Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I went to high school in a pretty affluent area and the library was pretty much stocked at random. Lurid biographies of Lavrenty Beria, Stalin's greatest monster underling shared space with teen-lit romance novels and guides to programming your TRS-80 home computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am working in a school library this year, and guess what the most popular book is among the high schoolers?

Ready Player loving One.

Second most popular is that dumbass Selection series, which I hope ends up on IDEOTV. I think it would bring such exquisite rage.

I gotta be honest, I have a creeping feeling that the anti-Ready Player One folks are going to become deeply gross and unpleasant to the people that are pro-Ready Player One. Not accusing anyone in particular. Just worried that opposition to that franchise is going to be a way to display "true" investment in garbage consumerism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think RPO is close to passing the Twilight threshold where the backlash becomes more obnoxious and omnipresent than the thing itself could ever be

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
People making fun of RPO generally just have to post a couple quotes from the book itself

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I...would like it if teenagers read books of worth that are well-written, not hugely sexist, and not basically the Family Guy version of Ender's Game? Is that really a sign of my encroaching evil?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think RPO is close to passing the Twilight threshold where the backlash becomes more obnoxious and omnipresent than the thing itself could ever be

this sounds like wishful thinking tbh

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

this sounds like wishful thinking tbh

There presumably exist people who like RPO, but I haven't really encountered them in forms other than "I can see your point but I still kinda like it" comments

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

There presumably exist people who like RPO, but I haven't really encountered them in forms other than "I can see your point but I still kinda like it" comments

I've been cornered at networking events by guys who were angry because they overheard me making fun of RPO's popularity with another group.

In "nerd culture*" there exists a significant group who identifies so strongly with the material they consume and enjoy that any attack of the material is perceived as a defacto attack on themselves.

*A term that should be hated.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ran into some true fans at a party this weekend. They were... girls? :monocle:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh no make sure they stay far away from ukeleles :ohdear:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

WoAHHHHH a GIRL who is a GEEK? Time to be creepy and weird about that! Let me accuse them of being secretly men!

Man that was the secret worst part of RPO, you can tell Ernest Cline is an old nerd because he doesn't appear to know trans people who will feel like garbage if you accuse them of """faking""" their gender exist.

Or he does and doesn't care, but he seems more like an idiot than an active monster, so

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Did you ask if they ever had a sex-change operation?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Scorched Spitz posted:

Did you ask if they ever had a sex-change operation?

Being a creep wasn't a request

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Djeser posted:

Oh no make sure they stay far away from ukeleles :ohdear:
Good advice for all people at all times.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

WoAHHHHH a GIRL who is a GEEK? Time to be creepy and weird about that! Let me accuse them of being secretly men!

Man that was the secret worst part of RPO, you can tell Ernest Cline is an old nerd because he doesn't appear to know trans people who will feel like garbage if you accuse them of """faking""" their gender exist.

Or he does and doesn't care, but he seems more like an idiot than an active monster, so

"Oasis was the best thing ever to happen to black women, because now we can pretend to be white men!" Yeah...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jurgan posted:

"Oasis was the best thing ever to happen to black women, because now we can pretend to be white men!" Yeah...

I mean that was less about gender dysphoria than avoiding racism and sexism on the internet

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PJOmega posted:

I've been cornered at networking events by guys who were angry because they overheard me making fun of RPO's popularity with another group.

I've had this happen to me too, it's funny. I called it "'Member Berries' The Book" and they just got even more upset about it.

Also, this article seems apt for this discussion.
The Ready Player One backlash, explained

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also, this article seems apt for this discussion.
The Ready Player One backlash, explained
That doesn't actually explain the backlash; it's just the writer's own condemnations of the book. None of the reviews cited make any of the same points.

It's pretty obvious that Ready Player One skated by on sheer novelty. It got good reviews because critics usually read actual books instead of book-like objects of Ready Player One's stripe. To them, it was as alien (insular) as it was childlike (childish). A naïve critic could be forgiven for reading it as a modern version of Peter Pan, a story about a boy who never grows up and wins the day by realizing childhood fantasies. Armada backfired because Cline is a one-trick pony - doing exactly the same trick twice in a row showed just how little creativity went into it in the first place and underscored how simple the trick actually was. In the immortal words of a great man, "Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."

As for the writer's points, I don't buy the idea that Ready Player One is bad because it doesn't cater to people outside Cline's own demographic. It's an exercise in idealizing his own youth, an expression and retroactive fulfillment of the wish to have seen every cool movie in the theater, beaten every game without the Nintendo Power guide, pitted every action figure on every shelf against the rest in a truly ultimate showdown. Why should femininity or blackness figure into the idle childhood daydreams of someone who was and is neither? I don't even think that the idea of this nostalgic swarm of pop-culture references is bad inherently. It's bad here because it's laboriously, superciliously exhaustive (the article's "gatekeeping" accusation is perfectly valid), because it's all patronizingly explained and treats the reader as an outsider (rather than including them in the ostensibly shared experience that allusions are built on), because the book doesn't take even the slightest distance in perspective from the fantasy (let alone make the outright rejection that it demands - even the Darlings and Lost Boys had to leave Neverland behind), because, in the end, the pandering is desperately joyless. These problems would not be fixed by a more culturally inclusive pool of references; if anything, they'd be exacerbated, the endless, heartless cataloguing doubled at least, the sputtering spark of whatever childhood joy Cline ever took in movies or music all but smothered out completely. And if it's given that there is a sincere element of juvenile escapism, to blame Cline for his book's cultural blind spots is to blame him for having been a child in the '80s - or at all.

