Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I haven't listened to the new episode, but speaking of overzealous "ooooooh boy this thing is so lovely, yikes, I dare not speak a word of it, but will instead elaborate on just how much I won't speak a word of it!!" to this day I'm still curious about what possibly could've happened to elicit that response in Hammer of the Gods, a book about a band I'm not even into. I mean, I can probably hazard a guess, but still, I hate that sort of poo poo. Either mention it or don't. The whole premise of this show is about how bad books are bad, and they tend to go in the direction of dancing around those bad things rather than leaning right into them, which does the whole thing a disservice imo.

I listen to a lot of different podcasts and haven't gotten around to a huge portion of this one, so maybe I've just randomly picked ones where this happens a lot, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

neongrey posted:

And as for sliding over all the rape in Hammer of the Gods, yeah, i mean, it's bad-as-in-quality books, not bad as in that poo poo. It's also pretty famously in there; I guess if you knew nothing at all about the book you wouldn't know that but I feel like that comes up almost every time the book is mentioned at all.

e: though honestly I do wish they'd at least mentioned 'hey we're skipping over a lot of rape to look at the other ways this book is awful' because not mentioning at all sort of feels like it's waving it off. 'we're skipping some lovely stuff' leaves it a little... eh. NBD as it goes but yeah.

Yeah, I'd never even heard of the book before. I just chose that ep because I like listening to them talk about trashy rock bios. A brief mention like that would've been the right way to treat it.

In case my post came off as callous, I'm totally down with being sensitive to those types of things; they just take it too far sometimes.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Ironic Twist posted:

doublepost, but if you haven't listened to the Scar Tissue one then that's probably closer to what you want, or Candy Girl

Those are both done & done. I think I've covered the entirety of their "trashy bio" section, haha. Candy Girl was good-- as an F+ fan, Lemon is always a treat.

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 20, 2017

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

It was a while into the podcast when I realized that the whole family wasn't composed of pigs on a surreal adventure. Barley and Maple certainly didn't help.

100% same

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Speaking of, now everything that I personally know about gene simmons comes from the radio call-in that chris linked in the show notes; it's absolutely bonkers, a huge recommend. I'm glad I listened to it at home by myself instead of out in public somewhere due to the range of facial expressions I unconsciously made in response to it

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know why I listen to this podcast when so many of the books they review are painful to listen about. Does anyone else do this?

Whenever the book at hand is an action/thriller starring Tough White Male Variant I've gotten to the point of just skipping them, they're all samey and I just kind of drift off and stop paying attention

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

All their patreon episodes are in this vein, just playing fast & loose with something strange or goofy, and a lot of the time it makes for far better listening imo. They did an old High Times, an Air Guitar handbook, f-ing Cool Cat Saves the Kids, a bunch of great stuff. I ended all my patreon pledges a year ago when money was tight and never resubbed to IDEOTV because I'd lost a lot of interest in the main show. If they split their 2 episodes a month between one book and one "book-like object" such as Skillset they'd be less stressed for time and possibly put out a better product, but then I dunno what special sauce they'd do for patreon people. Right now a lot of their funniest content is paywalled :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Yeah they said they wanted to put all of them on the RSS and were like "sorry if there's a big dump of dozens of episodes." I didn't want to manually download and store all of them so decided to wait for that. In retrospect I should have been way, way more skeptical of them actually ever getting around to it, so I also f-ed up on that argh

e: zero shade or anything toward them about it, I get that they've moved on to other things