name is a trolling word

I Was The Fury posted:

:agreed:

Everyone name your favorite VC game, then name the one you can actually get to the table
Favorite: Mage Knight
Table: Codenames

Favorite mage Knight
Table mage Knight

In solo mode

I Was The Fury

darkarchon posted:

Favorite mage Knight
Table mage Knight

In solo mode

Preach

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

darkarchon posted:

Favorite mage Knight
Table mage Knight

In solo mode

i actually got a box insert for mage knight recently and i like it

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I wanted to visit Compleat strategist in midtown while I was at NYC but there were too many things to do. perhaps at an earlier or later time I would've considered doing a board game night while I was there, but for now there's Pokemon go stampedes at Central Park which are incredibly fun

I Was The Fury

I have managed to play a few games of Mansions of Madness 2e. I think the app integration is great, and allows for an element of randomness that doesn't devolve into guaranteed bullshit 85% of the time like Betrayal at the House on the Hill. I've played a 2 player game, a 3 player game, and a 4 player game, but only the starter scenario. There seems to be solid variation, as we got different maps with slightly different events, which I wasn't expecting for the starter game. The gameplay itself is very straightforward. You make 2 actions, and refer to the app if those actions uncover new areas or interact with map elements. Then the app tells you what happens on the monster phase. I can see how some people wouldn't like doing this since it means a constant drain on your battery and that any calls or texts you have to take will interrupt the game for everyone, but if those things aren't problems for you (have a charger with outlets near the game table, have no friends other than the ones that are there) then this game is a lot of fun and very atmospheric.

Oh the mini quality is poor, and they do not mount well to their bases, but if that doesn't bother you either then it doesn't actually affect gameplay.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I just bought food chain magnate. It was cheaper at $100 instead of $130 :negative:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I Was The Fury posted:

I have managed to play a few games of Mansions of Madness 2e. I think the app integration is great, and allows for an element of randomness that doesn't devolve into guaranteed bullshit 85% of the time like Betrayal at the House on the Hill. I've played a 2 player game, a 3 player game, and a 4 player game, but only the starter scenario. There seems to be solid variation, as we got different maps with slightly different events, which I wasn't expecting for the starter game. The gameplay itself is very straightforward. You make 2 actions, and refer to the app if those actions uncover new areas or interact with map elements. Then the app tells you what happens on the monster phase. I can see how some people wouldn't like doing this since it means a constant drain on your battery and that any calls or texts you have to take will interrupt the game for everyone, but if those things aren't problems for you (have a charger with outlets near the game table, have no friends other than the ones that are there) then this game is a lot of fun and very atmospheric.

Oh the mini quality is poor, and they do not mount well to their bases, but if that doesn't bother you either then it doesn't actually affect gameplay.
what's it like without the app, since I would love a fixed BatHotH. (group already has tragedy looper but we want one that doesn't need a dungeon master)

I Was The Fury

Chill la Chill posted:

what's it like without the app, since I would love a fixed BatHotH. (group already has tragedy looper but we want one that doesn't need a dungeon master)

Impossible to play, the app decides what tiles are placed, tell you what events have triggered, tell you which checks to make, and which items to get. It is also the interface used to solve puzzles, like simple code breaking or a sliding puzzle grid. It seems somewhat randomized but from a very restricted list so you don't end up with your group having found 4 empty rooms and a lovely knife.

I believe the app is also available for Windows in case you have a laptop, but I've found using a phone or tablet doesn't take much space on the table.

Cthulu Carl

I kinda went through a phase a few tears back where I'd get board games only ever play a few.

I had one called Red November where each player played as a gnomish sailor on a submarine that was falling apart and maybe getting attacked by a kraken. I even painted the gnome figures, and while I still have them, I lost the game and it seems to be out of print :(

I end up taking Red Dragon Inn when I visit my sister and brother-in-law. It's mostly a card game and each deck represents a character who is part of an adventuring party and they're all getting drunk. Last one not black-out drunk wins (because everyone else steals your share of the gold).

There's also Poo! which is a card game about monkeys throwing poop at each other and it is good fun, but not a board game.

Impermanent
Food chain magnate is a good game and you're going to have a fun time.

Favorite game: Through The Ages
Table: Mage Knight

I'm going to try to teach my dad who is visiting right now Dominion this weekend. I tried to teach him Hive and he could not remember how all the pieces moved, but he loves chess and was a big pac-man guy in the 80's and 90's so I think it'll work.

I Was The Fury

Impermanent posted:

Food chain magnate is a good game and you're going to have a fun time.

Favorite game: Through The Ages
Table: Mage Knight

I'm going to try to teach my dad who is visiting right now Dominion this weekend. I tried to teach him Hive and he could not remember how all the pieces moved, but he loves chess and was a big pac-man guy in the 80's and 90's so I think it'll work.

Pac-Man+Chess=Dominion?

?

Is this that common core math thing my grandparents and that cousin who dropped out of high school but now has a kid in 2nd grade keep complaining about?

I can't hate on Mage Knight though, I love that game.

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Codenames a lot but I'm not a fan of other Vlaada games I've played. which I guess is actually just Galaxy Trucker which I found really random and uninteresting. I understand the appeal of Space Alert but the idea doesn't thrill me at all, I very strongly prefer games where you stop and think instead of a frantic rush. I would have fallen madly in love with Mage Knight years ago during my Cities&Knights and Arkham Horror phase, but I'm really appreciating minimalist games instead recently, like Love Letter, Coup, and I just picked up Ra, which is so good. I do think I would like Vlaada's Tash Kalar though! And I think eventually I will break down and buy the Star Trek Mage Knight and never find anyone else to play it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My favorite Vlaada game is probably Dungeon Lord's which I only played once but I love worker placement games.