Of course, even if the book's mess of pop culture had been handled competently, there's the small matter that the actual substance it's slathered around is pretty slim pickings. But despite the cover's insistence that Ready Player One is "a novel", it seems beside the point to actually treat it as one.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 28, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The article isn't really about the book having cultural blindspots though. It's more that Cline is incapable of writing anything of substance and that the pop culture worship gatekeeping in the geek community is exactly what lead to gamergate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A naïve critic could be forgiven for reading it as a modern version of Peter Pan, a story about a boy who never grows up and wins the day by realizing childhood fantasies.

That's the point. Gamergate took a lot of the garbage sloshing around in the nerd community and shone a light on it. Reviewers and opinion writers were stripped of that selfsame naivety that allowed them to look at RPO through Rose colored glasses. I guarantee you the people reviewing it for NYT didn't enjoy it, but thought "well it isn't for me, other people are liking it, so therefore it must simply not be for me and I should review it for it's audience." Which was based on a false imae of an audience that was largely alien to them if it existed at all in the way they imagined.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

The article isn't really about the book having cultural blindspots though. It's more that Cline is incapable of writing anything of substance and that the pop culture worship gatekeeping in the geek community is exactly what lead to gamergate.
The author ties it specifically to Gamergate's exclusion of women and minorities and spends a fair amount explaining how "crucially, it is a world specifically for straight white men" (almost more by dint of its references than by its treatment of the female characters). Gatekeeping is a more central topic of the article - and I did acknowledge and agree with that aspect - but the issue of cultural inclusiveness was the aspect that I had the most to say about.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 28, 2018

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Ready Player One sucks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I think a big difference between Armada and RPO and their critical receptions is the story. In RPO, the references, as clunky and invasive as they are, make sense for the story, because the story is all about knowing references. Armada, on the other hand, is not a story where references are central to the narrative, but are instead tacked on to a different story. I think that also affected the difference in reception.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Gatekeeping is a more central topic of the article - and I did acknowledge and agree with that aspect - but the issue of cultural inclusiveness was the aspect that I had the most to say about.

Gatekeeping in nerd communities contributes to the shutout of non-white-cis-het-male voices, it directly ties into the cultural inclusiveness because so much “geek” stuff is written by and for straight white dudes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That's fair. The complaint always came off to me like holding Cline or his work accountable for the segregation of the pop culture he draws on (either in its tone or maybe just because I'm an idiot), but treating his success as symptomatic of it makes a lot more sense.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This week's episode is all about The Bible Code, and boy does it deliver.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh man, I remember watching a History Channel special about the Bible Code back in the day, I think they even brought up the Moby Dick contest. This was a really fun episode, but lol at Clsn getting pissy about people online posting gifs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh man, I remember watching a History Channel special about the Bible Code back in the day, I think they even brought up the Moby Dick contest. This was a really fun episode, but lol at Clsn getting pissy about people online posting gifs.

I agree with him on that.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Oh hey, Chris and Ted Leo digressions this week. I hope Ted's doing okay. He's had some rough years. Hanged Man conveyed a lot of raggedness.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I took a break from 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back after getting burned out on the internet backlash against Ready Player One leading up the movie's release (unsurprisingly it also devolved into a bunch of terrible nerds reciting lists of references and parroting catchphrases at each other) and what the gently caress happened to that show? I knew that Mike Nelson was conservative and Christian but he mostly kept it out the podcast so I never really cared, but then the first episode I come back to is co-hosted by his tryhard hip cool pastor and the entire opening is them shilling for their Christianity podcast they host together. It's astoundingly tone-deaf for a guy who harps at length about Cline pushing his atheism in his books.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think that bringing on a co-host from a podcast that he already has and plugging that podcast for a few minutes out of a two-hour episode is quite the hypocrisy that you're making it out to be.

You're acting like the podcast got hijacked as a vehicle for Christianity, but the thing you're mad about is that Mike Nelson mentioned being a Christian in a segment completely divorced from the episode's actual content. Get over it. This is like saying, "I was a fan of We Hate Movies, but then they turned the show into an infomercial for razors!" And that actual shilling is about twice as prominent as the plug here.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 11, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/IDEOTVPod/status/984268271066103809

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode is up on Mazes and Monsters! Disappointing because I was expecting the book equivalent to the Dark Dungeons Chick Tract and instead got family drama with a side of D&D.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
That explanation of 'after school special' was excruciating. But the ska digression made up for it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I was really surprised to learn the hat thing was in the book and not an invention of the movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Permotriassic posted:

That explanation of 'after school special' was excruciating. But the ska digression made up for it.

Agreed, Collision goes too hard in the ironic bad humor thing all the time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Agreed, Collision goes too hard in the ironic bad humor thing all the time.

If he just didn’t lean quite so hard into the terrible punchline it’d be better but he’s always had bad delivery on those jokes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

While browsing through the back catalog I ran into the Night of the Crabs episode and it was loving hysterical. These guys get a lifetime pass just for that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

If he just didn’t lean quite so hard into the terrible punchline it’d be better but he’s always had bad delivery on those jokes

I enjoy his bad delivery and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I enjoy his bad delivery and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

I’m positive it’s intentional but I don’t find it that funny.

I maintain that Collision would be an excellent semi-regular guest, but his shtick doesn’t fare well as a co-host over dozens of episodes. I still generally like the podcast, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
From the F+ forums, as a donation reward from their 24-hour marathon for the SPLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTieWLq_bE