Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did anyone else get annoyed they confused Clive Owen and Liam Neeson in the Series of Unfortunate Events episode? Especially attributing Neeson’s racist interview comments to Owen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I generally like this podcast despite its flaws, but this latest episode had basically everything that drives me nuts about it dialed up to 11, from the long warning at the beginning, to Chris purple prosing his way through plot in a goddamn hour, to whatever that “crap colored glasses” hairsplitting was. Does it get better after the first twenty minutes?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I generally like this podcast despite its flaws, but this latest episode had basically everything that drives me nuts about it dialed up to 11, from the long warning at the beginning, to Chris purple prosing his way through plot in a goddamn hour, to whatever that “crap colored glasses” hairsplitting was. Does it get better after the first twenty minutes?

One of the dramatic readings was HELL TANNER's ultimate John Galt speech that I thought was kinda funny. I personally don't mind digressions and overanalyzing but I listen to podcasts to fill dead air time anyway so my standards are low.

also the Hawkwind song about Damnation Alley they mention is weirdly cheerful for such a grimdark book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHR0JAro8w

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Plot in 60 seconds is just irksome at this point because they just had that other guest on who was transparently more prepared for his guest appearance than either of the hosts were and he did it in like 63 seconds and it had twice as many jokes!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like Atlanta Nights is a pretty :effort: choice for a show about bad books. I feel like they’ve been in a slump lately, has anyone listened to this one yet? I’m not even sure if I should bother.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I haven't been able to muster interest since Handbook for Mortals.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I haven't been able to muster interest since Handbook for Mortals.

Looking at my podcasts app, that’s around when my listens started being increasingly unfinished. There were some good ones in there (anything music adjacent is still good) but yeah, it feels like the amount of interesting material fell off a cliff. I think now a big part is that I’m out of back episodes I’m interested in so when a new episode sucks I really notice it.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I remember JWF posting that he was going through some personal stuff that was affecting his ability to edit; I can imagine it's also affecting his overall enthusiasm for the podcast. I haven't listened in a while because ... Yeah, I dunno, something about it hasn't grabbed me. I need something more over-the-top terrible right now, not just another poorly-written mystery. But, I still like J and Clsn (I still re-listen to the old Cool Cat episode when I need a dumb laugh). Maybe if they took a break?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Honestly yeah that seems like a good idea. J seems like he's going through some real poo poo(no judgement pretty much everyone is right now) and I wouldn't judge him at all of he needed a long break.

The biggest downside of the Patreon era is it dissuades people who need a rest from getting it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A break would be good. I also don't like any of the books recently. I would be an excellent bookfinderguy for these dudes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I've felt like their last 2-3 episodes, at least the ones i listened to, were just extremely low impact, low silliness... almost like the books they are reviewing aren't bad enough?

I think the last episode i really enjoyed was the Lemony Snicket one because i hate that series. I would like to se the pod return to dogging on more classically bad books, judging contemporary works isn't as fun because so few people writing today actually even try that hard.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just got tired of their "we're not judging you if you like thing, but our voices make it clear we're totally judging you if you like thing" shtick. Especially when it started getting applied to things it really shouldn't.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 20, 2020

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I miss the bad musician books. More of those. Maybe they're low hanging fruit but it's 2020 we deserve low hanging fruit.

edit: also more episodes with Lemon from F Plus

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mycelia posted:

I miss the bad musician books. More of those. Maybe they're low hanging fruit but it's 2020 we deserve low hanging fruit.

edit: also more episodes with Lemon from F Plus

I like the musician book episodes because both the hosts really love music so you get a ton of digressions they’re really enthusiastic about, and enthusiasm is what the show’s really been missing lately.

And yeah, more Lemon would be good, it’s a bummer he wasn’t able to do the Zardoz episode. That would have been incredible.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the last episode i really enjoyed was the Lemony Snicket one because i hate that series. I would like to se the pod return to dogging on more classically bad books, judging contemporary works isn't as fun because so few people writing today actually even try that hard.

J got really salty about that one. A lot of people were defending the book in the Facebook group. Plus, someone made a favorable comparison to Roald Dahl, and that really set him off about Dahl's antisemitism.

