Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe the scimitar/falchion attack you were looking for is a two-handed attack. It was the follow-up one-handed strong attack in Dark Souls, which annoyed me, and I was surprised to find it in Demon's as well when I went back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

They were planning to shut down the Demon's Souls servers a few years ago, and even announced the shutdown date. But the players protested, and the company saw that there was still an active online community, so they decided to leave the servers up as long as people are using them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If you haven't worked it out yet, Crescent weapons give you MP regen and also do magic damage as well as physical damage. The downside is that they only scale with Magic, but they're a great source of damage early on even if your Magic stat is low. If you're actually using magic, it's probably the best type of weapon you can get, and it's available really early. It's how I beat Armor Spider, for example - I don't know if that counts as "cheesing" the boss, but I consider any method I can use to be effectively cheating, so it probably is.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It was a long time before I bothered to fight those skeletons. Someone pointed me to the shortcut in the same stream where they pointed me to the Crescent Falchion and that's how I made any progress in Demon's Souls ever.

I need to make an LP showing just how bad it's possible to be at the Souls games and still beat them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The proper way to determine whether Thomas is holding an item is to check his inventory, not yours. Although, since you failed to deposit any of your upgrade stones, it's probably for the best that you didn't also take the heavy shield.

The first person who summoned you was a jerk who didn't want you to get a reward for helping to kill the boss, so they banished you once Flamelurker was at low enough health that they could finish the job easily. You can only hope they died horribly immediately after that, since you can't rate them a D when they banish you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You really want to use a club instead of a pickaxe for that upgrade, if only because it doesn't require any upgrading to get to the critical point. There's one across the wooden bridge in 2-1 that you have to run across before it collapses. I'm also sure one of the merchants must sell one, but I don't know offhand which one. Probably the one in Boletarian Palace, who I expect will be in the next video.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Storm Ruler sword is a favorite for PvP, because even without the sky-rending attack, its knockback is amazing. You just have to watch the durability. And never return to the Storm Ruler's Archstone unless you want to die quickly. It's a short, much safer hike from the Old Hero's Archstone.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Moonlightstone is used to add magic damage to a weapon much like in later Souls games. Darkmoonstone also adds magic damage, but removes all but Magic scaling from the affected weapon, and also adds an MP regeneration effect. There's a Moon Shortsword in Maneater's arena if you want to check out the weapon type without making a +6 or whatever weapon and upgrading that. I still stick with the Crescent Falchion for most of the game, and still sort of want to make a "How to Beat Demon's Souls with No Skill Whatsoever" series that ends with picking it up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Poison is really nasty in Demon's Souls because not only can you not see the meters, but it also cuts all of your healing in half. At least it doesn't drain your health very quickly, so you can usually power through it (and that's generally the best option, even though those jellyfish drop all the lotuses you could ever want). On the plus side, you just picked up one of the more effective magic-blocking shields in the game, although it's in the shape of a sword.

Selen Vinland is, in my opinion, one of the hardest NPCs to find. Most of them, you might stumble across while you happen to be in Pure White Tendency. You have to go pretty out of your way to bump into her, and even then, it's tricky to get any reward for the journey. At least there IS a reward, as opposed to some other NPCs I could name.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Do they fall off after a certain point? Or did the flies basically become an instant-lose condition once they took for you?

All of the health-draining conditions eventually wear off on their own. Some are just enough of a drain that you're unlikely to last that long.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Aw, poor Ostrava. If he's dead, I think that means there's no way to complete his "quest" is there?

The key he dropped should be somewhere.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Key items despawn permanently? Wow. They really should have made that one of the items that spawns right into your inventory, then. Or did they not do those until Dark Souls? I"m trying to remember now whether the invasion stone spawns right into your inventory or whether you have to pick it up as spoils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You can still meet Miralda in Pure Black World Tendency - she drops her weapon if you kill her. And I think her area is meant for immediately after you beat Phalanx, since you'll be in Pure White at that point. You can also head to the dragon area at that point - in Pure White tendency, they're not there.

• Locked thread