Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aaah, this is where the thread title comes from!

I just started rewatching Squint's old LP because it seems I can't get enough Souls in my life, and it's staggering how much better the videos look now that technology has progressed. You're also not doing half bad even compared to his well-informed playthrough, so I'm already pumped for the next episode! Hope you get your revenge on that Red Eyes Knight soon...your Dagger was really doing good work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think this is exactly how you're supposed to do Phalanx. Excluding being even more wasteful: using Turpentine on your weapon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think I have used resins a grand total of three times during my Souls playing career, though a bit more recently to apply extra bleed in DS3 because that just works incredibly well and is, well, the basis of the build. Especially against tough-ish bosses I keep thinking "man if I die this will have been a total waste"...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Firebombs and Turpentine are how you're supposed to take down Phalanx. You were Doing It Right.

Also that soul he dropped will later let you make the spear that's still stuck outside of the Phalanx gate. It's not great for PvE, but memory serves it was a somewhat popular PvP choice at one point?

And giving the hairpin to Stockpile Thomas is absolutely the correct choice. IIRC it only has exactly one other use and it's sooooooooo not worth it.
The spear erodes armor, it's a weapon to be a super dick to other players and nothing else. There are a few more I know of, mostly spells though. DeS did a lot of things right with its online mode right out of the gate, but there were some weird decisions made for sure.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gotta say, those chamaeleon salamander lizards are pretty cute foes :kimchi:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gotta say, that chaos argater is a pretty cute LPer :kimchi:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Adjudicator's Shield did get a shout-out in Dark Souls 3:

The picture is different, but the shape is the same, and it also regenerates health.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That lock-on death was total bullshit.

If I understood correctly, you have most of the game (all of it?) recorded by now, so I'm just going to ask instead of formulating it as advice: do you ever get told (or figure it out) that you can and should put all your upgrade material into storage, because you can upgrade stuff even if the stones are with Thomas?

Or did you do that already and I didn't see it correctly?

Carry burden is such a dumb mechanic...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's great to see you finally triumph over skeleton hell.

Adjudicator's music is fantastically goofy, I love it. Also pretty interesting fight, I think. Just puzzly enough to make you ponder a bit. And simple enough for a boss after such a tough and long boss run (don't fight is still best tactic).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This entire area has always looked like a giant pain in the rear end to me. The fundrop down a deep dank shaft is cool enough, including obviously intended roll-physics fuckery to no plaster yourself along the ground, but the cave system is its own kind of hell. I am very surprised you immediately got to the end of it, watching Squint's old videos got me helplessly lost, and I wasn't playing. You even have multiple stopping points along the shaft where you can branch out, but of course that opportunity is gone if you choose the wrong side to fall down and argh.

Also, by many people's accounts the hardest boss in the game at the end.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Looking it up, Flamelurker is more resistant to Slash and Pierce than Normal and Blunt, but has absolutely pitiful Magic defense. Your slashy sword was basically useless and even a +1 Crescent Falchion easily tore him up, not to mention the sticky white stuff which TRIPLED your damage.

Personally, if I see a weapon deal less than triple digit damage in a boss fight, I assume I must be doing something wrong - I do admit though that it's complete bullshit that Flamelurker is strong against most physical attacks AND completely immune to fire. They really, really wanted you to use Magic in this fight, and I think the push is too strong. Sure, it's possible with physical melee damage, but Demon's Souls is far more rock-paper-scissors than other Souls games, it seems. Also very noticeable with the skeletons in 4-1: I watched an LP where someone was actually doing far, FAR more damage with their fists against them than with a basic Shortsword, because they are so weak against Blunt damage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Being able to hit him in the head with magic to ignore the gimmick entirely went to Yhorm :iamafag:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The R2 on the Longsword seems to do a ridiculously higher amount of damage than the R1s do, so maybe that was part of it...but I could be unsure. Damage in Demon's always confuses me because some enemies are wildly resistant to some elements completely out of nowhere, in a way that later Souls games don't really do - like single digit with a slash but triple digit with a poke of the same weapon. Also, the difference between slow but highly damaging weapons and the faster slashy types is astounding, especially coming off DS3 where the former are almost never worth it unless you really pump the damage, while normal-rear end Straight Swords can do completely absurd numbers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

whoops. I meant 26. THat would explain why 25 sounds fine.

weirdly on a refresh it is fine. Youtube hyjinks, I guess.
I've also had this happen on some of the videos, can't remember if it happened with other vids or if it's specifically Argate's. At some point like 10 minutes in, suddenly the audio started playing from the beginning again, even though the video continued as normal. Took a few refreshes to fix, happened with more than one video.

I had another glitch recently where a video was just a gray square, audio normal (not from Argate). loving strange. Could only watch on Chrome, not Firefox. The latter seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on, unless the next update fixes things big time I'm seriously considering switching. Though if you are not using Firefox, then I don't know if the problems lie elsewhere ;).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lmbo at the guy going "I'mma troll the noobs with my crazy WoGing and the Dozarrrr Axe" and getting owned repeatedly with choice application of Meat Cleaver to cranium

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Swedish Howler's constant failures are the funniest loving thing, God drat. Maybe even funnier than YOUR constant failures Argate!!! OHOHOHOHO :gary:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Deutscher Heuler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Deutsches Kichern

• Locked thread