Lately, it seems like he's been taking criticism of the episodes very personally, to the point where he left that group because it was upsetting him too much. It's probably for the best- he's got no obligation to talk to fans if it's upsetting him to do so.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Maybe he should get a grip.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

J got really salty about that one. A lot of people were defending the book in the Facebook group. Plus, someone made a favorable comparison to Roald Dahl, and that really set him off about Dahl's antisemitism.

Lately, it seems like he's been taking criticism of the episodes very personally, to the point where he left that group because it was upsetting him too much. It's probably for the best- he's got no obligation to talk to fans if it's upsetting him to do so.

Whoa, that's a man who needs a break.

J, if you're reading this, we love you and want you to be happy!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

The Dahl thing really reminds me of what’s annoyed me about this show, where they’ll do a giant content warning about the slightest whiff of anything offensive. It comes across less as them being offended by something and more them making a big deal of having you know they think it’s offensive. Yeah, Dahl was a shithead but he wrote a lot of really good and influential stuff, and if you’re going to throw a shitfit because people like it that’s a bit much.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wonder if a slower schedule would help? Might allow for longer, more interesting books (and fewer duds) and for it absorbing less of their lives overall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A slower schedule would definitely help and it looks like they’re kind of doing that, I noticed an episode didn’t drop in Sunday.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Gee, I wonder why a Jewish guy would be extra-sensitive to antisemitism.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uhhhh... maybe don’t try to defend a book that a guy guy clearly doesn’t like that he made for his comedy podcasts about books? I guess I never really considered that as one of the consequences of the show, people clamoring to defend the books that get roasted...

I dunno, I liked that episode because those books do kinda suck, IMO.

The Atlanta Nights episode already feels really funny and good, they were clearly feeling stale and this episode has some pep.

Also authors of beloved children’s books with increasingly problematic opinions is a pretty hot button issue these days, and I’m quite confident that Chris and JW would be on the right side of history if the subject of JK ever came up. Let the boys read!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I feel like there's some unclear dynamics about how to interact on a fan page where the creators hang out. How critical are you allowed to be when you know they might see it?

Also, his dad died a few months ago and he had to handle all the burial arrangements himself in the middle of a pandemic. It clearly took a toll, and if withdrawing from interactions with fans helps him deal, then good for him.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh poo poo, that loving sucks.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, I didn't know about that. Awful. He absolutely should be taking any breaks from stress that he can.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

IIRC his mother has MS, so this whole loving year, man.

We should all do a mini cast, maybe it would cheer him up. I CALL TWOPLES

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Something like dramatic readings where we give our own spin on passages they read in the past?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m quite confident that Chris and JW would be on the right side of history if the subject of JK ever came up.

They've done a bunch of her books. But yes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

Something like dramatic readings where we give our own spin on passages they read in the past?

Yeah, I think that could be funny! Or maybe we could all read an excerpt from the same bad book.

E: or read the worst chapter from the worst book you can find? IDK I'm just spitballing.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 3, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

They've done a bunch of her books. But yes.

They did one pretty recently, I think. Pretty sure it was within the last year.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah that episode was good I thought

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that episode was good I thought

For sure. It’s one of the ones I started with after enjoying their Girl With a Dragon Tattoo episode and it got me pretty hooked.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They did one pretty recently, I think. Pretty sure it was within the last year.

It was one of her Robert Galbraith mysteries. They basically took the position "yes, we know who wrote it, we don't really care, let's just talk about what's in the book."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was listening to the Me & Mr Cigar episode last night and at one point they get to talking about the Soviet space dogs and J mentions he was researching it for a game he was playing (video game, i'm pretty sure) that expects the player to do outside research to solve puzzles and stuff. I don't think he ever said the name of the game. Anyone know what this is?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Secret World MMO definitely expects you to do that.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Secret World came up somewhere else I asked so that's probably it... much less interested finding out its an mmo

E: digging a little deeper it could possibly be this game The Black Watchmen as well.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 7, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, is J happy that Captain Dan has returned?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
he was amused and "pieces of hate" was discussed at length. he still thinks captain dan is a huge dork and deserving of mockery.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Still one of the most satisfying videos ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4G1T4lcCsg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I haven’t finished the newest episode (my shorter commute is making podcasts take waaaay longer to get through) but so far it’s actually... fun again? The break and the totally different book format at least got them out of the traps dragging down some of the other episodes this year.