Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djeser posted:

I'm glad Chris name dropped Foucault's Pendulum. It's got a really cynical and educated view toward conspiracy theories, yet it's still got a ton of the fun of all that secret knowledge stuff--the characters just know it's all bullshit. until it isn't

Yeah, anybody who feels like they could enjoy the Dan Brown kind of mystery novels, but a bit smarter, should get a kick out of the insane quantities of esoteric knowledge in Foucault's Pendulum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The other way around, Collision is great, the other guests just brought their petty talking points to drag the episode down

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh no, he chose a good book to recommend!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Citizen Kane would be a good recommendation, because 99% of people haven't seen it. Same for Jane Eyre. They are classics, but a recommendation from somebody whose taste you trust can push people over the fence on whether to read them / watch them.

Anyway, the point when the guests on the latest episode jumped a shark for me was when that guy scolded Collision (?) for "effortshaming" Dan Brown's music career. Just lol, what a loving pussy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

lol

Jeb Lund and Poncho Martinez should be on more often

yes, lol - lol if you think people listening to podcasts have a basic familiarity with the western canon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

Recommending famous classics instead of related genre media is really interesting and cool and not lazy and kind of pretentious, agreed 100%.

Except unironically, because people should read classics, and should be reminded of them on the basis of the reasonable expectation that they never bothered to look into them, on account of the education system failing to make them interested.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djeser posted:

I will not abide by the besmirchment of the integrity of Silly Bad-Book Podcast With Jingles

Collision is my waifu.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He should have recommended some garbage Mario lovely platformer because apparently recommending video games for children is superior to recommending great books that people could have overlooked due to being unfairly perceived as boring.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

:reddit: don't criticise my critics :reddit:

says the guy who brought his lovely retarded criticism in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alaois posted: