Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Sham bam bamina! posted:

From the F+ forums, as a donation reward from their 24-hour marathon for the SPLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTieWLq_bE

That's wicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SirSlarty posted:

That's wicked.

Does that mean Heston died? :ohdear:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A whole year ago.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
shark book :holy:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Jaws the book sucks rear end, Clsn, how can you possibly prefer the boring marital drama to the loving shark!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best part about this episode is definitely J and Collision having two wildly different versions of the book

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It really makes it special.

"In mine, it's an ear of ripe corn."

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sham bam bamina! posted:

From the F+ forums, as a donation reward from their 24-hour marathon for the SPLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTieWLq_bE

i was literally thinking of heston today and how much i missed his click-clacking in the background of the show

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
This episode was actually fun! I like it when they have fun.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Oh boy, the newest episode is gonna get them some spicy emails, but I love that they're doing it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

When I saw that title I was filled with a mixture of dread and gleeful anticipation. Listening to it now.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 14, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This episode is so loving good.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I think I must be slightly too young for the podcasts I listen to because every host of every podcast I listen to has this breathless enthusiasm for The Simpsons, but no one I knew growing up cared much about it beyond "that's the other show by the Futurama guy."

Maybe I just grew up with a bunch of squares (entirely possible, my childhood years were split between Mormon country and military bases) or maybe it's because I only saw the apparently lower-quality later seasons but it's a little baffling, like if everyone a few years older than you agreed that Yes, Dear was some kind of comedic touchstone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Djeser posted:

I think I must be slightly too young for the podcasts I listen to because every host of every podcast I listen to has this breathless enthusiasm for The Simpsons, but no one I knew growing up cared much about it beyond "that's the other show by the Futurama guy."

Maybe I just grew up with a bunch of squares (entirely possible, my childhood years were split between Mormon country and military bases) or maybe it's because I only saw the apparently lower-quality later seasons but it's a little baffling, like if everyone a few years older than you agreed that Yes, Dear was some kind of comedic touchstone.

Pretty much every season of the Simpsons to season 9/10 (depending on who you ask) is pure gold and it quickly begins a downward slide into complete sitcom mediocrity past that.

May I ask when you were born? I'm a '94 baby and everyone I knew as a kid would watch it regularly at the minimum with Futurama/Family Guy/South Park depending on how much their parents cared about swearing and violence.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 14, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Improbable Lobster posted:

Pretty much every season of the Simpsons to season 9/10 (depending on who you ask) is pure gold and it quickly begins a downward slide into complete sitcom mediocrity past that.

May I ask when you were born? I'm a '94 baby and everyone I knew as a kid would watch it regularly at the minimum with Futurama/Family Guy/South Park depending on how much their parents cared about swearing and violence.

I'm slightly older than you, but a contributing factor may be that I had no real way of watching television until the early 2000's.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think Spongebob has taken its place as a cultural touchstone right down to the fact that it keeps getting new seasons that nobody on the internet watches and most people agree are pretty bad.

Anyway, I hope someone draws a picture of Elmo domming Nelson Muntz and sends it to Jordan Peterson

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was born in '90 and The Simpsons I grew up with is some of the funniest television I've seen in my life, still to this day. I'll sometimes come across references in the earlier seasons nowadays that I probably didn't understand as a kid and I'll think "Holy poo poo" because they were on fire for at least a straight decade there.

It was probably right around 9/11 that I noticed the show wasn't anywhere near as funny anymore, and it never recovered after that.

I mean it's had almost 30 seasons so they can't all be winners when you go on that long, but the first 10 (give or take a couple) are seriously all-time greats that still hold up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Simpsons is one of those things like Saturday Night Live and late night talk shows where there was a time when they were genuinely important and subversive and hugely popular but they just kept going long past the point where anyone cared and aside from the odd annual slow news day puff piece about what pop culture figure they totally eviscerated that year they may as well have been put down a generation ago. That said its ratings peaked in its second season and it spent most of its golden years still several dozen spots down on the Nielsen ratings of the time, it was never on the same level of something like Cheers or Seinfeld in terms of actual popularity even if the fans it did have were fairly devoted. The guys who run Talking Simpsons did an episode of their old show about the history of the simpsons that deals a lot with why people at the time hold the show in such high esteem and why it was so important in more or less inventing the modern television animation production pipeline. http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2017/06/19/how-the-simpsons-changed-the-world-laser-time/

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Essentially only 90's kids will get this

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I didn’t start watching golden age Simpsons until college a few years ago and I was stunned by how it completely lived up to the hype. The best episodes are written like clockwork, with gags every few seconds, and even a lot of the B-tier episodes in that era are some of the funniest TV I’ve ever seen.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I was (unfortunately) recently gifted a digital copy of 12 Rules and searched for that Nelson passage. Collision doesn't do justice as to how out of nowhere that pops up. One minute Peterson is talking about how women shouldn't parent their husbands and in the next paragraph it immediately goes into "It is for this reason that Nelson Muntz is necessary..." and the paragraph after that shifts gears again into how "feminization" of men is responsible for the rise of "fascist entertainment" like Fight Club and Iron Man, the election of Trump and the rise of the alt-right. It's like each paragraph was taken from a different blog post.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 16, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was ragging on "What would they do" a couple pages back but it worked perfectly in this one

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Chad Jihad posted:

I was ragging on "What would they do" a couple pages back but it worked perfectly in this one

Same, they really knocked it out of the park with that one

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Leave That Thing Alone is back.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
SMH at calling former jailblazer and nba champion Sheed a "second tier" basketball player
Ball don't lie!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Jordan Peterson is now doing videos for PragerU. Why am I not surprised?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also look into your hearts and you know Dave Franco has always always been more charming and cool than James Franco

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I relistened to the 12 Rules For Life episode, and I am still laughing at Peterson's hatred for Elmo, which makes him come of as an eleven year old edgelord at Newgrounds ca 2002.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This week, Jay and Chris try to find out why The President is Missing. He isn't.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
She President is Missing

There, I changed a letter. You're welcome Clsn.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
They did the Steven Seagal book. :toot:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

And 10 days after the fact, my social recluse of a best friend texts me that he's loving livid I didn't tell him I won the Shaq/Gyro contest.

...That was how I find out I won.

(I did the weird one at the end, not the amazing rap.)

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
New ep

Best letters segment ever.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The dramatic readings dialogue broke me

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I never listen to the letters, which is mean of me as they've read two of mine.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Reminder that Dave Mustaine wrote a song about The Troubles that unexpectedly turns into a song about how rad the Punisher is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5o8Daw1ZsY

Dave Mustaine is an extremely funny/corny dude and you could give him as an answer to almost any World’s Most Famous Fan prompt and it would work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why doesn't anyone want to talk about Cozy Mystery Month?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Very disappointed that the otter book wasn't in a series about murder animals

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The patriotic music played after the eagle craps in a solider's eye should obviously have been Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why doesn't anyone want to talk about Cozy Mystery Month?

Honestly, because it's not a genre that I have any familiarity with. Plus, I'm very much not the intended audience for Cozy Mysteries, though I do like hard-boiled noir so I'm enjoying seeing the overlaps between the two, like Bizarro universes of each other. I will ask this though: where do you fall on "the reader should be able to solve the mystery in the course of the story"? Because I disagree with J on this. If I can (or am expected to) solve the mystery ahead of the character then I'm focusing on that more than on the characters and, if I do, I feel like it creates a weird meta-textual issue of questioning the protagonists competence that they artificially do not puzzle it out.