Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, so either Sara lied about going to see Group B, or else she must have access to some kind of faster-than-train travel. Team B left Trista at 6 AM for about a 12-hour train ride (they said they wouldn't arrive until the evening, so let's say 6 PM), Sara left Celdic to go see group B at about 6 PM yesterday, for what would have been a 13 hour trip by train (1 hour to Celdic, then 12 hours to Parma), and now she's back here at about 6 PM again. So she wants us to believe that she has traveled 26 hours by train in 24 hours, PLUS whatever time she needed to take to sort out group B. That's just flat-out impossible to do by train.

Alisa: "It's an interesting approach, but honestly, I've never heard of any other military academy trying it."

Good point. Seems like maybe Class VII is being trained to go right into Special Forces (where the Arcus units would also be most useful). Woah, Rean directly lampshades that they're literally doing Bracer stuff. I guess the Erebonia branches are still recovering from the events which were keeping Cassius busy in TitS FC.

No one has heard of the Schwarzers until Rean says it? Well... I guess there are probably a ton of noble families in that giant country.

Why does that guy have a mask and voice alteration thing when he clearly works for the glasses guy? Answer: To hide his secret identity from the audience because we might know who that is, or will see his unmasked face in an innocent guise before his treachery is revealed. Aha, so Sara works for the Imperial Intelligence division. That makes sense since Olivert is clearly involved in the creation of Class VII and he definitely has some Imperial Intelligence ties.

I was expecting that completing a chapter would give a big boost of link XP, that must explain how the other classmates links with non-Rean people can advance past 1.

Hmmm... I'm tempted to say leave Rean on the bench, but I'll just suggest leaving Elliot on the bench instead. He's got the second most party time after Rean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... I'm tempted to say leave Rean on the bench,

:gonk:

This is why I was hesitant to give the thread any input on my team composition at all. Losing Resounding Beat would be bad enough, but losing Rean?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

No one has heard of the Schwarzers until Rean says it? Well... I guess there are probably a ton of noble families in that giant country.

It's not so much no one has heard of them, so much as they're a family of rather minor nobles (Baron is decently far down the list in importance) in control of a small territory in a rather remote area of the country, and generally keep themselves apart from court politics to boot. As mentioned, they apparently have a good relationship with the imperial family but, given their aversion to court politics, it's somewhat pointless to try and curry favor with them in order to get in good with the emperor, so there's not even that reason to remember them.

So while their name probably comes up in the education of most noble houses - since one needs to know who all the power players are, after all - they're not even remotely on the list of those houses that you "actively need to know."

edit: Also, Laura's family is itself mostly aloof from court politics, so memorizing all the various noble houses is probably of lesser importance for her than most nobles. It's possible Jusis may have recognized the name and just hasn't bothered correcting the misinformation - none of his business - and we've not seen much interaction with the non-Class 7 students.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 5, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jusis probably doesn't care what Rean says about himself and since the Schwarzers aren't big on court politics, Machias probably hasn't heard of them.

Fie, Emma and Gaius don't care.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Is this Gaius on bench for exploration and Laura for boss fight?

If you want to interpret it that way, sure.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Erebonia has a crapload of nobles and there's an entire hierarchy among them. There's two dukes (Jusis' dad is one of them) who rank right at the top, with two marquises right under them. (the dad of the stuck-up Class 1 student is one of them) Those four make up the Four Great Houses. Then you have all sorts of counts, viscounts and barons, who rank lower. You occasionally come across townfolk who are lower nobles who have to work ordinary jobs for a living and mainly differ from commoners in having a title or a few square selge of land to their name. Lower nobles are expected to grovel before the higher nobles just like the commoners do and they're just as uneasy around the higher aristocracy as commoners are.

Rean's parents are lower nobles who reign over a smaller area which is fairly remote and don't really get involved in the aristocratic circles much. (Laura's dad is similar, though I believe he ranks higher than the Schwarzers)

Some Numbers posted:

:gonk:

This is why I was hesitant to give the thread any input on my team composition at all. Losing Resounding Beat would be bad enough, but losing Rean?

Why give the thread input at all? Just switch folks in and out whenever you feel like it.

