Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I just picked up Tash Kalar yesterday, hopefully will be able to get a game in tonight. Any pro tips that will help me learn and then teach the mechanics to others? Like stuff that isn't really laid out well in the rulebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

the rule book is great and really the only confusion results from players thinking the pieces are like Chess. they are not. they are like pieces in Go, where they are permanently affixed unless moved in some way.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

also tell people to look at the patterns of formations and not the actual positions. that way they don't have to rotate every piece in their mind. don't try playing it with anyone who has problems with spatial reasoning. it's a bad time all around.

I Was The Fury

So I managed to convince Miranda to stay up a little later than initially planned so we could play some Tash Kalar after all the casuals left. You were right, the rulebook is good, and thinking of the pieces as go pieces rather than chess pieces helped me focus on the patterns that were already there over the patterns I could have instead. I managed to sweep the win away by getting 5 of the six needed points within two rounds. First by having a connected line across the field, and then the following round by having 6 more tokens within one row than my opponent. I'm really looking forward to playing the full game with the legendary creatures and further options, as well as looking at the two other factions. I recommend this game with a healthy thumb up!

E: oh also we played some deckbuilder she picked up that's based on steam punk vs eldritch horror (dr. Pugnacious' Perfidious Playing Game of Pride (or something like that)) and it was wholly unremarkable. Just a generic deckbuilder with a rotating market row and a field of monsters to kill, as well as the mega boss. I recommend playing dominion instead.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Nice to hear you enjoyed TK. My friend and I who played lots of Go when we were younger enjoy high form a lot. And deckbuilders that aren't dominion are almost always trash. I learned that the hard way when I played a friend's Ascension and Resident Evil games. Rotating market row is up there on why they are terrible but VP cards with effects are usually the worst part. They completely miss the point of the VP cards: they clog the deck so your opponents can catch up.

I finally got all my games together an organized them last night. The only games that aren't here are Tokaido, Dominion, Codenames and FCM - all in my current active rotation and stored in the car. Space Alert and TK are in the same box and it was more or less a coinflip to decide which box to keep. I think I really only need to get an 18xx game to round out the collection since this pretty much covers all the genres I care about.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Machai

I go to a board game meet-up every Wednesday at a nearby cafe. Lately the cafe has been removing items from their menu, namely thew ones we like to actually eat. Also the prices keep going up. And I have not gotten any whipped cream in my smoothie in months. Would it be bad form to eat dinner before going and just partake of the free cucumber water? I guess I could also buy a cinnamon bun as they are not too expensive. Cue cinnamon buns being removed from the menu.

I have recently gotten back into Netrunner and mostly just played that the past few weeks with the three other guys that own it now. I keep stopping by my local game store(s) to buy new datapacks after work and I think I might have an addiction. Luckily it is an LCG so I will soon run out of new things to buy. Please help (me buy more cards)

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

do you not drink coffee?

Machai

Quidthulhu posted:

do you not drink coffee?

nope. every time I try to get into drinking coffee, I realize it all tastes the same even when they try and add different flavors: bland with a hint of the sugar I add to it

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

what about tea and/or chai and/or italian sodas

Machai

I dont like tea or chai and my only other options for drinks are overpriced sodas. I like hanging out with my friends to play games but paying $18 a week for a smoothie (without whip!) and a wrap that is mostly lettuce is starting to become not worth the price of admission

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I play board games with my friends on Friday nights so we usually pool our money together for drinks and go out to eat some Harris teeter jumbo subs for $5 or some charcoal chicken w/ sides for $7. my friend has the same taste in mixed drinks as I do so he makes something fruity or tastes like chocolate milk

I am afraid of the upcoming Star Wars destiny game since it might be good but it has blind packs, not the usual LCG model.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

"What does Xango's make?"
"Whaddaya mean, like how much money does Xango's make?"
"Uh, no, I mean, what do we make?"
"I don't follow. We make money."
"No, I know we make money, I mean, what do we create?"
"We create wealth."

Elusif

Can I play the cat in the box game?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

please don't. meow and exploding kittens aren't great. exploding kittens incentivizes you not to play the game :psyduck:

Jenner
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Have I got a board game for you BYOB!

This is not a photoshop, this is a real board game that actually exists and that I personally own. :iiam:

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
What a...what fun party game

It's not like Upwords, is it?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

ultimate board game experience eh? I'm looking forward to the economics engine

Moola
aw heck yeah this is my jam thread!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I'm surprised you didn't find this sooner. then again it's mostly people talking about new games they've tried or me ranting about bad game mechanics

Moola
didnt think to check the yob for broad games

my favorite board game of the month is Age of War

I like how it's kinda a gambling / dice game but also has some strategy to the randomness

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am currently on a yomi kick (get it? get it??) but i am pretty bad at it so i'm, also looking at battlecon

Machai

Battle on is great and so is netrunner which is having its world championships today

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

x wing is also having its first day of world champs today and my friends are all there. I'll go next time in May when there's a lesser chance at randomly getting snowed in at MSP.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah i know all about champs

finally got my gott danged car back so i was goign to go up to ffgc and drink some beers and play some games this weekend but it's all closed n poo poo for champs, wtf

I Was The Fury

I picked up the Essential Edition of Viticulture, and it is a fun game! I like worker placement, and I enjoyed trying to optimize fields so I could fill out my wine orders a turn before my opponents could. I also picked up the invasion expansion for Orleans, as well as Mage Wars Academy but have not had a chance to play either yet. Finally, I picked up Pot Farm as a novelty, and enjoyed playing it. I probably enjoyed it because it is easy, I was smoking weed the whole time, and I always without fail find weed themed items entertaining.

Tonight I am having a few friends over and I am going to try and force viticulture again will probably give in when Miranda pushes for Machi Koro because I enjoy it despite losing almost every time.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

never tried viticulture but I already have enough worker placement games. enjoy! I wish they made a legacy worker placement game instead of just classic games with a legacy component attached.

been on a broom service and FCM kick lately. getting a little witch miniature as a bravest witch reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

brought some board games home for Xmas.
Family really loves codenames. Everyone's second language is English so it's not really a barrier.

Team leader: dragon 2
*deliberation*
Me: fire
*TL puts opposing team color on card*
Me: what?!?
Cousin, on my team: I told you it wasn't fire! How can it be fire? What if it's a water dragon or earth dragon like in DBZ???
Turns out it was scale/sky :|

• Locked thread