Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

As an additional supplement to the podcast here is William Poundstone's Keeler News article "'Trapped in the Closet': The Webwork Opera" http://mysteriousmri2.googlepages.com/65kn.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Collision actually making an effort to finish the plot in 60 under threat has improved the episodes a not-insignificant amount.

Agreed. I don’t expect him to succeed every time, but for a while there he wasn’t even trying, and it made the whole thing drag.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This is one of the few episodes where Jay and Chris' denunciations make it sound like I'd love the non-racist parts of the book.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jurgan posted:

Agreed. I don’t expect him to succeed every time, but for a while there he wasn’t even trying, and it made the whole thing drag.

He pretty obviously thought that loving it up was a Hilarious Bit that was only improved by playing it up, so thank God his girlfriend (?) put her foot down for all our sakes.

More on topic, this book sounds absolutely loving hilarious and I wish it wasn't so incredibly racist, it sounds like a Pulp Crime Novel version of Stardust the Super-Wizard or something.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
More books need to have more plot and character relevant skulls

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I Before E posted:

This is one of the few episodes where Jay and Chris' denunciations make it sound like I'd love the non-racist parts of the book.

I went out and got the like 1.99$ Kindle version just to marvel at the thing.

And Keeler's long dead so I don't have to feel bad about supporting a racist!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

He pretty obviously thought that loving it up was a Hilarious Bit that was only improved by playing it up, so thank God his girlfriend (?) put her foot down for all our sakes.

More on topic, this book sounds absolutely loving hilarious and I wish it wasn't so incredibly racist, it sounds like a Pulp Crime Novel version of Stardust the Super-Wizard or something.

I got more of a Gormenghast meets The Rocketeer mix of two fisted adventure and bizarre prose.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Yeah, you could tell he didn’t really try because he used such purple prose to describe every character and paused every couple words. Thank loving god he’s attempting to be concise now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Bring back Mike Sacco.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
"This book is bonkers." - J. W. "I've Been Trying to Get People to Call Me Doc, Doc" Friedman

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm so mad they won't do Modelland. There's allegedy going to be a Tyra Banks theme park, where I will live forever, waiting for a smize to come out of my faucet.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Bring back Mike Sacco.

Bring back Poncho Martinez.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

BRING BACK MY GIRLS

sry

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Picked up a Rich Shapero book after watching it languish on a public table for a week. I feel like I've completed some college rite of passage, even if I'm a graduate student.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I highly suggest checking out the website for that book because it features some of the worst-written Q&A I've seen. There aren't even questions or answers.

quote:

Q: As in your other works, the music is allied with the domain of higher powers, in this case Tongue.

RS: I expect this is why I’m obsessed with the intersection of words and music. Words do a fine job on their own when we’re talking about earthly things. But when we’re trying to communicate with—or from—the ideal realm, music becomes important. Maybe necessary. The domain of Tongue, and the way she thinks— It’s there on the page. But when I listen to the music, I feel her presence in a different, more visceral way.

Q: For the music of Rin, Tongue and Dorner, you turned to the Montreal-based band Elsiane, which features the otherworldly vocals of Elsieanne Caplette as Tongue. She’s a mean Tongue.

RS: That’s what I thought the first time I heard her. I had the idea for RTAD in my head for many years. I wrote the first drafts of the story in 1982 and 1983. When Elsiane’s first CD came out in 2007, I thought, “My god, it’s Tongue.” It’s a small miracle that this all worked out the way it did. Who else could bring what she brings to that character?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

This is an extremely confusingly horny book like you wouldn't believe.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

it's "write drunk, edit sober" not "write on peyote, edit on weed"

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Do any of the talking animals solve mysteries?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The author doesn't mean the murder cop Dorner right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This week IDEOTV is going after one of my favorite authors, Alistair MacLean.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Has everyone forgotten about this show? Because it's still good and strong and awesome and they just did another Michael Crichton disasterpiece.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I honestly just got sick of Chris. The Maze Runner was the point when I stopped enjoying the show and started putting up with it.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I still like the show, but the episodes have become a bit samey the last quarter.

They really need some guests on more often.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh hey I recommended this one :woop:

One of my personal low points of the book was in the part where they're all setting up for the big heist and the book says, basically, "Hunter brought his ship into dock and nodded at the dockmaster. Normally, he would have had to pay for the right to dock, but the rumor of treasure had gone around. The dockmaster expected that once Hunter returned, his generosity would be repaid. Many people in town had offered to help Hunter, with the unspoken assumption that they would be given some small share of the treasure."

I'm not doing justice to how incredibly :goleft: the prose was, but having the concept of gifts mansplained to me was just a perfect encapsulation of the experience of reading the book.

Additionally, my personal recommendation for a pirate book that isn't garbage is On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Despite being written in the 80's and featuring a female lead who spends most of the book in captivity, it manages to have far better sexual politics than Pirate Latitudes, and is actually fun and interesting. As a bonus, it's what literally every pirate-themed property since the 80's has been based on. Monkey Island, Pirates of the Carribean--hell, the story of Assassin's Creed 4 actually makes sense once you realize it's Tim Powers fanfiction with the cool parts sanded off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Honestly I feel like the "quality" of the books as material has been trending downwards the past year or so. I still check in and try every episode but I'm finding myself dropping a lot of them part way through.

There's only so much one can say about awful fantasy character names, bog standard bigotry, boring characters, and I feel like that's all been said. They're just not bad in any way that's particularly remarkable. This has been especially true for me where the book has been picked because it's popular or has a notable author, like The Maze Runner or Palo Alto.

Also I know this has been discussed to death but I wish they'd shy away from things that are more offensive than they are weird. Its an important thing to tackle and I agree with their views 99% of the time but I listen on my commute and getting angry isn't a great start to my day or a great way to unwind after work.

Edit: For what it's worth, the patreon episodes are often really good, there's so much fun material outside of the world of books that are bad, and the hosts sound a lot more like they're enjoying themselves which is always good for a positive listening experience.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, they've hit a fallow period, and I'm pretty sure the last episode that really had something new to offer was the Chuck Klosterman one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dunno I really liked the Harry Stephen Keeler one

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I read Pirate Latitudes when it came out and all I remember about it is that I read it in like a day because it was so short, and that you could tell that 90% of it wasn’t written by Crichton. I remember way back a guest on the podcast suggested that a bunch of his books were probably ghost written and immediately thinking about Pirate Latitudes and how that obviously isn’t true. His later books get pretty dire but the shift in voice from something lovely like Next and this book is very noticeable.

Deformed Church posted:

Also I know this has been discussed to death but I wish they'd shy away from things that are more offensive than they are weird. Its an important thing to tackle and I agree with their views 99% of the time but I listen on my commute and getting angry isn't a great start to my day or a great way to unwind after work.

Their reactions to it just strike me as not genuine half the time. Chris has said multiple times that he’s a fan of old pulp novels and as someone who reads those I can tell you the casual racism stops standing out after a while. Likewise, Jay’s said that he loves King but still reels at awkward lovely sex scenes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Do more books that are popular AND bad! Esoteric and bad is fun, but not every time.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Drunkboxer posted:

Their reactions to it just strike me as not genuine half the time. Chris has said multiple times that he’s a fan of old pulp novels and as someone who reads those I can tell you the casual racism stops standing out after a while. Likewise, Jay’s said that he loves King but still reels at awkward lovely sex scenes.
The Doc Savage episode was cool because they managed to get really hung up on racism that wasn't even in the book but totally could have been I guess?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The old bad media podcast standby of “we’ll go on a ton of nonsense tangents because we’ll do ANYTHING to avoid talking about this book!!” appears way more frequently than it used to, and sometimes it feels like they spend more time diverging than talking about the actual book. I still like it, but they need more guests and Chris needs to shut the gently caress up every so often.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they'd steer away from genre fiction more. I get that Jay loves cozy mysteries, but he doesn't have that much that's interesting to say about them. Go back to musician biographies and dime-store philosophical treatises. Or anything to do with wrestling because Jay talking about wrestling is fun when it's relevant and not just an excuse to not talk about the book they picked.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I dunno I really liked the Harry Stephen Keeler one

I did too, but less because they had much to say about it and more because the actual book sounded pretty interesting.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've only been listening for the last 3 or 4 months so it's nice to discover that their back catalogue was apparently even better.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I zone out when they discuss the book, and listen when they discuss other stuff, like in the last episode, when they talk about old bands and football.
Don't know if that is good or not.

Also that quiz is legit great:
https://quizzes.clickhole.com/which-one-of-my-garbage-sons-are-you-1825124556

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The white dude rapping was an immediate "*turn off* I'm uhhh... good rn..."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
They really, really need to bring more guests on the show, it’s more lively and fun and they’re a bit more focused on the book itself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear chat on IDEOTV?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BmKFgJJog

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
The RE book is something I've heard people talk about fondly (in a so-bad-it's-good way) and it sure seems it holds up? This episode got me determined to look up what Perry is all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I read like the first four RE books in high school and liked them, so they're probably crap.