Okay, so either Sara lied about going to see Group B, or else she must have access to some kind of faster-than-train travel. Team B left Trista at 6 AM for about a 12-hour train ride (they said they wouldn't arrive until the evening, so let's say 6 PM), Sara left Celdic to go see group B at about 6 PM yesterday, for what would have been a 13 hour trip by train (1 hour to Celdic, then 12 hours to Parma), and now she's back here at about 6 PM again. So she wants us to believe that she has traveled 26 hours by train in 24 hours, PLUS whatever time she needed to take to sort out group B. That's just flat-out impossible to do by train.

While trains are the most common mode of transportation, orbal airships ARE a thing in Erebonia. They're just slightly less popular than they are in Liberl.

Why does that guy have a mask and voice alteration thing when he clearly works for the glasses guy? Answer: To hide his secret identity from the audience because we might know who that is, or will see his unmasked face in an innocent guise before his treachery is revealed.

Spoilers: his secret identity is that he's really an exiled Brittanian prince with a love for chess and an inner ham dying to get out. The mask is to block his mind-control eyes. :)

Oh, and there is a Trails-term for "dark Bracers". They're the Jaegers, even though they're not literally an evil Bracer Guild, they ARE mercenaries who solve people's problems for cash just like the Bracers do except they're not limited by the various rules, restrictions and guidelines the Bracers place upon themselves. (meaning they're usually hired for ethically questionable stuff that the Guild would refuse to participate in)

Erpy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 6, 2016

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Wow, the thread sure exploded. Well what can be said.

How convenient to have a video at this time, I just (somehow) ran out of videos to watch, lol.

Let's see....

First, regarding the travel times.....well actually that's a very complicated thing, They never do give us the distances, but they do give us the times.
I myself am quite a bit curious, but...well actually hunting down all the travelling times can't be too difficult.

The erebonian airships probably are faster (I myself don't know how fast the trains are, but 800 selge/h seems like a fair bet or so), than the liberl airships (maybe? who knows), plus you could argue that improvements in tech means increase in speeds. Still not sure, but what can be said.

This voting business got all weird but...well uh....Bench Gaius.

The whole thing about the party made me wonder if you could play as much as possible without Rean...but eh.

On a not really related note, I get the feeling I know who Erpy is...but I wouldn't be surprised.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 6, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

The erebonian airships probably are faster (I myself don't know how fast the trains are, but 800 selge/h seems like a fair bet or so), than the liberl airships (maybe? who knows), plus you could argue that improvements in tech means increase in speeds. Still not sure, but what can be said.

I don't think they're faster...Liberl is known as airship country IIRC and they're probably the ones investing most in flight technology. That said, one of the minor plot points of Trails in the Sky SC involved the development of a new, much more powerful, orbal airship engine. That was two years before Cold Steel. Technology has marched on considerably. It's quite possible passenger ships now use the same technology.

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

On a not really related note, I get the feeling I know who Erpy is...but I wouldn't be surprised.

:confused:

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
That being said, a page or so back I commented on how the provincial army's "old fashioned" single shot guns were more powerful than the newer assault rifle looking guns.
I dunno if they ever talk about Orbal Gun mechanics, but it does kind of make sense, since orbal shots seem to be not very lethal (or so), single shot guns would probably be more effective than multiple smaller shots.....but ultimately technobabble blah.

I myself am not sure how many people here are into Kiseki and all that (browsing a few other threads, old ones I might add, I do see Numbers, Cake Attack, and Really Pants every now and then, though that might just be a cognitive bias).

The irony is that the past few days or whatever, I've actually come up with a number of questions...though even then ultimately it's kind of awkward to ask CS questions given how CS2 is coming out "soon"

Watching this LP does refresh my memory of some of the events, but even then my brain itself is unable to memorize down the tiny details.
And I'm actually the type of person who watches LPs and goes "LPer you forgot this thing" or something, so I dunno.

