Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Honestly I feel like the "quality" of the books as material has been trending downwards the past year or so. I still check in and try every episode but I'm finding myself dropping a lot of them part way through.

There's only so much one can say about awful fantasy character names, bog standard bigotry, boring characters, and I feel like that's all been said. They're just not bad in any way that's particularly remarkable. This has been especially true for me where the book has been picked because it's popular or has a notable author, like The Maze Runner or Palo Alto.

Also I know this has been discussed to death but I wish they'd shy away from things that are more offensive than they are weird. Its an important thing to tackle and I agree with their views 99% of the time but I listen on my commute and getting angry isn't a great start to my day or a great way to unwind after work.

Edit: For what it's worth, the patreon episodes are often really good, there's so much fun material outside of the world of books that are bad, and the hosts sound a lot more like they're enjoying themselves which is always good for a positive listening experience.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wonder if a slower schedule would help? Might allow for longer, more interesting books (and fewer duds) and for it absorbing less of their lives overall.