Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
This podcast might be one of the first to get me to listen to an obscure 80s punk rock bad, thanks to J talking about "Alfredo's" by All.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
This episode must be karmic payback for when they called that Dragonlance book last episode worse than Money Pizza Respect.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Yep. It's a midi of Freak on a Leash, specifically.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
This episode has probably the best Plot In 60 Seconds I've heard in recent memory.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Finished listening to the episode, disappointed that they have apparently gone full morning zoo radio bullshit with all the sound FX.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I am wondering if the idea that Ender's genocide of the "buggers" was actually intended to be a tragedy of manipulation and misinformation, and the hosts just either completely missed it, or if they ignored that, or it just didn't hit.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Famethrowa posted:

You don't think it's weird that the book falls over itself to excuse every action of a cold, calculating sociopath 6 year old, who literally kicks 2 children to death and faces no real consequences?

Then when this sociopath commits genocide, we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

It's a creepy, manipulative book with a agenda.

Edit: also, the critique of the book as genocide apologia came way before Card was outed as a crazy homophobe.

It could also be said that Ender facing no real consequences for killing two children could also be a signpost that these people would also help Ender's genocide at the end. But that's probably putting too much thought into it.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Djeser posted:

Card has said as much in interviews, and it does show up in Kessel's essay too.

Also, I didn't get the feeling from the episode that they were missing the tragedy, no more than the essay does either. It is tragic, but the tragedy in the book is that Ender has to go through this experience, not that an alien race is exterminated. I don't think Card wrote it deliberately that way, but it's got that teenage myopia where the worst thing in the world is something that makes you feel bad. I think Collision's stance on sci-fi is harsh, but he's got a good point about how juvenile it is to have a book about genocide that focuses on how bad the guy who dropped the bomb feels.

I was under the impression that the novel was supposed to be about how militarism can dehumanize and other their enemies, and the detachment from death that remote warfare (drones, anybody) can cause. That these people saw in Ender someone who would kill without compunction, somebody who was useful to their aims of extermination. I get the impression now that Card didn't do a good job at conveying this, or is that wrong too?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Let me just say that I turned off after the dramatic reading set to Yakety Sax. That poo poo wasn't funny, and I don't mean in an offensive way. Except for being offensive to my ear drums.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
That's not a Jesse Ventura impression J's doing, that's more like the voice Arin put on during one Mario Maker episode of Game Grumps.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Doors made some pretty good songs. Jim Morrison maybe wasn't the genius he or these authors thought he was.

Somebody needs to give Collision a swirlie.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'd remember Ride of the Valkyries more than The End, actually.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Worst Bestsellers podcast also did an episode on Modelland as well.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I think the part about the ICP's wrestling career was the best part of the episode, myself.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Band books are the episodes I hate the most, usually because it means that it enables the things I hate the most about these guys: extra large music snobbery.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'd rather listen to the Dragonlance book review again than any of their band book reviews. And they said that book was worse than a book written by an actual misogynist and joke plagiarist.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Someone told my friend to read a bad book. I want to tell him it's bad, but this other person my friend knows might somehow take it personally. Then again, my friend will probably like the bad book anyway, being a straight, white male...

Why would they need to emphasise that? Shouldn't they have realised they're the living literal definition of "#NotAllMen" through their hatred of Ready Player One?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Say what you will about that guy, at least he isn't trying to indoctrinate children with right wing propaganda.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
That guitar by itself is better than anything J has ever done in his life. Including Chris Collision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

AstroWhale posted:

Yeah, that was a good one. Is there anyone under 60 that likes Kiss?

Creatures of the Night is some pretty good music.