#Re: Travelling.
Without going into too much, I find the distances and such to be very..awkward. Let me consult a map...
If Trista to Heimdallr is about 30-60 mins (40 minutes, I believe they said?), and Trista to Parm is 12 hours(?), then Parm would be insanely far from Heimdallr. I honestly am not sure if it's a case of writers cannot do math, because to me it feels like they just wanted to say "Hey Folks Erebonia is (CENSORED) BIG!", because looking at the map, Erebonia must be much bigger than what we've seen
Or, you know, the maps aren't to scale or something.
This is why they probably didn't want to give us a map or something.
I'd comment more but the rest are spoilers, so eh.
It can be argued that, trains that don't run east-west are slower...but eh.

The distances thing is actually related to a CS2 question I had but....maybe I'd be motivated to do some more research on this. Not that there's that much (easily findable) information anyway.
This, coming from a person who wrote down every distance marker in Liberl

Edit 1.1: Fixed mistake, Parm is to the south....although that doesn't solve the overall problem.

Edit 1.2: After watching the video....July 16? That's like 2/3 weeks ago by this point. Well I dunno.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 6, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well...Parma is south, and Trista only has one line, going east-west. Celdic has an east-west line, but another one going south. So I suppose that part of the time thing might be that Group B had to go first to Heimdallar and then take a train going south or southeast, whereas Sara COULD have taken a train south/southwest from Celdic which would be shorter than Group B's route... but if she went, I still think that she must have taken another method of transportation.

It could certainly have been an airship since she never said that she was taking the train to see Group B. I don't remember a landing port around Celdic, but if they are the "Great Market" and import goods from Liberl, it's not improbable that they have one. Even if there is a local landing port, I doubt that Sara would be taking a regular commercial flight, though. There's way too much that she's not saying to the students.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I know. If I knew how to fix it, I would. :sigh:

Maybe ask in the Tech Support fort and change things on that guy's end, and record a few test clips (under 1 minute) to try and improve it. It used to work fine just a few videos ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Maybe ask in the Tech Support fort and change things on that guy's end, and record a few test clips (under 1 minute) to try and improve it. It used to work fine just a few videos ago.

We just recorded and there were no issues.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
This is Good Discussion and it will definitely be useful later.

Incidentally, if anyone's trying to avoid spoilers? Avoid the Cold Steel 2 website like the plague

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Time for more in class hijinx!

Episode 24: Intermediate Mathematics for Dummies
No Commentary

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So Sara did indeed show up to see Group B. That means it's pretty much guaranteed that she used an airship or something else to travel back and forth. The game developers could have made the travel time into much less of a big deal if they'd said it would take approximately 6 hours to travel to Parm from Trista. That would have left plenty of room

Class might end at 4 PM, but it is 6 days a week. And them ending at 4 PM isn't that early for high school. Classes probably start early since all students are housed within walking distance of the school.

Um, yes, Rean, you WERE trying to deceive Machias. That's why you phrased it so carefully. Just say "Sorry I lied, but after your reaction the last time someone mentioned being a noble, I didn't feel like being lectured." Or maybe "Sorry I lied, but prejudging all nobles as jerks is pretty douchy of you."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

He didn't lie! What he said was technically true and carefully worded to avoid any issues with Machias.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In all honesty Machias has zero ground to stand on himself, what with being the prime minister's son but not mentioning that and claiming they were all equal until Jusis called him on it. Sure he's still technically a commoner, but pretending there aren't different tiers of importance among commoners is just as ludicrous as claiming all nobles are of the same importance.

This is hardly going to stop him from being a massive hypocrite though.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
They kind of have to make the travel time a big deal, kind of, because of the whole size thing...and even then I'm not too sure.
The thing to note is that airships, even if they're not "very" fast, cut the travel time drastically (somehow) simply because they fly. I don't understand how it applies to straight line travel, but for now anyway, yeah. Airships are kind of a like a handwavy plot device thingy the writers use to smoothen out things without talking too much about them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
While Elliot accidentally slighted Patrick by saying that ranked slightly below the Albareas, Jusis got a more subtle (but very deliberate) burn in by specifically addressing Patrick as "the third son of the Hyarms family", and as such not even the official future head of the family.

