Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Welcome back to I Don't Even Own A Podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode about Money, Pizza, Respect by notorious joke thief The Fat Jew. Warning, this book is toxic, and Jay gets really pissed.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Allroy Sez, the album with Alfredo's, isn't that good, Allroy's Revenge is a better album.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Crossover podcast question: is Sass Girls X the book John Toast read to open F Plus Live 3?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yeah, this was a fantastic episode. Just something about Lemon, J, and Chris talking music brings out the best in them all, like the stripping playlists in Candy Girl.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Collision and guests are both good! J just has good chemistry with a lot of people.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DoubleDonut posted:

I just listened to the A Spell For Chameleon episode and while I'd vaguely heard that Piers Anthony was bad, holy loving poo poo I had no idea he was THIS bad

The episode starts with a discussion about magical plant girls who are powered by piss, and then it gets worse

As the F Plus noted in one of their live episodes, gently caress youuuuuu Piers Anthony, for so many reasons

Random Stranger posted:

I overdosed on those books when I was young and they taught me to recognize completely poo poo books and that I shouldn't spend so much time reading poo poo.

The song in the episode is amazing.

I FUCKIN LOVE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There's a new episode about Level 26: Dark Origins, brought to you by the creator of CSI. It sounds like one of the worst they've ever read.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Improbable Lobster posted:

How do you type that out and decide that it's a cool, good name for your murdergimp?

If I remember from someone live-posting the book in another thread, the name "Sqweegel" comes from the sound he makes when he walks around in his body condom.

Anyone know what song plays during J's reading? It sounds familiar, but the midi-fication makes it hard for me to place.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The bad news is this book features heavy use of the phrase "drooling beav" and it sounds more like an F Plus episode about 15 minutes into the episode. I'm hype.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Guy Mann posted:

Amanda Palmer is such an oddly persistent punching bag for weird internet sweatbeards, I'd like to think a guy who raps about making fun of anime clubs and novelty pirate rappers would know better than to stoop to that level.

Counterpoint: successfully funding a million-dollar kickstarter and then touring without paying guest musicians and asking for more donations mid-show and referring to yourself as Amanda loving Palmer means you deserve any and all scorn and mockery.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
2112 was Neil Peart basically adapting a book that's already been featured on IDEOTV, Ayn Rand's Anthem.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The End was used in Apocalypse Now, one of the greatest films ever made, checkmate haters

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If y'all don't remember The End, it means you haven't watched Apocalypse Now or don't remember Apocalypse Now, which means you need to watch it again.

I will die on this hill.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Sounds like they had a great live show. The forum posts from How to Good-Bye Depression are absolutely F Plus creep, though

Boots even read part of it at F Plus Live 2!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

That just means you haven't seen Lethal Weapon lately.

Die Hard is better than Lethal Weapon, but only by a slim margin. They're both great Christmas movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
"New" episode is up, about a crummy, cheap, lazy detective novel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Some of the best moments in the podcast are Jay and Chris laughing at a music joke that's only meant for them, it's genuinely friendly and adds a lot to their chemistry.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I knew a Dilbert Guy book would be insane, but not that insane.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

YggiDee posted:

The last I heard from Dilbert Guy, he was convinced that Hillary supporters were planning to assassinate him for being a Trump dude, so he pretended to convert to the other side.

You missed the part where he, as a master hypnotist, sees how Trump is hypnotizing people (but it's good), and that because he doesn't see how Donald Trump is a fascist, anyone who claims he's a fascist is literally hallucinating.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It was pretty funny that they gleefully compared it to Robocop, and then said they were weirded out that an anti-violence book featured so much violence.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tiggum posted:

The early Andy Capp comics are not nearly as horrifying as these podcasters make them out to be. I mean, they couldn't and shouldn't be published in newspapers today, but you'd have to be pretty sheltered to find them shocking when you consider other media of the time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
God the horse's jokes were possibly the worst comedy writing I've ever experienced.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
With Eragon, you could read Dune or any number of fantasy books that the author blatantly copied, and they'd probably be more interesting.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Both Lemon episodes are solid gold. How much do I have to dump into the Patreon to make him a regular host?

He's really funny, and his music knowledge is at the same level as Clsn and J, so he just has amazing chemistry with them.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode out about Slugs. It’s pretty gross but fun, and Clsn says “murder-death-kill” multiple times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The sex scene they read was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
New episode is just a re-run of Necroscope, the first episode to feature Collision (although not the first episode to feature him as a co-host). They should have gone with a re-run of Ready Player One to “honor” the new trailer and poster dropping.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
They really need books that are fun to mock. Jay and Mike Sacco are having the times of their lives mocking Ready Player One and it’s one of the best episodes, but the Armada episode is so much worse because Jay and Clsn just sound defeated.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Drunkboxer posted:

The book is sincere and strange but works as a better unintentional satire than the movie does an intentional one. The movie is cool and good but dresses its characters as Nazis then pats itself on the back for being a big smart boy who figured out Nazis were bad. Also if you extend that metaphor the movie seems to imply that Jewish people (or Russians?) are monstrous bugs.

This is a dumbass take. It wasn’t Verhoeven saying that Nazis are bad, it’s him directly stating US foreign policy is fascist, here’s him saying as much.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Just for clarification, in Starship Troopers a meteor hits Earth and causes massive civilian casualties, and every human is up on arms about destroying the alien race that’s blamed for it without even giving a cursory glance to if that was even the cause. Starship Troopers came out 6 years before the US blamed Iraq for 9/11 and invaded it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's pretty clear that you don't actually get it, especially since you think the book is satirical

To be fair, he’s saying the book is unintentional satire, which I could grant him. For me, that falls apart because the book just plain ain’t funny, it’s a couple cool but poorly-written action scenes bookending a bunch of political philosophy on the terms and necessity of warfare.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Extremely geeky nitpick I will never get an excuse to bring up again: When they did Armor, they acted like the power armored suits were a weird addition to a war clearly based off of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, but they were misremembering because there was also power armor in Starship Troopers, if not in the movie.

There, now I may rest easy before someone shoves me in a locker

Didn’t the guy who wrote Armor literally say it was inspired by him reading Starship Troopers and wishing there was more combat?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The movie should have had them.

The military equipping its troops with lovely, useless armor and guns that barely hurt bugs is actually hilarious and adds to the film’s message, just like Robocop driving a lovely car.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing is, Last Action Hero, The Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers all own to varying degrees.

Also, they did a Patreon episode about the movie Starship Troopers
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958564888787394560
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958565525059141634
I would NOT like to know more :smug:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What the fuuuck, that's him?? I left Night Vale by the wayside a long time ago but I love this song and that episode.

Joseph Fink was also a goon, they met through SA, I’m pretty certain.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
This is one of the best episodes they’ve done in awhile, I really miss the four-segment format that allows for a free discussion of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I think a big difference between Armada and RPO and their critical receptions is the story. In RPO, the references, as clunky and invasive as they are, make sense for the story, because the story is all about knowing references. Armada, on the other hand, is not a story where references are central to the narrative, but are instead tacked on to a different story. I think that also affected the difference in reception.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Gatekeeping is a more central topic of the article - and I did acknowledge and agree with that aspect - but the issue of cultural inclusiveness was the aspect that I had the most to say about.

Gatekeeping in nerd communities contributes to the shutout of non-white-cis-het-male voices, it directly ties into the cultural inclusiveness because so much “geek” stuff is written by and for straight white dudes.