Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I never hurt you in anger (Blackstone Chronicles VLP)

John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure in Terror is a point&click adventure game with a very long name. It was released in 1998 as the sequel to John Saul's serial novel Blackstone Chronicles published in six parts between 1996 and 1998. It's a forgettable book completely overshadowed by the game it spawned.

John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure in Terror was designed and written by Bob Bates, who earlier worked on a number of late Infocom's and early Legend Entertainment's interactive fiction pieces, such as Gateway 1&2, Eric the Unready and Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels (the game where you can shoot Holmes dead less than a minute in).

John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure in Terror is horror game achieving its effect without the use of jump scares, buckets of blood or mass hysteria. It's a very chill and collected trip through the history of pre-neuroleptic psychiatric treatment, when healing the mind usually involved systematically hurting the body.
I'm keeping my commentary to a minimum here because the game has lots of good but unsubtitled narration.

THE UPDATES:

01. The Villain.

02. The Temperature.

03. The Delusion.

04. The Shock.

05. The Table.

06. The Pain.

07. The Secret.

The information terminal archive:

I.

quote:

quote:

quote:

II.

quote:

quote:

III.

quote:

quote:

IV.

quote:

quote:

V.

quote:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This looks pretty interesting. I'm always down for some subtle horror. Reminds me of Shivers, what with the player going through an unfinished museum and all.

Shame about the animation, though. That is loving rough.

Do you actually have a time limit, or is it just for story?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm playing with the Hi-Res animation option :colbert:

TheMcD posted:

Do you actually have a time limit, or is it just for story?
The overall limit is for the story, but there are timed puzzles for which you always have everything required to solve them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah poo poo thanks for this. I have a soft spot for 90's multimedia type PC adventure games and I always heard this game was good but it was really hard to run even if you had a computer running XP.

It definitely has that 90's cheese but I like Malcolm's VA, the atmosphere is neat so far, and the puzzles so far aren't old school bullshit.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 30, 2016

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Oh boy, I

1) love Bob Bates and Legend Ent's graphical text adventures to death (I even LP'ed Gateway on another site);

2) remember playing this in my early teens and being poo poo scared (yeah, I know), and not hearing or remembering anything about it since

Basically,
:allears:

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 30, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
gently caress You Ghost Dad.

I missed out on most of these games in the 90s, being more inclined towards the Sierra/Lucasarts style, but this looks really good.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 31, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's get this therapy session started for real.

02. The Temperature.

quote:

quote:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This game is tickling fears I never quite knew I had, and I'm not sure what to make of that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, the weird slide show when he walks seems almost like an artistic choice of the game. As long as the sound runs good then whatevs.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
This is very interesting so far, will definitely keep an eye on this.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I toured an old asylum (More modern than Blackstone, but still doing the whole museum thing) in Missouri when I was a teenager. I don't even remember which asylum it was, but the hydrotherapy rooms are still vivid for me. They had a much larger cold-water tub that looked to be set up for rapid immersion. Like a creepier carnival dunk tank.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Double post, but do the hint and answer options on the game over screen hurt anything? Like is there a score that's being tabulated and those apply a penalty? Or does Ghost Dad just smarm disappointedly at you?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dareon posted:

Double post, but do the hint and answer options on the game over screen hurt anything? Like is there a score that's being tabulated and those apply a penalty? Or does Ghost Dad just smarm disappointedly at you?
I believe you simply get a text box with some guidance, and there's no score for you to ruin.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm so disappointed that the forums no longer have the "No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad" thread tag.

The quality of the writing and the voice acting on this is blowing me away. For something released in 1998 it's astonishing, better than most VA today. I guess it helps that the medium they're working in -- the voiceover rather than showing the character talking -- is so well suited to the level of the technology they're working with.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Whybird posted:

I'm so disappointed that the forums no longer have the "No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad" thread tag.

The quality of the writing and the voice acting on this is blowing me away. For something released in 1998 it's astonishing, better than most VA today. I guess it helps that the medium they're working in -- the voiceover rather than showing the character talking -- is so well suited to the level of the technology they're working with.
I'd say Oliver's VA is kind of stilted and goofy, but for the most part I'd agree. As I said I like Malcolm's voice, he's got this mix of condescension and this sort of malice hidden behind trying to act fatherly. Like him describing his son slowly getting boiled alive in a such a clinical, matter of fact tone was nicely done. He's not some cackling psychopath that gets off on people's suffering, he's a sociopath genuinely convinced that what he does is best for everyone.

It's a shame that this isn't on GOG, I would have loved to go into this blind because its just as really good as I heard, but better to experience it through this LP then not at all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

03. The Delusion.

quote:

quote:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, this is hitting all the right buttons. Things like wrongful committment and old medical procedures, particularly on the psychiatric end, are some of those fairly specific things that are frightening to me on a different level than what standard horror covers.