Um, yes, Rean, you WERE trying to deceive Machias. That's why you phrased it so carefully. Just say "Sorry I lied, but after your reaction the last time someone mentioned being a noble, I didn't feel like being lectured." Or maybe "Sorry I lied, but prejudging all nobles as jerks is pretty douchy of you."

Rean didn't handle that one very well. Almost a minute after Rean gave his answer, Laura showed him how it was done by telling Machias: "I'm aware of your opinions. Yes, I'm a noble, but neither my family nor I have ever done something to shame us in the eyes of Aidios". In response Machias gets a little uncomfortable, drops the matter and he never brings it up with her again.

Some Numbers posted:

He didn't lie! What he said was technically true and carefully worded to avoid any issues with Machias.

You could argue that Rean did lie. Machias didn't ask if any of them had noble blood. He specifically inquired about their social class and while Rean's genetic makeup may be unclear, his social class isn't. The fact that he answered Machias' question with "we're all on equal standing here" meant he did lie. Of course, Machias' outlook was kind of black-and-white while Rean's situation is kinda grey and he could be excused for not wanting to press Machias' obvious berserk button, but it WAS a lie, even if it was a lie by omission and a white lie by omission at that.

Lord Koth posted:

In all honesty Machias has zero ground to stand on himself, what with being the prime minister's son but not mentioning that and claiming they were all equal until Jusis called him on it. Sure he's still technically a commoner, but pretending there aren't different tiers of importance among commoners is just as ludicrous as claiming all nobles are of the same importance.

This is hardly going to stop him from being a massive hypocrite though.

Little nitpick: Carl Regnitz is not the prime minister, he's the imperial governor. He governs the areas that are not directly under the control of a noble house, which is essentially the capital of Heimdallr, its surrounding cities (like Trista) and the "special economic zones". While definitely a guy with lots of clout, he's by no means as influential as a prime minister since the vast majority of the country consists of territory under the direct control of one of the feudal lords.

Second of all, while Machias's attitude is extremely black-and-white, he isn't being a hypocrite in this case. Despite his dad being a powerful man, (very, very minor spoilers for Chapter 4) Machias' home is a modest residence in a working class neighborhood and he lived the same life as the rest of the people there attending the same Sunday School sessions as the rest of the kids in the neighborhood. The fact he was in the top 2 highest scores on the entrance exams means that even if his dad was in a position to pull strings, there was never need to. Machias didn't achieve his near-top score because he attended a prestigious prep school, but simply because he's a gigantic overachiever who spends every free minute he has studying to improve his grades.

So while Erebonia DOES have somewhat of a nouveau riche class among the commoners consisting mostly of succesful businesspeople whose wealth allows them to live like nobles to some degree, Machias himself doesn't belong to that group.

On another note: Sara's remarks like "study hard because if you don't, the vice-principal is gonna get on my case" are a recurring theme in the game and the class' reaction quickly evolves from an incredulous "are you joking?" to an utterly jaded "you really are Erebonia's suckiest instructor, aren't you?" as the game goes on.

Rean's version of Estelle's classic "I am SO done with your poo poo"-expression in the sky-series is in 9 out of 10 cases a reaction to stuff that Sara says or does and it never fails to be amusing. :D

EDIT: BTW, I believe there's a little scene with Emma and Fie at this point that you will miss if you head straight to the dorms like you said you were going to do.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

EDIT: BTW, I believe there's a little scene with Emma and Fie at this point that you will miss if you head straight to the dorms like you said you were going to do.

You're going to see me react to missing this in the next episode.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Don't you have multiple saves?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

Don't you have multiple saves?

Anyone LP'ing any game which allows multiple saves should naturally keep several saves. Perhaps at the same time he gets this scene, he could also load that much older one where he missed Sara drunk in the dorm lounge.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Anyone LP'ing any game which allows multiple saves should naturally keep several saves. Perhaps at the same time he gets this scene, he could also load that much older one where he missed Sara drunk in the dorm lounge.

I actually didn't have a save primed for that one, so I ran through the entire prologue again just to save at that point.

I haven't recorded it yet, but when I do, I hope you guys are happy.

