Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

For those of you that have Escalades (or any GM car or one of several other brands), run your VIN through compnine.com, it costs a couple bucks, but gives you an instant list of all the RPO codes your car/truck came with. It was invaluable in cutting through the bullshit of sellers as I was looking for this one. And this one was by far the most loaded one I looked at.

A bit late for this but most post 2000 GM stuff I can run the VINs on and give you the full build sheet of RPOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks like a nice truck meatchimp.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You don't really want nav that's that old anyway. Don't pay for that poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

If I need a spare on the front, I can just rotate a back wheel to the front and put the spare on back there.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do no matter what anyway? I didn't think you wanted donuts on the front wheels, ever. I don't want to rely on it to turn or brake with that lovely little contact patch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

I was able to glue most of the paint back, but will need some serious touch-up when I get the paint.

We need pics of this poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Depends on the gas station. If I were to fill up a 17 gallon tank from empty with 87 vs 91 at the one by my apartment, I'd be looking at about a $9 difference.

Yep, it's not $0.20 more than 87 like it used to be. :(

I would seriously doubt that they didn't have a different calibration for different octanes. If it doesn't require 91/93, I'd dump 87 in it and run it into the ground...if it hadn't already been done. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

I run premium simply to avoid ethanol, but I guess that's less of a big deal on newer cars.

What's your reasoning here? I doubt the payoff of slightly better fuel economy offsets the price. Assume you have something old and ethanol is going to kill your seals and o-rings?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Think of a knock sensor like an o2 sensor. It's just giving feedback to which the ECM makes adjustment, and it only does it in the retarded direction. All it is is a microphone anyway, and probably can't pinpoint which cylinder is even knocking so it makes the adjustment across the board. The timing is set by the ECM calibration via a few tables, and is usually optimized for whatever the recommended fuel is. If for some reason they already had a cal for higher octane fuel I suppose that could be used, but the knock sensor is going to pick up a lot more activity and continually be retarding timing. It will try to learn back up to the table value and keep getting knocked (no pun intended) back down since the octane is insufficient to prevent detonation.

I can't imagine they would do it this way but who knows. Also: who cares it's an Avalon and 5hp won't make a difference. :rice:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ouch. I had heard decent things about them price wise but sounds like they have the same chinesium poo poo for most of their stuff. They're even local to me and I decided to go with something more trusted. Hopefully they make it right because I'm sure shipping something that heavy isn't cheap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have no idea. I can only chuckle that you aren't learning your lesson with buying cheap parts and not being satisfied at the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Which begs the question of why you're doing it in the first place? Alas,

Seminal Flu posted:

You have no sense of adventure...

:v:

Yeah, I'm done ruining cars with mods that are cheap or lovely in some way that make me want to drive them less. It's happened to me too many times.

• Locked thread