This game being really well made helps a lot.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
This is an interesting read. It is from 1887 but if you are interested in the history of mental care you will like it.
Ten days in a Madhouse By Nellie Bly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

04. The Shock.

quote:

quote:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Goodnight Malcolm!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm hoping that the ghosts are real and that Ollie didn't just kill his son and bury him in the asylum basement and the whole game is him having a huge mental breakdown because that would be a bit too obvious. The game seems to have better writing than that.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Oh, do I gots me a lovin' for Legend adventures! Better yet, I hadn't actually heard of this one before, so I'll be :f5: ing this thread to kingdom come

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo, the treatments mentioned in the video actually existed :stare: Yeah, that's a lot more horrifying than any number of ghosties and ghoulies you can name.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

inscrutable horse posted:

Oh, do I gots me a lovin' for Legend adventures! Better yet, I hadn't actually heard of this one before, so I'll be :f5: ing this thread to kingdom come
It was actually their last one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh yeah, a countdown to brain damage at best and death at worst. That's just amazing. And by "amazing", I mean "probably a fixture in my nightmares from now on".

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Man, the history of mental health care is fascinating to me. Brutality done with the best intentions is such a Victorian mindset it seems completely alien to me.

Excellent work with the LP so far - Gateway was one of the very first video games I ever played as a child and I've had a soft spot for Legend games ever since.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have been waiting for a chance to go into depth about these things since the history of mental care and asylums is one of my big interests, especially during the late Victorian era, but so far the game has done a better job describing the methods accurately than I ever could.
The creepiest thing in this game to me is the museum descriptions of things, insisting on portraying even the most horrific treatments in a positive light. For example, one side effect of hydro therapy was the patients skin actually sloughing off because they were left in the water for so long.

(My last post started out with me meaning to elaborate and ended with me just linking ten days in a madhouse instead.)

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 7, 2016

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

It was actually their last one.

That's a crying shame :( As far as adventure games go, they were always massively eclipsed by basically anything by Lucasarts or Sierra, and you could (but I won't) argue that it was deserved, but I always felt Legend were consistently better at building up an atmosphere, particularly in their sci-fi adventures. The aforementioned Gateway games, and Mission Critical as well, remain my favourite adventures to this day.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Just caught up with this thread.
Holy Cripes, I never knew this game existed.

Or course, Selenic, you're pleasant voice is always appreciated, but the voice acting in this game is surprisingly good.
(except for the boy's. child actors: not even once)

The voice of the father, Malcom Metcalf, sounded incredibly familiar.
I thought I pinned down Tony Jay, who voiced the Elder God in the Legacy of Kain series.
Nope.
Some guy I never heard of called Henry Strozier, silver screen and flat-screen actor and man about town.

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo, the treatments mentioned in the video actually existed :stare: Yeah, that's a lot more horrifying than any number of ghosties and ghoulies you can name.

In High-school, I got to take a class in psychology and for about a month Mrs. Carney went through all these types of treatments, what alienists THOUGHT they were doing, and why these methods were brutally misguided.
By far, the worse is/was lobotomy. *shiver*
Hope we don't go there.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Grimwit posted:

Hope we don't go there.

If we do, I'm throwing a drinking fountain through a window and getting out of here.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Man the voice acting in this is fun. I love how much they put in.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Grimwit posted:

Hope we don't go there.

Well the first transorbital lobotomy was performed in 1947 in the US, and the asylum is known for being forward thinking so it is well within the time frame.
Lobotomy was horribly prevalent in Scandinavia by the way. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Scandinavian hospitals lobotomized 2.5 times as many people per capita as hospitals in the US. Sweden lobotomized at least 4,500 people between 1944 and 1966, mainly women. This figure includes young children. In Norway, there were 2,500 known lobotomies. In Denmark, there were 4,500 known lobotomies, mainly young women, as well as mentally retarded children.

There is a great documentary about it called "Det Vita Snittet", I'd reccomend it to anyone who knows Swedish or can find a subtitled version.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Thesaya posted:

There is a great documentary about it called "Det Vita Snittet", I'd reccomend it to anyone who knows Swedish or can find a subtitled version.

I have this bad fear of lobotomy.

To lobotomize, you are removing one's agency of thought.
That is
NIGHTMARISH!

I can only hope they won't know how to depict a lobotomized ghost.
I take comfort in such thoughts.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So you think lobotomy is bad... :allears:

05. The Table.

quote:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Why bother writing horror fiction when you already have history? :unsmigghh: Jesus gently caress that got dark...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

inscrutable horse posted:

Why bother writing horror fiction when you already have history? :unsmigghh: Jesus gently caress that got dark...

No poo poo :stare: This stuff's scarier than any amount of Outlasts, Amnesias and the like.

EDIT: Yeah, so I was still somewhat in disbelief about the practices mentioned in the video, but a cursory Google and Wikipedia search shows that they really did exist :stonk:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's like this game is just constantly looking for a new line to cross. I'm not sure I want to know if it still has an ace up its sleeve.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The thing is, the lines it crosses? Were actual practices in real life. poo poo, given a choice between talking to people who aren't there and being lobotomized or put through psychosurgery, you don't have to be crazy to prefer the former.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CommissarMega posted:

The thing is, the lines it crosses? Were actual practices in real life. poo poo, given a choice between talking to people who aren't there and being lobotomized or put through psychosurgery, you don't have to be crazy to prefer the former.

Yeah, the astonishing thing is that the game is basically just that one professor that makes all the first semester med students puke by telling stories and bringing out particularly wonderful specimens, but it just pulls it off really, really well. Top marks for execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The most chilling thing I've seen in these videos is how pops coldly and clinically explains to you how he is killing you. Or you're killing yourself. Or ghosts are killing you. I'm not 100% clear on what's going on.

Late edit:

Aaaah, THERE'S the cartoonish supervillainy

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 10, 2016

• Locked thread