I can also get to the Emma/Fie scene with minimal additional effort. Though I won't gain the benefit from the extra link EXP unless I do the whole Free Day again and...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

I will admit to being spoiled by Sky's autosaves and not doing this nearly as often as I should.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Today, we officially start Chapter 2 by talking with a bunch of people. A lot.

Also, there's some Bonding Events, which means EVEN MORE TALKING.

Episode 25: The Rean-Bean-Machine
No commentary

I also just updated the second post. I was apparently way further behind than I thought.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 12, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Estelle's hair color is actually referred to as "chestnut" in the game, which I'd put more in the brown-category. Agate's a straight-up redhead.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Estelle's hair color is actually referred to as "chestnut" in the game, which I'd put more in the brown-category. Agate's a straight-up redhead.

It's always super interesting to post these episodes weeks after they're recorded, because I don't always remember exactly what we discussed in them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That motorcycle shouldn't sound like that because it doesn't have a combustion engine! (I know, I know, I'm being just as annoyingly nitpicky as the commentators. Sorry.)

I do kinda like the subtle way the game shows how close Rean is to the others by whether he knocks on their doors or just barges into their rooms. Although that did prompt some teasing in the case of Sara. I feel like I don't even need to point out that she's clearly hiding things from Rean when even he notices how smoothly she evades questions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I do kinda like the subtle way the game shows how close Rean is to the others by whether he knocks on their doors or just barges into their rooms.

Yeah, I think that works really well.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was the game one of you was thinking of Lufia?

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
In all honesty (not really a spoiler) 90% of the reason why I'm watching this is
To see the bonding events.
Since this is a NG+, IIRC I was told there were some changes to the storyline, but unless it's very blatant and in your face I doubt I'd notice.
Presumably I could also watch to see the "broken combos", but I find non broken combos to be a bit more interesting.

That being said, 50% or more of the time I can't actually hear the commentary, so...I dunno
To me, like, half the time the commentary is about stuff that isn't really related to the game, and the other half, it's related to the game, but it's mostly talking about negative comments

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Since this is a NG+, IIRC I was told there were some changes to the storyline, but unless it's very blatant and in your face I doubt I'd notice.

I can think of one thing that I've heard is different in NG+, but I don't have a non-NG+ save to compare so... V:shobon:V

PM me if you're really curious, it's not for a LONG time.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Even though I've been on the forums for a while, I actually have no idea how to PM, or some of the other things on this forum (as evidenced by my lack of a profile picture -_-)

I am aware of 1 specific change and 1 less specific one, but I dunno that much.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

I can think of one thing that I've heard is different in NG+, but I don't have a non-NG+ save to compare so... V:shobon:V

PM me if you're really curious, it's not for a LONG time.

From what I hear, it's that one thing near the end. I haven't heard of any other changes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Today's episode contains more Bonding Events and more Student Council tasks. In other words, SO MUCH TALKING.

Episode 26: Names and Dates Are the Stupidest Parts of History
No commentary

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Ah, man, you missed talking to him again to find out why Makarov wanted that subscription.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Goddammit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I am guessing that the student council president and Crow are not going to be party members, so if you're on your first run and have limited bonding points, is it worth spending bonding time with them? Does it grant any bonuses to gameplay?

I also don't see why Gaius being from the Nord Highlands would be a big deal. I'm sure lots of people are from there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I also don't see why Gaius being from the Nord Highlands would be a big deal. I'm sure lots of people are from there.

I haven't watched the video so I'm not sure what's been explained yet, but it's not a part of the empire and has a very different culture. Gaius' circumstances are somewhat unique.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Incidentally the reason that you can't selectively invoke the fifth amendment is to prevent people from avoiding cross examination. Either you are testifying, and are thus subject to full cross examination, or you aren't. Otherwise people could testify as to what they wanted and simply refuse to answer any other questions. The price you pay for being able to tell your story in your own words is that the other side gets to take a go at you and challenge that story. Likewise if you choose to speak to the cops they generally don't have to shut their ears and can use whatever you say to them.

The bit about needing to verbalize your 5th amendment rights is some police friendly bullshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I guess I just need to get into the habit of saying "no comment."

• Locked thread