I own space alert and mage Knight and have never gotten them to the table. I suppose one of these days I should do a solo run of mage Knight just to see what it's all about

Quidthulhu

Galaxy trucker is v good but you really have to not give a poo poo about losing badly and laugh at your spaceship falling apart to horrendous luck or it will be no fun at all

big black turnout

I loving love galaxy trucker and i can't believe there are people who don't

ive actually had the best luck getting other people into that game, too

Piso Mojado

Quidnose posted:

Galaxy trucker is v good but you really have to not give a poo poo about losing badly and laugh at your spaceship falling apart to horrendous luck or it will be no fun at all

big black turnout posted:

I loving love galaxy trucker and i can't believe there are people who don't

ive actually had the best luck getting other people into that game, too

yeah galaxy trucker is one of my favorites

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quidnose posted:

I like losing as much as I like winning but Galaxy Trucker felt like, cobble together a ship and then see what random things happen to it. WHOA your ship broke in half! WOW my ship narrowly escaped! nice, next time let's just all roll a d20 and see whose number is bigger. I know there's some dexterity/spatial relation skill-based gameplay in the tile-laying shipbuilding phase but that's not an activity I find remotely interesting enough to want to do more or try to get good at.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

big black turnout

Ralp posted:

I like losing as much as I like winning but Galaxy Trucker felt like, cobble together a ship and then see what random things happen to it. WHOA your ship broke in half! WOW my ship narrowly escaped! nice, next time let's just all roll a d20 and see whose number is bigger. I know there's some dexterity/spatial relation skill-based gameplay in the tile-laying shipbuilding phase but that's not an activity I find remotely interesting enough to want to do more or try to get good at.

yeah ok that's fair

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Ralp posted:

The people I know who loved galaxy trucker are also my friends who turned out to be really good at x-wing so you might be onto something here

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I find that pretty much all Vlaada games are trying to go for a specific feel for each one - Galaxy Trucker is a real roll the bones down on your luck game where horrible things happening to your ship made out of pipes is the norm; Mage Knight is that game for that one specific type of player that really couldn't get enough of Heroes of Might and Magic and also rules edge cases; Through the Ages is an attempt to make a truly epochal boardgame. Dude has a shitload of ideas. Also, Dungeon Petz was pretty alright.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I like that Vlaada made codenames to prove that he can make a light social game. The ambiguous nature of all the words is perfect (don't buy the pictures or adult versions)

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

I like that Vlaada made codenames to prove that he can make a light social game. The ambiguous nature of all the words is perfect (don't buy the pictures or adult versions)

People are doing well with Codenames + Dixit, so I hear, so Codenames Pictures is a natural expansion. Social gaming just doesn't happen that often around here where people are like "hey, let's bust something light out", so even though I like it, it doesn't see a lot of play

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

:mad:

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
well, technically, you are not also looking at those things too, so they got you there

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

aldantefax posted:

People are doing well with Codenames + Dixit, so I hear, so Codenames Pictures is a natural expansion. Social gaming just doesn't happen that often around here where people are like "hey, let's bust something light out", so even though I like it, it doesn't see a lot of play

codenames had a lot of playtesting done to ensure the multiple meanings of each selected word can be used well with each other. you lose that in both the Dixie and pictures versions. pictures are open to a lot more interpretation so you either go too wide or too narrow with your clues.

aldantefax posted:

well, technically, you are not also looking at those things too, so they got you there

I'm just lolling that a heavy economic board game is lumped in with candy land.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I bought and sleeved over 600 cards for my 2 recent board games. Food Chain magnate is powerful.

Quidthulhu

nice~

I used to be all about trying to sleeve and protect everything in a "I PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR THESE THEY ARE AN INVESTMENT AND MY LOVE MY RESALE VALUE" way but the more i've played stuff the more i'm like "the true sign of respect for my boardgames is if the cards and pieces are all well loved."

also sleeves make shuffling a major pita so eff that.

(chill and everyone else can of course love their boardgames however they see fit, just sharing my experience)

i got warhammer quest yesterday and i am looking forward to trying it solo soon!! also have ashes: rise of the phoenix born and REALLY want to do a run with that, but i need to convince my girlfriend to play with me~

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I have a couple friends with what must be acidic fingers because I've had components' artwork start to rub off after a single playthrough.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I also play magic and most of my board gaming friends also did at one point so we all prefer the feel of sleeves. but yeah there is a charm of seeing how much play a game got. I just like having them be in a showcase quality for when showing it off to new people.

also food chain magnate is much easier to play than I was led to believe. it's not much harder than dominion.

Quidthulhu

One of the FLGS I go to had it sitting there and it was $100. I probably should have bought it since I guess that's on the cheap side. Maybe next month if I go and it's still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I sleeve games I play a lot for protection and to avoid card marking (Mage Knight, chiefly, since I also bought the organizer insert for it from Broken Token). Some games don't really need it (Fluxx, Innovation, etc.) and with KMC Perfect Size sleeves I have absolutely no issues with shuffling, either a traditional riffle or any other method.

I played Eminent Domain today and yesterday. Interesting game...

• Locked thread